• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

160,000 Nintendogs Sold During First Week In Europe

Xrenity

Vashu said:
Seriously? So chains like EPlaza/Bart Smit and Intertoys don't have it? That's just f***ed up! Just when you think things are getting a bit better, something like this comes along. They really need to put a more aggressive stance, Nintendo that is.
They didn't at the time it arrived :\ (and they don't now, afaik)
Heard stories about them not buying some B-titles :\
Free Record Shop doesn't even have the title in it's computer...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
sonycowboy said:
The colors are a little feminine to me, but that's probably what they were going for anyway.

2134.jpg

"I'm a million seller because I cover all tastes"

sonycowboy said:
GT,

Can you give any indication of bundles vs standalone software? It must have been huge in the bundle's favor given the UK Chartrack rankings. By huge, I don't mean it has to have been over 50% bundle, but it obviously looks like the major reason for the 400-700% HW rise was because of the bundle.

The colors are a little feminine to me, but that's probably what they were going for anyway.

That's what's annoying me. I would gladly pick up a Nintendogs pack (and pay out the arse for CV if I have to) if the colours were decent.

Anyway as for the ads. I've both seen it often and think that it's quite good. If Nintendo had advertised like this all the way during the GC's life it might have gone further. Hopefully this sends the message to Nintendo that advertising=good.

Vashu

Xrenity said:

Wait, B-title? Castlevania a B-title? What kind of sick world do we live in??!!!

But yeah, I know that they don't get all titles. That's the problem with the Blokker-group (EPLaza, Bart Smit), a friend of mine works at the EPlaza and she finds it disturbing that certain titles never even show up. Stupid mainstream bastards at the top, they don't know jack unfortunately.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Anyone know if the blue DS really looks like it does in the packshot or if looks like the US one which is a much more saturated blue?

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
ratcliffja said:
This is teal, not electric blue. Teal is a much lighter blue, with a bit of green I believe.
Oh well... makes it that much easier for me to wait for the updated version (whenever it comes out). I don't want silver, I don't want that ugly blue and I sure as hell don't want pink.

Anyone know if the new, backlit SP is out in Europe?

Mihail

Banned
Zer0 said:
a excellent 2d game beaten by a novelty toy tech demo,for me is depressing
Heh, that's nothing new. All the awesome 2D games of this gen have been beaten by novelty games (mainly in 3D).

Gessle

Castlevania has been in very low supply, at least here in Spain. The game is now sold out and Konami may deliver a new shipment by November.
Right now, the Blue DS + Nintendogs bundle is the most sold here. So far, more than 200,000 DS's have been sold through customers (for comparison, Sony have shipped 144,000 PSP's), and Nintendo of Spain expect Nintendogs to reach 150,000 units by Christmas.

SantaC

Vashu said:
Once again, Nintendo Europe literally fails at advertising, as they always do imo. Only thing we see, over here in the Netherlands that is, are short tv/commercials which generate no hype at all.

Too little, too less in all the other departments (magazines, posters), it´s quite bad. But then again, Nintendo Europe is not really known for it´s good work. Which they rarely do of course.

they're too cheap

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Xrenity said:

yeah, free record shop (why is it called that?) of the three i went to had 1 copy of awars under fire as well. The little game store, whose name I forget told me that castelvania was coming in "I think november"

damnit. Got a bart smit flyer in the mail today and they have a full page nintendogs bundle advert. PSP with spiderman on the cover though.

SantaC

Zer0 said:
a excellent 2d game beaten by a novelty toy tech demo,for me is depressing

don't act like it's something new. Many excellent and unique games fail to sell. My thoughts to psychonauts (xbox) and VJ2 (PS2, GC). Killer7 (PS2, GC)

It's just how it is.

Ceb

SantaCruZer said:
don't act like it's something new. Many excellent and unique games fail to sell. My thoughts to psychonauts (xbox) and VJ2 (PS2, GC). Killer7 (PS2, GC)

It's just how it is.

killer7 isn't even close to Castlevania's quality or brand name recognition though.

silver

Banned
Vashu said:
I believe the GB Micro is going to be pushed a lot in the coming weeks, which ultimately has it´s impact on DS sales. So I believe the sales will go down once again for the dual-screened system.

Handheld consoles always had a pretty hard time on the European mainland, when compared to the home consoles.

They drop the ball continously, they could have it so much better over here if they would get off their asses and work for a change. Same with the way they handle the press, whereas Sony and MS both are quite open, Nintendo keeps it's mouth shut and treats everyone like dirt. Alright, this arrogant posture is something we have to deal with here in the Netherlands, don't know how it is in other countries.

I admit, some improvement has been made, but seriously, they need to deal with the market more seriously. Towards the press, mainstream papers had very informative specials about the X360 a few days ago, same with the PSP before launch, but the DS was a no-show as far as I know. And with advertising, they have to go out and try to appeal more people, especially in the market they say they aim for.

It just seems to me that NOE doesn't know jackshit about what NOI wants to do,.

Shut up, man. Where's Threepio when you need him?

Nintendo of Europe is doing a lot of advertising for Nintendogs that we, as hardcore gamers, are not seeing.

In fact, I would go as far as saying this is one of the best campaigns Nintendo has ever done.

I agree with you that overall DS marketing could be better, but sales are strong and PSP isn't selling that great outside the UK.

NWO

Ceb said:
killer7 isn't even close to Castlevania's quality or brand name recognition though.

And when was the last time that Castlevania was ever considered a great seller? The games don't even sell on the PS2 so that should tell you how marketable the series is.

Ceb

NWO said:
And when was the last time that Castlevania was ever considered a great seller? The games don't even sell on the PS2 so that should tell you how marketable the series is.

There's been one PS2 Castlevania so far. It did alright despite not getting great reviews.

heidern

:lol Awesome, these numbers are even more impressive than the US numbers. It hit 220K in five days over there, it should be able to sell 30-60K in the following 3 days in Europe to hit 200Kish in the same timeframe. However it has the disadvantage of a lower userbase of ~1.4M compared to 1.9M in the US at the dogs launch and also some of the hardcore would have imported. Not only that, but in the US hardware went up 150-300% whereas here it's 400-700% which is very impressive. That's pretty much the entire previous month or month and a half in one week.

As for the UK weekly chart, there were 3 SKUs. Say it sold 43K total that could be 17K, 14K, 12K respectively. Knock some off for the hardware packs and it seems fairly reasonable to me. As for how much hardware actually sold, it's hard to say. UK DS sold ~4,625 the week of the psp launch(GBA was at ~6,166), so if sales have been fairly steady we'd be looking at around 15-25K in the UK alone for the week and I'd guess ~55-90K in Europe as a whole. A very impressive number that I'd imagine put a pretty hefty increase into the lead the DS enjoys over the psp. Judging by the kind of legs Nintendogs has and Nintendo's great line up the performance should continue strongly.

Of course GTA:LCS launches in a couple of weeks so the psp will probably get a nice boost from that to say the least(or a massive explosion of demand to be more precise). Then a couple of weeks later the GBM hits which should make a splash as it is £20 cheaper than the GBA launched so it is not really overpriced like in the US. Then a week later there's Mario Kart online and a couple of weeks later the 360(and thus according to some the neX-generation) hits. Gonna be lots of fun, especially if we start getting real numbers as MCV reported. :)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Speaking of which, was K7 released in Europe?
I don't even know as I havent heared a peep from it.

Man, I wanted this game to be a cult classic.
Doesnt seem like it.

Has it 50K WW yet even?

littlewig

Banned
CXastlevania was hard to find in the US as well, atleast it was on Saturday.

I went to TRU, Best Buy, and Gamestop but they were all sold out. I had to go to Ebgames and endure that hell hole of a place, but it was worth it for castlevania.

So, it's no surprise that it's low in qaunitity in Europe, I'm even surprised it shipped so early there.

Vashu

silver said:
Shut up, man. Where's Threepio when you need him?

Nintendo of Europe is doing a lot of advertising for Nintendogs that we, as hardcore gamers, are not seeing.

Well, I don't know where you live, but over here it's really lackluster. It has nothing to do with being a hardcore gamer that we don't see advertising, it's just not there. At least, here in the Netherlands. I only heard one remark about a short commercial for the game and that came from some kid whom I know for hanging in front of the television the entire day and doing nothing but watching it.

The rest of Europe could be good, but over here, nobody really sees it. Not even towards the demographic they tend to really capture with it.

John Harker said:
Speaking of which, was K7 released in Europe?
I don't even know as I havent heared a peep from it.

Man, I wanted this game to be a cult classic.
Doesnt seem like it.

Has it 50K WW yet even?

Yeah, it was released. But it kinda went underwhelming, which is too bad. But then again, it might have been a bit too queer for the standard gamer. I believe prices already dropped on it.

jett

D-Member
I don't get it. This AWESOME SELLING GAME and CULTURAL PHENOMENON has sold about 500k~ in Japan, and even less than in the states. Why is Nintendogs considered such a huge hit?

jman2050

jett said:
I don't get it. This AWESOME SELLING GAME and CULTURAL PHENOMENON has sold about 500k~ in Japan, and even less than in the states. Why is Nintendogs considered such a huge hit?

Wha?

Can't we teach these children that games don't HAVE to sell at OMGGTA or OMGPOKEMON levels to be considered a huge hit? It's getting quite annoying.

marc^o^

The PR says: Nintendogs has gone on to sell over 1.5 million copies in North America and Japan

Could it be that big?

heidern

jman2050 said:
Can't we teach these children that games don't HAVE to sell at OMGGTA or OMGPOKEMON levels to be considered a huge hit? It's getting quite annoying.
You know, Nintendogs is now the fastest selling new handheld IP ever in the worlds 2 biggest gaming markets(US and Europe). For this stage in it's life cycle it is very much OMGGTA and OMGPOKEMON. Even in Japan, it's launch saw the DS quadruple the psp and subsequently heralded the point where the DS outsold psp every single week for the 6 months since then.

jett

D-Member
jman2050 said:
Wha?

I don't think it's sold enough to warrant the title "Cultural phenomenon". Also, I don't think those numbers are huge. :p

snatches

Miyamoto-san's brilliance amazes.

I mean, who would have known that this would be the smash success it was?

What other company would have put the resources behind something like this?

He clearly has his finger on the pulse of the games industry.

We at gaming age who think we know how the gamer thinks totally have no idea.

Hardcore does not equal mass market.

Here that Drinky?

Mihail

Banned
snatches said:

I mean, who would have known that this would be the smash success it was?

What other company would have put the resources behind something like this?

He clearly has his finger on the pulse of the games industry.

We at gaming age who think we know how the gamer thinks totally have no idea.

Hardcore does not equal mass market.

Here that Drinky?
Yeah, but the real question is why should the hardcore market care? The fact that Nintendo is making money off Nintendogs and the DS doesn't concern me if I don't want to play simulation games.

marc^o^

Naysayers first said Nintendogs was a hit in Japan, only because they could not afford real dogs in their tiny appartments. Then they said it would not sell in US & EU. Now they contest the impact of the sales figures. Next they'll say the Revolution will only succeed in Japan. You know what comes next.

Kroole

Vashu said:
The rest of Europe could be good, but over here, nobody really sees it. Not even towards the demographic they tend to really capture with it.

Here in Sweden a Nintendogs ad has been in the Donald Duck & CO magazine (the most read comic magazine in Scandinavia) since 2-3 months. I think they know (some of) the demographic for this game :)

@heidern Do you have UK hardware numbers or where do you have the NDS and GBA numbers from? Btw. when (and how long ^^) will we get hardware numbers from MCV and will the be weekly and available for everyone (similar to Media Creates numbers for example)? It will be really interesting to see how PSP/DS perform in the UK approaching christmas.

Kroole

Mihail said:
Yeah, but the real question is why should the hardcore market care? The fact that Nintendo is making money off Nintendogs and the DS doesn't concern me if I don't want to play simulation games.

Nintendogs sales = more DSes

More DSes = more marketshare

More marketshare = more games

more games = makes hardcore player glad.

AniHawk

snatches said:

I'm really not sure if Miyamoto was the one who came up with the idea. He could have been, and I'm not saying he wasn't, but for every damn new Nintendo game that comes out, he's there to pimp it because he's the only recognizable face in the company (though Aonuma is becoming somewhat of a star himself). The director of Nintendogs was Kiyoshi Mizuki, who directed Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, and produced by Hideki Konno (who directed MK64, Super Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, and Luigi's Mansion).

Frankfurter said:
@heidern Do you have UK hardware numbers or where do you have the NDS and GBA numbers from? Btw. when (and how long ^^) will we get hardware numbers from MCV and will the be weekly and available for everyone (similar to Media Creates numbers for example)? It will be really interesting to see how PSP/DS perform in the UK approaching christmas.

NPD are actually partnering with Chart Track on that soon. It should be up and running for December IIRC.

Mrbob

Since when did Nintendo play the shipped number game in PR releases?

Maybe they have learned a thing or two from Sony and MS. ;)

Mashing

Nintendogs success should not suprise anyone. Dogs do have universal appeal ya know? And the box art and packaging is absolutely perfect for what it is. It has a "buy me!" look to it.

Mrbob said:
Since when did Nintendo play the shipped number game in PR releases?

Maybe they have learned a thing or two from Sony and MS. ;)

AFAIK they are talking about 160,000 sold through Nintendogs, don't they?

@radiohead Ah ok, thank you.

@Mashing That's what I said one or two months before the launch in the USA here to people that though Nintendogs would be a japanese phenomena.

silver

Banned
Vashu said:
Well, I don't know where you live, but over here it's really lackluster. It has nothing to do with being a hardcore gamer that we don't see advertising, it's just not there.

Yes it is, trust me. You just don't know about it. NoE does pan-European marketing, so it doesn't matter where you are in Europe.

yilmazz

Zerodoppler said:
So how are they advertising this game? I've not seen a single commercial for it.

Well I have seen more commercials for this game than for any other Nintendo game in a long time. I'm not a huge TV fan though.
The commercials are not very good, but well - at least there are some. In Germany the game is advertised with Eva Padberg (quite successful model)

See:

http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/dsfilme/Nintendogs_Page_Bundle.mov
http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/dsfilme/Nintendogs_shopping.mov

thomaser

The marketing has been very focused here in Europe. A great deal of it has been in dog-magazines and other media directed at dog-fans or girls. And they have been touring lots of dog-competitions and such with playable Nintendogs. In hairy cars :lol

heidern

Frankfurter said:
The numbers were given by SC and Izzy. As for the MCV thing, here's the link to their story. Oh, and one other thing helping the DS is that the Nintendogs bundle is at the magic £99.99. There's no messing around with memory cards or having to buy the game or whatever. If you want Nintendogs the price of entry is a nice round hundred smackers.

AniHawk said:
I'm really not sure if Miyamoto was the one who came up with the idea. He could have been, and I'm not saying he wasn't, but for every damn new Nintendo game that comes out, he's there to pimp it because he's the only recognizable face in the company (though Aonuma is becoming somewhat of a star himself). The director of Nintendogs was Kiyoshi Mizuki, who directed Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, and produced by Hideki Konno (who directed MK64, Super Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, and Luigi's Mansion).

Nintendogs is Miyamoto's baby. He said so in several interviews. I don't think he takes credit for stuff that's not his. I recall commenting about Animal Crossing on N64 for example, being something that he was very impressed by being made by other people at EAD.

Top Bottom