• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

181 confirmed dead, number expected to double - Victoria burns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickovic

Man, this is sad. :(

On a related note, Kings Park in Perth was burnt out by an arsonist earlier in the year, and just now it's gone up again, apparently the firies think it was the same prick.

smh.

Darklord

Banned
Current toll: 76 dead, 700 homes lost

This is awful. At first I thought the fires were just bad but nothing too big but it's spiraled out of control! Anyone who lights these fires needs 20 years to life in jail.

OpinionatedCyborg said:
lame "joke"

Wow. I've been suspended for WAY less than this. I hope a mod sees this. What a fucking dumb thing to post.

Darklord said:
Current toll: 76 dead, 700 homes lost

This is awful. At first I thought the fires were just bad but nothing too big but it's spiraled out of control! Anyone who lights these fires needs 20 years to life in jail.

Wow. I've been suspended for WAY less than this. I hope a mod sees this. What a fucking dumb thing to post.
Yeah, I was banned for posting ascii goatse a year or so ago. That was pretty borderline, but it was only for a couple days, so whatever. Anyway, this probably warrants a legit ban, but sometimes you just gotta say what's on your mind, even if what's on your mind is a quote from a mediocre comedy that came out in 1994 and is a bit tasteless under the circumstances. sorry, when I read fire and instantly think "smmoooooking."

Can't make the scene without the green!

santouras

there is the most bizarre juxtaposition going on right now on the tv, with us beating the kiwi's at last in the cricket, and then news about the fire :-/

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Pretty crazy, hasnt stopped raining in QLD, i got fuckin tadpoles swimming around on the foot path on the lawn, wish could send some rain down south.

Tntnnbltn

Sky News is reporting that former Nine News Melbourne newsreader (1978--1998) Brian Naylor and his wife are confirmed dead.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Tntnnbltn said:
Sky News is reporting that former Nine News Melbourne newsreader (1978--1998) Brian Naylor and his wife are confirmed dead.

Woaah ..

These fires have just been insane. The deaths, houses lost, so sad.

NotWii

Banned
A FATHER of a five-year-old boy is among at least 50 killed in the devastating Victorian bushfires destroying towns and lives.

The remains of the 37-year-old man were found by friends at his burnt-out home in Wandong - where at least three other bodies have been found - this morning.

Jarrod Champion, who saw what remained of his mate, said the arsonists behind the fires "will have to pay".

"My brother found him… it's just a skull left," Mr Champion said. "(My brother) is devastated, he won't talk."

He said that the 37-year-old’s wife and five-year-old son had fled the town earlier, but the man was about to leave with his expensive jetboat when the fire hit his home.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,25024763-421,00.html

That just sucks...
Imagine finding your friend's skeleton

xabre

Banned
Hitman said:
I'll take a stab at it... Is it Australia??

Just looking at wikipedia and Canada seems to have an unhealthy obsession with the name 'victoria'. Like half their country seems to be called victoria :lol

guidop

Tntnnbltn said:
Death toll now stands are 84. (source)

Wow, It so hard to imagine how it all happened within a day and all the deaths and damage really only caused in a 5 hour period. I'm kinda use to seeing fires last over a week or a few days

This really is so sad

Yagharek

guidop said:
Wow, It so hard to imagine how it all happened within a day and all the deaths and damage really only caused in a 5 hour period. I'm kinda use to seeing fires last over a week or a few days

This really is so sad

Yep. Yesterday morning it really wasnt an issue (from a non-victorian's perspective) aside from a few big fires burning as we get each and every summer. Wake up this morning and it seems like a complete and utter disaster has hit like a flash. Not good at all.

legend166

I'm probably missing something, but is this going to become the worst disaster in Australian history in terms of deaths, outside of war? We lost 88 in Bali, but this seems to keep rising.

So sad.

Tntnnbltn

legend166 said:
I'm probably missing something, but is this going to become the worst disaster in Australian history in terms of deaths, outside of war? We lost 88 in Bali, but this seems to keep rising.

So sad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disasters_in_Australia_by_death_toll

RandomVince said:
The only thing I can think of is the Granville train crash, that was pretty bad. (not trying to get into a pissing contest over disaster sizes, not that Im saying you are either). Cyclone Tracy, Bali bombings, Port Arthur shootings, Newcastle earthquake in 1989 or '90.
Of the disasters you listed...
2002 Bali bombing: 89 (Australian) deaths
2009 Victorian bushfires: 84+ deaths
1977 Granville railway disaster: 83 deaths
1974 Cyclone Tracy: 71 deaths
1996 Port Arthur massacre: 35 deaths
1989 Newcastle earthquake: 13 deaths

Yagharek

legend166 said:

So sad.

The only thing I can think of is the Granville train crash, that was pretty bad. (not trying to get into a pissing contest over disaster sizes, not that Im saying you are either). Cyclone Tracy, Bali bombings, Port Arthur shootings, Newcastle earthquake in 1989 or '90.

santouras

tri_willy said:
i believe there will be a benefit for the next odi between aust vs. nz where funds will go to victims
I believe they said that all profits from the match go to the victims. I hope I'm getting that right and if I am I hope all Adelaide people get out in force to the game.

Sleeker

I thought we had escaped the major fire threat after that heat wave.

Then this bastard of a 43 degree day comes up and the whole state is burning.

Grug

Some of these news bulletins are killing me.

One bloke who seemed in shock who said something along the lines "I've still got my daughters, I've got my family, that will do me". That got my teary.

Grug

Napoleonthechimp said:
The Australians often give us crap in the UK because of our poor weather, but you can give me rain and snow any day instead of searing heat.

I'm sure the people underwater in flooded Queensland laugh at your rain.

Grug

tri_willy said:
is there meant to be a $10 million package to aid these victims atm??? not sure of the full confirmation

Yeah, Rudd has announced it.

Doesn't seem enough money to me...

Forsete

I cant imagine what it must be like. All those people, all the houses.

They think a person did this? I hope a lynchmob gets to him first.

Grug

Napoleonthechimp said:
No major floods, no forest fires, few tornado's, no cyclones, very few earthquakes. I think I'll stay in the UK thanks.

Bad weather comes and goes, but you'll be stuck amongst English people for life. When I lived there it was bad food, Chav central and the beginning of the "happy slapping" fad. I'll take my chances with the weather, and that's all I've got to say about that.

Sky News said the current death toll is likely to just be scratching the surface. This is just horrible.

xabre

Banned
Darklord said:
If 1000 people are effected that's only $10,000 isn't it? Not nearly enough.

I'm sure it's just an initial relief package. There should be more support in time.

Napoleonthechimp said:
No major floods, no forest fires, few tornado's, no cyclones, very few earthquakes. I think I'll stay in the UK thanks.

Saved your arse from Napoleon and Hitler too. What a magical little island it is.

Pikelet

OpinionatedCyborg said:
mask-smokin.jpg

Fuck off. My friends uncle lost his house, i know people who live in the area who feared for their lives, let alone their property. What in the world made you think this was appropriate? Did you feel removed from the tragedy because of internet anonymity or because it didn't occur in your country of residence? you fucking twat.

FORMER Nine Network newsreader Brian Naylor and his wife Moiree have been killed in Victoria's single deadliest bushfire.

Max@GC

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Yeah, I was banned for posting ascii goatse a year or so ago. That was pretty borderline, but it was only for a couple days, so whatever. Anyway, this probably warrants a legit ban, but sometimes you just gotta say what's on your mind, even if what's on your mind is a quote from a mediocre comedy that came out in 1994 and is a bit tasteless under the circumstances. sorry, when I read fire and instantly think "smmoooooking."

Can't make the scene without the green!

I´d call that situation "thinking before speaking".

xabre said:
Saved your arse from Napoleon and Hitler too. What a magical little island it is.
What? Are you kidding me... There's plenty of societies that wouldn't exist right now without this 'magical little island' so please, let's not go there...

xabre

Banned
Napoleonthechimp said:
What? Are you kidding me...

Chill. Of course I meant that the fact you're an island provided protection against invasion while countries in Europe were much more susceptible.

Darklord said:
96 dead now!

How did it get so high? Where people trapped from the start or something?

Man it just keeps going up.

I think the speed and ferocity of fires has simply caught too many unawares. Sudden gusts of wind can do this.

Grug

Darklord said:
96 dead now!

How did it get so high? Where people trapped from the start or something?

Once it becomes a firestorm, the fire is like a tsunami.

Some people were unable to outrun the flames in their cars.

Darklord

Banned
Grug said:
Once it becomes a firestorm, the fire is like a tsunami.

Some people were unable to outrun the flames in their cars.

I find it hard to imagine flames moving that fast. Not that I'm saying I don't believe it that would be crazy seeing flames out run a car!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'm guessing this temperature is insane fore Australia?

We get to 110+ for several weeks a year in Texas, but we all have AC's and are use to it.

xabre

Banned
StoOgE said:
I'm guessing this temperature is insane fore Australia?

It's not insane for Australia as a whole but it's certainly insane for the part of Australia it occurred in.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
xabre said:
It's not insane for Australia as a whole but it's certainly insane for the part of Australia it occurred in.

gotcha, I've never been there, but for some reason I always thought it was a pretty hot climate all over the island. I guess the East coast is cooler?

tri_willy

OpinionatedCyborg said:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/AlteredVisionStudios/mask-smokin.jpg

you're a fucking prick and a half!!! go post your lowly lame jokes elsewhere only to be flamed by other decent folk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom