• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1990s Superhero Redesigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

The 90s were extreme. No costume, no matter how iconic, was safe.

Superman:

(first a mullet)
mullet-superman.jpg

(and then Electro)

Batman:

azbat-2.jpg

Spider-Man

230px-Spider-Man_(Ben_Reilly).jpg

(Better than what he originally wore I suppose)

ScarletSpider.jpg

Wolverine

wolverine5.gif

Hulk

4152606141_df14447977.jpg

The Avengers

I could go on, but I will let others post their favourites. I don't think there was ever a decade in comics that ignored the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" advice more than the 90s.

Varna

I actually thought beast like wolverine was kind of cool. Someone remind me, how did he get the adamantium again?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
the avengers one you posted doesnt fit. iron man has constant armor redesigns, thors platelet armor and its variants are fantastic, and caps costume is a slight variant of his traditional costume.

the hulk is so damn odd he doesnt even fit the 90s.

BeerSnob

Seriously Liefeld, what the hell were they toting around in those pockets? And why did they need each one to be separate, yet need so much of it? Are they rare earth magnets? Just give him a damn backpack!

I love this sterotype that the 90s was so extreme just because of a few fringe books and Image. Alot of that stuff like azreal batman and long haired superman lasted less than a year and was just experimentation.

This is the reality of the 90s. Great costume designs across the board:

Meanwhile in the 90s:
ConnorHawkeGAV2102.jpg

200px-Starman_modernage.jpg

BeerSnob

thank god he brought his two little thigh belts or else he might really be in trouble. he probably keeps the rest of superboy's hair in the other thigh pack

And two sashes made entirely of pockets...dammit Rob you can't just make clothes OUT OF pockets, that's just not how things are done.

There was definitely more creativity in the 90s now everything feels editorially mandated and only makes it in the comics if Quesada/Bendis or Didio/Johns approves.

I mean look at the 90s take on the Justice League
JLA.jpg

Wolverine always looks weird to me outside of anything but jeans, a t-shirt (or tank), boots and a jacket. I guess that's more "Logan" but eh, a costume always seemed like something he'd say "fuck it" to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom