• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up.com Revolution editor roundtable discussion

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Is it just me, or has 1up been bitchslapping the competition lately?

Very cool feature. A panel made up of an idealist, a realist, and a cynic. All bases covered. I think I agree with Simon Cox more than the others, the cynic of the bunch. But, we'll see.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Drensch said:
They have good content. The problem is their site is nearly impossible to use.

Navigation can always improve. Content is key.

And no, I'm not on the payroll.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Drensch said:
They have good content. The problem is their site is nearly impossible to use.

RSS makes it tons easier to navigate. i wish they would create a flash-less version of the site or something

kablooey

"The Ejaculator" sounds like a good name for the control, actually. ;)

But yes, that was an informative and entertaining segment, 1up, well done. :)`

impirius

After watching the whole thing... that was a good discussion!
skip said:
we're still working on our studio. it'll be good...eventually. :)
So are these roundtables going to be a regular thing, then? :D

If they are, my one request is that the phrase "sperm peripheral" (or whatever it was) be banned from any future episodes.

Why did that guy in the pink shirt keep saying that Nintendo just created Sony's controller for them?

Sony isn't creative now? For all we know, they might have a controller nearly prepared that will blow everything else out of the water.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Goreomedy said:
Navigation can always improve. Content is key.

Their site's been a navigation disaster since forever - they don't care. It's usable if you stick to RSS feeds, GAF links, and don't browse around.

skip

DjangoReinhardt said:
Their site's been a navigation disaster since forever - they don't care. It's usable if you stick to RSS feeds, GAF links, and don't browse around.

yeah, we do care. there was another thread recently with feedback like this...don't think that we didn't listen or show it to the appropriate people.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I didn't like it. I can see why these guys are writers and not broadcasters. The "roundtable" wasn't very round. I think it would have been better had Mark (??? the guy that played it.) rehearsed what he was going to say, explained the demostration clearly and just cut the other people out altogether because they didn't add much. Remarks about a chin strap and sperm adoptors weren't necessary, or even very funny.

I was also have trouble streaming it, so that may have swayed my opinion.

CO_Andy

NintendosBooger said:
For all we know, they might have a controller nearly prepared that will blow everything else out of the water.
Sony... still using the same dpad AND the same buttons. Sony has the worst controllers, i'd say.

masud

Banned
NintendosBooger said:
Why did that guy in the pink shirt keep saying that Nintendo just created Sony's controller for them?

Sony isn't creative now? For all we know, they might have a controller nearly prepared that will blow everything else out of the water.
Good one! :lol

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
DjangoReinhardt said:

I remember the beginnings of IGN, Gamespot, and Gamers.com. I think 1up has caught onto the content aspect of what makes a winning video game site quicker than the rest. The writers can't control the navigation aspect. User interface is the hardest thing to perfect. I think they'll eventually nail it. My advice, follow Google's lead. Simplicty over flashy production.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
skip said:
yeah, we do care.

Please, please, please streamline it. Your original content - editorial blogs, roundtables, the extended features, etc. - is great. Really, that aspect has gotten so much better the last few months. Throw in video reviews and you've got Gamespot and IGN beat by a wide margin.

mj1108

NintendosBooger said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I don't think we knew you were a comedian?

Link

The Autumn Wind
I think it's really a catch 22 for Nintendo. On one hand, the controller cradle is a necessity, because otherwise, they'll be getting the short end of the stick in terms of third party, multiplatform games. On the other hand, as was touched on, that may also make developers more complacent about using the unique features.

Companies like EA and Activision probably won't want to spend the time and money utilizing those features when they can just design it for the cradle exactly like the PS3 and X360 versions.

I think Nintendo has their work cut out for them with this thing when it comes to third party support.

Ulairi

Banned
NintendosBooger said:

Well, since they ripped off the SNES controller for the PSX, ripped off Nintendo with the DS, I think it's a pretty safe bet that both Sony and MS will come up with their own technology for next gen.

Nintendo has been developing stuff for other comapnies for years.

MrDaravon

yoopoo said:
1Up had a great interface back in early 2004 http://web.archive.org/web/20040615103247/www.1up.com/category2/0,2051,1233862,00.asp

I use to visit the site much more than ign or gamespt...after the idiotic flash interface I don't even think about going to 1up anymore.

IAMWTP.

Agreed, content is great, but if the navigation blows, no one's going to see or bother trying to get to the content. I go to IGN solely for the fact that 1up's layout sucks all kinds of ass. If they fixed it I'd go there instead.

kablooey

Link said:
I think it's really a catch 22 for Nintendo. On one hand, the controller cradle is a necessity, because otherwise, they'll be getting the short end of the stick in terms of third party, multiplatform games. On the other hand, as was touched on, that may also make developers more complacent about using the unique features.

Companies like EA and Activision probably won't want to spend the time and money utilizing those features when they can just design it for the cradle exactly like the PS3 and X360 versions.

I think Nintendo has their work cut out for them with this thing when it comes to third party support.

That's a good point. Though even with the shell, the Rev has the sensory functionality that the other controllers don't have, which could allow for developers to make some additions. I think the most apt comparison is with the DS...there are some games that use the touch screen in innovative ways, though a lot more that would've worked on previous handhelds, but with added features to try to use the touch screen. See Castlevania for example.

I think, at first at least, that's the sort of thing we'll see with the Rev. If Nintendo can pioneer innovative ways to use the controller, and create marketable games, we'll soon start to see other devs do the same.

Link said:

Well when it comes to ports, it's probably better not to just shoehorn features in that obviously were never even considered when the game was designed. I think that hurt connectivity and hurts a lot of DS titles. Sometimes no ideas are better than bad ideas.
If they can't think of a good use for the controller, I don't think they should force it.

Whether it works or not, we know Nintendo isn't banking on 3rd parties to lead the way in putting the controller to good use. So if they can come up with some good games of their own that use the controller, along with traditional facorties form 3rd parties, they'll be in much better shape.

mCACGj

I think the one guy made a good point when he said that Nintendo really isn't necessarily looking for Splinter Cell 4 or whatever(though, they wouldnt mind it) but what they really want is for developers to have a small team, with not that big of a budget developing games specifically for the Revolution. I really think this could be a big plus for the Revolution. If it keeps development costs down, there really isnt a reason why big developers like Konami, Capcom, EA, Ubisoft, etc etc can't make games for it. And these games can really only be played on the Revolution.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I suspect that for the better part of the first year, if not beyond, the best usage of the new controller will be exemplified in first party games.

argon

kablooey said:
That's a good point. Though even with the shell, the Rev has the sensory functionality that the other controllers don't have, which could allow for developers to make some additions. I think the most apt comparison is with the DS...there are some games that use the touch screen in innovative ways, though a lot more that would've worked on previous handhelds, but with added features to try to use the touch screen. See Castlevania for example.

I think, at first at least, that's the sort of thing we'll see with the Rev. If Nintendo can pioneer innovative ways to use the controller, and create marketable games, we'll soon start to see other devs do the same.

The problem here is that there will be likely not two but three control configurations at launch: the remote only, the nunchucks, and the classic shell.

I have no doubt Nintendo will release many mainstream-oriented games requiring only the remote, and nothing more. I'm talking about games like Nintendogs (maybe with a microphone attachment), Brain Training, Mario Party, and maybe even Mario 128. The genius about the remote is that it is more a coffee-table set piece than a controller. It will draw people in. "Hmm.. What's that? I wonder how it works."

The analog stick seems to be provided for more complex games like action-adventures, RPGs, and especially FPS. Its essential to have packed-in with the system so developers can guaruntee it will be available as a control scheme. Note that as previously mentioned by someone on this board, the nunchuck configuration very nearly matches the N64 in terms of control options, so its alot closer to a traditional gamepad than it looks.

This leaves the classic shell for lazy 3rd party ports and retro gaming. But by including this in the package, it REALLY detracts 3rd parties from developing for the nunchuck configuration, which is most likely the superior control scheme of the three choices. It also adds major confusion to the casual gamer.

This is why I think they should only sell the shell as a (cheap) add-on, and somehow try to push 3rd parties into developing for the nunchuck as the primary control scheme instead. This will totally simplify things. Unlike the classic shell, having the one handed free-roaming movement of the remote will spur great ideas in 3rd parties (they aren't all devoid of innovation, they just happen to be very conservative and need a push sometimes) and having less buttons means 3rd parties will need to figure out WHY they assign buttons to actions in the first place. Sometimes it will be totally unnecessary given the capabilities of the remote. Buttons are like storage media and RAM-- developers will always complain there aren't enough.

If they pack-in the shell and have 3 control schemes, why even bother? They might as well just release a gyro-controlled wavebird, save themselves and 3rd parties the effort.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Pack in the wand & analog attachment with the system. Include a "shell extension" with the first batch of 1st gen games requiring it.

I doubt very many games are going to *require* a shell. I imagine most Revolution games will use the packed-in controller and extension. To me, it seems the shells are going to be more for playing GameCube games and virtual console titles.

This isn't anything more than speculation on my part, though. Based on the fact that developers are going to want to use the system's unique qualities, that they will want to make sure their games are compatible with the packed-in controller, and that Nintendo will only pack in the remote and nunchuck.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
NintendosBooger said:

Yeah, like the DS2? lolamirite.

Chrono

Banned
The shell could be very helpful if it contains extra buttons. Slide in the game remote and you get more buttons and get to use the shell (with remote inside) as a wand.

i find it hard that people here can't thing outside the box and are clamorying for the shell. hell the whole nunchuj set up can do everything a regular controller can and moore. it just has to be con fingured.

Now did anyone watch g4 tv today and see peter mon of lionheads, he had an interview with the G4 guys and he is excited about the ocntroller.

p.s also packing the shell with the console is a dumb idea for nintendo. it just shouws no confidence in their creation.

what the need to package the console withis 5 nes downloads. why? the controller can already play nes games . its that simple.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
JJConrad said:
I didn't like it. I can see why these guys are writers and not broadcasters. The "roundtable" wasn't very round. I think it would have been better had Mark (??? the guy that played it.) rehearsed what he was going to say, explained the demostration clearly and just cut the other people out altogether because they didn't add much. Remarks about a chin strap and sperm adoptors weren't necessary, or even very funny.

I was also have trouble streaming it, so that may have swayed my opinion.
Read this and then watch Mark do a lot better job.

Chrono

Banned
ThunderEmperor said:
i find it hard that people here can't thing outside the box and are clamorying for the shell. hell the whole nunchuj set up can do everything a regular controller can and moore. it just has to be con fingured.

Dual Shock 2 has 8 buttons + analog sticks can be used as ones too. Say you're playing a FPS ported from PS3. Wand replaces right stick, left analog on nuncheck replaces left stick and there's a dpad. Everything is fine except with buttons - you're left with 4 buttons (z1, z2, A, B) which is 4 less than the DS2. Maybe if Nintendo adds 2 it won't be such a big deal, but right now there's a huge difference.

Some poster said the controller itself is sensitive enough to be a button - like you can tap the right or left side and it registers that. Then again those won't feel the same way because they don't give you feedback like regular ones and you might accidentally press them when holding the controller.

----

Banned
NintendosBooger said:

Because of the analog stick & rumble pak. Duh! Sony took both ideas from Nintendo's N64 controller and improved on it and refined it into something that people liked a lot better. So what they're saying is that the same thing could happen with Revolution.

I think that the weird disconnected two hand setup of the Revolution controller is very inelegant. If I were to play a simple revolution game I think I would much rather just play with the remote itself. Certainly there is a lot of room there to tweak this design and not have a long wire hanging between two hands. Revolution controller seems like more of a prototype than a finished product at this point.

That's interesting that they brought up that bat for the Genesis, I had forgotten about that. I knew Sega had explored with this concept already, but I only had remembered the Activator.

gen_batterup.jpg

http://www.vidgame.net/SEGA/peripherals.htm

Really this is the Power Glove experiment all over again, but hopefully a lot more refined, responsive, and precise. Of all the crazy ideas of the past I can't wait for Nintendo or someone else to explore it has to be the Virtual Boy. That system was way ahead of it's time as they're now capable of pulling off those effects on a normal looking tv in full color without any goofy headgear or glasses. Of course a special LCD screen is required, but that would be fine for a portable device.

99nikniht

Dual Shock 2 has 8 buttons + analog sticks can be used as ones too. Say you're playing a FPS ported from PS3. Wand replaces right stick, left analog on nuncheck replaces left stick and there's a dpad. Everything is fine except with buttons - you're left with 4 buttons (z1, z2, A, B) which is 4 less than the DS2. Maybe if Nintendo adds 2 it won't be such a big deal, but right now there's a huge difference.
I think some of you people need to realize that with the nunchuk extension you can still use the directional pad for input just like Y,X,B,A, the only thing that is really lacking is a 2nd shoulder/trigger for the right hand. So technically the only thing missing is the the left hand d-pad and minus a shoulder for the right.

I think Simon Cox pretty much nailed it with his idea about Nintendo effectively setting this idea up for everyone else, but with Nintendo being still left in their increasingly niche place in the video game world.

The controller excites me for certain ideas I can clearly imagine that it will allow for and others that it will more or less enhance... Hopefully, it'll be more than a handful of Nintendo-produced titles and an even smaller number of third party titles that will make its potential seem satisfyingly fulfilled by the end of Revolution's lifetime. In any case, I just don't see this setting the world on fire until someone else does it...someone with a much greater amount of pull with the existing hardcore base.

Mojojo

MightyHedgehog said:
I think Simon Cox pretty much nailed it with his idea about Nintendo effectively setting this idea up for everyone else, but with Nintendo being still left in their increasingly niche place in the video game world.

The controller excites me for certain ideas I can clearly imagine that it will allow for and others that it will more or less enhance... Hopefully, it'll be more than a handful of Nintendo-produced titles and an even smaller number of third party titles that will make its potential seem satisfyingly fulfilled by the end of Revolution's lifetime. In any case, I just don't see this setting the world on fire until someone else does it...someone with a much greater amount of pull with the existing hardcore base.

But isnt Nintendo goal with the Revolution to get out of their niche status?
I have the feeling Nintendo isnt just changing its image hardware wise (getting rid of the 'toy -like' design) but will do too with its software. Revolution is the occasion to introduce brand new IPs and many will be rid of the colorful, mario-esque themes, that are the trademark of so (too?) many Nintendo games (though they might still have easter-egg like references to the Nintendo universe..).

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
i should say something relavent...but since im still messed up im just gonna say revolution ROCKS...and I would put my cock IN BETWEEN that one girls titties...go nintendo!

Mojojo said:
But isnt Nintendo goal with the Revolution to get out of their niche status?

Well, if that's the point of the hardware, I'm not seeing it. They seem to be trying to tap into new segments of potential gamers (non-gamers)...depending on your viewpoint, they're either looking outside of the usual pool of kickball players to add to their team or starting their own game of 'pretends' with a bunch of non-kickball players across the street. Make sense? :lol Seriously, though...Nintendo's at least looking more intriguing than they ever did with the GC. That's gotta be worth something for those that aren't the usual Nintendo die hards who'll buy it regardless of how poor it could be.

I have the feeling Nintendo isnt just changing its image hardware wise (getting rid of the 'toy -like' design) but will do too with its software. Revolution is the occasion to introduce brand new IPs and many will be rid of the colorful, mario-esque themes, that are the trademark of so (too?) many Nintendo games (though they might still have easter-egg like references to the Nintendo universe..).

Here, I disagree. Nintendo will still be the same as they've always been, aesthetically. They might, however, start things off a bit more balanced for the mainstream (gamers or not) by seeking out publishers and developers to add a bit more brown and grey to their lineup, letting everyone know that the platform will serve all kinds of tastes instead of just the McDonald's Playplace crowd.

Man, I am so fucking high right now.

Top Bottom