• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up Yours today?

Wollan said:
Diminishing returns is in effect and it will worsen. And beyond (not too noticeable) power and their exclusive games, there will be most likely nothing else to lure consumers in at that point. In 2010/11 the PS3 will be on top of it's game.

I think that by 2010 PC games will blow 360/PS3 games out of the water and that it won't even be close. We've heard this diminishing returns argument before.

Odysseus

Banned
Stopsign said:
I really doubt Retro is doing anything for any other system. Retro is completely owned by Nintendo, the only other thing I could think of is that maybe they would do it for the PC or something.

theoretically nintendo could sell them... after all, they sold their ~50% stake in rare, and that was unthinkable not long before it happened.

that being said, i think they've been fed some bad information.

Wollan

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I think that by 2010 PC games will blow 360/PS3 games out of the water and that it won't even be close. We've heard this diminishing returns argument before.

Yes and no. Resolutions won't go past 1080p for next gen (despite K.Kuturagis obscure powerpoint pics a year or two back). Animation will probably reach as high as people can wish for in this gen. I'm expecting textures to 'perfected' on the Xbox 3 and beyond with some insane post-processing effects but overall I think games will most likely move/behave pretty much like they have had earlier (on PS3 and so) with the same resolution (though 1080p standard across the line).

Odysseus said:
theoretically nintendo could sell them... after all, they sold their ~50% stake in rare, and that was unthinkable not long before it happened.

that being said, i think they've been fed some bad information.

Well, Retro is currently stuck as the Metroid developer, and we've also heard stories about how they've had problems working together with Miyamoto & co.. If a bunch of key employees left and started their own thing it wouldn't really surprise me.

Wollan said:
Yes and no. Resolutions won't go past 1080p for next gen. Animation will probably reach as high as people can wish for in this gen. I'm expecting textures to 'perfected' on the Xbox 3 and beyond with some insane post-processing effects but overall I think games will most likely move/behave pretty much like they have had earlier (on PS3 and so) with the same resolution (though 1080p standard across the line).

I pretty much agree.

At this stage in the game it's pretty easy to see how things could improve with better hardware (more RAM, especially) but these systems are still in their infancy and developers will learn a lot in the coming years, so things will improve a lot when these systems start entering into their prime. NTSC lasted for well over 50 years (and counting) and ATSC is still relatively new, so yea, 1080p will be the max resolution supported for many generations to come.

I still think that more powerful machines will be needed though, and it's naive to think that we'll reach a point where better machines won't be necessary. As much as people like to put the focus on all this power going into graphics, it's really not. Things like physics and procedural technologies will have a major impact on gaming (think sports) and better AI is something everything could use, and all that requires a fair amount of processing power to pull off well.

Odysseus

Banned
Zerodoppler said:
Well, Retro is currently stuck as the Metroid developer, and we've also heard stories about how they've had problems working together with Miyamoto & co.. If a bunch of key employees left and started their own thing it wouldn't really surprise me.

that would be the only way i'd see nintendo selling retro... if they were all just going to walk anyway, might as well just get some money out of the studio.

still.... i'll need to see smoke before i think there's fire.

Elhandro

LTTP: I cant believe we let this thread die. By Far 1up yours best podcast, I loved every sec of it. And Although I dont agree with everything they say, I love how all the topics are relevant, everyones on pt., and there is real debate going on here.....no PR crap. Can't wait till next week.

I agree the best podcast was the poolside one at E3 and that the show really came into its own at E3 with the daily podcasts.

As for the PS2 discussion, I think it's following a similar path to PS1, Sony will support it for this year with some major titles and then by the end of the year into next, few major titles will show up. The hardware sales will be strong through this year and maybe next because as they noted it's cheap, and it's a good console for casuals/kids. But I think software sales will significantly slow by the end of this year.

Are people actually seriously discussing the Retro "rumor"? IIRC Garnett or Shane or whoever said it in the podcast followed it by essentially admitting it was just something to get Nintendo fans talking.

i don't know about announcing it in 2008, but lets say microsoft do a 4 or 5 year cycle on the 360 and put out the new one in 2009 or 2010... that would really be a big blow to sony if the console was right. if sony had their way, ie no external pressures, i think they'd want the ps4 out no sooner than 2012.

the ps3 is certainly sony playing a 'long game'. with it's price and it's features, it's a bet for the future, but microsoft could be playing a long game in a different fashion.

i don't know how i'd feel about 2009, but 2010 definately wouldn't be too soon for a new xbox.

plagiarize said:
i don't know how i'd feel about 2009, but 2010 definately wouldn't be too soon for a new xbox.
I agree, I think fall 2010 would be fine, albeit I would hope MS wouldn't completely abandon 360 ala Xbox. What position that would put Sony in really depends on how PS3 does until that point, if it's successful, I don't think it matters. If it struggles, they would be in trouble and have a tough decision on where to go next.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I wonder how the next Xbox will play out as far as supporting the 360 seeing has how AMD bought out ATI :lol. I wonder if "paths" will divert from a single GPU by itself instead of being tied to a CPU.

The next console will probably have an AMD processor I would think. The system would probably have to be made with PowerPC in mind, if this turns out to be the case.

I assume (hope) with MS' next system, there will be more of an emphasis on backwards compatibility, hardware and software wise. I could understand not focusing on it with the 360, but they've now designed the 360 in a much "smarter" fashion than the Xbox, so it should be more of a priority.

The cynical side of me says they'll want to make money on brand new accessories, but it'd be nice if it still had USB, the same 2.4GHz wireless protocol they use for the current controllers and headsets, same memory card ports (in addition to industry standard memory cards), etc.

Basically, copy Sony in that regard, lol

KINGMOKU

Good god, this is the first 1up podcast I've took the time to listen to, and its horrible.

The content is meh, and technicaly it's horrid. No one there has a "radio" voice, no one understand how to perform on an audio track, they have zero clue how to bounce off each other, tons of pops, ugh.

So much inane crap as well.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
gutter_trash said:
they do talk about the DS more ofthen then the PSP.

The Wii launch games have been talked about in the last two months, but there are no new games now, not much news

Notice that when they talk about the PS3, they don't talk about games at all. They talk about market share.

I think he's talking about the current gen discussion totally disregarding the Wii. While I think their arguments are valid, I really don't think the PS2 will have the primary role they think it will, not this late in the cycle. They talk too much about things that are probably not gonna be vital to this next cycle, like the third party games on PS2/PSP/Wii, I don't think those games will really matter, besides being incremental to the library. I really think it's gonna be decided by first party this time around.

farnham

Banned
My impression of the podcast

1. Very interesting discussion about the PS2 still selling well.. I agree with garnett here.. the buyers of PS2 right now cant be considered loyal sony fans.. they are casual gamers that just get the console with the most games and the cheapest price. they do not care about graphics and it seems like those gamers will buy their next console in probably about 5 years.. (The PS2 will provide them with enough games till that time.. with the current library available)
they will flock to the console that wins the market then..

2. Luke Smith and his retro studio is bull**.. Retro is fully owned by Nintendo unlike Rare and Silicon Knights.. If Nintendo sells them thats a different story..

3. Did not understand a word with the gabe newell comment.. Also i did not understand how they laughed at the notion of Wii Counterstrike and then laughed at Gabe Newell for bashing the PS3 and praising the Wii... The Source Engine works on Xbox so why not on the Wii..? Very very confusing segment..

4. Shane Bettenhausen is such a fanboy.. i cant believe how Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy II on the PSP is anything big on the PSP.. its simply a enhanced port of a NES, PSone, GBA game.. nothing to be hyped about... and im sick of his.. "there will be a brandnew IP that will be unveiled soon. I know about it" crap.. where was that brand new PSP game that he saw.. i thought it will be on this weeks 1up show.. didnt see it..

MrDaravon

farnham said:
4. Shane Bettenhausen is such a fanboy.. i cant believe how Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy II on the PSP is anything big on the PSP.. its simply a enhanced port of a NES, PSone, GBA game.. nothing to be hyped about... and im sick of his.. "there will be a brandnew IP that will be unveiled soon. I know about it" crap.. where was that brand new PSP game that he saw.. i thought it will be on this weeks 1up show.. didnt see it..

They said in the 1up show in two weeks.

Zen

Banned
farnham said:

Just to add to what SailorDaravon said, Shane specifically said that there was more from Square Enix that they had yet to reveal, and that 1 thing woiuld be something no one would guess.

Rushmore

moku said:
Good god, this is the first 1up podcast I've took the time to listen to, and its horrible.

The content is meh, and technicaly it's horrid. No one there has a "radio" voice, no one understand how to perform on an audio track, they have zero clue how to bounce off each other, tons of pops, ugh.

I had no idea it was possible to "graphics whore" a podcast. Most impressive.

KINGMOKU

Rushmore said:
I had no idea it was possible to "graphics whore" a podcast. Most impressive.
I'm just a nitpick though. It's what I went to school for originaly, so to me it's the absolute bottom of the barrel "radio".

Just god-awfull.

Just some basic radio classes could benifit these guys greatly, along with proper pronounciation classes.

The whole thing sounds like it's done by someone in thier garage with 20$ mics from Radioshack.

Bah, I am just a technical whore when it comes to radio/TV/Film. Cant help it, becuase once you learn it, you jusge everything on technicall, and artisitc merit, without even realizing it.

The content is secondary.

moku said:
I'm just a nitpick though. It's what I went to school for originaly, so to me it's the absolute bottom of the barrel "radio".

Just god-awfull.

Just some basic radio classes could benifit these guys greatly, along with proper pronounciation classes.

The whole thing sounds like it's done by someone in thier garage with 20$ mics from Radioshack.

Bah, I am just a technical whore when it comes to radio/TV/Film. Cant help it, becuase once you learn it, you jusge everything on technicall, and artisitc merit, without even realizing it.

The content is secondary.
This misses the whole point of why the show is so great.

I understand what you're saying and can agree, but none of it is applicable to or required in a free Internet podcast by a bunch of guys sitting around and talking games.

farnham said:
My impression of the podcast

1. Very interesting discussion about the PS2 still selling well.. I agree with garnett here.. the buyers of PS2 right now cant be considered loyal sony fans.. they are casual gamers that just get the console with the most games and the cheapest price. they do not care about graphics and it seems like those gamers will buy their next console in probably about 5 years.. (The PS2 will provide them with enough games till that time.. with the current library available)
they will flock to the console that wins the market then..

2. Luke Smith and his retro studio is bull**.. Retro is fully owned by Nintendo unlike Rare and Silicon Knights.. If Nintendo sells them thats a different story..

3. Did not understand a word with the gabe newell comment.. Also i did not understand how they laughed at the notion of Wii Counterstrike and then laughed at Gabe Newell for bashing the PS3 and praising the Wii... The Source Engine works on Xbox so why not on the Wii..? Very very confusing segment..

Did you play Half-Life 2 on Xbox?
If so, I think you should know why CSS on Wii is just silly.

KINGMOKU

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
This misses the whole point of why the show is so great.

I understand what you're saying and can agree, but none of it is applicable to or required in a free Internet podcast by a bunch of guys sitting around and talking games.
Like I said though, it's habit. It's really hard fro me to sit thru any kind of broadcast/film without picking it apart mercilessly.

Once you know how everything is done, it's not so special, and you tend to lean twords the technical side of things.

:( It's hard to really enjoy anything anymore. It's probably why I enjoy videogames so much, or older films that exceeded thier technical limits in special effects(Blade runner is still amazing to me after all these years, and impresses even more now, and as the years pass) for the time.

I know its free, and I know the point is to sound cozy, but the whole damn thing is so unprofessional it disgust's me.

Like I said though, i'm just nit-picking.

Rushmore

moku said:
Like I said though, it's habit. It's really hard fro me to sit thru any kind of broadcast/film without picking it apart mercilessly.

Once you know how everything is done, it's not so special, and you tend to lean twords the technical side of things.

:( It's hard to really enjoy anything anymore. It's probably why I enjoy videogames so much, or older films that exceeded thier technical limits in special effects(Blade runner is still amazing to me after all these years, and impresses even more now, and as the years pass) for the time.

I know its free, and I know the point is to sound cozy, but the whole damn thing is so unprofessional it disgust's me.

Don't get me wrong... I'm very aware that it's not a radio-grade production. But that's part of the appeal of the show; it's just a bunch of guys who love games (well... maybe that's not entirely accurate) who enjoy discussing them. And the production value is still a lot higher than the vast majority of gaming related podcasts out there. I wouldn't take these guys as seriously if they were putting on radio voices and speaking in a controlled format and "taking turns".

Zen

Banned
Zerodoppler said:

In all fairness Prime 3 is going to be their last Prime game, and from waht I read the problems with Retro and Nintendo were only prior to the solidication of Metroid Prime 1 and the cancellations of their other projects that were going nowhere.

Moku said:

I understand you're a radio.film nitpicking whore like you've said, but I'm going to haev to dissagree with you on your assessment. They feed off eachother very well and it's what makes them work so well as a group. No none of them have a professional 'radio' voice, but they don't sound boring either. They sound like a bunch of charasmatic people with unique manerisms and personalities who are pationate about what they're discussing, which is a lot more interesting then someone who's been pushed through pronounceation classes. If they did it in some dry boring professional format and restrained themselves it takes away what makes the podcast so great. If they measured to your criteria of 'real' radio, I'd stop listening because it would probably be very boring. You'd get some dry boring IGN style podcast or something, and it would lack the energy.

They all strike a very good balance between just being entertaining to listen to and actually having discussion, and none of them have a bad radio voice either. They're all very easy to hear and understand.

KINGMOKU

Rushmore said:
Don't get me wrong... I'm very aware that it's not a radio-grade production. But that's part of the appeal of the show; it's just a bunch of guys who love games (well... maybe that's not entirely accurate) who enjoy discussing them. And the production value is still a lot higher than the vast majority of gaming related podcasts out there. I wouldn't take these guys as seriously if they were putting on radio voices and speaking in a controlled format and "taking turns".
It is the appeal of the show, but it's terrible. I hate it sometimes, and its a son of a bitch to overlook. As for them trying to sound professional, are they not game journalist's to begin with?

Part of the problem with gaming journalist's, and the reason so many dont take them seriously is thier complete lack of professionalism. That industry needs a shining light, and example for others to aspire to, like a Tom browkaw, or Paul Harvey, instead of everyone bieng a gutter-mouthed, fart-joke kid.

Answer me this;

Would you like a show that was very professional(I'm talking T.V. here, but braodcast on the internet 30minute weekly show) with a main anchor, and perhaps three other cooranspondants that specialize in action/adventure, sports, role-playing, complete with packages for each one, and games that are coming, along with a weekly interview with an industry big-wig, and perhaps a 5minute review portion twords the end of the show covering say, the last 3big releases for each console/handhled, and perhaps even sales numbers for each territory at the end of each show?

I have often thought about this, from a producer standpoint, and I think it could be put together rather easily, and at a lower cost then expected. I think it would garner massive attention, wich would allow for free viewing.

The question is, would you watch it, if it was made available? I would like to know.

moku said:
It is the appeal of the show, but it's terrible. I hate it sometimes, and its a son of a bitch to overlook. As for them trying to sound professional, are they not game journalist's to begin with?

Part of the problem with gaming journalist's, and the reason so many dont take them seriously is thier complete lack of professionalism. That industry needs a shining light, and example for others to aspire to, like a Tom browkaw, or Paul Harvey, instead of everyone bieng a gutter-mouthed, fart-joke kid.

Answer me this;

Would you like a show that was very professional(I'm talking T.V. here, but braodcast on the internet 30minute weekly show) with a main anchor, and perhaps three other cooranspondants that specialize in action/adventure, sports, role-playing, complete with packages for each one, and games that are coming, along with a weekly interview with an industry big-wig, and perhaps a 5minute review portion twords the end of the show covering say, the last 3big releases for each console/handhled, and perhaps even sales numbers for each territory at the end of each show?

I have often thought about this, from a producer standpoint, and I think it could be put together rather easily, and at a lower cost then expected. I think it would garner massive attention, wich would allow for free viewing.

The question is, would you watch it, if it was made available? I would like to know.
I can see why you're not involved in print.

moku said:

You are completely missing the point of these podcasts. It's not supposed to be ultra-professional and polished. Instead, it's supposed to resemble you sitting around with a group of friends talking shit about games. I'm not sure about you, but since I've become more grown up and friends with more diverse (and "adult") interests, I don't get to sit around and shoot the shit about games for hours like I used to when I was younger and worked at EB or was in school. These podcasts essentially replace that activity which is why I find them so damn appealing, not to mention the fact that they are a great way to pass the time while commuting or working out.

Don't forget that these are writers, not communications majors, and I think they do a pretty damn good job considering their limits. In particular, I think Garnett has an excellent voice and John's is very appealing is well. I listen to a fair amount of "professional" radio, mostly sports shows and I don't see a huge difference other than a lair of polish and focus, as well as a million ****ing commercials, half of which are woven into the show in an attempt to trick the listener.

Our hobby is barely able to sustain a few mediocre shows on a network that used to be about games so I doubt that it would really sustain the slickly-produced shows that you lust after. Even if those shows were successful, they'd be so watered-down and full of commercials that they would become completely unappealing to gamers unless there were exclusive announcements or interviews.

Rushmore

moku said:

Answer me this;

Frankly, I wouldn't. The closest we've come to what you're describing is IGN Weekly and X-Play. Both of them attempt to approach the subject material in a serious and "professional" manner but it simply doesn't work for multiple reasons.

A) They're talking about video games. Whether you're willing to admit it or not, video games are toys.

B) Tom Brokaw reports the news. He doesn't editorialize which allows him his professional demeanor. He's able to maintain absolute objectivity because the material he reports on is strictly factual. As video games are an entertainment medium, it wouldn't be interesting to discuss them objectively and without editorial. That's why we need people who take a real interest in the subject material and talk about it passionately. The last thing we need is a videogame news anchor who reads material he didn't write, about games he hasn't played off a prompter.

I'm not saying that the show couldn't use a little more polish but I don't want it to turn into the McLaren Report. I listen because I want to hear gamers talk about games. If that's not what you're into, instead of trying to change the format I suggest looking for a show where such a format exists or perhaps pioneer one of your own as its in your own field of choice.

Games are FUN. They don't need professionalism, they need passion and knowledge. The 1Up guys sound like they're having regular conversations about regular topics. If I wanted to hear somebody tackle gaming like it's far more important than it is I'd listen to the Gamasutra podcast.

Sapiens

1up yours just clicks for some reason

i hope to god they can keep this group and formula together for a long time

(also - am I the ONLY one who can absolutely NOT watch 1upshow?)

Top Bottom