• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up Yours today?

JB1981

John's right about Lost Planet being frustrating and punitive, but I like how nonchalant they are about not playing the game onilne. Post Grab is a great game of MP. I think the multiplayer is a great change of pace.

LJ11

Garnett XBOX 720 2008 confirmed. :lol

I'll never buy another console from MS if they pull that shit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
LJ11 said:
Garnett XBOX 720 2008 confirmed. :lol

I'll never buy another console from MS if they pull that shit.

Holy shit, if that happens...

Garnett is just TOTALLY wrong. MS wants to win, but stabbing the customer in the back that way does not ****ing work.

LJ11

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Holy shit, if that happens...

Garnett is just TOTALLY wrong. MS wants to win, but stabbing the customer in the back that way does not ****ing work.

Exactly. MS doesn't want to commit corporate suicide.

Shane and Luke made the most sense during that entire segment. But Shane is biased, what does he know?

Wollan

I was kinda shocked when they said the PS2's long life length would hurt (I even think I heard obliterate) the PS3s success. If anything, it will help the PS3 mature and go down in price in time. If the PS2 'ended' this year, the situation would be even worse for PS3 and it's high price.

Oh shit, Garnett just dropped his 2008 Xbox 3 theory. wow.

Y2Kev

This tech discussion around 1:05 is crazy. John just totally dropped out.

Luke is practically out of breath.

My dorm room has a 32" HD LCD :lol

Y2Kev

See, here I think Shane is being MOST fanboyish...but Luke is siding with him!!!

MY BRAIN IS SHUTTING DOWN

edit "Wii is future proof for 1996" :lol :lol :lol

AND NOT GARNETT AGREES OMGGG

Gamer's Day in April? Hmm.

LJ11

Y2Kevbug11 said:
See, here I think Shane is being MOST fanboyish...but Luke is siding with him!!!

I agree, everything kind of fell apart near the end. It started off great, but went downhill towards the end.

Mrbob

Wollan said:
I was kinda shocked when they said the PS2's long life length would hurt (I even think I heard obliterate) the PS3s success. If anything, it will help the PS3 mature and go down in price in time. If the PS2 'ended' this year, the situation would be even worse for PS3 and it's high price.

Oh shit, Garnett just dropped his 2008 Xbox 3 theory. wow.

Well did the long life of the NES help the SNES?

Long life of a console helps, as long as you don't fall too far behind in the next generation of systems.

If Xbox 3 is out in 2008 I'm quitting console gaming.

Y2Kev

Did Garnett just call Vagrant Story "Vanguard Story"?

Holy shit Garnett. Holy shit.

You're on notice.

Kittonwy

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:

You're on notice.

I don't think he's very knowledge at all on console games that aren't on the xbox.

Wollan

Mrbob said:
Well did the long life of the NES help the SNES?

Long life of a console helps, as long as you don't fall too far behind in the next generation of systems.

Stuff you buy on your PS2 isn't obsolete though when you decide to move over to the PS3. You can still use all your PS1/2 material as well as DVD movies bought in the last 10+ years on your PS3.

The PS2 99$ bomb coming this September (it will) is going to be insane.

Haunted

This 1up Yours is ****ing legendary. I have never laughed so hard while listening to a podcast before. That + the 1up season premiere - this day has made me a 1up fanboy.

LukeSmith

Haunted_One said:
This 1up Yours is ****ing legendary. I have never laughed so hard while listening to a podcast before. That + the 1up season premiere - this day has made me a 1up fanboy.

We unanimously finished the show feeling like it was our best show to date. I'm really glad you dug it.

LJ11

Really funny episode, some good discussions as well. Square-Enix is loving the portables according to Shane. Looking forward to seeing what they have in store. Einhander 2 on the PSP, one can only hope.

Wollan

LukeSmith said:
We unanimously finished the show feeling like it was our best show to date. I'm really glad you dug it.

I must say it was totally intense all the way through. Always someone talking, sometimes everyone, totally into the discussion.
I think I have to agree about it being the best show yet.

Haunted_One said:

Too much techtalk, not enough LOLin'. Still good though.

Blazyr

Y2Kevbug11 said:

You're on notice.

Easy there, I have a mint Vagrant Story and it's one of my all time favorite games. If I said Vanguard it was a combo of the alcohol and that Sharkey sits outside my office, has been playing Vanguard, and hasn't been exactly what you'd called thrilled by it.

Y2Kev

Blazyr said:
Easy there, I have a mint Vagrant Story and it's one of my all time favorite games. If I said Vanguard it was a combo of the alcohol and that Sharkey sits outside my office, has been playing Vanguard, and hasn't been exactly what you'd called thrilled by it.

Just playing with you. ;)

VS is one of my most favoritist favorite games.

Owzers

" That is the dumbest thing you've ever said" did a good job summing up my thoughts on Shane's comment during the PS2-PS3 segment. :lol I really like this segment though. Thank you John for calling out the 1080p standard crap. Almost everyone I know doesn't even have a HDTV let alone 1080p and almost NONE of them are thinking of upgrading.

Dante

sillymonkey321 said:
" That is the dumbest thing you've ever said" did a good job summing up my thoughts on Shane's comment during the PS2-PS3 segment. :lol I really like this segment though. Thank you John for calling out the 1080p standard crap. Almost everyone I know doesn't even have a HDTV let alone 1080p and almost NONE of them are thinking of upgrading.

Yeah but a LOT of people still don't have HDTV's and a LOT of them will be getting 1080p sets sincce their are now plenty of choices and prices are coming down.

squicken

I'm not sure I want the XBOX 720 in 2008, but I definitely want it by fall 2009. To those that complain, let them eat cake.

/stands up and applauds.

Bravo...bravo! That was the best frickin show 1UP has ever done. I was in tears I laughed so hard. Even Shane was on good behavior.

As far as systems being built to last the next 10 yrs, ps3 has the blu-ray disc and nothing more when compared to 360..the component input isnt going anywhere soon on tvs. Also, will we even buy games on a disc 10 yrs from now? You should have thought of that one, Scoot. I think we will move to dling or games faster than people think. Kind of how guild wars did it. Never even felt like huge d/l as it did it in the background.

awesome show though. Cant wait till next week.

squicken said:
I'm not sure I want the XBOX 720 in 2008, but I definitely want it by fall 2009. To those that complain, let them eat cake.

in fairness, he said "announcement" and not actual release. Then again, I still don't think they'd actually announce it. You'll start hearing rumors and vague references to it, sure, but that's with every console.

Wollan

mylilbuddy said:
As far as systems being built to last the next 10 yrs, ps3 has the blu-ray disc and nothing more when compared to 360..the component input isnt going anywhere soon on tvs.

Being future proof is having stuff that doesn't necessarily mean too much today but that will eventually last. Blu-ray as you said but the HDMI (as you hinted too) is another future proofing alongside having a standard HDD. 1080p and Bluetooth 2.0 as well is a very nice standards to have. I would even say that features like that is much more important than 50% more power or whatever. As Shane said in the show (and being right in this case), the Xbox 3 will become a 'PS3'. And with the graphical saturation point being closed in on in this gen, launching the Xbox 3 will be very hard for MS.

Best episode ever! the way it goes from the jokes in the first part to serous discussion in the second and back to the laughs in the third, it just flowed. So much so that it could have been scripted; it was that great.

keep them longer, because it seems to give you guys enough time to get all the shakes out on each topic.

Also what was up with that Retro making game not for Nintendo at the end?! 0_0

Dante

WTF, nobody pissed me off this show, they had some of their best debates yet, and a lot of great points.

Top Bottom