• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14 Minutes of The Medium Gameplay

Vasto

"Take an extended look at the gameplay of The Medium, a one of its kind horror game where you can play in the real world and the spirit world at the same time. Travel to an abandoned and haunted hotel resort to discover a mystery only a medium can solve. Coming to Xbox Series X|S and PC on January 28th, 2021. Discover a dark mystery only a medium can solve. Explore the real world and the spirit world at the same time. Use your psychic abilities to solve puzzles spanning both worlds, uncover deeply disturbing secrets, and survive encounters with The Maw - a monster born from an unspeakable tragedy. "

GrayChild

Holy shit...

Just the first 3 minutes, and it's already the closest thing to the Japanese PS2 era survival horror I've seen in the past 10 years.

Everyone who's bitching about the modern day horror games, put your money where your mouth is and get this. God knows if we'll see anything even remotely similar to this any time soon.

Magog.

Banned
Holy shit...

Just the first 3 minutes, and it's already the closest thing to the Japanese PS2 era survival horror I've seen in the past 10 years.

Everyone who's bitching about the modern day horror games, put your money where your mouth is and get this. God knows if we'll see anything even remotely similar to this any time soon.

Not really? There is no combat so it is more similar to a Nu Horror game like Outlast.

GrayChild

Not really? There is no combat so it is more similar to a Nu Horror game like Outlast.

A large portion of Forbidden Siren didn't have any combat. There are segments in Fatal Frame where you're also defenseless.

Other, horror games from the 90s like "...Iru!", "Echo Night", "D" also lack any combat system. Stuff like "Clock Tower" and "Haunting Ground" is 95% running and hiding from enemies.

The whole "if doesn't have combat it's an Amnesia/Outlast clone" thing is just stupid.

Last edited:
Looks really interesting. You can see it's an old-gen project ported over to next-gen, so it still has "legacy" graphical features (like hair rendering), but it's looking really good.

I love the use of DOF and the camera angles. Thank Phil for gamepass.

Last edited:

martino

Looking forward to this, but don't think it we'll score higher than a 6.
Are you still doubting review score is gaming equivalent to investors share reactions to even dumber news/social trend and doesn't tell a lot about how appreciable (or real value in case of investors) the thing can really be ?

Are you still doubting review score is gaming equivalent to investors share reactions to even dumber news/social trend and doesn't tell a lot about how appreciable (or real value in case of investors) the thing can really be ?
Wait. What happen? Lol

xrnzaaas

I liked Blair Witch. Loved >Observer_. Layers of Fear 2 is the only one of theirs I'm not real crazy about.
Blair Witch wasn't bad imo, but it was disappointing. I feel like Bloober Team didn't have a good idea how to make a game based on the license, even a short one that's going to last 4-5 hours. I mean characters in the movies walk around lost in the woods for hours / days, but how is that going to translate into interesting gameplay? Not to mention they went overboard with the cheap jump scares in the finale. At least the scene with
standing in the corner and trying not to look at the witch
was fuckin' cool.

PooBone

Blair Witch wasn't bad imo, but it was disappointing. I feel like Bloober Team didn't have a good idea how to make a game based on the license, even a short one that's going to last 4-5 hours. I mean characters in the movies walk around lost in the woods for hours / days, but how is that going to translate into interesting gameplay? Not to mention they went overboard with the cheap jump scares in the finale. At least the scene with
standing in the corner and trying not to look at the witch
was fuckin' cool.
Once you find the campsite, the game jumps up in creepy quality, but once you first see that house, I thought it got downright terrifying.

MiguelItUp

Looks really cool, and I dig a lot of the throwback influence. I, too, just can't help but assume it'll be average if anything. I'm always gonna hope for more than that though!

fallingdove

Those are the 14 minutes they chose to show? This is definitely one of the less impressive next gen games I have seen so far.

TheDude108

Animation looks pretty janky in parts, especially walking down the stairs in the bottom frame around 7:15. Weird to show this kind of footage.

Last edited:

Arachnid

No combat definitely kills hype. It's a walking simulator (or run/hide, I guess) with puzzles. Not a surprise, since that's all these devs have ever made (Layers of Fear and Blaire Witch were both awful).

That said, the atmosphere and score are fantastic. Hopefully it has a great story to match. I'll give it a go just for the SH influences.

Where did you read that there isn't combat?
I read the same. It's from a dev interview a while back.

EDIT: My god, that fixed camera and the tank controls

nut

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Didn't really get interesting to me till the last 3 minutes. Visuals are ok but overall i dunno what to feel watching that lol.

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned
Looks really interesting. You can see it's an old-gen project ported over to next-gen, so it still has "legacy" graphical features (like hair rendering), but it's looking really good.

I love the use of DOF and the camera angles. Thank Phil for gamepass.

Yeah not exactly the graphical showcase the Series X could use

Fredrik

Honestly looks amazing I hope the draught is over and we can get a nice steady release of xbox exclusives
This isn’t an exclusive afaik, just timed.
I’ll try it for sure but it looked better in the trailers than in gameplay for me. I have so little time to play games that any game that does things too slow is instantly getting me stressed. I started fastforwarding this video, that’s not a good reaction.

Top Bottom