• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drinky Crow said:
UGO just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about online videogaming culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is at IGN where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over at 1UP, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the internet videogaming forum public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to use UGO for their news, nor will they listen to any of UGO's podcasts. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but UGO has alienated an entire market with this move.

UGO, publicly apologize and cancel all of these firings (or go ps3 exclusive) or you can kiss your business goodbye.
yep, it looks like anything can lose the funny if it's done often enough...

WaltJay

R Squared said:
With BenjaminBirdie's permission, in support of those that have been laid off I've "borrowed" his avatar. I've asked him how he'd feel about GAF making use of it and his general sentiment was "Go nuts."

j959h0.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/j959h0.jpg

I support this movement.

Sucks to see people lose their jobs, even more when you're a fan of their work. =/

Acid08

Banned
I guess there's no chance of a last 1up Yours with everyone just talking about their best memories or such. That would be perfect. Like a last GFW Radio but for every single 1up podcast.

Wow, looking at that list of people they axed, it's just about the entire damn site. Un-fuckin-believable for them to say they kept an 'all-star lineup.'

I like everyone they kept, but that isn't the 'all-star lineup' I would have put together from 1up.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
PTCoakley said:
What if some of the remaining guys/gals you like work at UGO? That's just stupid.
Agreed. Remembering 1up/EGM for what it was is great, attempting to shutter Garnett, Jeremy, etc etc who were part of what made 1up what it was is another thing all together and should not be encouraged at all.

I just want to give a shout out to all the 1UP.com sales people who also lost their jobs. My favorite sales rep lost her job today. She was great. RIP.

Oxymoron

Rlan said:
As jokey as this post is, it certainly didn't happen with GameSpot after the Gerstmann affair.
Before the Gerstmann thing, Gamespot was one of the "big three" sites for videogame news. I don't remember the last time I saw a thread about a GS article.

Blackface

Banned
All they have to do is all get Skype and sit down for an hour or so a week and record 1up yours (or whatever the name changes to) Lots of Podcasts are done like that.

Then just start a small blog site (about $90 a year), and host them. Put up adsense and make some side cash.

Barakov

Gold Member
Acid08 said:
I guess there's no chance of a last 1up Yours with everyone just talking about their best memories or such. That would be perfect. Like a last GFW Radio but for every single 1up podcast.

Skip said earlier in the thread that wouldn't be possible.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, I can't really say anything, but I'm from the "other" side of this merger... and I won't say anything other than, many people fought for 1up and if you should be mad at anyone... you should be mad at ZD's sales team.

TheWolf said:
Jeff always gave the impression that they didn't want a ton of ads on the site when people mentioned advertising.
Well that was part of what started the whole Kane/Lynch fiasco. I'm sure he wants to keep it tasteful.

Dark Knight

Neo Member
bitterazngurl said:
Corporations don't see personalities, they merely see positions. But there's no doubt in my mind that the people who were let go today will go on and strut their stuff in greener pastures. And the people who stayed will for sure use their talents to make 1UP succeed.

Well spoken Karen.

Barrett2

TheWolf said:
Jeff always gave the impression that they didn't want a ton of ads on the site when people mentioned advertising.

Giant Bomb has had some ads before; I am guessing they are still building their readership and putting together metrics to bring to advertisers? Talking out of my ass here, but thats what im' guessing.

Sage00 said:
I don't know man. This is, I think, the one time where that's inappropriate.

i am pretty sure all of the folks involved can feel grim on their own. hell, i feel bad for them, too. that said, do you really think that the fine folks who worked for egm and 1up are at the bars right now sobbing and wringing their hands, or are instead wryly mocking their misfortune and the corporate shenanigans that temporarily cost them their livelihood? my bet's on the latter. it's okay to laugh, too.

xintin

Oh jesus ;.;
This is absolutely terrible.

I've been rading EGm since I was a kid and listening to the 1upNetwork for a few years now.
Best of luck to those who (wrongly) got let go. Bounce back better than ever guys.

Sanjay

skip said:
the best way you guys can show support is by supporting the "indie" guys like GB. and our remaining friends at New 1UP.

So make sure to tune into Lan Party with Ryan, Tina and Alice :( just when Matt got his new PC too.

1up was the first podcast I ever listened to. This was like when Luke Smith left 1up yours, but time a million to the third power.

Why has god forsaken me.

Barrett2

El_TigroX said:
Hey guys, I can't really say anything, but I'm from the "other" side of this merger... and I won't say anything other than, many people fought for 1up and if you should be mad at anyone... you should be mad at ZD's sales team.

Interesting... thanks for the insight.

Enk

makes good threads.
Wow this really, really sucks. I've been reading EGM since the first issue and sadly watched that once fat mag get thinner and thinner until *poof* it's gone. What's just as saddening is loosing 1up Yours and Retronauts as I listened to those going back and forth from work nearly every day. I knew this was eventually coming but I didn't know it was going to go down this bad and sudden. Sorry for the losses guys. :-(

*pulls out random old EGM and scans pics in memoriam*

OldEgmt.gif

Acid08

Banned
Trax416 said:
All they have to do is all get Skype and sit down for an hour or so a week and record 1up yours (or whatever the name changes to) Lots of Podcasts are done like that.

Then just start a small blog site (about $90 a year), and host them. Put up adsense and make some side cash.
Kinda like what the Gamers With Jobs guys do.

Quazar

Drinky Crow said:
UGO just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about online videogaming culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is at IGN where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over at 1UP, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the internet videogaming forum public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to use UGO for their news, nor will they listen to any of UGO's podcasts. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but UGO has alienated an entire market with this move.

UGO, publicly apologize and cancel all of these firings (or go ps3 exclusive) or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Out of nowhere lol
<3 Drinky

Update: Joy stiq has obtained the full list of 1UP / EGM staffers laid off in the wake of the ZD/UGO deal:

Adrian Frieg
Amy Mishra
Amy Moran
Andrea Garcia
Andrew Fitch
Andrew "Skip" Pfister
Anthony Gallegos
Cesar Quintero
Christina Rosa
CoyLou Steel
Derek Chinn
Doug Parsons
Eric Ellis
Giancarlo Varanini
Greg Ford
James "Milkman" Mielke
Jason Bertrand
Jason Wilson
Jervilyn Jaramillo
Justin Frechette
Leslie Gelfand
Marci Yamaguchi
Matt Chandronait
May Tong
Meredith Stowe
Michael Donahoe
Monique Convertito
Ndubuisi Madu
Nick Suttner
Norris Boothe
Philip Kollar
Rey Serrano
Robert Bowen
Rosemary Pinkham
Ryan O'Donnell
Ryan Scott
Shane Bettenhausen
Simon Cox
Tammy Ross
Tipler Ubbelohde

(If I'm banned for mentioning JStiq then so be it)

To be honest i do kind of feel bad for not buying EGM or GFW mags now. I do have the last issue of GFW lying around, and i guess now i have to get EGM just to have something to remember them buy. Most of my exposure to the great people of 1up was from the podcasts. It really was something that i would look forward to every week.

Its a shame that this is the reason i finally decide to get an avatar.

The first issue of EGM I got was the Zelda: OoT cover with the MGS review inside. Gaming was never the same for me afterwards. Sad day.

El_TigroX said:
I don't doubt that there are good people at UGO. But corporate on both sides has a lot of blame on their shoulders.

CartridgeBlower said:
UGO keeping Tina over Shane and Milkey just shows what type of corporation and website it is.
Don't be so stupid. I doubt she get's paid half of what they get paid.

Most importantly, she's 1up's community manager, a role that will still be needed after the restructuring. Senior magazine editors aren't. The hate against here (and every female in any 1up thread I hate myself for clicking) is ridiculous.

plake

This is so sad, it seems 2009 will suck. Big time. I just hope we'll be able to get something similar to 1UP Yours in the future, although I find it hard to believe myself right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom