• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump 'wasn't aware of what scrapping DACA meant'

Zolo

I'm not in the US, so I don't have first hand knowledge of it. I just wonder how someeone can get to be at the position he is at and all he has done is 'oppose the previous incumbent'. It just sounds like the plot of a bad novel.

I am not saying this is not what is happening, but surely there are other influences that are fuelling this?

It's been mainly known at this point that his main source of info is Fox News despite his station. Trump essentially has a filter in his brain to not process information that he doesn't like.

Keasar

He didn't know, but he didn't care.

It had Obama's name on it and he therefore wanted it gone. He doesn't give a flying fuck what something does, if it has Obama on it, it's "bad" and he wants it gone. That's his singular method of working.

I'm also skeptical about the story in the OP, but to be fair the interview in your quote doesn't make him look any more knowledgeable on the topic.

It sounds like he is confusing DACA with a program in which illegal immigrants apply for Amnesty. He probably doesn't even realize only children can apply at first--it extends through adulthood but can only be applied for by/for children who were brought here when under 18.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I put more time and thought into my Life is Strange decisions than this guy does to anything he touches.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I call bullshit he always tries to do this "I'm not evil, I just didn't understand!"

He's a liar who wants to do evil but avoid the intense scrutiny doing evil will place on him.

Fuck Trump!

ItIsOkBro

don't believe their lies tbh

1) trump and republicans want this

2) trump and republicans are evil

3) trump is incompetent

4) republicans use trump's incompetence as a scapegoat for their evilness

He knew exactly what he was doing. The one coherent ideology from his administration is the politics of White resentment and this decision upheld that.

Reminds me of when he called the House healthcare bill "mean" and the various other times he has done something like this. At his core he is incapable of taking criticism, and he either lashes out or blames others when things go wrong. He probably spent hours watching and reading negative media reactions to this.

At some point people will learn that applying emotional terms to Trump's actions are often meaningless. He has no empathy for others, especially minorities. His initial calculations are often quite rational in a sense: he understands that his core following is all he has, and moves like this satisfy them. The fact that he can't stand firm after the fact and deal with the fallout tells you everything you need to know about him though. He'll never be satisfied with public reaction because the group most excited about his actions is not large enough for him.

Diablos

What a stain on the Presidency this man is. He's actually so dumb that he doesn't fully understand what it means to end DACA? This is where we are as a country?

Just unbelievable...

Zolo

What a stain on the Presidency this man is. He's actually so dumb that he doesn't fully understand what it means to end DACA? This is where we are as a country?

Just unbelievable...

Forget any crimes. Trump should have been impeached for incompetency long ago. Now Trump has the best job security in the world where he can literally watch Fox TV all day and keep his job.

I call bullshit he always tries to do this "I'm not evil, I just didn't understand!"

He's a liar who wants to do evil but avoid the intense scrutiny doing evil will place on him.

Fuck Trump!
Being ignorant doesn't absolve him of that. The only people that would be like "oh okay he's just an idiot " are Trumpers, and they would defend him regardless

norinrad

I'd love to see his reaction if his wife was affected by this. Doing this won't take attention away from Russia and North Korea Donald. The tape is coming.

wrowa

Are white house sources trying to make Trump look incompetent rather than evil? Because I honestly don't understand how you possibly couldn't grasp what scrapping DACA means. It's not exactly rocket science, really. I have never even set foot on American soil and I'm aware of the general implications.

Diablos

Are white house sources trying to make Trump look incompetent rather than evil? Because I honestly don't understand how you possibly couldn't grasp what scrapping DACA means. It's not exactly rocket science, really. I have never even set foot on American soil and I'm aware of the general implications.
He understands very little about healthcare too. He just wants to outdo Obama and he's hurting the country in ways we may never bounce back from. He's sick. Above all else he's a very sick man.

I agree though -- forget crimes for a moment, this guy is woefully incompetent and crazy and that alone should be grounds for impeachment.

Polk

Trumps version of Rockstars Bully. Runs at 480p/20 on Xbox one X but has many, very good optimisations and is a great looking game for just $99.99. DF reporting that it runs, looks and performs like garbage is fake news.
That's Mikie, not Skool Daze.

DogDude

Stuff like this is why the term fake news took of. Unverifiable bullshit. Hes talked about daca well before he ran for president. Everytime his aids do this though we get this same headline that reads like fanfiction. It's time to stop framing Trump as incompetent as face the much scarier reality that he and the people hes surrounded by have a good idea of what they're doing and they're actually going about doing it.

III-V

Fake news. This man has understood DACA since 2011. There is video out there of him talking about. He supported it back then. Now he is Putins and the Republican party's patsy. Many of them are absolutely over the moon with this announcement.

Even his with his bigotry, lack of political experience, etc., the fact that someone so unintelligent became president is the most shocking.

Come to the south. It's not that shocking.
People around here have made the act of being uneducated idiots a fucking art form.

If natural selection was still a thing, the GOP voter base wouldnt exist.

tbm24

I know Trump is a literal moron, but I don't believe this for one second. He knows good and well what ending DACA means, and that's deporting immigrants, more specifically latinos.

Diablos

I know Trump is a literal moron, but I don't believe this for one second. He knows good and well what ending DACA means, and that's deporting immigrants, more specifically latinos.
I don't know. Why else would he walk back his resolve to end it if Congress doesn't codify?

Like we are dealing with a man who talks out of both sides of his ass 24/7, it's impossible to know what he really thinks or what his true intent is.

He lies so much he probably lies to himself.

tbm24

I don't know. Why else would he walk back his resolve to end it if Congress doesn't codify?

Like we are dealing with a man who talks out of both sides of his ass 24/7, it's impossible to know what he really thinks or what his true intent is.

He lies so much he probably lies to himself.
Because he doesn't understand congress or legislation. Someone likely told him that having DACA recepients lapse = wide scale deportation that's going to cause a firestorm in ways he's never seen. Not understanding the consequences is different than not knowing what ending DACA means, and that's deporting immigrants which gives his base the biggest hard on.

Not surprising. He only got into office to undo everything Obama did because he's a racist who got super triggered that not only a black man became president, but also openly mocked him in a correspondents dinner.

Chichikov

This is BS. in 2016, he was grilled on Meet the Press about this very issue and accepted the consequences of his stance.

The man has no compassion or charity in him. He can be both clueless AND cruel at the same time.
And yet today he tweeted -

Congress now has 6 months to legalize DACA (something the Obama Administration was unable to do). If they can't, I will revisit this issue!​

I honestly think that he has no clue and whenever he is pressed on specific policy details he improvise and trying most of all to look good in the interview.

The only thing he may have been unaware of is how unpopular scrapping it would prove to be.

He absolutely knew what it was and has demonstrated that time and time again.

Zolo

If trump were a Dem and he made this statement. the REpublicans would try to impeach for being unfit for duty

Trump is the biggest example of how hypocritical Republicans truly are. Expect him to continue to be after he's out of office and they're criticizing the Democratic president as well.

WedgeX

Banned
Nah, he gets no outs for being a terrible human being.

Administration trying its damnedest to maintain some version of compassion by saying "whoops."

Oh, please. He's been teasing this for weeks. Someone could've explained it to him. Sounds like a bullshit story to make it look like Kelly or Javanka fought a good fight but didn't succeed.

Steejee

I think he understands the basics of it fine, the one line summary of it. He doesn't even remotely understand the wide ranging implications of it though.

Slime

Banned
I guess it was natural that the evolution of "he's new at this!" would be "he's too stupid to know what he was doing!"

Top Bottom