• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkener2

R Squared said:
With BenjaminBirdie's permission, in support of those that have been laid off I've "borrowed" his avatar. I've asked him how he'd feel about GAF making use of it and his general sentiment was "Go nuts."

j959h0.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/j959h0.jpg
I will join the club too... I will miss 1up yours and Shane... :(

kaskade

This is fucking terrible. They just stripped a huge amount of jobs away and a huge part of 1up. I can't believe this, I first thought ok it's inevitable that EGM is going away but I didn't think they would tear 1up apart. I most of all can't believe 1up yours and the show is gone. I always looked forward to them every week. This really sucks.

Dragnet

All those who have been laid off need to band together whatever money they can and get whatever financial help they can to start something new and fresh like Giant Bomb. It can't be said enough. I think Giant Bomb is a natural evolution of the new ways 1up took gaming culture and discussion, it makes sense for the founders of such a movement to continue to do it and now with more freedom, do it their way.

Best of luck to everyone, I'll miss you all! Damn, I haven't even finished the 2nd Holiday 1up Yours...now I'm gonna tear up when it ends :(

Nick, Shane, Mielke and the rest of the crew, I salute you.

snakeproper.png

dexterslu

It'll be interesting to see how their traffic changes..here's hoping everyone lands on their feet.

1up and it's alumni have forever changed my perception of what games are and can be.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The Stiq Of Joy has a complete list of who was fired/laid off/left on their own accord.

Adrian Frieg
Amy Mishra
Amy Moran
Andrea Garcia
Andrew Fitch
Andrew "Skip" Pfister
Anthony Gallegos
Cesar Quintero
Christina Rosa
CoyLou Steel
Derek Chinn
Doug Parsons
Eric Ellis
Giancarlo Varanini
Greg Ford
James "Milkman" Mielke
Jason Bertrand
Jason Wilson
Jervilyn Jaramillo
Justin Frechette
Leslie Gelfand
Marci Yamaguchi
Matt Chandronait
May Tong
Meredith Stowe
Michael Donahoe
Monique Convertito
Ndubuisi Madu
Nick Suttner
Norris Boothe
Philip Kollar
Rey Serrano
Robert Bowen
Rosemary Pinkham
Ryan O'Donnell
Ryan Scott
Shane Bettenhausen
Simon Cox
Tammy Ross
Tipler Ubbelohde

01/06/09 NEVER FORGET.

Rlan

It's a pretty suspect selection of cuts. Ryan Scott and Nick Suttner, both the review editors for 1UP, were culled. But Justin Haywald, the Reviews Assistant, was not?

Banned
Andrew "Skip" Pfister
Matt Chandronait
Ryan O'Donnell
Jay Fresh
Cesar Quintero

Philip Kollar
Nick Suttner
Anthony Gallegos
And Shane Fucking Bettenhausen!
James "Milkman" Mielke

Greg Ford
Giancarlo Varanini
Michael Donahoe
Andrew Fitch
Jason Wilson
Justin Haywald
Michael Grimm

Ok, now go make a site you unemployed fucks!

Guled

Zeouterlimits said:
Update: Joy stiq has obtained the full list of 1UP / EGM staffers laid off in the wake of the ZD/UGO deal:

Adrian Frieg
Amy Mishra
Amy Moran
Andrea Garcia
Andrew Fitch
Andrew "Skip" Pfister
Anthony Gallegos
Cesar Quintero
Christina Rosa
CoyLou Steel
Derek Chinn
Doug Parsons
Eric Ellis
Giancarlo Varanini
Greg Ford
James "Milkman" Mielke
Jason Bertrand
Jason Wilson
Jervilyn Jaramillo
Justin Frechette
Leslie Gelfand
Marci Yamaguchi
Matt Chandronait
May Tong
Meredith Stowe
Michael Donahoe
Monique Convertito
Ndubuisi Madu
Nick Suttner
Norris Boothe
Philip Kollar
Rey Serrano
Robert Bowen
Rosemary Pinkham
Ryan O'Donnell
Ryan Scott
Shane Bettenhausen
Simon Cox
Tammy Ross
Tipler Ubbelohde

(If I'm banned for mentioning JStiq then so be it)
so, are they only 5-7 guys left now

Ristamar

Best of luck to all those still pushing forward with 1UP, and especially to those that were let go. You guys are the cream of the crop.

pr0cs

Shame really.. I was a fan after their special coverage of XBOX Zero Hour event.
I wasn't a fan of the 1up site but thought the 1UP show and 1UP yours were great productions. They didn't feel the same after Jane, Che et al started leaving though.

As a gamer for more than 18 years, no magazine got what a videogame enthusiast really was except for EGM. This is truly a sad day and my heart goes to all of you at 1up. I grew up with this group of people and they made me feel like there was someone that could understand this passion for videogames. I wont turn into Mr. Creepy fascination with Ziff davis but i really need to say how sad I am. You were a important part of my day. My escapism will never be the same. Those podcast that brighten my day wont relax me with their mix of expertize, blabbery and alcohol. Well, it was fucking fun. Hope you get some kick ass jobs like Shawn and Jeff. UGO or whatever company fired you can burn in hell. They will understand later how big of a douches they are when they realize what they've lost.

Godspeed 1up ex-staffers, You are the best friend we have never met.

I just wanted to thank all the EGM/1Up folks past, and present for a tremendous run of some of the best gaming content on the planet. The very best of luck to all of you, and thanks again.

Defuser

Whats the use of Garnett staying in 1up if his own fucking show is cancelled? Please Garnet,quit 1up and start a new website.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zeouterlimits said:
Update: Joy stiq has obtained the full list of 1UP / EGM staffers laid off in the wake of the ZD/UGO deal:

Adrian Frieg
Amy Mishra
Amy Moran
Andrea Garcia
Andrew Fitch
Andrew "Skip" Pfister
Anthony Gallegos
Cesar Quintero
Christina Rosa
CoyLou Steel
Derek Chinn
Doug Parsons
Eric Ellis
Giancarlo Varanini
Greg Ford
James "Milkman" Mielke
Jason Bertrand
Jason Wilson
Jervilyn Jaramillo
Justin Frechette
Leslie Gelfand
Marci Yamaguchi
Matt Chandronait
May Tong
Meredith Stowe
Michael Donahoe
Monique Convertito
Ndubuisi Madu
Nick Suttner
Norris Boothe
Philip Kollar
Rey Serrano
Robert Bowen
Rosemary Pinkham
Ryan O'Donnell
Ryan Scott
Shane Bettenhausen
Simon Cox
Tammy Ross
Tipler Ubbelohde

Fuck.

FUCK.

clashfan

I come to gaf to get away from the realities of the real world but lately the threads titles on gaf has been reflecting the real world way too much. This news about 1up is very sad...

Zen

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:

Adrian Frieg
Amy Mishra
Amy Moran
Andrea Garcia
Andrew Fitch
Andrew "Skip" Pfister
Anthony Gallegos
Cesar Quintero
Christina Rosa
CoyLou Steel
Derek Chinn
Doug Parsons
Eric Ellis
Giancarlo Varanini
Greg Ford
James "Milkman" Mielke
Jason Bertrand
Jason Wilson
Jervilyn Jaramillo
Justin Frechette
Leslie Gelfand
Marci Yamaguchi
Matt Chandronait
May Tong
Meredith Stowe
Michael Donahoe
Monique Convertito
Ndubuisi Madu
Nick Suttner
Norris Boothe
Philip Kollar
Rey Serrano
Robert Bowen
Rosemary Pinkham
Ryan O'Donnell
Ryan Scott
Shane Bettenhausen
Simon Cox
Tammy Ross
Tipler Ubbelohde

Good luck guys, we'll miss you so fucking much. Thanks for your great work over the years.

Confirmed to be Staying
Garnett Lee
Tina Sanchez
David Ellis
Matt Leone
Jeremy Parish
Sam Kennedy

Thanks for your great work over the years, Good luck, I hope things work out.

big%20boss%20salute.JPG

El_TigroX said:
Hey guys, I can't really say anything, but I'm from the "other" side of this merger... and I won't say anything other than, many people fought for 1up and if you should be mad at anyone... you should be mad at ZD's sales team.

That's really funny that you should say that, considering the names on that list of people who were cut... and how people high up on the sales team are on the list. Way to shift the blame.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Cohsae said:
Simon Cox!? Wasn't he like very high on the totem pole?
It happens in a takeover. The senior staff in the outfit being bought are layed off, the buying side's senior staff stay(they are the ones who're buying, they have more money, they must be better, etc..). More junior staff make the transition and mix in because quite honestly they're a lot cheaper to pay.

sublime085 said:
I thought the same thing.

This is crazy. Really unfortunate.
Thirded. And now I'm thinking back to Shawn saying something along the lines of 'It's worse than you know.'

How bad could it possibly be? I shudder.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Simon Cox!? Wasn't he like very high on the totem pole?

edit: beaten by a fair bit, damn slow connection

DarkJC

Rlan said:
It's a pretty suspect selection of cuts. Ryan Scott and Nick Suttner, both the review editors for 1UP, were culled. But Justin Haywald, the Reviews Assistant, was not?

In the end it all comes down to salary.

LCfiner

Zeouterlimits said:

Adrian Frieg
Amy Mishra
Amy Moran
Andrea Garcia
Andrew Fitch
Andrew "Skip" Pfister
Anthony Gallegos
Cesar Quintero
Christina Rosa
CoyLou Steel
Derek Chinn
Doug Parsons
Eric Ellis
Giancarlo Varanini
Greg Ford
James "Milkman" Mielke
Jason Bertrand
Jason Wilson
Jervilyn Jaramillo
Justin Frechette
Leslie Gelfand
Marci Yamaguchi
Matt Chandronait
May Tong
Meredith Stowe
Michael Donahoe
Monique Convertito
Ndubuisi Madu
Nick Suttner
Norris Boothe
Philip Kollar
Rey Serrano
Robert Bowen
Rosemary Pinkham
Ryan O'Donnell
Ryan Scott
Shane Bettenhausen
Simon Cox
Tammy Ross
Tipler Ubbelohde

jesus.

looks like all editorial higher ups were let go. meaning that UGO would keep direction of editorial on the new site.

meaning whomever is left from 1up would essentially be doing things the way UGO wants them done.

a goddamn slaughter, this was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom