• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up.com Revolution editor roundtable discussion

Sapiens

1ups biggest downfall is that it doesnt have the backlog of reviews that Ign or gamespot does. Archived EGM and other sister publications reviews dont count.

Otherwise, I like the site and I like this roundtable stuff. Ive never seen John Davison on video before.

The site needs to have one page dedicated to linking to all editor blogs.

Zeo

Banned
1Up is pretty cool, that was a good discussion.

I do agree with the people who said the layout sucks though. At least it's not as ad-ridden as IGN, jesus christ.

Actually, just fix the screwed up DS thumbnails on the site, as they've been like that for a year, and I'll be happy. :]

ziran

1up's site is poor, i dislike going there.

so far, i think the revolution controller is amazing! no-one will be able to judge it properly until they play an actual revolution game. it's like seeing the dual shock for the first time, after reports of playing demos, and people trying to write it off as a gimmick. the person who actually used the controller gave it high praise, one guy didn't get it and the pink guy couldn't get passed nintendo's image, even though revolution looks hot, really HOT!

the problem i see with the negative reports about the controller is they're tinged with an attitude of not wanting nintendo to do well.

as i see it we have 2 parts of a 4 part puzzle. we have the design and controller and we've yet to see the graphical capabilities and the games. then, and only then, will criticisms carry any validity.

99nikniht said:
I think some of you people need to realize that with the nunchuk extension you can still use the directional pad for input just like Y,X,B,A, the only thing that is really lacking is a 2nd shoulder/trigger for the right hand. So technically the only thing missing is the the left hand d-pad and minus a shoulder for the right.
i agree.

ziran

another thing that amazes me is the revolution controller will make fps games on consoles so much more enjoyable. playing fps games on consoles, even with dual analogue and even when you're used to it, is still a pain and nowhere near as good as keyboard and mouse.

here, nintendo is delivering a control system that has the potential to better keyboard and mouse, which is huge!

i can't wait to play metroid prime 3! :D

_PsiFire_

When even the cynical guy says at the end that it's a great controller and he will be buying the revolution - you know it's good. :) He even said it looked cool and you wouldn't have to hide the controllers that looked like remotes..

The only complaint the cynical guy really had was that developers like EA wouldn't want to put any extra thought into moving existing games to the new controller... Didn't dev's at EA already say there were excited to think of new ways to play.. So even THAT isn't as bad as he says it is..

The other complaint was saying the guy looked stupid using the controller (with the fake remote)... I don't think that'll be a case when you just relax with your arms on your lap.

+Aliken+

Thumbs down to the two in the middle. If they just care about looks, image and if they look stupid playing with the Revo controller they're sad.

Why should I be ashamed of having a controller (any) next to my TV?

----

Banned
+Aliken+ said:
Thumbs down to the two in the middle. If they just care about looks, image and if they look stupid playing with the Revo controller they're sad.

Why should I be ashamed of having a controller (any) next to my TV?
Yeah but isn't that most people? I'm too embarassed to play around with EyeToy in stores. I've tried it a little bit and I felt too stupid to really get into it. Look at DDR it will never catch on in America like it did in Japan because most Americans are not willing to make fools of themselves in a public setting. That's why I think the design of this device may be too Japanese centric to really gain widespread acceptance here. If the majority of games made for the console are typical Gamecube/DS Nintendo games then I think that's not going to help anything with the older crowd (males 15-35) who are also probably the most self-conscious.

AniHawk

I don't see how people would look stupid unless they WERE wildly waving the controller around. If all you need to do is slightly point in one direction, then what's the problem there? It's not like Eyetoy where you HAVE TO wildly wave your arms around for it to work.

I understand what the guys in the middle are saying. It's their negative image (and everything leading up to it) that's really REALLY hurt Nintendo for the last couple generations, but this isn't a huge factor unless you're behaving like a spaz.

Top Bottom