• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
:( I have only started listening to 1up Yours a few months and its my favorite podcast.

Scary what has happened across the gaming industry lately.

Wow. That sucks for them. I'll miss Shane's biased Sony ramblings the most.

Oh well. I've still got my Destructoid podcasts. *HITS GAF BEE HIVE WITH A STICK*

Calcaneus

Fina1e said:
Both Shane and Milkey work for EGM, and EGM was completely shut down. Tina worked for 1up the site in general. It's not like they kept Tina over them.
And you gotta remember, Tina was there to be a community manager. She eased into the podcast and a little writing because people really liked her on the boards.

Gotta say, she is really good at managing the community. Since she came along, a hell of a lot more things were organized to connect the editorial staff with the 1up users.

stewy

Sage00 said:
So now you think they write what he says? Give the man a little more respect than that.

Not at all.

And Sam is one of my oldest friends. I have nothing but respect for the guy.

It just bothers me that some folks here are so willing to jump all over him for putting on a happy face for his new employers.

minc said:
I've been skimming through all this and all I can say is thank you all for your support and passion... That, and give Sam a break. This wasn't his decision. I have no idea what UGOs plans are, but I can tell you that the people we're leaving behind are still the best of the best and as long as they are handled correctly by the new overlords they have an immense opportunity to do great things. Time will tell.

I meant it that we're not done. It was weird to be so active in the other podcasts, too, and then to have them all suddenly gone :(

Anyone know any good tax shelters?

Ireland.
I.e. come and live with me.

:-(

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I mean what the fuck is happening to real enthusiast gaming journalism these days, it's just going down the pan, it really is depressing.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
something stinks here....it just all seems so carefully premeditated. i'm sure it's only a matter of time before the real villains are ousted.

full disclosure is pretty much guaranteed after a massacre like this due the anonymity it grants to those directly affected.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
They already did when he got temporarily sacrificial lambed over Jeff Bell's trolling.

No one "turned on" Jim. My history with Jim goes back a long time, we like him and the users like him. NeoGAF just isn't Jim's site, and as a mod here he had (and has) guidelines to follow and consequences for mistakes. Cut the bullshit, thanks.

Acid08

Banned
Andrew Pfister
Philip Kollar
Nick Suttner
Shane Bettenhausen
Anthony Gallegos

All of you guys NEED to go to Giant Bomb. Make it the best video game website ever made. Shane please start up a new blog or something :(.

Linkzg said:
7ygqrl5.gif

Damn..That makes me want to fricken cry.
Show was a legacy I cant believe its over.
I cant believe I am this emotional over people
I have never met.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Sam isnt just pandering to new bosses GAF, he has to help steer the ship that is still 1up and still has a lot of great people on board - thats what leaders have to do. He's lost some people but you don't just abandon everyone else who are also walking into the unknown and have just had an awesome job turn into something strange and uncomfortable.

Best of luck to 1up staff past AND present.

I'd backup all the podcasts and video but it would genuinely hurt to listen/watch them again.

Banned
I can't beleive what it'd be like in there. All I know is that if I were in that situation, I wouldn't be staying behind. There'll be no good will towards 1up anymore, as the bulk of their audience is people who are active online in their gaming enjoyment, such as GAFfers, and we all know better now. Shane can be a douche, but SACKING him? These fucks can suck a fat dick. If people left gamespot over Gertsmann, shouldn't EVERYONE leave because of this?

Anyway, it gives room for all the 'good' parts of 1up, like the Show, Yours, LAN & FM to perhaps group together and make their own site. Well, i'd hope. Just call it the Up Yours network.

EviLore said:
No one "turned on" Jim. My history with Jim goes back a long time, we like him and the users like him. NeoGAF just isn't Jim's site, and as a mod here he had (and has) guidelines to follow and consequences for mistakes. Cut the bullshit, thanks.
I was talking about posters, not NeoGAF the entity. Sorry to have offended.

Barrett2

BenjaminBirdie said:
It's been quoted a few times here, but their mantra is "Less Is More". So probably not.

Giant Bomb should honestly hire Shane, though. GB is currently very 360-centric, and Shane could legitimately bring in a lot more PS3 owners.

Acid08 said:
All of you guys NEED to go to Giant Bomb. Make it the best video game website ever made.

Guys, seriously, it's so not that simple and seeing people continuously suggest it is just making me even more depressed.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Zeliard said:
Kennedy's wording is pretty poor. Saying that they kept most of the "all-star key members" is both a complete lie and a direct slap in the face to the fired employees, by insinuating that they somehow don't fall into that group.

What do you expect them to say? "We kept some key members and some lame people that don't make too much money"? They have to put their best face forward, deal with the initial negativity and then try to make it work before EVERYONE who came from 1up ends up out of work. I hope those that remain all the best as well as those who got laid off.

Come on guys, let's remember they still are a business and if 1up was doing fine, ZD wouldn't have sold it. That is the simple fact. As popular as the podcasts were, I have no idea why advertising on them was so minimal. Anwywho, ZD has been in trouble for awhile and I hate seeing this happen, but it is a fact of life these days. I am not going to call out anyone who was retained by Hearst. People gotta eat.

But Miekle's twitter along with Shawn's post makes it seem there was some dirty boxing taking place. It will be interesting to see what happens when the smoke clears.

NeoUltima

Man wtf would they be thinking to eliminate the best aspects of 1up, the reasons why people visit....Doesn't 1upYours have well over 100k listeners a week?
Excuse me while I go cry in a hole.

TheWolf

Banned
Giant Bomb has very little advertising and a maxed out editorial staff of 4. I think you guys are expecting way too much from them.

And the point of the site is to be more laid back and not have to hit EVERY PIECE OF NEWS....

I really hope the stories about what's actually going down (as hinted by Shawn and others) gets told. Even if it's fucked up, stuff needs to be said. I'm sure it will be, I guess it's just a matter of when.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
I was talking about posters, not NeoGAF the entity. Sorry to have offended.

The thread where Jim was temporarily demodded was overwhelming in its support of Jim.

TommyT

BruceLeeRoy said:
Damn..That makes me want to fricken cry.
Show was a legacy I cant believe its over.
I cant believe I am this emotional over people
I have never met.

Someone said it earlier in the thread:

"They were the best friends I've never met."

Nakazato

-_-... Bye Ryan thx man i wanted to see you own SF4 tonight

Edit:What did Shanes Facebook say ??

TommyT said:
Someone said it earlier in the thread:

"They were the best friends I've never met."
Yea Im almost in tears

Zen

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
UGO keeping Tina over Shane and Milkey just shows what type of corporation and website it is.

"First up, Tina -- well, she's a girl. And she's kind of cute by video game nerd standards. But she's kind of boring and a lot of people don't think she's that intersting. But she's kinda hot and will probably get our website some easy hits, so...keeper! Okay, next up is Shane -- very dedicated to game journalism. That's a plus. Not to mention a lot of people dig his opinions. Oh, and don't forget he's got a ton of experience, so...get him out!"

The only silver lining to this is that all those left behind will form their own giantbomb-like website. That would be epic and keep the culture/tradition of 1up/EGM alive. Please make it so.

There's like a 5% chance it went down like you just described, don't go hating Tina, who has done nothign wrong, because Shane likely got paid a lot more, and/or chose to walk away following the demise of EGM.

geminibros

Neo Member
You haters all ought to cut UGO some slack and actually read their games content before you bash it. The site has had an editorial focus for more than three years now, it's just been moved almost entirely to the blog: gamesblog.ugo.com

It is a bummer about EGM and the rumored layoffs. I still remember tearing open my newstands issues in the pre-Internet days and turning straight to the back for the latest cheat codes. To this day, I still open each new issue to the end first. Only now it's for Seanbaby. R.I.P. EGM and R.I.P. tech-based print journalism.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
stewy said:
Not at all.

And Sam is one of my oldest friends. I have nothing but respect for the guy.

It just bothers me that some folks here are so willing to jump all over him for putting on a happy face for his new employers.
We're all just a little agitated at the timing of the PR next to the announcement. I'm sure when Sam gets a chance to speak on here or otherwise he'll put us straight and everything will be fine.

But I can't change how I feel about. He could've refused, that option was always open, and I wanted him to take it because I like the guy. That's my opinion.. but it's not my job, I'm not in his position. I think it was a mistake on his part, and I hope he realizes what he's done. That's all I'm asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom