• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1990s Superhero Redesigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Somebody cracking the Avenger's varsity jacket?

The Wasp

2tkT8Gj.jpg

Thor
2009-08-11_191705_thorcostume-5.jpg

dan2026

The ending the the Knightfall saga was all kinds of cool.

When Bruce comes back to regain his mantle and finds Azreal has become this violent, mechanised, madman.

Then Bruce defeats him using wits and intelligence, without ever throwing a punch.
To me it signifies the end of the 90s and the start of the modern age.

AniHawk

The ending the the Knightfall saga was all kinds of cool.

When Bruce comes back to regain his mantle and finds Azreal has become this violent, mechanised, madman.

Then Bruce defeats him using wits and intelligence, without ever throwing a punch.
To me it signifies the end of the 90s and the start of the modern age.

knightfall ended in 1994, right when the clone saga started, before age of apocalypse began, and during the return of superman. i do like the interpretation of it being at least some sort of rejection of 90s comics in a way, but the worst was yet to come.

dan2026

knightfall ended in 1994, right when the clone saga started, before age of apocalypse began, and during the return of superman. i do like the interpretation of it being at least some sort of rejection of 90s comics in a way, but the worst was yet to come.

I suppose the dates don't really add up.

But I still interpret it as a rejection of the violent and bleak stories of the period, like you said.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Eeep... I, uh, I really liked Age of Apocalypse. *hides*

Sojgat

who's the idiot drawing this? from "excuuuse me" iron man to "broken neck" hulk to dull-faced thor and cap, it's surely a masterpiece

Steve McNiven. He's usually pretty good, but the layout of this image is terrible though. A lot of times with these posters they get a different artist to draw each character, and it just ends up a total mess. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and pretend he was going for that look intentionally.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
i never made it past the first volume. i had no idea what the hell was going on.

the x-men cartoon made it seem pretty cool, at least.

Fair enough, chap! Personally, I love it when they play around with comic mythos like that. The Gen X AoA series in particular was genuinely horrific! Shame on you, Colossus.

Not sure what the general consensus is, but I wouldn't have said AoA was super indictive of 90s comics.

Deprive

That Dr.Fate redesign :O

Damn..

Didn't that Sue costume only come about because she was taken over by Malice a few issues before?

Sojgat

I'm pretty sure this is a joke cover

It is. Walt Simonson wasn't the biggest fan of the industry at that time. His was probably the best run of FF since Stan and Jack (yup, better than Byrne). Doombots retcon is still the greatest in the history of comics.

Speaking of which, his Doctor Doom redesign was awesome.

returnofdoom2.jpg

Village

While the parallax thing was terrible, that costume is cool.

Also whatthe crap, how is old red robin better than the new one? Espically with the hood one dude looks extra plain.

I'm really surprised at the love for the Scarlett Spider costume, I absolutely hate it. But really, I only like the original suit and the black Secret Wars suit - everything else is blasphemy.

I also have a strong dislike for any Spider-man that isn't Peter Parker.

Oh, and Peter and MJ are still married in my little world. Screw you, Joe.

It always baffles me how fucking lame Iron Man looked before the movies.

im1.jpg

Extremis armor wants to say hi ;)
But yes, besides the Heros Reborn and Return suits most of the pre-2000 suits of IM are often dated

And now onwards to the best of the 90ties:

sfo-kyle-rayner.jpg

Great and very memorable mask, nice color and very unique shapes all around the suit.

bengraven

Keep it simple. That's why, despite being a Marvel fan, I acknowledge that DC has better costume redesigns for the most part. Keeping it simple.

That said, I always kind of liked the Scarlet Witch from the Avengers book in the OP. Wasn't that Deodato I think? I loved his art, though this pic is a pretty bad one.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The big thing that always bothers me about most drawings of Iron Man I see is that they always seemed to treat the armor like this skin-tight flexible thing that still allowed full flexure and contortion of limbs (before Extremis and the whole nanomachine thing)

I mean yeah, I get it, making him look stiffer would have taken more time to plan and illustrate, but it always bugged me

Sojgat

No. Was that the joke? I dont know who did the bottom picture so I dont know if its a running theme or something.

I took it to mean that the same 90s artists are still designing all the costumes at DC, and the marvel ones are just as terrible. Costume design has regressed back to the worst shit from the 90s. New 52 costumes are trash even when Jim Lee draws them.

Also guys, Hulk from that era wasn't constantly running around with guns. He's using a gas greneade launcher to incapacitate an army of human soldiers in that picture (although on the cover of the issue he's firing some sort of stupid Liefeld blaster, for whatever reason). The image was popular, so Marvel used it on a bunch of trading cards and stuff. Hulk still mainly fucked shit up with his bare hands. He wore this ill-fitting jumpsuit thing, because as an amalgamation of the two previous Hulks and Banner's intellect, he probably felt like kind of a dickhead running around in shredded stretch pants all the time.

2952447-596815-professor6.gif

(sigh, shredded jumpsuit is all I could find).

The big thing that always bothers me about most drawings of Iron Man I see is that they always seemed to treat the armor like this skin-tight flexible thing that still allowed full flexure and contortion of limbs (before Extremis and the whole nanomachine thing)

I mean yeah, I get it, making him look stiffer would have taken more time to plan and illustrate, but it always bugged me

It's basically because the design evolved in a simpler time when comics where for kids who didn't really question such things (even though they probably did). It was easier to draw, looked more like the other superheroes, and it became iconic. Over the years they've tried to explain it in a bunch of ways though.

Here's a link to the most detailed explanations of each that you will likely ever find:
http://ironmanarmory.com/Armors.html

Edit: Here's the extreme 90s armored Daredevil that comic nerds hate so much, just because I've always kinda liked it.

After years of crime fighting Daredevil gets beaten up one time, and decides he needs to start wearing armor.

R.I.P

BOOOOOO

Ben Reilly is amazing. His Scarlet Spider costume and his Spider-Man costume are the best.

I loved Ben Reilly and the Scarlet Spider suit was cool as hell. How dare you.

I actually started reading the comics when Ben Reilly was The Spider-Man (I was about 6 or 7 back then) so I always thought he was a lot cooler than Peter. I was sooo devastated when he died :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom