• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13y/o convinces parents to buy him GTA V using Power Point

A 13 year old that can manage something like this I'd probably have little problems letting them have M rated games or R rated movies.

Yeah, you can tell by the way he promises to beg for the game non-stop if they say no that he's mature enough to make his own decisions. I mean once you can use Powerpoint you're basically an adult by any reasonable metric.

If this was my kid I'd make them edit the slides before I even made a decision. This is supposed to convince me of something and you can't even capitalize a damn I?

I feel like an eighth grader should be able to make better powerpoint presentations than this.

then clearly you have not worked very long in business, because when you see the pp shit they pull you're gonna lose so much faith in humanity that.. I don't even have a analogy capable of expressing my utter disdain and inner sadness of how I feel.

You don't know man. You haven't been in those board rooms. You don't know what they are doing with those VGA inputs. You haven't seen shit. this kid like some messiah compared to them.

fernoca

Kudos to the kid and he seems well behaved, so as long as the parents have no problem AND are there, it should be fine.

Sami+

I'd have gotten him the game too, lol. His spelling kinda sucks but hey, A for effort. It's good to teach your kid that working hard for something you want, and being creative about your approach, can work.

Screenshot_20151029-131913_zpsusy6qcgv.png

It's OK guys. Someone stopped him.

phant0m

He panders, saying he won't play the story because it's "bad and full of swearing" then 2 slides later says how he wants to take his time with it?

smh.

EGM1966

Really?

I mean, I get it, "precocious 13 year old" blah blah. We had to write autobiographies when I was 13 and grammar, spelling, and formatting all counted, so I don't see why this kid gets a pass on his shoddy presentation.

Also, he calls himself mature and then threatens to pester his parents until he gets the game. There's a fundamental disconnect there.

So no, if I was his parent, he wouldn't be getting the game.
If you mean is that better than many presentations I've seen then yeah I do. You wouldn't believe the shockingly bad presentations I've seen grown adults put together (and with worse grammar than this too).

Mind you I'd wait until he was 18 before extending the offer!

Kirye

Not gonna lie, this would've convinced me. GTAs violence is one thing, but if wanting to play a game so badly influenced my kid into making a power point and being honest(ish) about the contents of said game, then i'd say he's mature enough to handle it. With modern movies and TV shows being just as bad if not worse, kids are desensitized to this stuff anyway.

Also I love the "Turn down for what" that he threw in there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
don't worry about the swearing.

I HAVE THE HEADPHONES!

And don't worry about me playing the campaign, I'll be playing online!
*fingers crossed behind back*

Who is he kidding? At least the "every other teen is playing it" slide is true.

A for effort but no matter how much he dresses is up he's still just trying to bullshit his way past his parents. I certainly wouldn't fall for it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Being able to recognize things are "bad" and articulate it is not maturity. If the kid wanted me to think he was so mature, I'd have him give me analysis of the characters, their motives, their choices, points/beliefs the story is conveying, why they are good or bad points/beliefs, etc.

It's not just violence, sex, and drugs in themselves that are the problem for kids, it's that adults take in a story as a presentation of an outside worldview, and kids take it in as principles for life. Who cares if people shoot guns, why did they think shooting guns was the thing to do? Who cares if women are doing sexy things, what is conveyed about the women as people? These are the real concerns and it seems most parents are either oblivious or too lazy to guide their kids in interpreting the world with healthy values.

I was making better slides at that age. You know, with sources for all arguments, tidy text, no "if you don't do it I'll annoy the hell out of you" bullshit...

So that would be a no.

x3sphere

This doesn't really show maturity to me, just based on the fact that he thinks avoiding the campaign aspect of the game makes it ok for him to play.

It's a good effort based on his age but I still would not let him buy it as a parent.

bud23

Being able to recognize things are "bad" and articulate it is not maturity. If the kid wanted me to think he was so mature, I'd have him give me analysis of the characters, their motives, their choices, points/beliefs the story is conveying, why they are good or bad points/beliefs, etc.

It's not just violence, sex, and drugs in themselves that are the problem for kids, it's that adults take in a story as a presentation of an outside worldview, and kids take it in as principles for life. Who cares if people shoot guns, why did they think shooting guns was the thing to do? Who cares if women are doing sexy things, what is conveyed about the women as people? These are the real concerns and it seems most parents are either oblivious or too lazy to guide their kids in interpreting the world with healthy values.

This post was brought to you by Ned Flanders Enterprises. lmao

prag16

Banned
I'd have told him to piss off as soon as I saw that slide which basically says if he doesn't get his own way he'll just pester them constantly. That is guaranteed to lose my kids any argument.

This. I mean shit. Even my 3.5 year old is beginning to realize that harassing me constantly (or threatening to do so) isn't the path to getting what he wants. This from a 13 year old? He can fuck right off.

Damn talk about a bunch of fun ass parents up in this thread. Just buy the kid the damn game. All you require is a talk with him about fiction vs. reality and there you go, and if he's got half a brain then you don't even need that discussion.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Hmmm, our son makes a good point, and he went through the effort to try and convince us, maybe it's not so bad for him.

*picks up GTAV box*

Hey, what's it say down here in the corner?

540_293_resize_20130901_8f0dc5d2a52e86f94dac1b059e9d0fa1_jpeg.jpeg

GO TO YOUR ROOM, YOU'RE GROUNDED.

What a "cool" kid, making a powerpoint presentation to convince his parents to allow him to play GTA V. He must be a joy at parties.

Also I don't blame the parents for allow him, one of my nephews is 8 years old (soon to be, actually) and he is actively trying to convince his dad to let him play GTA V on his Xbox 360. I tried to remember what games I played when I was his age, but all I remember was sitting to play on a console with his dad when we were 8-9 and play Mortal Kombat 2 and the first FIFA. And since my nephew doesn't like sport games may as well let him play GTA is not like it is worse than MK2.

Goliath

That's a level of maturity that even some ADULTS don't have. The most important thing for the parents to figure out when making this decision are : Does the kid understand that this is fantasy and most if not all of these actions would lead to big trouble. Is the kid mature enough to enjoy the material without it affect the child's behavior, i.e. the kid repeating the language and violence from the game. If the answer is YES then it's fine.

This kid is 13 years old. That's Freshman Year High School. One of the High School I went to exposed me to real life gangs and violence by that age. And of course poor language is probably repeated in his household by his parents so nothing new there.

Goliath

Hmmm, our son makes a good point, and he went through the effort to try and convince us, maybe it's not so bad for him.

*picks up GTAV box*

Hey, what's it say down here in the corner?

540_293_resize_20130901_8f0dc5d2a52e86f94dac1b059e9d0fa1_jpeg.jpeg

GO TO YOUR ROOM, YOU'RE GROUNDED.

I don't think a kid needs to be able to be drafted into the Military before they can enjoy fantasy violence.

mrlion

Since when did gamers here became sticks in the mud?

There was a thread before about this, a parent here in GAF asking if its wise to buy GTA5 for his kid? I forgot exactly what it was but the responses were rather...erm...shocking I guess.

When we were young we weren't supervised like this. If you know your kid and what he's doing and the level of maturity that he is at there is no reason to regulate this kind of stuff. The kid did a great job on the PowerPoint and showed great maturity as a result he is getting it. Yes, there's stuff there like "if you don't give it to me I'm going to bother you...forever" and stuff like that.

Although he showed maturity that doesn't mean he's gonna stop being a 13 year old. Cmon, don't tell me you didn't do this kind of shit to your parents.

SaucyJack

Damn talk about a bunch of fun ass parents up in this thread. Just buy the kid the damn game. All you require is a talk with him about fiction vs. reality and there you go, and if he's got half a brain then you don't even need that discussion.

Exactly what I did with my 14 year old.

Oddly enough he doesn't actually play the campaign he just does heists with his friends.

LUXURY

Makes me think there should be a parental control thing, locking the campaign, closing the strip clubs and removing the hookers from the streets.

They shouldn't have to do that. It's the parents decision to buy the game or not. If you are okay with your child being subjected to violence or other explicit material then there it is. Allow him to run people over, shoot people dead, but close off a strip club and some street walkers? That's not solving anything.

RagnarokX

Age restrictions are kind of arbitrary. They are set at what people think is enough years to accumulate the experiences necessary to cope with the content in a healthy manner, but there are always extremes. Just as many people who are deemed old enough can lack the necessary maturity, so to do many who are "too young" already have the necessary understanding. Arbitrary age restrictions are a necessary because it would take too much effort to make judgements on an individual basis, but that doesn't mean we can't make judgements on an individual basis.

The kid seems to have had good enough parenting to understand the differences between reality and fiction to the point that his playing the game shouldn't really be an issue. He clearly understands that a lot of the things the game depicts are things are considered wrong and many of the bad things will fly over his head, anyway.

Do 13 year olds not babysit and mow lawns and shit anymore? Why would a parent purchase a video game for a teenager if it wasn't a birthday or Christmas or whatever?

Top Bottom