• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

160,000 Nintendogs Sold During First Week In Europe

polg

crisdecuba said:
He did say it was his idea... came to him a couple of years ago when they got a new puppy or something.

~Cris

Dear Shigeru:
Please keep having an eventless life that inspire u to make awesome games.

polg

I'd say a final tally of 3-4 million worldwide for Nintendogs is now pretty likely.

I think sales will be largest in the U.S. though when all's said and done, especailly with how crazy Christmas gets here and how parents/the media are always looking for this type of a "fad" during the holiday rush.

Zer0

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
How did he think up Super Mario Bros? Jumping on a trampoline? :p
he said a lot of years ago when he was on a apartment building on new york the man on manteinance was a italian plumber,he took the idea of mario from that guy

Zer0

Banned
crisdecuba said:
He did say it was his idea... came to him a couple of years ago when they got a new puppy or something.

~Cris

mikami said that he never played alone in the dark when he comes with the idea of resident evil ( sure,sure) maybe anyone played dogz on pc some years ago

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Zer0 said:
he said a lot of years ago when he was on a apartment building on new york the man on manteinance was a italian plumber,he took the idea of mario from that guy
Actually I'm pretty sure Mario was inspired by some warehouse worker for Nintendo named Mario. (Although he might have just been the inspiration for the name, not the actual design)

crisdecuba said:

~Cris

IGN is to blame for Nintendogs. Behold

Q: You took your hobby of gardening and based Pikmin on it. Will you implement your new dog into a GameCube game?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Yeah, I think maybe we'll put a dog in Pikmin that will come running out and just gobble up the Pikmin.

I don't specifically take my hobbies and try to find a way to tie them to a game or anything, but one thing that I think is very interesting about dogs and raising dogs is that I think it's really funny the way people think toward dogs and the way dogs think toward people. Dogs obviously don't understand words really and yet people talk to them as if they do, and I fight myself doing this as well and I sound like a complete fool saying complete sentences to my dog which it doesn't understand whatsoever. So I think that for me right now having and interacting with a dog is a game.

argon

Miyamoto's game ideas are usually really simple. (Mario = jump, run. Zelda = swing sword, push blocks.. etc.)

His true genius is how he seems to explore the most basic actions and tie them all together into a complex, enjoyable experience.

Deku

Banned
argon said:
Miyamoto's game ideas are usually really simple. (Mario = jump, run. Zelda = swing sword, push blocks.. etc.)

His true genius is how he seems to explore the most basic actions and ties them all together into a complex, enjoyable experience.

Yes and how he ties it into the 'garden' concept. If you notice, his best games are usually self-contained micro worlds.

jarrod

Banned
Zer0 said:
the last time i checked the castlevania i was talking was a NINTENDO DS game.try better dude
Transparent as always. So have you bought and played this NINTENDO DS game who's performance you're mourning... or are you at fault for exactly what you're criticizing?

ziran

great to see nintendogs selling well everywhere. even after 6 months i still love it :)

it's also selling well in australia, here are the weekly charts from gamasutra:

week ending september 25th
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=6684

1 - AFL Premiership 2005 Sony PS2
2 1 The Sims 2: Nightlife EA PC/MAC
3 - Nintendogs: Dachs & Friends Nintendo DS
4 - Nintendogs: Lab & Friends Nintendo DS
5 - Nintendogs: Chihuahua & Friends Nintendo DS

6 - Pokemon Emerald Nintendo GBA
7 - Burnout Legends EA PSP
8 - The Sims 2 EA PC/MAC
9 3 Need For Speed Underground Rivals EA PSP
10 - Madagascar Activision GBA

week ending october 2nd
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=6758

1 1 AFL Premiership 2005 Sony PS2
2 3 Nintendogs: Dachshund and Friends Nintendo DS
3 4 Nintendogs: Lab and Friends Nintendo DS

4 2 The Sims 2: Nightlife EA PC/MAC
5 5 Nintendogs: Chihuahua and Friends Nintendo DS
6 - Ricky Ponting Cricket 2005 Codemasters PS2
7 6 Pokémon Emerald Nintendo GBA
8 - FIFA 2006 EA PS2
9 - Ricky Ponting Cricket 2005 Codemasters Xbox
10 9 Need for Speed Underground Rivals EA PSP

Kroole

Humm.. I'm really surprised that Nintendogs is actually selling that well in Australia. The last time as was there the Nintendo section in most stores was.... well abysmal.

heidern

Wow, each of the individual Nintendogs skus debuted above Burnout psp, so the total would probably be 4 or 5 times what Burnout did. That's very different story to the UK where Burnout did really well. Seems as if the aussie psp isn't doing as hot as it is here in the UK, or maybe that's because Burnout isn't as strong down under? Unless, NOA got Mark Little and Bouncer to front their Nintendogs campaign? That would surely create Nintendogination.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
crisdecuba said:

~Cris

Shit, Nintendogs because of a puppy. Pikmin because of his backyard. Zelda because he used to explore caves as a child. Shit, they need to put him on a few acid trips and we'll get some wild shit out of him

polg

Kroole said:
Humm.. I'm really surprised that Nintendogs is actually selling that well in Australia. The last time as was there the Nintendo section in most stores was.... well abysmal.

it is the same here in NZ, but most stores have Nintendogs promotion materials...

soepkip

Vashu said:
Once again, Nintendo Europe literally fails at advertising, as they always do imo. Only thing we see, over here in the Netherlands that is, are short tv/commercials which generate no hype at all.

Too little, too less in all the other departments (magazines, posters), it´s quite bad. But then again, Nintendo Europe is not really known for it´s good work. Which they rarely do of course.

Are you blind or something? I haven't seen this much advertisement for just one game in a loooong time.

Vashu

soepkip said:
Are you blind or something? I haven't seen this much advertisement for just one game in a loooong time.

It could be that my glasses are a little bit foggy :p, but from what I hear there's generally no advertisement for Nintendogs over here. It's not just me, I hear it from a lot of people.

I didn't want to create a new topic:

"Nein, Nintendos kleine Welpen haben keinesfalls Fliegen gelernt! Grund für diesen Newstitel ist der weltweite Erfolg der tamagotchi-artigen Hunde-Simulation Nintendogs. Bereits in Japan und Amerika fanden Millionen von Welpen neue Besitzer, und nun ist Deutschland an der Reihe. Das Spiel mit dem einzig artigen Knuddel-Faktor ist bei uns in den ersten 8 Tagen schon stolze 50.000 Mal über die Ladentheke gewandert, was zur Folge hatte, dass die ersten Videospielhändler hundelos wurden."

Very short translation: 'Nintendogs has sold-through 50,000 units in the first 8 days in Germany [about half as big as the UK in terms of consoles/handheld sales].'

Obviously there is some kind of shortage (is also mentioned in the article), for example my local retailer also only had the ... YES, you're right ..., Chihuahua Edition left yesterday (probably most people don't read which dogs are in it, otherwise Chihuahua - including the German Shepperd - would probably be sold out and not the other two :lol ) :D

---> www.planetds.de

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Ndogs Reaches Number one in Aus now ;)

allgames.gif

My Site omg Plug! said:
GFK today have released their latest sales charts and it reveals Nintendogs Lab and Friends to be in the Number 1 spot. Not only is this a great acheivement 3 weeks after release but unlike the rest of the world where Dachhund and Friends is the top selling game, its the Labrador version which takes honours.

Kroole

Obviously there is some kind of shortage (is also mentioned in the article), for example my local retailer also only had the ... YES, you're right ..., Chihuahua Edition left yesterday (probably most people don't read which dogs are in it, otherwise Chihuahua - including the German Shepperd - would probably be sold out and not the other two

I'm still confused that Nintendo chose to have the Chihuahua as the front dog for that particular version instead of the more popular German Shepherd.

Top Bottom