• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1899 (Creators of Dark) | Official Trailer | Netflix | November 17

Kind of random but if anyone here likes shows like Lost and this, there's a season of a show on Epix called From and it's absolutely awesome. There's very few shows I would highly recommend, but i'm 4 episodes in to this show and so far From is one of them. I would rank it not as good as Lost (nothing is) but I am enjoying it almost as much. More than 1899. It also stars Harold Perrineau (Michael from Lost) so thought that was kind of cool.
I watched the first episode - it’s good.

Pejo

Watched 3 eps, it's an EXTREMELY slow burn. Fell asleep in both episodes 2 and 3. Shame, I love the setting and where I >think< the plot is going to go, but I just can't stay awake until it gets there.

Neolombax

First few episodes were pretty good, it dragged more than it should towards the end. Honestly felt it could cut out 1 or 2 episodes. The ending was okay i guess.

Bojji

Does From provide answers? I can see that it’s on a streaming service that I have cancelled (I have till December to watch the shows).

NOPE

Show is quite good but absolutely no answers, just more mysteries added with each episode, same mistake lost did (and failed at ending).

NOPE

Show is quite good but absolutely no answers, just more mysteries added with each episode, same mistake lost did (and failed at ending).
Yeps, I just finished the first season and no answer - only mystery after mystery. No way will this payoff. Some of the teenage drama in this got on my nerves.

RaduN

Not that great.

Some decent acting, but that's about it. Predictable and and downright stupid at times.

Dark was obviously better (first 2 seasons at least).

jason10mm

Gold Member
Does this have the same drawn out bullshit speeches like dark? Everytime someone asked 'who are you' or 'whats going on?' it would be answered with bullshit like 'theres and ending and a beginning...'

Made me rage.
Yeah, that kinda obtuse dialogue is the epitome opf sloppy writing for me.

Girl looking at future time traveller who is actually her son and is trying to ensure he stays being born: "Who are you? Why are you taking me to this dark alley away from those strange robot looking floating orbs?"

Guy who is actually her future son come back to save himself: "It's....complicated. Too hard to explain. Just trust me. All things will reveal themselves in time and just be sure that this is the right thing to do as life is a circle that repeats if we do our part as a component of Gaia in the slipstream of time....." and on and on for 10 minutes.

Girl: "What?"

Guy: "Fuck it. I'm your son from the future trying to make sure you still have me, got it?!?!"

Girl: "Oh, that actually explains a lot. Does that mean we shouldn't fuck again?"

jason10mm

Gold Member
Don’t believe his lies. I think it gets even more boring as it goes along.

Can I just say as well - this bullshit of people going into monologues in a language to people that do not understand that language. And everyone is standing and listening intently as if they’re understanding. Made no sense.
I'm watching this with the english dub and yeah, it's very hard to figure out who is who (or who is from where, I guess) since there are no regional accents. I take it the geisha girls are NOT speaking japanese to each other but are also not speaking english/german/french either? Probably should turn off the dub but the wife would then just constantly ask me what they said as she is on her phone like 95% of the time despite wanting to watch the show 🙄

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Kind of random but if anyone here likes shows like Lost and this, there's a season of a show on Epix called From and it's absolutely awesome. There's very few shows I would highly recommend, but i'm 4 episodes in to this show and so far From is one of them. I would rank it not as good as Lost (nothing is) but I am enjoying it almost as much. More than 1899. It also stars Harold Perrineau (Michael from Lost) so thought that was kind of cool.
Ehh, I noped out of From round ep 4 when it seemed obvious that there just couldn't be a rational explanation on top of all the incredibly silly artificial drama like the strange and nonsensical "law" that you gotta make a permanent choice to live in the party house or in grimdark town on day one. That show needed a BIG dose of testosterone to make it about fucking up those ghost/demon things rather than just yet another "the real evil is.....us" show where the tangible threat is just a side-show.

If it ends up making a lot of sense and not just being a big ole mystery box full of shit I'll revisit it. It was gory, but strangely not that graphic, and the EMT chick was balls hot.

Thanks for the recco man... I reaally enjoyed From and very much looking forward to season 2

xrnzaaas

I dropped it after episode 3. It's going very slow, but still has the time to feature gay scenes & other fillers at the same time, I didn't like/care about the reveals so far and I'm not really interested in seeing where it ultimately goes.

From is a much better new mystery show imo even though it has its own shortcomings. I was able to watch a complete season of that while staying interested.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Waaaaaaaaay too mystery boxy for me. Unlike Dark, I don't get the sense of a coherent logical ruleset yet to be revealed, just "look, it's this weird!?!?" surprises that can't be played in reverse. Given the season iffhanger, I just can't figure out how some of the character stories make sense in the context of what the lead went through. Even the 1899 setting seems arbitrary.

Fbh

Just watched this over the past couple of weeks.
I liked it, it's not as good as Dark but I still found it enjoyable, the international cast and variety of languages gave it a unique vibe and visually I like the sombre tone. Generally I'd be turned off by the extreme mystery box nature of this but Dark has given me the confidence they at least have a story outline already written and won't just make shit up on the go like JJ Abrams/Damon Lindelof.

Top Bottom