• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[100% Star Wars] The TRUTH behind The KOTOR Remake in 2023: Sony thought the game wasn't cinematic enough.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's a fucking WRPG .. why does it need to be "CINEMATIC" ....

they're just feeding into the 'over the shoulder cinematic game' meme here.

You're falling for the meme yourself. I bet the devs just had a crappy game that wasn't going to work. But the narrative is "Sony only likes cinematic games" and you're falling for the lie too.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Few things on GAF have folk chewin their fists like Sony and cinematic being in the same sentence.

Maybe what it really entails is that the game looked like a guerrilla's arse considering its Aspyr

Exactly. Sounds like an old school Xbot crazed fanboy wrote all this. As if "those" type of games are supposed to be bad now. We have some sick people in this world.

Fuz

Banned

"cinematic"​

=​

CANCER​

• Combat was similar to FF7 Remake. Action but with turn based elements. Seems to be part of why Sony didn't think it was cinematic enough, but the overall presentation of the game seems to be the bigger reason.
  • Remake didn't aim to add anything new, rather further develop what was already there. Like quests and characters, they would be greatly expanded. Some characters were gendered swapped. All mini games returned.
Ok no, cancellation was a good thing after all.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Ehh. Yeah...but they own IP. Like with Ori for example.
With KOTOR they would not own IP neither dev studio.

That wouldn’t throw them off. It’s Star Wars, and that’s always a big draw.

They certainly don’t need to own IP for stuff they’re licensing. See Indiana Jones for example.

Yeah I’m sure this is totally real and the game didn’t simply look bad.

It’s most likely it just looked bad or middling. Aspyr isn’t exactly known for delivering AAA experiences.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Star wars prequel to episode 4 (1977) makes sense (for people who don’t know what KOTOR is) makes sense.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
If Sony put up funds (doesn't mention that in the article) they should be critical of the result if it doesn't fit their current vision for platform backed titles.

Look at it from another angle...would you (the royal you here....so...players in general) want a publisher to spend time marketing a game, create a bunch of tie stuff (like controllers, console bundles, etc) for a game that fails to live up to player expectations?

I mean sure...that NEVER happens in this industry, but maybe that was Sony's impression based on the VS and they didn't want this to be the first time a studio worked on a game in a silo and created a flop. It is a good thing they care about where their money is going.

The Stig

yeah im not sure about it being that cut and dry.

somebody pass me the salt.

no the bigger one.

...........thats too big

Top Bottom