• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11-yr-old Boy Bullied for Being A Brony Fighting for Life After Suicide Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect we may have had either wildly different experiences growing up, or that we took vastly different things away from problems related to this issue. Mine was simple: No one cares. The teachers are overloaded. Reprisal gets you punished. Keep your head down and survive.

Yes, there are laws and rules there, but as a kid you quickly find that there a is a huge social cost to using them. You also find that that the bullies are really good at doing this behind the backs of authority figures, so that there's no "paper trail" for people to look into. You have a faith in the ability of governmental regulation and pressure to remedy this issue that I find incredibly naive, based on my ~14 years growing up through school. You call my viewpoint "ignorant and apathetic", but from my perspective, it's simply realism.

I think there are two angles to view this from. The first is the idealistic view, the right thing to do, what we should strive for, the perfect situation, laws that work and protect people, and so forth that a lot of people keep pushing. I think that's great. We should strive to be better. We should push the right ideals to improve society by embedding these beliefs at a young age. We should continue doing all these things and trying to influence others to do so.

Then there's the second view which is that's great and all, but you can't fix everything in a day. There's the real world situation that we have to deal with and even though we should go on the offensive of pushing ideals, we also need to be defensive for how the real world is. We can't get rid of crime, we can't get rid of prostitution, we can't get rid of people killing each other, we can't get rid of abuse and addiction, and we can't get rid of people being mean to each other. We can't try to reduce it as much as we want, and pitch how the world should be, but in the end, to some degree, these factors will exist and we need to be realistic about it and prepare our kids to deal and understand with the situation.

It shouldn't be about one view or the other. People should tackle both. Because like this is in response to, sure there are laws, but that doesn't mean they always work and protect. You can't always rely on those things to protect you because in the real world, things don't always work or don't always work for everyone.

As a parent, I know I'm going to struggle to find where to draw that line of letting my kid be who they are and doing what they want to do versus trying to do what I can to protect them or keep them as safe as possible. I know full well there are many things out of my control, but I have to at least try and hopefully reduce some risk to increase their safety and well being while at the same time preparing them for those situations and how they should react and handle them.

Shouta

Schools are getting better but still have a long way to go with the bullying problem.

I got a call to come pick up my 9 year old son from school recently because he had been in a fight after school and ended up missing the bus. I was surprised as he's easy going and gets along with everyone, and pretty much knows everyone since he plays so many sports. It seemed odd.

I get there and he's all upset - he gets very emotional, especially when he thinks things are unfair. Turns out some dirtbag kid was giving one of the kids in his class, who is a special needs kid, shit about being stupid or other shit related to his special needs. My son tells him to stop, the other kid tells him to fuck off and keeps doing it and my son sees red and pops him. Cue drama and the principal's office.

The principal lets me know that my son will be missing recess for the following week as punishment. I let the principal know that while I can't dictate what happens in school, his punishment on the home front was going to be along the lines of taking him out for ice cream right now and then congratulating him and letting him know how proud I was of him afterwards.

I understand you can't have kids belting other kids willy-nilly. I told him he had to take his punishment like a man. I also told him if it happens again to feel free to pound that kid again. Kids need to learn there are consequences to what they do. If you're gonna be a dipshit to kids weaker than you than you better be prepared if they have friends.

I guess my question is, am I crazy? Sometimes I feel very old-fashioned because, well, I am old. :) My wife was all like "violence isn't the answer", but I feel like sometimes yeah, it is. I'm pretty sure that kid is going to think twice about picking on that kid again. I grew up in a boys-don't-cry-rub-some-dirt-on-it era and worry that I'm out of touch. I don't know.

Not crazy. Your son did good. He deserves a reward and the accompanying punishment. I think that kids like him are pretty rare overall for a variety of reasons so it needs to be encouraged. Standing up for someone that can't stand up for themselves is a damn fine act.

Also, you should tell your wife that "Violence isn't the first answer, it's the very last one" as in, It's the last one you try when all else fails. =p

Fuck bullying. My kid will most likely be homeschooled. Me and my wife made the decision a long time ago before we had the kids but shit like this doesn't make me revisit that choice.

Kernel, we both know this does more harm than good.

I've had two close friends who were. they both ended up sheltered and lost once they go into college. Don't do this to your kids.

Edit: Not to mention, they've both flat-out told me that they wish they hadn't been home schooled and hate that they were.

Newt

I feel really bad for the kid, but to be honest I don't think "just be yourself" would be the right thing to say to him as a parent. There are social norms, and stepping out of those social norms (like wearing a pink bracelet to school) is going to cause bullying, whether we like it or not. We can try to prevent the bullying as much as possible, but it's still going to happen to a certain extent even if it's not as severe. I'm not saying it was the kid or the parents fault at all, but I think the situation could have improved if approached differently.

I'm surprised that nobody on here has called the kid selfish. That usually happens when people talk about suicide. At what age does killing yourself become a selfish act? I'm not being confrontational, I'm just curious what people think.

Mumei

I'm surprised that nobody on here has called the kid selfish. That usually happens when people talk about suicide. At what age does killing yourself become a selfish act? I'm not being confrontational, I'm just curious what people think.

... I'd honestly rather not have that conversation.

ElRenoRaven

Not crazy. Your son did good. He deserves a reward and the accompanying punishment. I think that kids like him are pretty rare overall for a variety of reasons so it needs to be encouraged. Standing up for someone that can't stand up for themselves is a damn fine act.

Also, you should tell your wife that "Violence isn't the first answer, it's the very last one" as in, It's the last one you try when all else fails. =p

Yup I agree. I'd be proud of the kid too.Kids need to be taught to stand up for themselves and for those who can't stand up for themselves. We've as a society gotten into this mentality of just look away. Don't get involved. Screw that. Stand up for what's right and for those who can't stand up for themselves. People and kids need to learn that there are consequences for being an asshole.

huxley00

Thats tough, you can tell the parents seem really good...just sucks that doing all the right things, supporting your kid no matter what, can still lead to terrible ends like this. The parents must feel so helpless and sad :/

lil smoke

Banned
Schools are getting better but still have a long way to go with the bullying problem.

I got a call to come pick up my 9 year old son from school recently because he had been in a fight after school and ended up missing the bus. I was surprised as he's easy going and gets along with everyone, and pretty much knows everyone since he plays so many sports. It seemed odd.

I get there and he's all upset - he gets very emotional, especially when he thinks things are unfair. Turns out some dirtbag kid was giving one of the kids in his class, who is a special needs kid, shit about being stupid or other shit related to his special needs. My son tells him to stop, the other kid tells him to fuck off and keeps doing it and my son sees red and pops him. Cue drama and the principal's office.

The principal lets me know that my son will be missing recess for the following week as punishment. I let the principal know that while I can't dictate what happens in school, his punishment on the home front was going to be along the lines of taking him out for ice cream right now and then congratulating him and letting him know how proud I was of him afterwards.

I understand you can't have kids belting other kids willy-nilly. I told him he had to take his punishment like a man. I also told him if it happens again to feel free to pound that kid again. Kids need to learn there are consequences to what they do. If you're gonna be a dipshit to kids weaker than you than you better be prepared if they have friends.

I guess my question is, am I crazy? Sometimes I feel very old-fashioned because, well, I am old. :) My wife was all like "violence isn't the answer", but I feel like sometimes yeah, it is. I'm pretty sure that kid is going to think twice about picking on that kid again. I grew up in a boys-don't-cry-rub-some-dirt-on-it era and worry that I'm out of touch. I don't know.
I appreciate this, but I have read pretty much this exact story for the near decade I've lurked/read GAF.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Fuck brony shaming, there are many things in this life that deserve shaming, a fucking tv show isn't. Fuck parents that don't teach tolerance.

I think the fact that there's specifically a term like "Brony Shaming" like it's a major issue is kind of, well, ridiculous. It's not a major issue, and it will never be, because being a "Brony" is just a label for fans of a fairly recent television series, mainly ones that eschew the target age range. There is no widespread discrimination against fans of My Little Pony, this is an isolated incident and is tragic, yes, but I think it's somewhat being overblown by overzealous fans of the series trying to focus this issue specifically on the show.

Fact is, the main issue here doesn't lie in what show the kid was being teased for liking, but rather the level of teasing he endured as well as homophobic element of it. There's no need to try and link it intrinsically to the actual show, that just comes across as reducing this kid's life to one element that's only been around for about 1/3rd of his life.

Tex117

Banned

Your son is a stud! Good for him and you.

I think the whole "Zero Tolerance" thing is a horrible policy. There are always circumstances relating to fighting. It should be up to administrators to determine fault and blame.

In other words, if a bully picks on a kid, and that kid has done everything possible to stop this kid from tormenting (ie, telling teachers, getting whomever they can involved, etc) him, and it finally comes to blows, then so be it.

Make a judgment call that the kid being picked on, (though perhaps some mild punishment), does not get the book thrown at them...the bully...does.

Its common sense.

God i hope some wrath comes down on those kids who were being assholes. Fucking sad to hear about an 11 year old doing this, jesus.

Mesousa

Banned
Kernel, we both know this does more harm than good.

I've had two close friends who were. they both ended up sheltered and lost once they go into college. Don't do this to your kids.

Edit: Not to mention, they've both flat-out told me that they wish they hadn't been home schooled and hate that they were.

Depends entirely on the kid.

While the homeschooled kids I have known are weird per say, this is often a good thing. They have not had their spirit crushed by having to adapt to the jails that are public schools.

Depends entirely on the kid.

While the homeschooled kids I have known are weird per say, this is often a good thing. They have not had their spirit crushed by having to adapt to the jails that are public schools.

How much trouble did they have to adapting to being social around people when they went to college and beyond? Genuine question. That seems to be where the problems happen. Sometimes it feels like people over stress academics and fail to realize that social skills are important as well.

Nah, I think you handled the situation pretty much perfectly, although I don't really fault the school's response either. As you said, sometimes you have to pay the price for doing the right thing. And learning the way one's personal ethics interact with societal rules/laws -- that they don't always track each other, nor should they -- is a really valuable lesson for a 9 year old to get. Also, I'm sure he appreciated the ice-cream.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Important lesson right there. Keep doing what you are doing as a father and am sure you kid will grow up to be just fine.

Victim blaming in this thread is disturbing not just because of the obvious victim blaming but this assumption that "common sense" is to not make yourself/kid a target. The fuck kind of dumb fucking parroted advice is this?

Once a bully has someone in their sights it doesn't really matter what the fuck that person likes or looks like. The bully or bullies have unresolved issues that THEY need to deal with. The victim in most cases is just a vessel for them to feel superior.

So stop it with the "you can make is so your child isn't bullied" line of shit, thanks.

NEO0MJ

And what do you think a brony is? As far as I know it is just someone who enjoys the show. Unless I'm missing something obvious.

I always thought off a bronie as a MLP enthusiast, kinda like a Trekkie. Some might take it a bit far but that happens with every fanbase.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Asking openly, what can a parent do to deter these bullies?
Finding out their names? Getting in touch with their parents? Talk with the school? What power does a parent have when school kids are pushing their child to suicide?
You aren't going to be able to sue the school district into caring (though you can sue them for Title IX violations (see Mumei's post) or sue other parents into not raising shitheads. They've got to want to do that. All you can do is ask them to please help, and you need to be prepared for someone telling you they don't care, or you need to toughen up your kid, or 100 other things that prove to you that they won't help.

And then you need to document that in a letter to the school board and the state certification board that says that you're pulling your kid from the school because they were completely ineffective in addressing your child's needs and that they will not be getting one penny more in attendance money from your kid, because in the end, that's one of the two things they ever gave a shit about. You need to name the names of every single person you spoke with and say that person's inaction is the reason that they are losing however many dollars a day they get for an ass in a seat. Go to a school board meeting and repeat your letter. Go to a city/county council meeting and repeat your letter. Go to the state legislature and/or certification board meeting and repeat your letter. Make their incompetence at addressing your child's pain a matter of public record and hopefully it will be considered at the next election (which is the other thing they gave a shit about).

Unfortunately, it won't mean much. But, do it anyway in case there's a decent human being among them that can make it better for someone else's kid.

If the school was aware of this (or "reasonably should have known"), the school has some legal responsibility here.
Thanks for this info. Title IX claims break the back of corrupt organizations. It's not as sudden a toppling as you might see with embezzlement or EEOC, but it definitely exposes their belly.

You're not completely crazy. I was a bully-bully when I was a kid. However, beating the shit out of the mean kids, as satisfying as it was, didn't serve to make them less mean. All it meant was that the mean kids stopped being mean when I was looking, and then started up again when I walked away.

Mesousa

Banned
How much trouble did they have to adapting to being social around people when they went to college and beyond? Genuine question. That seems to be where the problems happen. Sometimes it feels like people over stress academics and fail to realize that social skills are important as well.

Good question. I have no idea, bu I figure it was easy for them to talk/adapt to me since I am also pretty different lol.

styl3s

Kids are such shits to each other. One of the best things about growing up outside of social media was avoiding the near limitless abuse it enables. I grew up in Europe in the seventies and eighties with corporal punishment - so bullying existed, but tended to be limited in scope.
Although i agree with the social media thing, bullying was still really big in the 90s here and there was a kid who not only moved because he was being bullied so much, i found out years later he ended up killing himself with his fathers gun.

Social Media can and does make bullying worse but the threat has always been there and it always will until we actually take a stand and make bullies accountable. The problem not only lies on the teachers and the school but also the parents and it's fucking mind blowing how many teachers and schools just look the other way and how many parents just don't give a fuck that their shit head worthless scum kid is bullying another kid.

Fritz

Bullying is absolutely terrible and it's good that it's getting more and more into focus in recent years.

But I feel the problem are not the kids but the parents. Kids are cruel and they don't really get what their actions might lead to. It's the parents that weren't able or willing to teach them basic rules of coexistence.

I did bully once and man I got my head washed by the teachers and my parents.

Stuart444

This is sad, I hope he pulls through. Bullying is a terrible problem...

I was bullied in school, both primary and secondary school. I was made fun of for being fat, my speech issues, making fun of my name, because I wasn't seen as 'normal' and hell, some just bullied me to get a reaction out of me. I have even contemplated suicide multiple times so I can understand a little where this kid is coming from. I feel really bad for this kid, breaks my heart :(.

I sincerely hope this kid pulls through. No kid deserves to get bullied. ;_;

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Although i agree with the social media thing, bullying was still really big in the 90s here and there was a kid who not only moved because he was being bullied so much, i found out years later he ended up killing himself with his fathers gun.

Social Media can and does make bullying worse but the threat has always been there and it always will until we actually take a stand and make bullies accountable. The problem not only lies on the teachers and the school but also the parents and it's fucking mind blowing how many teachers and schools just look the other way and how many parents just don't give a fuck that their shit head worthless scum kid is bullying another kid.

I'm not suggesting the 70s and 80s were some magical wonderland of well behaved Victorian children, just that there was a chain of escalation for bullies. If they were caught, they themselves were beaten. The kind of really physically violent kids (violence is hardly the only kind or even worst kind of bullying) who were involved in bullying, were undeterred by threats of suspension or expulsion and tended to come from families that didn't give a shit either.

Social media is especially difficult in that a) It's 24-7 and b) It creates unnatural feedback loops that are inescapable.

besada

Banned

I grew up in the 70's and 80's in the South. I knew a kid that killed himself over bullying. I personally attempted to kill myself over bullying. There is absolutely nothing new about children reaching the end of their rope and deciding that death is the only escape.

Box

Who do you guys consider to be bullies anyway? What counts as bullying? I always felt like in school that everyone became a bully under the right circumstances, and that bullying usually requires the cooperation of a lot of people to work.

Stuart444

Who do you guys consider to be bullies anyway? What counts as bullying? I always felt like in school that everyone became a bully under the right circumstances, and that bullying usually requires the cooperation of a lot of people to work.

Picking on somebody for no reason other than because you can get away with it. Usually consistently as well.

Hitting someone, calling them names, whatever you want for no reason other than because you can get away with it. I would consider that bullying.

akira28

God i hope some wrath comes down on those kids who were being assholes. Fucking sad to hear about an 11 year old doing this, jesus.

Not wrath, learning and understanding.

I wouldn't be surprised if bronies raised money to help this family for one thing, and then set up some kind of outreach to show these kids that mlp has nothing to do with being gay or a girl or being weird, it's just a fucking TV show.

Box

Picking on somebody for no reason other than because you can get away with it. Usually consistently as well.

Hitting someone, calling them names, whatever you want for no reason other than because you can get away with it. I would consider that bullying.

I don't know, man. I don't think you can't call it bullying if it's motivated by something. People do stuff like that because they want to make others feel the way they do, or because they're afraid of being the next victim if they don't join in, or because they want other people to find them entertaining, and other reasons. I've never been convinced that bullying was fun or comfortable for the people who do it. The people who enjoy it are bystanders who don't have to do anything or take any responsibility.

Helmholtz

This is very sad. But honestly, when I was going to middle school/high school I would never even consider wearing stuff like that. It's an insult magnet that attracts unwanted attention. You just have to enjoy that stuff at home and not flaunt it, as sad as that is.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

I'd skip the punishment part. Don't want to give your kid a mixed message.
Personally, all three waves of bullying that I endured were stopped with violence. (two by friends, one by me) The second was brutal and prolonged and only made worse by other approaches.

PaulloDEC

I thought Brony was exclusively for the people who sexualize the show and make it creepy. I thought you could be an adult fan of MLP and not be a brony.

"Brony" is simply a word to describe a fan of the show who falls outside of the target demo. Age and gender are the two defining factors.

I don't like the attempt to tie this kid to the brony culture. He isn't a brony. He's a 11 years old. Kids are supposed to watch the show. It's made for them.

The reason people are making the connection is because the victim is male. Regardless of who the creators are making the show for, it's still considered weird for boys to be fans.

At the very least, the publicity drummed up by similar headlines has led to nearly $50,000 in donations from the MLP fan community, so it's not all bad.

Ikael

I don't know, man. I don't think you can't call it bullying if it's motivated by something. People do stuff like that because they want to make others feel the way they do, or because they're afraid of being the next victim if they don't join in, or because they want other people to find them entertaining, and other reasons. I've never been convinced that bullying was fun or comfortable for the people who do it. The people who enjoy it are bystanders who don't have to do anything or take any responsibility.

Kids calling names or getting into fights isn't bulling per se. There are a thousand reasons for kids to fight or get angry at each other. From my experience as a bullied kid myself, the two signs that I would point out that would differenciate bulling for a regular agression would be:

1- No prior provocation. There's no ulterior motive, the bully starts to abuse another kid just because he enjoys doing it so. Its an act justified by the act itself, and thus, sadistic. The bullied is not being bullied because he has done anything (albeit he might try to rationalize it in this way) but rather for just existing

2- Constance. It is not any kind of the expontaneous burst from the bully. It is not anger issues. It is deliberate, regular. It is not explosive, it is not an open battle, with two kids beating each other in the open. It is more akin to guerrilla warfare. Lots of small, low agression acts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom