• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

150Mhz CPU boost on XBO, now in production

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to applaud Penello for coming here at all. Especially considering the attacks.

Seriously, even if there are yield issues, or were issues at some point what does it really matter. The XBox one is coming out this November. Kudos for them for continually working to improve the box.

Disclaimer: PS4 pre ordered and paid for. Hoping for reasons to buy a One.

This is good news. It should help raise the baseline of next-gen games now. Since XBone is now confirmed to have a better CPU than the PS4, based on what we know at least, does the mean the PS4's CPU will be holding things back?

hawk2025

Any plans on responding to my question (or even acknowledging it)?

Yeah, I'm surprised he hasn't answered that.

I'd think that would be more important (since it affects directly people like us that are actually buying the system) than responding to a random post, but alas...

Starting to remind me of Major Nelson's blog post about the family plan "next week". My guess is that they simply don't know yet, but it would be nice to get a straight answer that at least it's been delayed a few days or something :)

KoopaTheCasual

TqyqYrS.png

I f**king love console wars.

test_account

XP-39C²
I edited my post a bit:

GPU and CPU clock increase could be in the patch, but it's not, it's being manufactured with the clock increases.

Online DRM removal required you to be online (to patch out) to be able to play offline. Welp, when they flick that switch everyone connected online before so it's not a problem to make it online required as always planned.

Not to say I think this will happen, but after the 180 I think suspicions are warranted.
The only thing i can think of regarding this is that the CPU and GPU changes were done and planned before the DRM removal.

EvB

Albert, where's the Kinect voice support chart you said was coming?

You obviously don't understand what the marketing department of a multinational corporation is like. Nothing happens fast. Especially things that haven't been planned for

FINALBOSS

Banned
You guys do not realize what a "tiny" bump like this can really do. even more so on the cpu side.

a 30 mhz bump on my gpu os the difference between a solid 60 fps in crysis2 and sub 50 with all settings up.

LOL

I like you pixelic. Always around in Xbone threads to lighten the mood.

Tobor

Thank you sir.

I think I've admitted it a bunch. It's one of the reasons I came here - lots of questions, and in some cases the level of detail you guys needed/wanted wasn't going to happen in traditional PR channels.

So I can understand the skepticism. I generally look for those opportunities to clarify or add texture to what's going on.

We’ve been clear – our HW program is in really good shape. We’ve also said that due to the DRM change, it put pressure on our SW schedule which is why you’ve seen some features slip.

That said - the ESRAM thing is particularly frustrating because the only reason to believe it anymore is either because of people's natural tendency to want to be right, or just a blind belief that we should be mistrusted just because we are MS. At this point, for a community that holds itself to a high standard of “source” or “proof” – there is far more proof this rumor was wrong then proof it was right. Holding on to that belief anymore seems misguided at this point.

That's not a blind belief. It's well earned, and not just due to recent events.

I'll tell you what. Make it through an entire generation without abandoning support or treating us like dollar faucets and maybe the company can regain some trust.

coldfoot

Banned
How is it low? A 7970 has the same GDDR5 clock. I mean the max we have at the moment is 6Gbits/s with the Titan.
GTX770 has effective 7GHz, 3.5GHz WCLK. PS4 GDDR5 is a bit on the slow side, completely understandable with the cost and power envelope of a console.

Metfanant

This is good news. It should help raise the baseline of next-gen games now. Since XBone is now confirmed to have a better CPU than the PS4, based on what we know at least, does the mean the PS4's CPU will be holding things back?

well considering Sony hasnt said anything regarding CPU clock speed i dont think there is any sort of confirmation...

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
A trusted source who GETS THINGS WRONG. Albert says he is wrong, there is 0 evidence to say Albert is lying, there is more evidence he is telling the truth. Let it go.

I never said he gets nothing wrong. He never got specs wrong with the 360. This is something that should not be ignored.

And of course people are going to say he is telling the truth.

It's not like MS has lied, or wasn't going to support indies, but wait! There was this one indie dev (who is a Gaffer) who was told MS didn't want their game on the XB1. But lets drop that too, because MS would never lie so they can gain more costumers.

hawk2025

You obviously don't understand what the marketing department of a multinational corporation is like. Nothing happens fast. Especially things that haven't been planned for

I'm sorry, how is expecting clear, concise info on what features you can actually use of a product something that wasn't planned for?

REV 09

"PS4 is so powerful!" So why is Killzone running at 30fps and BF4 running < 1080p.

"Great CPU bump for Xbone!" Now enjoy janky Ryse and killer instinct @ 720p.

This gen sucks hard already. Specs are shit.
wall street vs main street son.

netBuff

Judging by your post history, I don't think you're really interested in anything regarding Xbox One.

You should probably fault Microsoft for that, I can't help them for putting out an uninteresting product accompanied by lacklustre PR efforts. And, obviously, it's always the other people that are biased ;)

EvB

I know ... then these guys come out of no where with some very hostile attacks.

And he gives us useful information that hasn't been reinterpreted by anyone, information that the marketing people aren't interested in letting Ign report on.

KoopaTheCasual

I don't agree with your premise that Albert Penello is "good people": All I ever saw from him is blatant and meaningless PR, I've never gotten any real insight from his long-winded and often aggressive posts.

I agree that a lot of the MS camp deserves it's distrust, but Albert keeps coming here to the front lines when he has no known obligation to. He's always pretty straightforward, and has even admitted to issues and stupid decisions by the company. He's a stand up guy, in my book.
I'll still never believe him on the yield issues thing, tho.

Chobel

I challenge you to imagine being in his position and come here and put up with some of the shit he has to and do better at telling people the truth and being as forthright as possible. believe me it would look about the same to the people who wouldn't want to believe you either but it wouldn't mean you were not being forthright..

what in the world would he have to gain by coming here and lying to us? if anything they would just post random tweets and plant stories and other bullshit... they would not put their name on the line and try to CONVERSE directly with us.

We are not THAT important really in the scheme of things... the Xbone will sell millions without GAF loving it.

He is being polite and trying to be better with corporate communications than their previous attempts and realize they did not do a good job.

it's called trying to improve.

That's exactly what PR do. They lie, twist the truth and hide facts it's part of their job.
They have one job: make the product looks appealing to consumers.

Desclaimer: This comment is about PR in general. It doesn't mean that Albert Penello is liar or anything.

iMax

You should probably fault Microsoft for that, I can't help them for putting out an uninteresting product accompanied by lacklustre PR efforts. And, obviously, it's always the other people that are biased ;)

If you think the Xbox One is uninteresting, it really isn't for you.

That said - the ESRAM thing is particularly frustrating because the only reason to believe it anymore is either because of people's natural tendency to want to be right, or just a blind belief that we should be mistrusted just because we are MS. At this point, for a community that holds itself to a high standard of &#8220;source&#8221; or &#8220;proof&#8221; &#8211; there is far more proof this rumor was wrong then proof it was right. Holding on to that belief anymore seems misguided at this point.

But there is a lot of data suggesting you have supply issues. We have several reports saying PS4 pre-orders are much higher than XBO pre-orders. Why would this be the case if not for supply issues? If you can't provide another reason I find it hard to believe you.

Also, the price of the XBO also indicates yield issues. If you did not have yield issues, pushing up the cost of each fully functional chip why would your console be more expensive than the competition's, while being significantly less powerful? Especially given your history of providing a better performance/price ratio than your competition in previous generations. Sure there is Kinect, but aside from the high up-front costs of R&D, it shouldn't be very expensive to produce each unit.

There is also the fact that you delayed the release of the XBO in many European countries. You yourself said that this was due to difficulties of translating certain services, but this explanation doesn't mesh very well at all with the recent news of Kinect not supporting voice control in several of the launch markets.

Mr. Albert.. .is this why Dead Rising 3 looked to have a solid frame rate now? Because of this upclock?

No, I think he said that that improvement came before the upclock (I still wouldn't call it solid however). So if this upclock would yield any noticeable performance gains, you can expect further increased performance of that game come launch :)

imo gpu>cpu all day

Well, the GPU is obviously the most important piece, but don't underestimate just how important the CPU is to these systems. It's not insignificant. In fact, some would probably argue that a CPU upclock is much more important than a GPU upclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom