• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1899 (Creators of Dark) | Official Trailer | Netflix | November 17

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's more time travel, isn't it?

Reminds me of...

BIFRxCZ.jpg

Buggy Loop

I have a feeling this will be amazing, it definitely looks amazing and with Dark as a benchmark, i'm so in.

Jantje Friese and Baran bo Odar are crazy sci-fi writers. Like move the fuck out of the way Lost, these guys can actually finish a batshit insane story.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Looks great. I still need to watch Dark
It’s fantastic. The English dubs are pretty mediocre bordering on bad, but the story is so good you forget about it after a couple episodes. Some peeps complain about the last season, but I absolutely loved it, and I personally believe the ending was one of the best time travel show endings I have ever seen…it was just perfect to me.

One episode in.

I love how unafraid these writers are of testing the limits of their audience's comprehension. Dark slowly built up to that, but this seems crazy from the get-go.

First impressions of the Prometheus is that it's spent the last four months underwater and has somehow been raised.

20cent

Banned
I quickly felt it was going to be

similar to that
13 Sentinels
ending

Last edited:
I loved Dark with all my heart. 1899 is just good.

And, this girl is claiming 1899 basically stole all her ideas from her comics released in 2016 called Black Silence. She even explains how that could have happened in her twits.

Hugare

I loved Dark with all my heart. 1899 is just good.

And, this girl is claiming 1899 basically stole all her ideas from her comics released in 2016 called Black Silence. She even explains how that could have happened in her twits.

She is a brazilian artist, and I know her for years now

And this is embarassing. She is reaching so much.

"It has piramids, and my work also has piramids!"

Lot of people are reading her comics now, so good for her, I guess.

She is a brazilian artist, and I know her for years now

And this is embarassing. She is reaching so much.

"It has piramids, and my work also has piramids!"

Lot of people are reading her comics now, so good for her, I guess.
Well it goes way deeper than that.

It was entertaining for sure. Not quite as good as DARK S1, but overall well-made. About halfway through the session, you can already guess what's going on.

That it's a bit like the Matrix with characters stuck inside a looping simulation, that should rid them of their traumas and lead them to rational decisions. I believe that the ending is just another simulation, basically Level 2 and one step closer to reality.

Last edited:

Bojji

It was entertaining for sure. Not quite as good as DARK S1, but overall well-made. About halfway through the session, you can already guess what's going on.

That it's a bit like the Matrix with characters stuck inside a looping simulation, that should rid them of their traumas and lead them to rational decisions. I believe that the ending is just another simulation, basically Level 2 and one step closer to reality.

With that they could name second season: 2099

Many unanswered questions but overall i liked it, dark was (even with that ending) much better.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
i didn't get the hype for dark. tried too hard to be edgy and confusing. i'll see if this is any good.
Hype is the enjoyment killer. I watched Squid Game before it took off and really liked it. Had I watched it a month later knowing all the hubbub around it, I would've pushed back.

Dark somehow pulled off being a logical story that described an intricate, complex clockwork universe while also conveying immersive, real human emotions and reactions to what should've been unrelatable situations. It was better written than, say, 99% of media I've seen, and that's incorporating my opinion on what I thought was a final season that was a step down from the priors

TonyK

Finished episode 2, it's pretty boring. I hate the use of a modern song at the end of episodes. It seems they put them only to sell a soundtrack at the end.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Just finished episode 5…what a mind fuck. Without spoilers, if you were bored the first half of the season, just push through, things go super nuts in episode 5. As a reminder, the first 3 or 4 episodes of Dark were slow as hell too.

Just finished episode 5…what a mind fuck. Without spoilers, if you were bored the first half of the season, just push through, things go super nuts in episode 5. As a reminder, the first 3 or 4 episodes of Dark were slow as hell too.
Don’t believe his lies. I think it gets even more boring as it goes along.

Can I just say as well - this bullshit of people going into monologues in a language to people that do not understand that language. And everyone is standing and listening intently as if they’re understanding. Made no sense.

Does this have the same drawn out bullshit speeches like dark? Everytime someone asked 'who are you' or 'whats going on?' it would be answered with bullshit like 'theres and ending and a beginning...'

Made me rage.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Don’t believe his lies. I think it gets even more boring as it goes along.

Can I just say as well - this bullshit of people going into monologues in a language to people that do not understand that language. And everyone is standing and listening intently as if they’re understanding. Made no sense.
Okay…I’m lying about my opinion? Fair enough lol

Valonquar

So from this thread you can pretty much gather: If you liked Dark, you'll like 1899. If you hated Dark, you will most likely hate this too.
I liked em both. I do agree that there was a lot of times where someone was speaking English to a group of 10 people where only 1 other person actually understood English. It was a bit goofy, but they do at least have half the group say "WTF ARE THEY SAYING" a lot.
Guess we gotta wait a full year+ to find out if it's even more like 13 Sentinels or not.

TonyK

I liked Dark but I abandoned 1899 at third episode. Impossible to believe the characters and setting for me. All time I feel they are in a mental hospital (as it's shown at the beginning of the show) and all you see is a representation of their illness or whatever. I simply can't believe what it's happening. Well, and it's pretty boring, that's the main problem of course.

I know more people that, like me, liked Dark and they ditched 1899 after a couple of episodes. I don't think it will have the same praise and success as Dark.

Kind of random but if anyone here likes shows like Lost and this, there's a season of a show on Epix called From and it's absolutely awesome. There's very few shows I would highly recommend, but i'm 4 episodes in to this show and so far From is one of them. I would rank it not as good as Lost (nothing is) but I am enjoying it almost as much. More than 1899. It also stars Harold Perrineau (Michael from Lost) so thought that was kind of cool.

Last edited:
Kind of random but if anyone here likes shows like Lost and this, there's a season of a show on Epix called From and it's absolutely awesome. There's very few shows I would highly recommend, but i'm 4 episodes in to this show and so far From is one of them. I would rank it not as good as Lost (nothing is) but I am enjoying it almost as much. More than 1899. It also stars Harold Perrineau (Michael from Lost) so thought that was kind of cool.
Does From provide answers? I can see that it’s on a streaming service that I have cancelled (I have till December to watch the shows).

I was expecting a cozy ghost ship/bermuda triangle story. What I got instead was stupid and nonsensical. The last time I felt so offended watching a TV show was GoT season 8.

Top Bottom