• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

150Mhz CPU boost on XBO, now in production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ding

All these changes before manufacturing... and yet they can't remove the online DRM shit; you have to update online.

Dat bait and switch (switch back to their original Xbone policies).

Oh, if only. (I'm hoping they will let us opt back in to the original policies if we want, but I fear that will be too complicated/expensive to do that.)

Freki

Albert Penello I salute your reserve in the face of the GAF consumer. The amount of FUD from people emotionally invested in a product is crazy this generation. I appreciate you at least taking the time to answer questions.

Don't worry - Microsoft has plenty of experience with FUD ;-)

Vizzeh

Banned
The thing with that is .. what's the benefit? They dont have a deficit or a gap to close.

I guess Sony at this point do not need too match any upclocks being the leading platform but since its similar hardware.. completely surmising they may increase the clock speeds because its completely safe to do so with free benefits, or towards the end of the products life cycle it may give them that little more juice to play with compared to PC titles.

I think Thuway said something about targeting 2.5Tflops on the PS4 over the next few years.

(I read a different rumour of stealth upclocks around the last of us etc that where killing off old Huge PlayStation's, out of warranty anyway, not all were effected negatively)

Frodo

He likes transformers and works in engineering for a video game console division. I'd echo that for sure.

He offered the other guy a beer and a Star Wars marathon. I can be BFF to anyone that does that.

Edit: As long as the marathon consists of the Episodes 4 to 6.

EvB

Say hi to my cousin who works at MS for me, he works in a division (Sharepoint) that actually makes money unlike yours though :)

mock-surprise-gif.gif

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ok why is this thread gone from good news to weird and out there family related one liners. It's good news no matter how you cut it. You can at least appreciate Albert coming in here and braving the crowd.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
This is great news. A more powerful system for the same price is better for everyone.

It's nice to know that if I get a XB1 in the future, it will be a bit more capable than it originally was going to be.

Faustek

Their architectures are sufficiently different that it's impossible to distill their "power" into a single number. And even if you could, that number could only be valid for one particular piece of software.

The PS4 seemed more powerful before MS made these changes, and it still seems more powerful afterwards. But you can't just add up FLOPs. Well, okay, you can, but that leaves out a bunch of other stuff.

Longer, more hand-wavy answer: Based on what we know, the XB1 now has a CPU that is about 9% "faster" than the (speculated) one in the PS4. Not a big jump, but better than a poke in the eye. The XB1 is also purported to have some audio co-processing that the PS4 may lack. That may on occasion free up another ~10% of the XB1's CPU for other uses. On the other hand, the XB1 (or PS4) may be reserving more of the CPU for apps. Or, maybe it's the opposite. Maybe it'll change over time. We just don't know.

On the GPU side of things, the PS4 started out with a big advantage, and The XB1 has only closed the gap marginally. The PS4 started with a 50% advantage in GPU FLOPS, and the XB1 closed that to 40%(?) with their earlier clock bump. Of course, that's just a vague theoretical scorecard based on a naive counting of the CUs and assumes that all else is the same. All else isn't the same, since both companies added their own tweaks to the GPU. But that hopefully gets us in the ballpark of reality.

Then there's the memory architecture. Totally different. The PS4 has much more bandwidth to its main memory. On the other hand, the XB1 has some on-chip memory that should be faster still, latency-wise. How do those two differences offset? No freaking idea. It might be another case where the XB1 is only able to close a gap slightly, or it might be that the XB1 will actually be faster at certain things. (Not all things, certainly, but maybe some important things.)

Shorter answer: The PS4 is probably still more powerful. Hard to say how much more.

Non graphical tasks such as all their in-app-tv-switching such as Skype/ui/other apps.

Tbh to be able go actually compare the systems we would need the docs so we can see how everything is built.

I actually addressed this in an older post, but I will do so again. Each of the companies ALLOCATES pre-orders to retailers. That’s why they “sell out”. I don’t know how many PS4 units Sony “released” for pre-order (actually, I don’t know how many we did, either). But you could have two consoles with the IDENTICAL number of units being manufactured, and depending on how many they allocate to pre-orders vs. walk-ins, could affect the pre-order numbers. Just using “pre-orders” as a benchmark for any hardware is not the best way to establish anything – demand, manufacturing.. anything.

Really? You know this how exactly? I’m just saying – your interpretation of what things cost, unless Sony or us have released the detailed BOM for our machines… not sure how this proves anything.

I did also explain that when we said “localization” it also referring to Live, marketplace, apps, and other regional issues with launching – not JUST voice or Kinect support.

OK, thanks for taking the time to answer! I will concede the first and third points.

But unless you can provide me with real data (and I understand you would probably get in trouble if you did) of the costs of producing Kinect, I will find it hard to believe that the cost of producing this device would be in the range of $150. (Given the relative specs of Xbox One and PS4, I think $350 would have been a reasonable price to ask for without Kinect.) From my understanding, the original Kinect is priced at $99, and I am sure you made a profit off of it. It is my understanding that the original Kinect contained specialized hardware because the 360 was not originally built with the Kinect in mind. This extra hardware is not needed for Kinect 2, which should make it even cheaper to produce. It is my understanding that most of the improvements in Kinect 2 are related to software rather than hardware, and thus they should not contribute significantly to the BOM.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
preorder cancelled

Seriously, I respect the hell out of Albert for coming on here and interacting with us like he does, and I think we all know how difficult that is to do sometimes. It'd be all too easy to lose your patience with some of the responses he gets.

And, even if there's a tendency to instantly not believe everything that Microsoft says, I think the more engaged Albert remains, the more people will come to respect what he's trying to do, and where it makes sense, give him the benefit of the doubt.

Cali3350

Banned
Have you ever overclocked a CPU by 150 MHz?

Intel CPU boosts higher than this overclock lol.

Ive overlocked CPU's by 10% and its very noticeable.

Stop looking at the speed. Its a slow CPU. That in no way changes the fact the Xbones CPU will process a solid 10% faster than the PS4's. That is not a small amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom