• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

160,000 Nintendogs Sold During First Week In Europe

With sales of over 160,000 units in its first weekend of availability in Europe, NintendogsTM is shaping up to replicate the incredible success enjoyed in the US and Japan. In the US, Nintendogs became not only the hottest-selling video game, but the best-selling new franchise ever for a portable video game system, while in Japan it has become a truly cultural phenomenon.

"Nintendogs is clearly helping sell new Nintendo DS hardware. Aligned with a price drop to £89.99, Nintendo DS sales are up between 400-700% across Europe, this will further cement our position as leader in the portable market," commented Nintendo Senior Director of Marketing, Jim Merrick.

Nintendogs lets owners train and care for lifelike puppies using the Nintendo DS system's touch screen and microphone. Nintendogs has gone on to sell over 1.5 million copies in North America and Japan - having sold out in its first week of release in the USA with over 250,000 copies flying off the shelves during the first week on sale.

Nintendogs launched across Europe on 7th October 2005 at the estimated retail price of around £29.99. The Nintendo DS: Blue and Pink Nintendogs Bundles also launched on October 7th 2005 at the estimated retail price of just £99.99.

---

Nintendo DS sales are up between 400-700% across Europe

Price drop + Nintendogs = HUGE ;)

Btw. does "first week" mean Friday to Sunday. Anyway the numbers are FUCKING huge, but 150,000 in essentially two days would be ... yeah just insane!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
By Comparision to other Countries and is that Any Good? me am stupido ;)

Woof

Vashu

Europe = UK, right? :p

I mean, we only see the UK price, but that one's a bit different than the Euro in other countries.

But my guess is that Nintendogs will have very long legs (not IN the game of course), since word of mouth is pretty strong here. Moreso than actual advertising.

HooDoo

Vashu said:
Europe = UK, right? :p

I mean, we only see the UK price, but that one's a bit different than the Euro in other countries.

I thought the same thing but we've seen the charts and it's impossible that Nintendogs performed so well with such a low rank in the UK alone.
But the confusion UK/Europe is annoying, can't really know what's going on.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
More importantly, Nintendogs launched along with Meteos, Castlevania and Advance Wars.
It took time, but EU is at last seeing good games coming and some new DS colors. Now we are ready to see the same trend than in Japan. DS is likely to sell like crazy in the upcoming Christmas quarter.

123rl

radioheadrule83 said:
In a weekend its pretty good. The three main markets will make up the bulk of it.

In a weekend, it's definitely good. But how many countries are they including in this? Is it the 25 EU countries? All of the countries in Europe? Or is it just a handful of them?

123rl said:
In a weekend, it's definitely good. But how many countries are they including in this? Is it the 25 EU countries? All of the countries in Europe? Or is it just a handful of them?

At most - probably UK/Ire, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, France and Italy
As a collective market, they're still not the biggest. And as I say, the bulk of these sales will be from UK, Germany and France.

Keyser Soze said:
I would say it is about 160k in 4 days

Why four days? Most likely they only counted Friday to Sunday, which essentially are two days (stores are closed entirely on Sunday in Germany and probably in most other european countries, too).

123rl said:
Any mention of individual countries? 160,000 across all of Europe isn't that much tbh

160,000 in two days is definitely even better than ~250,000 in North America in one full week (especially cause the european (Nintendo-)handheld market is smaller than the NA one).

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Any country that has a solid dog loving community will see nice sales of Nintendogs. Having said that I'm a little surprised how well it has sold so far over there. This soundly puts Nintendogs over the 1 Million mark worldwide.

B E N K E said:
Wow... +400-700%

Sales must have been abysmal.

They were, but still, multiplying those sales by, say an average of 500%, would quintuple the sales, which would be very good sales.

I'm surprised at the numbers given that it was only able to hit #3 on Chartrack. Those numbers would make you think that it hit ~50k in the UK, which would normally cinch being number one. Obviously, FIFA in only it's second week would still be big, but I don't recall Tiger Woods being a huge seller.

In any case, it's still only two days and is incredibly good news for Nintendo. It's a phenomenon that looks to bode well for them for years to come as they refine the series and expand it to the obvious cantidates.

Vashu

Zerodoppler said:
So how are they advertising this game? I've not seen a single commercial for it.

Once again, Nintendo Europe literally fails at advertising, as they always do imo. Only thing we see, over here in the Netherlands that is, are short tv/commercials which generate no hype at all.

Too little, too less in all the other departments (magazines, posters), it´s quite bad. But then again, Nintendo Europe is not really known for it´s good work. Which they rarely do of course.

marc^o^

Nintendogs on the Revolution is a given.
But having it ready at launch would make Nintendo's life so much easier :)

emerge

Zerodoppler said:
So how are they advertising this game? I've not seen a single commercial for it.

Not only were the Nintendogs TV ads the only DS ads (or Nintendo ads for that matter) I've seen in what must have been years, but also I've seen them frequently, at primetime, during programs for "adults". That'd be in Germany.

B E N K E said:
Wow... +400-700%

Sales must have been abysmal.
Sales of all handhelds aren't very hot in europe.
eg: PSP sold 200.000 in one week and a grand total of 250.000 in one month... That's a HUGE drop.
NDS isn't selling as good as GBA, but isn't selling really bad.

NDS rise 400% == good sales.

123rl

radioheadrule83 said:
At most - probably UK/Ire, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, France and Italy
As a collective market, they're still not the biggest. And as I say, the bulk of these sales will be from UK, Germany and France.

Yeah that's what I thought. Lazy journalism again...a breakdown by countries would have been far more accurate

Ruud_Luiten said:
eg: PSP sold 200.000 in one week and a grand total of 250.000 in one month... That's a HUGE drop.

One simple answer to that: supply shortages. In the UK anyway, most places are STILL sold out. Indies are slowly getting stock but it's far from a stable supply

Vashu said:
Once again, Nintendo Europe literally fails at advertising, as they always do imo. Only thing we see, over here in the Netherlands that is, are short tv/commercials which generate no hype at all.

Too little, too less in all the other departments (magazines, posters), it´s quite bad. But then again, Nintendo Europe is not really known for it´s good work. Which they rarely do of course.

And that's the problem. Nintendogs is aimed at a different audience, yet the only adverts I've seen are in games shops and games magazines. If the game is aimed at people who don't normally play games then surely the advertising should be as well?

As you say...
Once again, Nintendo Europe literally fails at advertising

Vashu

I believe the GB Micro is going to be pushed a lot in the coming weeks, which ultimately has it´s impact on DS sales. So I believe the sales will go down once again for the dual-screened system.

Handheld consoles always had a pretty hard time on the European mainland, when compared to the home consoles.

And that's the problem. Nintendogs is aimed at a different audience, yet the only adverts I've seen are in games shops and games magazines. If the game is aimed at people who don't normally play games then surely the advertising should be as well?

They drop the ball continously, they could have it so much better over here if they would get off their asses and work for a change. Same with the way they handle the press, whereas Sony and MS both are quite open, Nintendo keeps it's mouth shut and treats everyone like dirt. Alright, this arrogant posture is something we have to deal with here in the Netherlands, don't know how it is in other countries.

I admit, some improvement has been made, but seriously, they need to deal with the market more seriously. Towards the press, mainstream papers had very informative specials about the X360 a few days ago, same with the PSP before launch, but the DS was a no-show as far as I know. And with advertising, they have to go out and try to appeal more people, especially in the market they say they aim for.

It just seems to me that NOE doesn't know jackshit about what NOI wants to do,.

Taker666

I have seen a Nintendogs tv advert a number of times in the UK. It's an okay ad but doesn't really show the game off much.

Nintendo's problem in the UK is lack of retail support. It's only ever there when nintendo pay for it. There are 40 or so games for the DS in the UK but if you go into most retailers you would think only 10 or so games were available.

Ruud_Luiten said:

Of course, by reports, PSP sales could have been much higher if stock was available. Many stores are claiming to still not have worked through their preorders. Even Microsoft has jabbed at Sony for not pulling the launch off in Europe (We're not going to let weeks and months go by without replenishing stock or not let retailers know when the second shipment is coming like Sony has had with the PSP.)

[Cue folks saying "Well they've got stacks here in Lichenstein!!!". ]

In any case, congrats to Nintendo.

123rl

Frankfurter said:
@123rl You shouldn't ignore the posts where people state that Nintendogs is in fact being advertised :lol

They were posted while I was typing :lol Typing and quoting three different people takes a lot of time, dude :D

In my defense though, if it was shown during X Factor then there's no way I would have seen it :p

pulsemyne

The advertising in the Uk for nintedogs has been pretty good. Targeting the X-factor for adverts was a masterstroke as its watched by all the family and espically young women. It's also talked about quite a bit on radio 1 as well. Also if you watch any comedy program on channel 4 you will see adverts for DS games as they sponser channel 4 comedy.

littlewig

Banned
But but but but.... Europe hates. Nintendo!!!!

How can the dogs do so well! It's not true, Europe = Sony land, DS is going down!!!!

HooDoo

littlewig said:
But but but but.... Europe hates. Nintendo!!!!

How can the dogs do so well! It's not true, Europe = Sony land, DS is going down!!!!

Oh please stfu ? The thread was quite nice so far, there is no need for your irony and your excessive fandom.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
people at nintendo are clearly high 5ing satan right now.

pulsemyne

It's not that europe hates nintendo, hell the euro nintendo fans are hardcore, its just that while there are lots of fans there are not many in the casual area of gaming in euro land. To be fair to nintendo this is slowly changing but its such a slow change. Also you cannot get fucking castlevania anywhere at the mo. Even if you can at so place like HMV the cunts are charging 35 quid for it.

Mojojo

Zerodoppler said:

The tv commercial in Europe is pretty lame but it's been airing a lot.. A rich girl (paris hilton like), wearing a fake dog ears plush headset, is having lunch with her father at their mansion, and asks him for a dog..He answers 'no'..short gameplay demo, then back to the girl playing Nintendogs on her pink DS; her father wants to try it but she won't let him...

Xrenity

Hmmm. Not really what I expected, although it's pretty good for a first week game :)

My guess is (while holding the 400% rise in the back of my head), many people who already had a DS didn't buy it (or imported it) and the new DS owners bought the dogs with it.
It's not that europe hates nintendo, hell the euro nintendo fans are hardcore, its just that while there are lots of fans there are not many in the casual area of gaming in euro land. To be fair to nintendo this is slowly changing but its such a slow change. Also you cannot get fucking castlevania anywhere at the mo. Even if you can at so place like HMV the cunts are charging 35 quid for it.
Sometimes it's more like Nintendo hates Europe ^^
There are many gamers here in Holland btw - read an article about Dutch kids watching TV and playing games most of the time. Microsoft sees it as a place where new technologies can be 'tested'. At least that was what the article said.

Castlevania is badly distributed. Only the 'Media Markt' (media market) sells it around here. And that for such a friggin' good game which came to Europe first.

Vashu

pulsemyne said:
The advertising in the Uk for nintedogs has been pretty good. Targeting the X-factor for adverts was a masterstroke as its watched by all the family and espically young women. It's also talked about quite a bit on radio 1 as well. Also if you watch any comedy program on channel 4 you will see adverts for DS games as they sponser channel 4 comedy.

Alright, UK seems to be on the up in that aspect. How about the other countries?

UK = Getting better
BE/NE/LUX = Still bad
FR = Exceptionally good
GE = Quite good from what I read
SP = ??
ITA = ??

These are the main-markets so far, feel free to add on to it.

Xrenity said:
My guess is (while holding the 400% rise in the back of my head), many people who already had a DS or imported it and the new DS owners bought the dogs with it.

This is true, many DS owners I know could not wait for this fun piece of software, so they all imported it.

That's the French TV ad. The UK ad is much much better, with Bill Oddie doing the voiceover, and has got huge coverage on TV.

The 160,000 sales are Friday & Saturday only.

marc^o^

Vashu said:

France is Nintendo land. Well, not exactly, the PS2 is in a league of its own here too. But I think it's the only country with Japan where the Gamecube performed better than the xBox.

French are still loving Nintendo, perhaps not as much as in the past, but games like Nintendogs and Mario Kart online are poised to be huge huge hits over there.

Oh and the Revolution controller is seen as the next big thing in our mondain dinners.

Vashu

Xrenity said:
Castlevania is badly distributed. Only the 'Media Markt' (media market) sells it around here. And that for such a friggin' good game which came to Europe first.

Seriously? So chains like EPlaza/Bart Smit and Intertoys don't have it? That's just f***ed up! Just when you think things are getting a bit better, something like this comes along. They really need to put a more aggressive stance, Nintendo that is.

What's the userbase in Europe? Can't remember the exact figure, but it seems like 10% of DS owners bought Nintendogs in the first two days, not bad... another 18 days to go and everyone will have a copy. ;)

marc^o^

2135.jpg

"Who doubts I'm a million seller?"

123rl said:
They were posted while I was typing :lol Typing and quoting three different people takes a lot of time, dude :D

In my defense though, if it was shown during X Factor then there's no way I would have seen it :p

Hey, don't say anything against X Factor, I love it :D

marvelharvey said:
What's the userbase in Europe?

It was 1.3m at the middle or end of August.

Gaybrush Threepio said:
That's the French TV ad. The UK ad is much much better, with Bill Oddie doing the voiceover, and has got huge coverage on TV.

The 160,000 sales are Friday & Saturday only.

GT,

Can you give any indication of bundles vs standalone software? It must have been huge in the bundle's favor given the UK Chartrack rankings. By huge, I don't mean it has to have been over 50% bundle, but it obviously looks like the major reason for the 400-700% HW rise was because of the bundle.

The colors are a little feminine to me, but that's probably what they were going for anyway.

Top Bottom