• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure I've got all of 1up Yours, 1up FM (not EGM live), CGW/GFW/Lan Party, and Retronauts from the very beginning. I have no way of setting up a torrent, but if for some reason it comes down to it I can get the files to someone if needed. I don't think 1up.com is going to crash and burn overnight though, so I'm sure you'll still be able to go download them.

mosaic said:
Wow, GAF turned on Sam Kennedy. Never thought I'd see the day. Next thing you guys will turn on Jim.

Holy crap you've broken my sarcasm meter.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Well I have moved onto acceptance, good farewell to those who have been layed off. It has been a good time listening and reading from Egm to 1up yours I will miss you guys.

*Breaks of in tears.*

CartridgeBlower said:
UGO keeping Tina over Shane and Milkey just shows what type of corporation and website it is.

"First up, Tina -- well, she's a girl. And she's kind of cute by video game nerd standards. But she's kind of boring and a lot of people don't think she's that intersting. But she's kinda hot and we'll probably get our website some hits, so...keeper! Okay, next up is Shane -- He's very dedicated to game journalism. That's a plus. Not to mention a lot of people dig his opinions. Oh, and don't forget he's got a ton of experience...get him out of here!"

The only silver lining to this is that all those left behind will form their own giantbomb-like website. That would be epic and keep the culture/tradition of 1up/EGM alive. Please make it so.

Giant Bomb started with an investor. That's what needs to happen first, unfortunately.

Barrett2

Regulus Tera said:
Godfuckingdammit, I totally forgot Retronauts was theirs.

FUCK FUCK FUCK, that's about the only podcast I listen religiously.

Retronauts is something special, I have listened to every episode at least twice. :(

AFreak

Banned
So let me get this straight, they sold themselves off and then fired all the people that made the sit what it is??? I don't see the logic in that. Well, I guess Tina will be the new Jessica Chobot.

Zeliard

stewy said:
Last time I checked, the "dignity" you're talking about didn't pay all that well.

Seriously, man, what do you expect the guy to say?

Kennedy's wording is pretty poor. Saying that they kept most of the "all-star key members" is both a complete lie and a direct slap in the face to the fired employees, by insinuating that they somehow don't fall into that group.

Balb

Danne-Danger said:
Well thank fucking god for something then. Retronauts might pull through in some shape or form, please. :(

What's the point? Shane is gone, and we don't know about Ray or Sharkey.

I know most in this thread are concerned with recent EGM and their 1up site, and rightfully so, and I don't know if there were many long term members of EGM still with them from over the years but I hope the ones there land on their feet.

I don't come over here very often, as I've lost most of my interest in videogames nowadays. EGM though represented somewhat of a "golden age" of videogames, from their start up through the 16-bit wars, to the late 90's and the early era of the internet it was still very popular. I used to love to read issues of Nintendo Power, Gamepro, and EGM back in the day as the only source for videogame news.

Nothing like hulking 400 page issues (even if 25% of it were ads) to hype you up over the next game. I kind of think the videogame industry itself is just redundant nowadays, and EGM was lucky to have covered it at its apex, through the transition of powerful 16 bit games in the SNES vs. Genesis era, to the start of the 3D era. I miss that era a lot, maybe just nsotalgia, but there was nothing like seeing the next big new thing around that time and getting that issue in the store or from the mail to see what was going to happen next.

R.I.P. EGM.

mosaic said:
Wow, GAF turned on Sam Kennedy. Never thought I'd see the day. Next thing you guys will turn on Jim.
They already did when he got temporarily sacrificial lambed over Jeff Bell's trolling.

It's an uncomfortable feeling when the pink slips are being handed out en masse and you're one of the ones that doesn't get one. Probably even moreso when you're the boss-man and you're really good friends with all the workers.

Dark Knight

Neo Member
This truly fucking sucks. 1up is/was one of the best video game sites of there. My heart goes out to all those that got fired. I am deeply saddened that I was never able to make out to one of the big 1up meet-ups.

This is a quite a sad day.

minc

I've been skimming through all this and all I can say is thank you all for your support and passion... That, and give Sam a break. This wasn't his decision. I have no idea what UGOs plans are, but I can tell you that the people we're leaving behind are still the best of the best and as long as they are handled correctly by the new overlords they have an immense opportunity to do great things. Time will tell.

I meant it that we're not done. It was weird to be so active in the other podcasts, too, and then to have them all suddenly gone :(

Anyone know any good tax shelters?

stewy

Sage00 said:
Perhaps at the very least refuse to be the PR spin doctor. I'm sure the company would understand if he refused to go to an interview acting like it's the dawn of a summer day after so many of his co-workers, his friends just got layed off. It looks to the rest of the world like sucking up to the new management to try to work his way quickly to the top of their ladder.

You're sure they'd understand, eh? So in other words you don't have any idea what kind of position they may have put him in.

Zenith

Banned
Zeliard said:
Saying that they kept most of the "all-star key members" is both a complete lie and a direct slap in the face to the fired employees, by insinuating that they somehow don't fall into that group.

Precisely.

Segata Sanshiro said:
They already did when he got temporarily sacrificial lambed over Jeff Bell's trolling.

It's an uncomfortable feeling when the pink slips are being handed out en masse and you're one of the ones that doesn't get one. Probably even moreso when you're the boss-man and you're really good friends with all the workers.

Totally. I'm not ready to throw anyone under the bus at this point.

Fina1e

CartridgeBlower said:
UGO keeping Tina over Shane and Milkey just shows what type of corporation and website it is.

"First up, Tina -- well, she's a girl. And she's kind of cute by video game nerd standards. But she's kind of boring and a lot of people don't think she's that intersting. But she's kinda hot and will probably get our website some easy hits, so...keeper! Okay, next up is Shane -- very dedicated to game journalism. That's a plus. Not to mention a lot of people dig his opinions. Oh, and don't forget he's got a ton of experience, so...get him out!"

The only silver lining to this is that all those left behind will form their own giantbomb-like website. That would be epic and keep the culture/tradition of 1up/EGM alive. Please make it so.

Both Shane and Milkey work for EGM, and EGM was completely shut down. Tina worked for 1up the site in general. It's not like they kept Tina over them.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AFreak said:
So let me get this straight, they sold themselves off and then fired all the people that made the sit what it is??? I don't see the logic in that. Well, I guess Tina will be the new Jessica Chobot.

Welcome to the corporate world

Sage00

Once And Future Member
stewy said:
You're sure they'd understand, eh? So in other words you don't have any idea what kind of position they may have put him in.
So now you think they write what he says? Give the man a little more respect than that.

tanod

when is my burrito
meh said:
the thing with Kennedy is that it just seemed so "corporate positive". But really, what ELSE is he going to say? Stewy is right. It's an incredibly tough position to be in.

He could have just not said anything and it would have been a 100x better.

I'm sorry but 1UP, as we know it, was murdered and is now having its corpse mutilated.

Ecto311

Seems like everyone else has put in their 2 cents so here goes:

1up was awesome when I started listening to their podcasts and learning the personalities of the site. They are like the hand full of friends that I don't have in real life that are interested in games like I am. Sucks to see them go. I know theirs a lot of other podcasts and shit going on but none of them have the same appeal. Maybe Ill give them some time and see what happens. Maybe some of the people (most all of them) from the current 1up podcasts will move on to them.

I don't understand where UGO is thinking they are getting by doing this to the community. It sounds like they are asking for this 1up acquisition to be a failure for them. I would love to see/hear GAF get a podcast or show or something going. It would be like an open source game media outlet. By us for us and it works for other shit why not our media? Think the linux of media.

Slavik81

Wow. They pretty much just bought the name. Most of the little that remained of 1UP is gone. I knew that eventually they'd lose all those people, but I didn't quite expect it like this.

I guess that's it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
BenjaminBirdie said:
Giant Bomb started with an investor. That's what needs to happen first, unfortunately.
How does Giant Bomb stay alive anyway? I can't think of how it attains any revenue with no ads

They could have kept Shane and others if they wanted. They all fit under the same damn payroll most likely. UGO picked who they wanted, for whatever reasons.

minc said:
I've been skimming through all this and all I can say is thank you all for your support and passion... That, and give Sam a break. This wasn't his decision. I have no idea what UGOs plans are, but I can tell you that the people we're leaving behind are still the best of the best and as long as they are handled correctly by the new overlords they have an immense opportunity to do great things. Time will tell.

I meant it that we're not done. It was weird to be so active in the other podcasts, too, and then to have them all suddenly gone :(

Anyone know any good tax shelters?

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Magik

Come on guys, stop hating on Sam Kennedy.

You guys honestly think he enjoys talking like a corporate tool? He has no choice.

I bet you he's pretty damn upset right now considering how long he was with EGM/1up and considering how upset we are as fans, he must be really upset. Nobody likes to see good, close friends laided off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom