• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 Films To See In August (What are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calcaneus

B!TCH said:
No, but I'm sure there are plenty of comic-book inspired movies with explosions and car chases that you'd enjoy playing at your local multiplex.
Classic "indie as fuck" response.

corpserot

Don't understand all the Rob Zombie hate on GAF, House and Devil's Rejects where great. I agree that the first Halloween wasn't all that good, but I think the second will be at least an improvement.

Solo

corpserot said:
Don't understand all the Rob Zombie hate on GAF, House and Devil's Rejects where great. I agree that the first Halloween wasn't all that good, but I think the second will be at least an improvement.

The Devil's Rejects is fucking great and Zombie has a ton of talent as a director. As such, Im pumped for Halloween 2. Where Zombie fails though is as a writer. His white trash dialogue was almost unbearable in Halloween 2007. As such, I have low expectations for Halloween 2.

In the end, it balances out to me being level headed on the movie. If or when Zombie ever starts making movies based on other people's screenplays instead of writing his own, he will be so much better off. Talented man, but handicaps himself with his terrible writing.

I'm interested in:
Paper Heart
Ponyo
District 9
Cold Souls
World's Greatest Dad

Though this is going to be a busy month for me, so I probably won't see any of them in theaters. :\

When I first saw the trailer of Cold Souls, I thought it was a Charlie Kaufman movie.

gdt

Solo said:
The Devil's Rejects is fucking great and Zombie has a ton of talent as a director. As such, Im pumped for Halloween 2. Where Zombie fails though is as a writer. His white trash dialogue was almost unbearable in Halloween 2007. As such, I have low expectations for Halloween 2.

In the end, it balances out to me being level headed on the movie. If or when Zombie ever starts making movies based on other people's screenplays instead of writing his own, he will be so much better off. Talented man, but handicaps himself with his terrible writing.

You know, I fucking agree with you!

Whoda'thunk?

harSon

Banned
Solo said:

He also needs to stop casting his wife, she can't act worth a shit. I agree with the writing tidbit, I cringed when he had "Chinese... Japanese... Look at these!" in his film, really Rob Zombie?

1. Halloween 2
2. District 9
3. G.I. Joe
4. The Final Destination

Can't wait for Halloween 2, trailers have been really good and I think I read that there have been some test screenings recently and that the consensus was "positive but the film was really bizarre." Sounds like something right up my alley, some of the imagery is extremely strange, and there seems to be quite a bit of dreamlike stuff which is something else I'm a fan of, so we'll see.

Foliorum Viridum said:
You know, thanks to these threads my girlfriend and I already made a list of 14 films we've yet to see, and now there's a few more to add to it. Where do I find the time?!? I do love these threads though. It's great to have all of the recent releases laid out for me. :)

Inglorious Basterds and District 9 are top for me this month. :D

No problem man! Glad they are helpful :)

Buckethead said:
I usually dig your rankings Plainview but D9 at #1 and Cera's flick
ahead of World's Greatest Dad.....

C'mon.

WHAT? District 9 looks SO good. What is your most anticipated film this august?

-----

Also, NO ONE is talking about Avatar Day in this thread. Who is going on August 21st? I have to go to a wedding in Michigan with my family and I told my dad I would only go if we all stopped at an IMAX on the way. :lol

Ashhong

they didnt come out in August, but this week I plan to watch 500 Days of Summer and Moon, and then District 9 on opening weekend.

also +1 for AVATAR day, depending on the ticket distribution method..have they talked about how to get tickets? if i have to wait in line i may not.

oh and ive heard some really interesting things about Julie and Julia. like its somehow very original and really good, although i just cant see how...

Solo

harSon said:
He also needs to stop casting his wife, she can't act worth a shit. I agree with the writing tidbit, I cringed when he had "Chinese... Japanese... Look at these!" in his film, really Rob Zombie?

William Forsythe's character in Halloween made me almost want to walk out of the movie (Hallowee) within the first 10 minutes (IM GONNA SKULLFUCK THE SHIT OUTTA YOU!). Ironically, William Forsythe's character was the best part of The Devil's Rejects.

Tonay

Banned
Taking Woodstock sounds excellent. I love films that tell you the personal stories behind those big media/political events.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
District 9 and Ponyo. Already saw Cold Souls a while back, which was good.

Flame & Citron opens here on the 14th, that sounds interesting and seems to have great reviews. I might have to check that one out.

District 9 is my most anticipated film at the moment. Don't think it's coming out this month in Australia, though. Inglorious Basterds will be a worthy consolation prize. :)

pringles

Paper Heart looks hilariously awkward. Must see.

And D9 has potential to be my movie of the year. Otherwise there's not much that interests me on that list.

stupei

In the theater, definitely aiming for Basterds, District 9, and Ponyo, maybe Cold Souls and Taking Woodstock too. I'm interested in Paper Heart, but not sure it's worth theater pricing unless maybe a group wants to see it.

Tim the Wiz said:
District 9 is my most anticipated film at the moment. Don't think it's coming out this month in Australia, though. Inglorious Basterds will be a worthy consolation prize. :)

Actually, District 9 comes out a day earlier over here. :)

Wow we need one of these threads every month (if they're not a regular thing I mean).

Definitely will be seeing THE GOODS and DISTRICT 9, IT MIGHT GET LOUD, and TAKING WOODSTOCK.

All look great, can't wait :)

Prine

Banned
FooFighter said:
Just District 9 and Inglorious Basterds for me.

I cannot watch Anime in cinema's, will buy Ponyo on Bluray.

And holy shit at District 9! These are the guys that were supposed to be responsible for the production of HAlo movie??? WHY didnt they go ahead? It looks phenomenal. Like a documentary movie.

If D9 is a hit, what are the chances that studios reignited the Halo movie??? I was just thinking of the covenant and chief while watching the trailer (1st time i've seen anything of it)

Ecto311

DanielPlainview said:
Why You Shouldn't See It: Rob Zombie is set to shit out another mind numbing, painful, overbearing take on the Halloween series. Remember when he was just a bad musician? I want those days back.

I was reading along just fine till this. I liked his music and movies. Sounds a lot more exciting then Michael Cera jerking off his fugly GF in a pretentious crap fest that is bound to bore the piss out of me.

You justify final destination by saying its the guy that did snakes on a plane? You also justify GI Joe because it has to be better than transformers?

District 9 and Ponyo look to be the only ones in your must see list worth seeing for me personally.

Thanks for the post though, my wife was wondering when ponyo was coming out.

jax (old)

Banned
I'd like to know if YOUTUBE gets money for hosting those commercial trailers. I really do.

will be watching:

d9
final destination (I love these)
Inglourious Basterds
Ponyo
Cold Souls
GI JOE
A Perfect Getaway

A Perfect Getaway, so THATS the name of the movie. I was looking for that. I like the one it was shot. It's so colorful and vibrant.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
The only film I shall be watching is: Inglourious Basterds.

Possibly not just once either.

500 Days of Summer
District 9
Inglorious Bastards
Final Destination 4

Would love to see Ponyo but that's another Limited showing movie. Hopefully it comes eventually.

permutated said:
Wow we need one of these threads every month (if they're not a regular thing I mean).

Definitely will be seeing THE GOODS and DISTRICT 9, IT MIGHT GET LOUD, and TAKING WOODSTOCK.

All look great, can't wait :)

Been doing them since March! You can find the rest of the threads at the bottom of the OP.

ChoklitReign said:
Where can I find screenings for the Avatar preview?

They haven't announced all the details yet, but pretty much at ANY IMAX anywhere.

Kinda off-topic, but can someone link me to that one Google Maps thing that showed all the true AND false IMAX theaters in America? I want to go see the Avatar preview, but I'll be in Nashville and I'm not familiar with a close IMAX theater.

edit: It Might Get Loud looks fucking awesome.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Wait, is World's Greatest Dad being directed by Bobcat, the man behind Shakes the Clown? I hope so. You need to start adding first names too Plainview.

Raistlin

Why the hell isn't 500 Days of Summer on the list? It's one of the top movies I've seen this year.

Anyway, for anyone into guitar or music history, I highly recommend 'It Might Get Loud'. I saw it a year ago at TIFF, and REALLY enjoyed it. Admittedly, I'm big into music, play guitar amongst a few other instruments, and am a fan of Page, White, and the Edge.

If you are even remotely into such things though, it is worth seeing for the (albeit much too short) jam session alone!

Onix said:
Why the hell isn't 500 Days of Summer on the list? It's one of the top movies I've seen this year.

500 Days of Summer came out in July, and it was number 4 on my list (looking back should have been number 1) : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16489408#post16489408

AlternativeUlster said:
Wait, is World's Greatest Dad being directed by Bobcat, the man behind Shakes the Clown? I hope so. You need to start adding first names too Plainview.

Yep, same guy!

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
bjscott05 said:
Can't wait to see the Goods. I love Piven.

I've already seen The Goods...

...in 1980, when it was called Used Cars and starred Kurt Russell and Jack Warden and was written and directed by Robert Zemeckis. THAT movie was hilarious. We'll see about this one....

Onix said:
Yeah, but it was a limited release. They added a lot more locations for this weekend.

That's why I include previous months in the OP, so you can go back! Some great limited releases in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom