• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18-year-old arrested for pretending to be a doctor in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Malachi Love-Robinson's legal troubles also include a pending lawsuit over a 2016 Mazda 6 sedan that a Delray Beach dealership argues he tried to buy, but his check bounced, according to a July lawsuit filed by Florida Mag Enterprises.

Love-Robinson wrote a $1,800 check for a down payment on the $27,070 vehicle, but the bank refused payment, according to the lawsuit. The car was returned, but the dealership is seeking $7,200 for the down payment, attorney's fees and other costs, according to court records.

In a written response to the lawsuit, Love-Robinson told the court and the dealership that he mistakenly wrote a check on an account that he didn't know had been closed. The $7,200 is a lot to ask for "a mistake that was made by a young man," he wrote, according to the court record.

"I am appealing to you as a human being that made a mistake," Love-Robinson wrote.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-teen-doc-follow-day2-20160218-story.html

Hoo-doo

Banned
And here I am, investing years of my life for a dumb title of M.D. and PhD. Could have ordered that shit online for 28,99USD. Florida, yo.

d00d3n

121940767-1.jpg

Wtf is up gaf? This should have been the first post, of course. Doogie Howser is the shit.

Hydrus

lmao, this kid is great. Feel like he's the type of person who has a bright and interesting future ahead of him, regardless of what he chooses to do. The update with his "business partner" is hilarious.

This kid is an idiot, that deserves to be sued and serve some time in prison. He stole over $6000 from an 86 year old woman, who was having health issues. He's not great.

Trouble

Banned
This kid is an idiot, that deserves to be sued and serve some time in prison. He stole over $6000 from an 86 year old woman, who was having health issues. He's not great.

Yeah the whole thing stops being funny when you realize he fleeced a sick elderly woman (and probably others).

RBH

A civil lawsuit filed against Malachi Love-Robinson in 2015 alleges the then-17-year-old wrote a bad check on a new $27,000 Mazda 6, and should pay Grieco Mazda $7,000 in damages.

The complaint alleges that in June, Love-Robinson signed an order for the purchase of the 2016 Mazda 6. Love-Robinson was supposed to pay $1,800 down to take possession of the car.

However, the complaint said after the teen left with the car, the check was returned by Wells Fargo for account closed.

When Grieco demanded payment, the complaint said after the statutory 30 days, Love-Robinson failed and refused to do so. Therefore, the dealer said under the law it was entitled to damages, and said Love-Robinson owes the plaintiff $7,200 with interest.

According to a Non-Military affidavit in the first page of the complaint, the attorneys for Grieco Mazda obtained a Status Report Pursuant to Service Members Civil Relief Act.

The report reflected that upon searching the data banks, "Love-Robinson is not in active duty in the military service of the United States or any of its allies."

None of the managers on duty at Grieco Mazda Monday recalled Love-Robinson's purchase, but the director of human resources said active service members are sometimes offered discounts, usually in the amount of $500.

Lawyers for the dealer did not return phone calls to confirm whether Love-Robinson posed as a military service member, or why the Non-Military affidavit was included.

Love-Robinson wrote a response to the lawsuit in August.

In it, he said he understood the charges and complaints, but added, "I am appealing to you as a human being that made a mistake."

Love-Robinson maintained he did not know his bank account was closed, and said he offered to pay cash as a down payment but was refused. He also claimed he was only given one day to come up with the money.

"I do understand that they run a business and people do often times con them but this was not the case," Love-Robinson wrote.

He also said he would like to work out the situation and still take possession of the vehicle.

"I believe that $7,200 is allot (sic) to ask for on behalf of a mistake that was made by a young man," Love-Robinson said.

WPBF 25 News called both Love-Robinson and his criminal attorney but have not received calls back.

The civil case is in addition to the criminal charges of practicing medicine without a license. He also faces grand theft and forgery charges for allegedly writing checks stolen from an 86-year-old woman who found Love-Robinson through his Internet listings and hired him to treat her stomach pain.
http://www.wpbf.com/news/malachi-lo...-lawsuit-for-bad-check-to-car-dealer/38134858

RBH

The business partner of the 18 year old arrested for practicing without a medical license called in to Dr. Drew’s show Monday afternoon. He told the T.V. host that he is unsure if Malachi Love-Robinson is a doctor, and said that Love-Robinson had provided him with certificates and transcripts. Seriously, he seemed very confused about the whole situation. Dr. Drew had to set him straight.

“He’s 18, it is impossible for him to get the sufficient training,” Dr. Drew said.

When Wells called into Dr. Drew’s show, you can very clearly hear the panel of experts giggle throughout the entire phone interview. Here is some of the transcript:

Dr. Drew: Did you believe this young man was a physician?

Perseus Wells: At the time, yes. He is accused of not being one. I still don’t know which is which is. Is it true? Is it not true?

Dr. Drew: Perseus, he’s 18, it is impossible to get the sufficient training, it takes 8 years to get your license, then you’ve got to do post grad training after that, so it’s just impossible to do it by 18….

Perseus Wells: Well, my idea with the whole situation was not investing in Malachi, I invested in the idea of a practice. We were determined to open a practice and hire and bring MD’s in. I don’t know anything about MD’s…. He told me he was a natural doctor. I don’t know anything about natural doctors and what they do, I just took him at his word after seeing all the certifications and his degrees from Arizona State, transcripts.
http://lawnewz.com/crazy/teenage-dr-loves-business-partner-still-thinks-he-might-be-a-real-doctor/

FStop7

Banned
“I don't want to judge,” Wells said. “When the gavel hits and the jury decides that he is a liar, that’s when I'm going to say to myself, ‘Yep, he's a liar.”

How dumb can you be?

hey but dank memes amirite

Arrested again, judge orders mental health assessment.

Taken into custody Tuesday, the teen — who was also accused of posing as a doctor at a West Palm Beach hospital in 2015 — appeared in court Wednesday morning and was ordered by Judge Joseph Marx to undergo a mental health assessment.

Love-Robinson, of West Palm Beach, was booked into the Palm Beach County Jail shortly after 11 p.m. Tuesday on one count of larceny and five counts of using another person's identification without consent, records show.

The teen's latest charges stem from allegations that he was cashing checks stolen during house calls he made to an 86-year-old woman who said she found the 18-year-old through an online search.

An arrest report from Tuesday's arrest said Love-Robinson "criminally used" Anita Morrison's checking account to make $34,504 toward payments for his auto loans and credit cards. Investigators said he used about $29,700 from Morrison's checking account to pay Nissan auto loans, along with $3,000 to Citibank and almost $1,800 to Capital One.

RBH

Malachi Love Robinson, the teen arrested earlier this year for allegedly impersonating a doctor, was in court for a brief hearing Wednesday morning.

Assistant State Attorney Mike Rachel told Circuit Judge Krista Marx that he has offered Love-Robinson a 3-year prison, 5-year probation plea offer. Under criminal sentencing guidelines, Rachel told Marx, faces a recommended eight-year sentence if convicted of posing as a medical doctor and practicing medicine without a license, among other accusations.

Marx set a tentative trial date has been set for July, and set the case for a plea conference a month earlier in case Love-Robinson decides to take the deal.

His attorney, Andrew Stine, told Marx he needed at least 60 days to be ready for trial.

In total, the teen faces eight counts of fraud, two counts of grand theft, two counts of practicing medicine without a license and one count of faking a naturopathy license.
http://postoncourts.blog.palmbeachp...ccused-fake-teen-doctor-in-court-for-hearing/

Dr. Malachi Love-Robinson sounds like a name I can trust.
Sounds like the name of a weed dealer that I used to know.

I smell book deal.

Forget a book deal, this guy is ripe for NetFlix. Give him a two season contract, I want to see a TV show based around an 18 year old doctor from Florida.

RBH

ClZctzWWQAA9sUS.jpg

The teen charged with pretending to be a doctor says he wants a new lawyer.

That's what Malachi Love Robinson told a judge during a plea hearing Monday.

Love-Robinson opened a clinic in January at the age of 18, even though he doesn't have a license and won't say if he graduated high school.

Monday Love-Robinson was expected to tell a judge whether he would accept a plea deal that would put him behind bars, but instead he asked that his attorney, Andrew Stine, be removed from the case.

Judge Krista Marx allowed for a switch with the condition Love-Robinson obtain new representation by the end of the week.

"I'm praying, No. 1," said Love-Robinson after the hearing. "Just keeping myself calm is all."

Love-Robinson opened a clinic in January at the age of 18, even though he doesn't have a license and won't say if he graduated high school.

In April, prosecutors offered him three years in prison followed by five years probation

The normally talkative teen would not comment on the plea deal Monday, but as to the possibility of a trial Love-Robinson said, "There's a first time for everything, we'll see how it goes."

Love-Robinson is now expected to be in court Thursday for a status hearing with a new attorney.

Attorney Craig Lawson stuck close by Love-Robinson after the hearing Monday and told reporters he was pursuing an agreement with the teen through "phone calls and text messages." Lawson said in their correspondence that Love-Robinson had expressed a desire to go to trial.

The case is scheduled to go to trial in July.
http://www.wpbf.com/news/teen-accused-of-pretending-to-be-doctor-wants-a-new-lawyer/40135568

qcf x2

Of course he wants to go to trial, I'm sure he's seen enough of these court shows that he thinks he'll outwit everyone else. On the one hand a plea bargain involving 3 yrs jail time seems harsh, but on the other hand he conned people with actual medical issues into visiting his fake practice and if he was a 40 yr old instead of an 18 yo I would say that's what you get, so... that's what you get.

akira28

if the best they were even going to try to get me was 3 years plus probation I'd want a new public defender too.

that is the public defense system though. they're so overworked, 80% of the time they just get a defendant to plead out for the lowest sentence, under threat from a potentially harsher one.

i guess they want a career con-man instead of a potentially reformed kid. send him to Criminal University.

Pakkidis

3 years in prison and 5 year probation seems like he is getting off easy no? Pretending to be a doctor and giving out medical advice could have severe consequences.

DrBo42

Where was the family during the years this was going on? Dude is dressing in a medical coat all the time and passing himself off as a doctor in hospitals? Get him some help, no?

3 years in prison and 5 year probation seems like he is getting off easy no? Pretending to be a doctor and giving out medical advice could have severe consequences.
That's what I thought too, but I guess they don't want it to go to trial with a deal like that. I bet they throw the book at him if he forces a trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom