• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1080p will come to Xbox One games, but at a cost

Loris146

On console you will never see every game at 1080p(1440p etc ) at 60 fps. If you target 30 fps you will achieve a certain graphic , if you target 60 fps you need to sacrifice something.

60 fps is a design choice.

TyrantII

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/19/6045141/diablo-microsoft-resolution

In my opinion, the Xbox One should be running ALL games at 1080p and 60fps. It should be a requirement. If your game doesn't run at 1080p and 60fps...go back to the drawing table.

I'm so sick and tired of the console getting mediocre graphics settings while the PC gets the luxury of tuning the game to fit the gamer's needs. Consoles should get the same treatment.

Resolution. Preformance. Asset quality & density.

Pick two.

Majine

Banned
Only it doesn't. Not sure what the point of your post is here - there are frame rate issues when the game gets busy on the Xbox. They aren't huge, but they are there. That's the entire point of the article, and digital foundry are *very* good at what they do.

I haven't noticed anything during 10 hours or so. Guess I don't have the eye for that.

Bgamer90

Banned

In my opinion, the Xbox One should be running ALL games at 1080p and 60fps. It should be a requirement. If your game doesn't run at 1080p and 60fps...go back to the drawing table.

I'm so sick and tired of the console getting mediocre graphics settings while the PC gets the luxury of tuning the game to fit the gamer's needs. Consoles should get the same treatment.

Heh, so you would be okay with spending $650+ on a new console?

Ont

I don't think my two year old PC can maintain 60 fps in D3, and it is certainly not something that I would even notice.

10 years ago this would not have been news.

BPoole

I don't think my two year old PC can maintain 60 fps in D3, and it is certainly not something that I would even notice.

10 years ago this would not have been news.
What kind of PC do you have? D3 is about as intensive as running a web browser

maybe OP is saying he wants to have the option of playing a game in 1080p/60fps with crap settings vs playing in 900p/30fps with better settings (texture,AA,lightning,etc) like on PC.

JohnGrimm

On console you will never see every game at 1080p(1440p etc ) at 60 fps. If you target 30 fps you will achieve a certain graphic , if you target 60 fps you need to sacrifice something.
Metro Redux is 1080p60fps on both Xbox and Playstation.

maybe OP is saying he wants to have the option of playing a game in 1080p/60fps with crap settings vs playing in 900p/30fps with better settings (texture,AA,lightning,etc) like on PC.
No, he's saying that he wants his $400 console to perform like a gaming PC, and if it doesn't it's because of lazy/incompetent developers.

ukpanik

Banned
"1080p will come to Xbox One games, but at a cost"

He is basing this off one game and applying it to "games".
A game that should have no problem running at 1080p/60 fps.
Good luck reaching 1080p with more graphically intensive games, where the "cost" will be much higher.

I am sure MS are pushing to get 3rd party games at parity.

Ether by having the games graphics or framerate turned town to the point where it can do 1080 on XB1 or simply locking it to a sub 1080 resolution on both XB1 and PS4 (EA UFC).
Just not looking weaker then the PS4 is the image they want to get out there.

Now I am sure EA will go along with that but I hope others wont.

Games already at 900p pre Kinectless SDK update I can see a slight sacrifice to the FPS + the extra horse power from the update getting it there though. Its future games I am worried about.

fedexpeon

Banned
Hmm, While Forza 5 is still the only game to run 1080p 60fps with no drops.

Please don't use Forza as an example of "decent" 1080/60.
Using horrible textures, bad AA, and baked lighting aren't a good example to showcase the power of the X1, but rather, telling gamers that they need to get used to these downgrades.

I would cry if I see those Forza trees again in a RPG or open world game.

macewank

what?

Do you know what 1080p and 60fps even mean? Based on the rest of your post, I'm guessing not.

Ether by having the games graphics or framerate turned town to the point where it can do 1080 on XB1 or simply locking it to a sub 1080 resolution on both XB1 and PS4 (EA UFC).

Games already at 900p pre Kinectless SDK update I can see a slight sacrifice to the FPS + the extra horse power from the update getting it there though. Its future games I am worried about.

I don't think EA will go along with it. They didn't with Battlefield or Plants vs Zombies.

Jomjom

Banned
Hmm, While Forza 5 is still the only game to run 1080p 60fps with no drops.

Every game is capable of 1080p 60fps on any console. It just depends on if the developer is willing to target its game for that. This gen I really hope devs do not because at least some of the PS4's power will go to waste.

Shin-Ra

With basically no AF, bad AA, pre baked lighting, 2D crowd, bad looking trees among other things, yes.
iYNrOAWSP8HyV.jpeg
ibrnSXw08BRLFF.jpg

iD5Fd40VRvlwg.jpg
iAPYApLRIsLJI.jpeg
I remind myself every time someone posts photo mode shots in the screenshot thread.

Jomjom

Banned

I'm not particularly worried about this because they have to compete with the likes of Ubisoft and Activision. Despite the fact that they are in bed with MS, the need to compete with the other big devs will keep them honest. Just look at the other games they've released where what you fear has not happened.

majik13

Enjoy missing out on every Nintendo game released for the next 5 years.

Lol, no, unless this is sarcasm?

Wind Waker HD 1080p
Bayonetta 2 1080p/60
Rayman Legends 1080p/60
Smash Bros 1080p/60
MH3U 1080p
Pushmo World 1080p

im sure there are others I am missing.

Not sure on what Yoshi, Splatoon, and Captain Toad will be though.

if they games arent 1080p they are ussuallly 720p/60

Edit: Bayo2 seems to now be 720p/60

This resolution stuff is becoming monotonous to say the least.

These so called "insiders" have created a monster pushing this stuff full throttle for months on end.

I have never known a generation like this

Wind Waker HD 1080p
Bayonetta 2 1080p/60
Rayman Legends 1080p/60
Smash Bros 1080p/60
MH3U 1080p
Pushmo World 1080p

im sure

Some people are just extremely misinformed about the WiiU.

Banned

Yes, because it's so easy and developers are just lazy and want to gimp their creative work they've put so much passion and energy into.

No op. Not when the majority of their customers probably don't give a shit about either. If this that important to you buy a pc.

Banned

Wind Waker HD 1080p
Bayonetta 2 1080p/60
Rayman Legends 1080p/60
Smash Bros 1080p/60
MH3U 1080p
Pushmo World 1080p

im sure

Wait, smash and Bayonetta are confirmed 1080p? I thought any Wii U running at 60fps was 720p, except for Rayman.

IcyEyes

No offense (of course), but I don't even know where to start to "correct" your post.

No op. Not when the majority of their customers probably don't give a shit about either. If this that important to you buy a pc.

People still care. PC gaming isn't for every one. Xbox 360 made being the best place to play multiplats their unofficial slogan last gen, but now that things have reversed it doesn't matter? That is not how it works.

Jomjom

Banned
This resolution stuff is becoming monotonous to say the least.

These so called "insiders" have created a monster pushing this stuff full throttle for months on end.

I have never known a generation like this

Um people dissected performance a lot last gen too. The reason it's a bigger deal now is because most games were not able to be 1080p and still maintain the developer's vision of the game. Now they are (for the most part on PS4) and when they aren't people are unhappy because it's a new generation and the problems of the past should not be the problems of the present.

Yoday

Yes, lets completely gimp the graphics for all platforms so that we can squeeze 1080p60 out of a GPU not built for that kind of performance. 1080p60 is a massive task to ask of the GPU that is in the XBO and the only reason that there are games that currently do it is because those games aren't demanding on the hardware. Even Diablo 3 see's the occasional slip up in framerate running at 1080p60, and that is a game that did nothing to push GPU's when it launched two years ago.

You are going to see the effects of this next year if they hold firm to Halo 5 being a 1080p60 game. Halo should be a technical showpiece of what the XBO can do, but requiring 1080p60 out of it is going to severely limit the graphical performance of the game. At the very least the game should be dropped to 900p60 so that it can try to keep up with visuals next year. People just need to accept that the XBO is not a 1080p machine and move on. If 1080p is important to you, then build a PC or buy a PS4 because sub 1080p is going to be the standard on XBO, and 1080p on the XBO will only become less common as the generation progresses.

Top Bottom