• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 Films To See In August (What are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

teepo

BarrelMakingPenguin said:
Thirst, The Cove, and Humpday came out last month in some areas.

thirst and the cove opened up on july 31st and thirst's widest release has been only 4 theaters. so yeah.... it falls under august buddy. i'll give you humpday though.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Don't get the Rob Zombie hate. It's Halloween, the source material isn't that great, no matter what your nostalgic jaded-mind says (and I'm a big fan). Who better to take over than a guy who can master a creepy atmosphere?

teepo said:
you left out thirst, burma vj, the clove and humpday.

none of those movies are being released this month. Thirst and The Cove have been on previous lists. It doesn't matter how wide of a release they are, when they come to a theater (non-premiere) then that is the month they are released. You don't consider There Will Be Blood a 2008 movie and you don't consider Children of Men a 2007 movie even though they were released to small amount of the theaters right before the new year.

You missed Big Fan, which I believe is supposed to see a limited release toward the end of this month.

Also, everybody needs to see World's Greatest Dad. It's really, really good; if you like movies that are dark as fuck, you'll fucking love this movie.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
You missed Big Fan, which I believe is supposed to see a limited release toward the end of this month.

Also, everybody needs to see World's Greatest Dad. It's really, really good; if you like movies that are dark as fuck, you'll fucking love this movie.
As far as I know Big Fan isn't being released this month. World's Greatest Dad is now available on demand and Amazon! Can't wait to see it :)

ccarver3

broadwayrock said:
Zombie's Halloween remake is a textbook example of how a director can fall flat on their face by completely failing on every aspect of the original film.

Going by the [major SPOILERs]: reaction from a test screening of Halloween 2, it sounds like hes going to do it again.

That small slim chance of a hope that I'd like this movie. Just died.

I'm so glad there are other good movies coming out.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Love these threads, but you might want to make it top 10. I don't think anyone thinks The Perfect Getaway looks good.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Hipster movies and comic book/action movies. The only two genres in existence...

And yet, this threads proves that to be incorrect.

I swear, some of you just live to complain.

Buckethead said:
5 Reviews for District 9 constitutes rave reviews?

8 now. Keep going.

Kastro said:
Paper Heart looks so lame.

Is anyone else tired of these "indie as fuck" movies?

I don't see how this is even a complaint. If a movie is good (500 Days of Summer, for example, one of the year's best so far) why does matter if it's "indie" or not?

Would you rather have another Katherine Heigl romantic comedy?

A good movie is a good movie. It has nothing to do with being indie or not.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/paper_heart/

And look at that. 10 reviews, 1 rotten. 90% rating as of now.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
omg rite said:
Love these threads, but you might want to make it top 10. I don't think anyone thinks The Perfect Getaway looks good.

I'd see it (and probably will) before seven of the other "to see" movies listed. Twohy is never exceptional, but I find him to be a consistent and enjoyable writer/director.

Solo

Cosmic Bus said:
Twohy is never exceptional, but I find him to be a consistent and enjoyable writer/director.

Indeed. Hell, Id like to see this do well, simply because with it plus the recent success of Fast and Furious, maybe Universal would change their tune about Riddick 3.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Solo said:
Indeed. Hell, Id like to see this do well, simply because with it plus the recent success of Fast and Furious, maybe Universal would change their tune about Riddick 3.
Particularly since they want to tone back the story back a personal Pitch Black tale. They're more persistent about it than most directors/actors who say "Yea, we wanna do another of these" but I dunno. A Perfect Getaway seems kind of cheesy, I dunno how well it will do.

Solo

I like BOTH Pitch Black and Riddick a lot. They are two totally different movies, but both also succeed for me.

gdt

I liked Pitch Black a lot years ago.

Then I read Isaac Asimov's Nightfall and found out that Pitch Black is heavily, heavily inspired by it. To the point where the planets share the names or something.

Deflated my love for whatever reason. Can't explain it.

bjork

I'm down for Pitt's movie, that should be silly fun. But District 9 looks kinda dull to me tbh.

After the Pitt movie, I think the next thing I'm hyped for is Denzel Washington starring in Fallout 3.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Solo said:
I like BOTH Pitch Black and Riddick a lot. They are two totally different movies, but both also succeed for me.
I liked Riddick a lot, but there was some definite cheese to it. A lot of the dialogue and the supporting actors were undercooked, but the general idea was great. It could've been a lot more imo

Holy shit. I saw Thirst tonight. Epic. Twisted and fucked up as all hell but Park Chan-wook has delivered again. One of my favorites of the year. Anyone else see it?

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
As soon as I get some cash, I am going to play catch up and watch like 10 movies. District 9, Moon, 500 Days of Summer, Away We Go, Bruno, Inglorious Basterds, World's Greatest Dad, Ponyo, The Hurt Locker, Thirst, Paper Heart, Taking Woodstock, and Mystery Team (the feature length debut from Derrick Comedy) will probably what I watch this month. Maybe GI Joe too if I get bored.

AlternativeUlster said:
As soon as I get some cash, I am going to play catch up and watch like 10 movies. District 9, Moon, 500 Days of Summer, Away We Go, Bruno, Inglorious Basterds, World's Greatest Dad, Ponyo, The Hurt Locker, Thirst, Paper Heart, Taking Woodstock, and Mystery Team (the feature length debut from Derrick Comedy) will probably what I watch this month. Maybe GI Joe too if I get bored.

When does Mystery Team come out? Also, should have included Big Fan on my list, that does come out August 28th.

Blader

Probably just District 9 for me.

I'm not too sure about Basterds. All the impressions of people saying QT places the emphasis on dialogue more than action has me lukewarm to the movie. I know everyone raves about Tarantino dialogue, but the only movie where it didn't bother me in some way was Pulp Fiction (on that note, I fucking love the dialogue in Pulp Fiction). I may just rent it unless some amazing reviews start coming out.

It Might Get Loud and Ponyo are also on my rental list.

Zyzyxxz

Definitely gonna see:

District 9 - my movie of the year
Inglorious Bastards - WWII film with a dark twisted humor on killing Nazi's? Count me in
The Goods - Jeremy Piven is my favorite guy in Entourage and I gotta see this movie!

*edit*

Can't forget Ponyo!

I'm going to see World's Greatest Dad tonight with a Q&A after with the director. I'll let you guys know how it is.

There's a red band trailer for it on Hulu that you guys should check out.

AlternativeUlster

DanielPlainview said:
When does Mystery Team come out? Also, should have included Big Fan on my list, that does come out August 28th.

It comes out late this month in Austin at least. I saw the trailer for Big Fan, I don't know how I feel about it so far. Might catch it on video.

harSon

Banned
polyh3dron said:
I'm going to see World's Greatest Dad tonight with a Q&A after with the director. I'll let you guys know how it is.

There's a red band trailer for it on Hulu that you guys should check out.

My roommate was watching a decent pirated copy of it about an hour ago :(

AlternativeUlster

harSon said:
My roommate was watching a decent pirated copy of it about an hour ago :(

I went through the list of films at Fantastic Fest this year and about a third of them are leaked on the internet. And yep, World's Greatest Dad leaked today.

YYZ

World's Greatest Dad is fantastic :lol

One of the best comedies this year. Seems like GAF would love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom