• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 years ago, PlayStation's marketing team won two consecutive console generations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelta88

91810_32013_10-years-ago-sony-won-the-turning-point-that-defined-two-console-generations.png

The Xbox brand never truly recovered from the Xbox One's controversial E3 2013 press conference and the aftershocks of the PR debacle are still being felt.
While sales of the Xbox One family of consoles eventually delivered a respectable ~63.7 million sales, as per UK regulatory filings, the reputational harm still exists today, and has even served as a kind of decade-long springboard for Xbox's current problems (Redfall's release, the perception that Xbox lacks big-budget first-party exclusives, etc).

Interesting retrospective.

Last edited:

radewagon

If we ignore the PS3 (which was an absolute winner in the long run and, IMO, directly responsible for modern Sony's success), Sony's home consoles have always dominated.

Pouring one out for PSP and PSvita, though. Love those portables.

Mr Moose

91810_32013_10-years-ago-sony-won-the-turning-point-that-defined-two-console-generations.png

While sales of the Xbox One family of consoles eventually delivered a respectable ~63.7 million sales, as per UK regulatory filings, the reputational harm still exists today, and has even served as a kind of decade-long springboard for Xbox's current problems (Redfall's release, the perception that Xbox lacks big-budget first-party exclusives, etc).

Interesting retrospective
That's Xbox One + Series consoles.

Wasn't the Xbox One reveal in May?

Anyway the Xbox recovered fine from the used game thing, i find it confusing why people go back to before launch for problems that happened due to bad choices made after launch. All Xbox had to do was decouple Kinect from the start and not have cancelled so many games announced in 2014.

The consequence was Xbox One not having any games for 3 years until 2017. That would damage any brand. Sony didn't have games for two years on the PS3 and almost went bankrupt.

killatopak

Wasn't the Xbox One reveal in May?

Anyway the Xbox recovered fine from the used game thing, i find it confusing why people go back to before launch for problems that happened due to bad choices made after launch. All Xbox had to do was decouple Kinect from the start and not have cancelled so many games announced in 2014.

The consequence was Xbox One not having any games for 3 years until 2017. That would damage any brand. Sony didn't have games for two years on the PS3 and almost went bankrupt.
That video was shown in E3 IIRC. Before that, people were speculating that Sony would soon follow Xbox’s route.

Last edited:
That video was shown in E3 IIRC.
I wasn't talking about Sony's video, I'm talking about what the OP calls the Xbox controversial press conference. I thought that conference was earlier.

Either way, Xbox One had a period of zero big exclusives for 3 years people wanted. The fact they survived that is still unbelievable.

Last edited:

Thief1987

Is this the gamers™ thing to overhype and overrate everything into stratosphere? It was a funny and smart video. Nothing more.

Doom85

Are people still clinging to that?

I mean, it’s easily their 2nd biggest mic drop in Playstation’s history.

Christ, Playstation began with their biggest mic drop: “$299”. Lord knows some SEGA employees still wake up in a cold sweat hearing that word.

Last edited:

Fbh

I mean sure Sony PR did a good job with that but MS lost that generation all on their own with the terrible reveal of the console, misreading how attached people still were to physical games at the time, and their insistence on shipping every console with Kinect which made it $100 more expensive than the Ps4

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Weird article. It talks about PS1 marketing in the 90s, and PS4 marketing in 2013.

But the two consecutive generations won are actually PS1 and PS2. Wii and Switch outsold PS3 and PS4.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom