• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

150Mhz CPU boost on XBO, now in production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Ive overlocked CPU's by 10% and its very noticeable.

Stop looking at the speed. Its a slow CPU. That in no way changes the fact the Xbones CPU will process a solid 10% faster than the PS4's. That is not a small amount.

Curious, Where have you seen the PS4's CPU frequency published?

https://twitter.com/albertpenello/status/375020375824150528
Albert Penello
‏@albertpenello
1.75 > 1.6.

Screen-Shot-2013-08-20-at-6.56.07-PM.png

rrrrrright, says EmptySpace.
srsly.
You're gonna be a fun one to watch here man.

Please don't get banned

FINALBOSS

Banned
Seriously, I respect the hell out of Albert for coming on here and interacting with us like he does, and I think we all know how difficult that is to do sometimes. It'd be all too easy to lose your patience with some of the responses he gets.

And, even if there's a tendency to instantly not believe everything that Microsoft says, I think the more engaged Albert remains, the more people will come to respect what he's trying to do, and where it makes sense, give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm all for Albert trying to clear things up...but let's not pretend he's doing all this out of the kindness of his heart. He's trying to sell us a product--he's not secretly leaking information through a mini-USB drive he hides in the screw-off bottom of his coffee mug.

Stop looking at the speed. Its a slow CPU. That in no way changes the fact the Xbones CPU will process a solid 10% faster than the PS4's. That is not a small amount.

Dang another PS4 insider? Curious how you got the final PS4 numbers.

linkeds2

Banned
1.6 is the approximate from what we know. Obviously not official, of course.

It is true though, you'd think that Microsoft would be able to match Sony on one of those.

Price.
Size.
Power.

...All go to Sony. Even games, if you want to argue that. Kinda disappointing. :/

those 3 are also arguable if you want to put it that way

Price: for what you get for the money (yes, there are people who value Kinect) is arguable about which console brings more value
Size: not that it matters to most people, but regardless of size, XBO consumers wont have to worry about overheating seeing as the XBO was designed for quiet and cool operation.
Power: it is a common belief now that the PS4 is more powerful than the XB1. But's it's also just as, if not more important how talented the developer can utilize the hardware. Sony does have beautiful games from exclusive developers, But some of the franchises, MS has been able to snatch up over the last gen. and Also, just because a game looks prettier does not make it a fun game, which in itself, is subjective

cebri.one

Nope. Justo go to the DF vs Resogun thread, general computing is not just CPU dependant this gen.

On a closed system every little bit of power counts, so that`s a good thing.

PS: They should have designed a more powerful machine from the start.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think the more engaged Albert remains, the more people will come to respect what he's trying to do, and where it makes sense, give him the benefit of the doubt.

It will take a while for me to give Albert the benefit of the doubt after this post:
Given the rumored specs for both systems, can anyone conceive of a circumstance or decision one platform holder could make, where despite the theoretical performance benchmarks of the components, the box that appears “weaker” could actually be more powerful?
Never elaborated on it despite several posters asking for it.

It's great that he posts here and some of the things I accept because they are reasonable, but it's a long long time until MS gets the benefit of the doubt.

FINALBOSS

Banned

Price: for what you get for the money (yes, there are people who value Kinect) is arguable about which console brings more value
Size: not that it matters to most people, but regardless of size, XBO consumers wont have to worry about overheating seeing as the XBO was designed for quiet and cool operation.
Power: it is a common belief now that the PS4 is more powerful than the XB1. But's it's also just as, if not more important how talented the developer can utilize the hardware. Sony does have beautiful games from exclusive developers, But some of the franchises, MS has been able to snatch up over the last gen. and Also, just because a game looks prettier does not make it a fun game, which in itself, is subjective

...Nah.

It will take a while for me to give Albert the benefit of the doubt after this post:

It's great that he posts here and some of the things I accept because they are reasonable, but it's a long long time until MS gets the benefit of the doubt.

One of the main reasons people think he's full of hot hair.

Dragon

Banned

So your response is to create new definitions of the three words he listed. Interesting.

prwxv3

Hahahaha oh wow. That post

Say hi to my cousin who works at MS for me, he works in a division (Sharepoint) that actually makes money unlike yours though :)

I'm sure Albert is on a nice salary pay and it doesn't matter to him what your cousin does.

In fact Albert... let his cousin know what kind of guy this CF is.

artist

Banned

Yeah, I really like Albert for trying to be more transparent that ANYONE from all of his org but I cant take everything he says at face value.

PS4 is cheaper
PS4 is smaller
PS4 is more powerful(no spec expert but that seems to be the consensus)
Seems pretty cut and dry.

Have you ever overclocked a CPU by 150 MHz?

Intel CPU boosts higher than this overclock lol.

150 MHz boost is not the same boost in all CPUs. Many have different operations per cycles, so performance can't be directly compared by Hertz alone.

So you can either A.) wait for benchmarks and b.) just realize that the upgrade is about 10% in relation to this CPU alone.

Cali3350

Banned
Nope. Justo go to the DF vs Resogun thread, general computing is not just CPU dependant this gen.

GPU compute is great, and the PS4 has a huge advantage here. Im not advocating that the Xbone is suddenly more powerful than the PS4.

I am however saying that GPGPU is a very different beast. A general purpose CPU is infinitely easier to access and use properly, and the 10% of the Xbox will be very useful throughout the generation.

badb0y

Of course it is but this is not a game changer.

Have you ever overclocked a CPU by 150 MHz?

Intel CPU boosts higher than this overclock lol.

Well, an intel cpu really doesn't factor here. This may not be this massive thing, but it's also not totally insignificant. I think this is more significant than the GPU upclock, since you're basically dealing with 6 cores for games, 2 for the OS, but those 6 cores for games being at least 10% faster on a console where the CPU is already apparently getting some pretty solid assistance from the quite capable audio block is really nice to have.

This doesn't mean that the Xbox One is now suddenly stronger than the PS4 or any nonsense like that, but this is a pretty good and positive bit of news for Xbox One game development.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
GPU compute is great, and the PS4 has a huge advantage here. Im not advocating that the Xbone is suddenly more powerful than the PS4.

I am however saying that GPGPU is a very different beast. A general purpose CPU is infinitely easier to access and use properly, and the 10% of the Xbox will be very useful throughout the generation.

And you've still failed to post where you found the final, or any officially announced specs/clockspeed of the PS4 CPU.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Wow. And my respect to him went down.

FINALBOSS

Banned
And you've still failed to post where you found the final, or any officially announced specs/clockspeed of the PS4 CPU.

Shit was just about to quote him since he skipped over me asking where he got the final numbers from.

That was a quick hammer.

Chobel

DAMN!

Of course it is but this is not a game changer.

That depends on what you're referring to. If you're comparing to the PS4, not really. For xbox one games development? It's a big deal to get those many lower speed cores to be a bit faster, especially when Jaguar is already such a really efficient architecture.

daveo42

Banned
Did they ever really confirm what the final speed of the CPU was in a tech document? I know everyone thought it would be clocked at 1.6, but did MS specifically say that before this announcement?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Did they ever really confirm what the final speed of the CPU was in a tech document? I know everyone thought it would be clocked at 1.6, but did MS specifically say that before this announcement?

Not before this, no. They also didn't confirm the GPU clock speed until the 853MHz announcement and also commented that it was up from 800MHz.

There have been multiple tech presentations on the XBO architecture and a lot of leaks that turned out to be legit and none of them have even hinted at something like this. Developers have even commented that the PS4 GPU is considerably more powerful. There is almost zero chance of this being true.

badb0y

That depends on what you're referring to. If you're comparing to the PS4, not really. For xbox one games development? It's a big deal to get those many lower speed cores to be a bit faster, especially when Jaguar is already such a really efficient architecture.
Agreed.

This should definitely help the Xbox One with games a little bit but I think this clock boost was necessary for all the multitasking things they are putting in the console.

Always happy to hear the XB1 getting better specs. They must be very confident their design can handle some extra heat.

I really wish people would understand Albert is just doing his job, and simply respect him as a guy who's doing his job. You may not want an XB1 at all, and that is just fine, but there is no need to be an ass to someone from Microsoft who wants to visit this forum to share the Xbox team's perspective on things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom