• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1080p will come to Xbox One games, but at a cost

DOWN

Banned
http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/19/6045141/diablo-microsoft-resolution

In my opinion, the Xbox One should be running ALL games at 1080p and 60fps. It should be a requirement. If your game doesn't run at 1080p and 60fps...go back to the drawing table.

I'm so sick and tired of the console getting mediocre graphics settings while the PC gets the luxury of tuning the game to fit the gamer's needs. Consoles should get the same treatment.

You better never say any 1080p 60fps game has shit image quality or graphics in your life then if you want to pretend there's no loss of quality elsewhere when aiming for 1080p 60fps.

Rembrandt

Banned
How can you say that? Do you prefer HD TV or standard def? The resolution and fps is basically the same. Once you play 1080p at 60fps...going backward is like watching standard def tv.

Because Ryse was 900p and still looks absolutely incredible. I really do not give a fuck about resolution, at least not to the extent of some of you guys, if I did, I would have bought a PS4 first or better yet, spent that money to upgrade my PC. 900p isn't standard def, you're being hyperbolic. Of course, I would prefer 1080p/60fps, but it has not and will never be a deal-breaker or stop me from enjoying a game. It's sad it's gotten that serious for some people where they can't even enjoy a game on consoles if it's not 1080/60; seriously, just buy a PC.

thing is... 1080p 60fps requires quite a beastly machine.. willing to shell out the money? The market has proved time and time again they don't want to shell out the cash.. so, the xbox one is the next best thing.

I would be more then willing to pay $600 for my next console if it meant being in the mid-high range in terms of equivalent PC power.

People keep saying it is impossible but I dunno. These machines are not for kids anymore and they are not being marketed to parents who may buy the machine for a kid for a birthday or Christmas or whatever.

I would really like the choice.

Both systems with the exact same architecture, but one just has way more ooomph then the other. So all devs have to do is basically up the sliders for the high end version and lower them for the low end version.

Low end machine = $300 or $400
High end machine = $600 to $700

Push the envelope. No more compromises. NO SURRENDER!

Makes sense!

Forza is 1080p/60fps but with graphical downgrades(in comparison with E3 build)

Killer instinct is 720p/60fps.

Ryse is 900p/30fps(with slowdowns)

Dead rising 3 is 720p/30fps(with slowdowns)

Titanfall is 791?/30fps?

Tomb raider have dynamic resolution and 30fps(with slowdowns)

I don't see this getting better specially with the graphics getting heavier.

It's a question of better developer priorities instead of better hardware.

Especially framerate issues. There are zero excuses for any 3D console game not hitting 60fps since the Dreamcast.

I would be more then willing to pay $600 for my next console if it meant being in the mid-high range in terms of equivalent PC power.

People keep saying it is impossible but I dunno. These machines are not for kids anymore and they are not being marketed to parents who may buy the machine for a kid for a birthday or Christmas or whatever.

I would really like the choice.

Both systems with the exact same architecture, but one just has way more ooomph then the other. So all devs have to do is basically up the sliders for the high end version and lower them for the low end version.

Low end machine = $300 or $400
High end machine = $600 to $700

Push the envelope. No more compromises. NO SURRENDER!

with that low end high end thing would require way too much work for the manufacturing process one will end up being phased out.. or re modeled.. and also lot's and lot's of bugs and compatibility problems.. Honestly the people who want what you're asking for own a PC just go into that direction.

Curufinwe

In my opinion, the Xbox One should be running ALL games at 1080p and 60fps. It should be a requirement. If your game doesn't run at 1080p and 60fps...go back to the drawing table.

I'm so sick and tired of the console getting mediocre graphics settings while the PC gets the luxury of tuning the game to fit the gamer's needs. Consoles should get the same treatment.

Most of the consoles best selling games can't run at 1080p 60 fps. Come back to reality.

shandy706

Are we going to do this all over again next gen with 4K Ultra HD games, being or not being native 2160p, at 30 | 60 FPS ?

I'm sure there will be plenty upset about it, lol.

I already run my PC games between 2880x1620p and (4k)2160p depending on the game. That's at a more than playable framerate in most games minus some recent ones. Arkham Origins for example can murder my card at 1620p if PhysX and all settings are cranked.

iyOMJg7v9lLH7.png

However, I still don't hold my console (and handheld) games to that. I'd miss out on a TON of great games if I did.

Even the PS4 is step down, let alone the X1 or a Wii U.

I don't hold it against any of them when it comes to great games though.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Because Ryse was 900p and still looks absolutely incredible. I really do not give a fuck about resolution, at least not to the extent of some of you guys, if I did, I would have bought a PS4 first or better yet, spent that money to upgrade my PC. 900p isn't standard def, you're being hyperbolic. Of course, I would prefer 1080p/60fps, but it has not and will never be a deal-breaker or stop me from enjoying a game. It's sad it's gotten that serious for some people where they can't even enjoy a game on consoles if it's not 1080/60; seriously, just buy a PC.

Yet the game was a blurry mess of garb, not fun to play as a result.

Huh? This is true for extremely old DOS games perhaps.

I've never tried a PC game made in the last 10 years that didn't "play at all".

But certainly there are times that you have to go into a config to turn off mouse acceleration or some such.
I'm still scarred by PC gaming circa 1999-2000 (I'm old, fuck you.). Steam has been a godsend for PC gaming. It's the only thing that makes Windows tolerable to me (Yeah, I'm a Mac guy). Once I figure out how to shut off all the default Windows settings that shouldn't be default in the first place, download a usable browser like Chrome or Firefox, and finally get Steam on my Windows PC or Windows partition, I reach an ocean of calm.

However...I PC game almost exclusively on Mac Bootcamp partitions, so Steam mostly works well for me. I've seen that it's a bit...fiddlier for normal Windows PC users. There's just so much shit that happens on Windows PCs that just shouldn't. Apps fighting for default status, apps changing basic OS settings....just...how do you live like that??

BigDug13

thing is... 1080p 60fps requires quite a beastly machine.. willing to shell out the money? The market has proved time and time again they don't want to shell out the cash.. so, the xbox one is the next best thing.

Don't we have constant DF comparison threads that have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Xbox one ISN'T the next best thing?

Either I'm missing sarcasm, or we're definitely seeing way different realities.

BigDug13

I am glad I am one of the lucky ones that cant tell the difference between resolutions

Is that a good thing then when a company decides something you can't see (resolution) is more important than something you can see (framerate)? How does that make you "lucky" when a company sacrifices something you CAN see for something you CAN'T see?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I wonder how much animations being rendered in 30fps has to do with the people who can't tell the difference between framerates.

Is that a good thing then when a company decides something you can't see (resolution) is more important than something you can see (framerate)? How does that make you "lucky" when a company sacrifices something you CAN see for something you CAN'T see?

I played murdered soul suspect on 360, which ran at about a cool 15 fps at some parts and enjoyed the hell out of it. I honestly dont care about both at all. I can see frame difference more than I can see resolution... when it is a huge difference like 30 vs 60 that is. As people have said in this thread, the drop in frames for diablo is minuscule. Just give me fun games and I will be happy.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I pose the question again...to those of you who enjoy watching Blu-ray movies...would you prefer to watch the DVD version of your fav movie or the blu-ray version?

1080p (and in the future it'll be 4K, if not already) and 60fps is absolutely the best experience in my opinion for video games. Anything below that is very noticeable and isn't the same experience.

If you haven't actually experienced 1080p at 60fps...then you can't really form an opinion...it'd be no different if you've never experience high-def TV. Once you go high-def, going back just isn't the same.

My wife and I saw 4K tvs at the store this past weekend and my god, it's incredible the amount of detail, it's obviously better than 1080p...but because of cost, it's not practical yet...but hell, once we get a 4K tv, there's no going back to 1080p, why would you?

Same goes for video games. I think the 30fps crowd out there simply hasn't played enough of proper 1080p 60fps.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
As my great-uncle used to say "Things less then 60fps and 1080p, into your possession they should not be."

I'm salty that I gave Kuchera a click, as he's a blatent troll and total ass.
That said, MS dictating that Blizzard must run at 1080p and causing the game to have framerate dips? I cannot even fathom how someone would choose 1080p over 900p with drops... seems like a(nother) bad move by MS here.

- Open link
- See author
- Close tab
- Feel sad for even giving a click to the Kuch.

Exactly.

SnakeEyes

Banned
- Open link
- See author
- Close tab
- Feel sad for even giving a click to the Kuch.

OP should have pre-warned us it was a Kuch article...

Don Lapre

The 750ti graphics card which has sold as low as $120 outperforms the next gen consoles. Next year it will a sub $100 card.

BigDug13

I played murdered soul suspect on 360, which ran at about a cool 15 fps at some parts and enjoyed the hell out of it. I honestly dont care about both at all. I can see frame difference more than I can see resolution... when it is a huge difference like 30 vs 60 that is. As people have said in this thread, the drop in frames for diablo is minuscule. Just give me fun games and I will be happy.

The fear isn't what it does to Diablo 3 which makes it 50fps instead of 60fps at certain times. The fear is "if there is a blanket mandate that anything sub 1080p is now no longer good enough, how much framerate are they willing to sacrifice in other games to achieve it?"

I pose the question again...to those of you who enjoy watching Blu-ray movies...would you prefer to watch the DVD version of your fav movie or the blu-ray version?

1080p (and in the future it'll be 4K, if not already) and 60fps is absolutely the best experience in my opinion for video games. Anything below that is very noticeable and isn't the same experience.

If you haven't actually experienced 1080p at 60fps...then you can't really form an opinion...it'd be no different if you've never experience high-def TV. Once you go high-def, going back just isn't the same.

Obviously people with Blu-ray players would prefer the Blue-ray version, that's pretty much the reason why they bought a Blu-ray. That wouldn't make the idea of watching a dvd out of the question though.
Then again if somebody said they couldn't handle watching dvds after watching Blu-ray , comparing Blu-ray/ dvd to 1080p/ 900p isn't really that great of a comparison anyway.

Pachinko

Ben kind of answers his own dilemma at his editorials conclusion - he's just going to play the PS4 version.

And in that regard, gamers do have a choice- They can play their games on the superior hardware (ps4) and not have to worry about resolution or framerate quite so often OR they can play on xbox one and suffer the differences and set backs.

I admit though, it could hardly be that difficult to add in even a dynamic resolution option that just bumps things down to always maintain 60 fps. RAGE does this but most games might not even have to go as far as it does. Maybe if you play solo on xb1 it stays 1080p throughout , perhaps even with 2 players in the same game ? but add in a 3rd or a 4th player and it drops to 900p to keep the framerate up a bit. Maybe the game drops down to 720p as soon as there are more then X number of particles and shit on screen (X being equal to whatever it takes to drop more then 5 frames in any given second).

Given players options never really hurt anyone but MS is really trying to downplay that hey have the weaker box this time out (and not just a little bit weaker either, it's actually far weaker than even the PS3 at it's worst compared to the 360 ever was). It's the exclusive games that will matter in the end and I think MS has a few good looking games so they should just focus on those rather then trying to fight a tech war in the shadows.

Yoday

The 750ti graphics card which has sold as low as $120 outperforms the next gen consoles. Next year it will a sub $100 card.
What? No it doesn't. The consoles out perform it on launch games. The 750 Ti is going to be closer to minimum spec soon enough.

sun-drop

so sick of hearing this from the verge. give it up already.

we don't need devs with a split focus on "versions" of games ... pick a framerate and rez ..and make yr game around that.

there is enough dilution of concept with having to cater for LCD with multiplatform devlopment .. don't need this shit mudddying the waters even more ..this is why PC gaming sucks .. keep it out of consoles , k thx bye

KoopaTheCasual

Well, I disagree with you completely. I would rather have developers like Platinum and FromSoft not worry about whiny tech enthusiasts and focus on making their games as mechanically sound as possible.

Because yes, prioritizing framerates and resolution takes resources and also runs the risk of affecting the scope of the finished game.

Mononoke

Banned
Ben kind of answers his own dilemma at his editorials conclusion - he's just going to play the PS4 version.

And in that regard, gamers do have a choice- They can play their games on the superior hardware (ps4) and not have to worry about resolution or framerate quite so often OR they can play on xbox one and suffer the differences and set backs.

I admit though, it could hardly be that difficult to add in even a dynamic resolution option that just bumps things down to always maintain 60 fps. RAGE does this but most games might not even have to go as far as it does. Maybe if you play solo on xb1 it stays 1080p throughout , perhaps even with 2 players in the same game ? but add in a 3rd or a 4th player and it drops to 900p to keep the framerate up a bit. Maybe the game drops down to 720p as soon as there are more then X number of particles and shit on screen (X being equal to whatever it takes to drop more then 5 frames in any given second).

Given players options never really hurt anyone but MS is really trying to downplay that hey have the weaker box this time out (and not just a little bit weaker either, it's actually far weaker than even the PS3 at it's worst compared to the 360 ever was). It's the exclusive games that will matter in the end and I think MS has a few good looking games so they should just focus on those rather then trying to fight a tech war in the shadows.

I think if the hardware doesn't have the specs to pull off 1080/60 then it shouldn't. It should scale back until it can have a consistent FPS + whatever resolution they have to settle on to get the performance top notch. MS just needs to accept that they chose to invest in other things instead of raw specs, and it is what it is. I don't even know why MS is trying to go head to head with Sony on this. I mean, I get it...they have to given they are trailing in sales, and there is so much negative press from the gaming community over it.

But I mean, MS's entire pitch for the X1 was that it was a game machine + an all in one entertainment center. So instead of focusing on going head to head with specs they can't, why not go with the "X1 experience"...ie all the stuff their console + service can provide you on top of the game. I dunno. It just feels like they designed their system around this philosophy and then abandoned it completely.

I dunno, maybe they can't. But as an X1 owner it sure would suck that we have to suffer because MS made a bad investment, and are trying to measure up to something they can't. For the record, I watched the DF video of Diablo 3 and didn't really notice the FPS drops as being massive enough to matter. I'm speaking more in a general sense (looking ahead to the future, where games will have to scale back things because of the hardware limitations.)

Freeman

Banned
If we apply the same logic used by some here in regards to TR2 timed exclusivity, if MS payed for forced parity it would increase the value of Xbox for the owners.

Omega

Banned
They're $400 machines...

I don't know what you were expecting. Well, I know what, but how could you?

Kind of funny when you think about it.

Always saying "you can't build a PC as good as the consoles for $400!" why would I when I can build a far better system for a couple of hundred more dollars.

1080/60fps is the bare minimum for me on PC, not something to aspire to.

This is actually given that performance of x1 will take a hit if they want same image IQ at the same resolution

Bit OT
Is this something new at polygon ?

The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, Polygon as an organization.

I've never seen that for their stuff before

majik13

I wonder how much animations being rendered in 30fps has to do with the people who can't tell the difference between framerates.

99.99999%

Im not sure I understand this comment. If it is real time in game animation, it is not rendering or set to pre determined frame rate. Yes something can be keyframed initially at 30fps but the machine will interpolate however many frames you want inbetween keyframes. Resulting in smoother animation. Unless I am missing something.

However things like animated sprites and pseudo 3D fx like smoke and sparks can sometimes be locked to 30fps while rendering in a 60fps engine.

KoopaTheCasual

Kind of funny when you think about it.

Always saying "you can't build a PC as good as the consoles for $400!" why would I when I can build a far better system for a couple of hundred more dollars.

1080/60fps is the bare minimum for me on PC, not something to aspire to.
Money.

Mononoke

Banned
To hell with that. I don't need nor want 1080p 60fps in every game.

I think if it's achievable, all games are better at 1080p 60fps (even if certain genres aren't night and day better). But it's not worth sacrificing performance to hit it, if the hardware has limitations and can't pull it off. At this point, I feel like MS fans bought the X1 because Xbox Live and the MS brand (ie first party titles, and things associated with the brand). They aren't going to stop playing their X1 because the PS4 has the same games at better performance.

So I'm not sure why MS is so focused on trying to compete this way. I guess maybe they are looking at potential new customers? And they think new customers will go with PS4 over X1 because it has better spec/performance overall? Well, that's the consequences they made for investing in the wrong things.

However, as I said in my post above, they should start focusing on ways to better sell the overall X1 experience instead of trying to compete in somewhere they can't. They have to live up to their investment (even if it failed), and find new ways to sell the X1 experience to new customers.

Top Bottom