• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 states ask Trump administration to end DACA

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton and officials from nine other states on Thursday urged the Trump administration to end an Obama-era program that’s allowed hundreds of thousands of undocumented immigrants to live and work in the country without fear of being deported.

In a letter to U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions, Paxton urged the White House to rescind the 2012 Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, program. DACA applies to undocumented immigrants that came to the country before they were 16 years old and were 30 or younger as of June 2012. It awards recipients a renewable, two-year work permit and a reprieve from deportation proceedings.

As of August 2016, more than 220,000 undocumented immigrants in Texas had applied for a permit or a renewal of one under the program, and nearly 200,000 of those have been approved, according to government statistics. It’s the second-highest total behind California’s estimated 387,000 applications and 359,000 approvals during the same time frame.

“We respectfully request that the Secretary of Homeland Security phase out the DACA program,” Paxton wrote. He was joined by the attorneys general of Arkansas, Alabama, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, South Carolina, Tennessee and West Virginia, as well as Idaho Gov. C.L. Otter.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Why don't any of the states involved not surprise me. Not coming together to support the Paris Climate Accords but to end DACA. Bravo

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Isn't Texas the only state on the list that this heavily impacts? I don't recall the other 9 having much of an illegal immigration problem.

Isn't Texas the only state on the list that this heavily impacts? I don't recall the other 9 having much of an illegal immigration problem.

The south has a large number of undocumented workers working all sorts of farms. Especially the types that skew towards harsher conditions. Like large chicken and pig farms. Especially in the humid South.

IIRC the south is the next largest destination for migrant farm labour after California.

Mesoian

Originally read this as DMCA and actually got a little excited.

But no, same predictable horribleness.

To be honest, I'm surprised it's still in tact right now. I predicted it would be the first thing to go.

Darknight

Sure lets remove these people from contributing to their communities and lets not collect end of year taxes (revenue) from them either.

These people are scum. You have a great example of a program putting people to work and contribute to the economy and be positive people over all. Nope cant have these people here living the good life. Kick em out now!

Of course Louisiana is in this.

they must be expecting people that didn't take the jobs in the first place to take it now? good luck with that.

Winning the civil war was a mistake

Nah, they just should've went all the way and purged the South of ALL Confederate scum and sympathizers. Take all their land and property and divide among the newly freed slaves, then keep an eye on the reconstruction to make sure no "rebel" groups rise up, and to stomp them as soon as they do.

KingBroly

Banned
Given it's an Obama program, I'm astonished he hasn't gotten rid of it already.

Trump wants it to go through the Judiciary. He gets what he wants in the end because of the SCOTUS slant while not getting backlash from touching it. The lawsuit will happen and we'll hear about it at SCOTUS in 2 years or so.

Dart

What is the reasoning behind this? DACA has helped me work (legally) to contribute to society, and pay for college and expenses.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Should have gone Old Testament on their asses you mean?

Should have displayed the severed head of every Confederate politician and officer in their home town.

Why any dreamer would live in redneck states is beyond me

Fuck Ken Paxton

Because most dreamers live in cities where the jobs are, and most cities, including Texas are much more liberal than the rural areas of the state.

It's not that easy for an undocumented person to just pick up and go, and hope to find a job. DACA helped so many young Americans by giving them a real shot to succeed.

They don't want to get rid of them. They want to be able to intimidate them. "oh, working conditions are shit? Maybe I'll just go call ICE"

Sciz

The state officials added in the letter that rescinding the program won’t “require the federal government to remove any alien.”

...but ICE will be more than happy to throw them on the pile!

Malicious fuckers.

Top Bottom