• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up Yours today?

Rlan

Quick mention: Australia definitely jumped on with the original Xbox, Xbox 360 is dwindling because you either get that for $650, or a PS2 or DS for $189. HDTV's are rediculously expensive here, almost no 1080p TVs. We're very willing to get the Tech, but they're not giving it tousat an affordable price.

Also, Australia has jumped on the bandwagon of the Singstar and Buzz quizz games. They're ALWAYS in the top 10 games every week. These novelty games is a reason why I believe Wii will elbow PS3 and 360's kidneys.

the ps2 bit was quite interesting, i think it could harm ps3 sales but i guess we'll have to see

and Geo Wars 3 before summer you say? <3 1up yours, seriously its the best place for news, so damn funny a great podcast today, and Luke.. (if you read this..) do you have a rough time frame on when ms will officially announce 250mb/450mb downloads on arcade?

Tremendous show this week. I only started listening like a month or two ago, but I'll looking forward to each Friday now with much anticipation.

Drensch

The whole sys wars discussion totally glossed over the Wii despite what they said.

John's diatribe on HDTV having small penetration. Luke's assertion that Wii can pass/catch X360. And yet it was not discussed at all except as a dumping ground for ports. A system that they themselves have opened a door for by talking about fast sales, cheap dev, and HD not being a big factor.

Publishers will make a quicky ps2 game for money and then out of altruism lose money on a ps3 game? And meanwhile ignore the Wii? Seems unlikely given their assertions.

Garnett's theory fail with this (me) Xbox1 owner. MS dropping the Xbox1 makes NOT WANT a 360.. I don't trust MS with longevity support

Garnett's theory of Xbox III being announced by 2008 re-inforces the mentaility that I do not agree with.

the PS2 longevity support is the driving reason that makes me believe that the PS3 will as longevity living long years of support

Mojovonio

Banned
In the bitching about how fast MS dropped the Xbox, they forgot to mention how Nvidia was raping them and pretty much forced them to kill it off.

LOL!

Funniest 1st segment ever!

I am soooooo laughing my ass off every 30 seconds here! Friday is the perfect day for this podcast. It makes me so happy!

Mrbob

EA is pissed at VALVE with HL2: Orange.

Doug Lombardi mentioned it in the recent Game Informer. But since EA only publishes it, VALVE has total control over what goes into the package.

One thing failed to mention in the podcast is the BOMBA of Half Life 2 on Xbox. Remember Gabe said Half Life 2 underperformed severely on Xbox, so it gives Valve more incentive for a more feature ladened package. I do think it is the best value package ever too.

MS isn't going to be releasing another Xbox in '08 and I don't know why you guys are even entertaining the thought. The situation with the 360 isn't the same as the original Xbox. MS boxed themselves in with a deal with nVidia that made it impossible for them to reduce the production cost. It was a losing proposition from the onset. Now MS owns the 360 tech and it'll be cheaper and cheaper for MS to manufacture the system.

tanod

when is my burrito
I've been listening to this podcast since the very first one. The show really became magic when you figured out the current line up though. I'm a huge fan of 1UP now and canceled my IGN Insider subscription. WTF was I thinking with (IGN) that, ugh?

I'm so glad I found this podcast.

Gotta say though. Best 1UP Yours ever. Awesome!!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I know a couple of voices on this show so I'm sorry if I'm calling out the wrong person but..

...Garnett (I think who it was) seems like he was excited at the fact that MS would be announcing their next console next yeah :lol . Sure its competition and he thinks it to be "the knife to the heart" but another console so quickly released would be bad for the industry.

If anything, 3rd party developers would probably freak. Don't bring the short cycle PC upgrade shit to the console sector MS.

Terrell

LJ11 said:
Exactly. MS doesn't want to commit corporate suicide.
MS has commited corporate suicide hundreds of times... we just don't notice because us consumers, most of whom are total idiots, keep reviving the company's rotting corpse by buying their overpriced QA-deficient products, minor incremental upgrades and competitor ripoffs. And being a Canadian, I can say that INCLUDES the 360.

Why on the earth would MS drop a console which is going to be #1 in NA in just 3 years? If anything this generation will be very similar to Genesis versus SNES, on many different levels (with 360 = Genesis obviously). I'll let the game sales chart fanboys explain it more thoroughly, but FYI Genesis was whomping on SNES until 1995, and even at that point by a far gap the top sellers for both consoles were the equivalent of today's generic EA and UbiSoft titles, not the games which fill your nostalgia-laden lists of favorites today. As long as MS doesn't release "360 HD-DVD Game Enabled Version" AKA Sega's folly called Sega CD they will be fine.

Odysseus

Banned
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
MS isn't going to be releasing another Xbox in '08 and I don't know why you guys are even entertaining the thought. The situation with the 360 isn't the same as the original Xbox. MS boxed themselves in with a deal with nVidia that made it impossible for them to reduce the production cost. It was a losing proposition from the onset. Now MS owns the 360 tech and it'll be cheaper and cheaper for MS to manufacture the system.

exactly right

the next one doesn't come until 2009

Terrell said:
MS has commited corporate suicide hundreds of times... we just don't notice because us consumers, most of whom are total idiots, keep reviving the company's rotting corpse by buying their overpriced QA-deficient products, minor incremental upgrades and competitor ripoffs. And being a Canadian, I can say that INCLUDES the 360.

Besides the fact that Microsoft is doing perfectly well overall, your assumptions are entirely incorrect for the 360. Overpriced? I don't think anyone's making that argument anymore. Minor incremental upgrade? The year-older tech more than competes with the PS3. Competitor ripoffs? The interface, Live service, wireless accessories, and marketplace have been market-leading and will continue to be throughout this generation. QA-deficient? Not anymore so than any non-Nintendo system.

MS is one of the most shocking success stories of any company, EVER, and to say that it has committed corporate suicide hundreds of times is ignorant...bordering on idiotic.

aeolist

Banned
This has probably been covered already, but where did that whole Retro thing come from? Nintendo owns them completely, there's no way they'd be making a game for PS3 or 360.

Krowley

On the ps2 discussion in the middle section (which was totally awesome )

I think the whole premise is a bit wrong because the ps3 would be having trouble regardless.

If Sony killed the ps2, it wouldn't suddenly make the ps3 more compelling. These ps2 sales are not cutting into ps3 sales and they never will.. Most of the people that are buying ps2 right now can't afford a ps3 and that will probably stay the same for quite a few years.

Ps3 as a product just isn't in the sweet spot (the right balance between price/performance/features) and unless this generation defies convention, sony won't be able to stage a late comeback. The ps2 has nothing to do with that. If the ps3 was a more compelling product in the right price zone, there would be a switchover by consumers starting with the early adopters and eventually (with price drops) the mass consumer. This would cause developers to switch over and abandon the ps2...

The way it is right now, by the time it gets into a mainstream price point, the software support won't be there anymore, and whatever games they do have by then will be greatly outnumbered and outclassed on the other two consoles.

It's a pessimistic view, but it's looking more and more likely. Shane is overly bullish about ps3's future. It would take some very insane games in the next couple of years to make the 2008 scenario happen.. either that or a price drop.

edit// in the long run, developers will follow the lead of consumers.. Consumers are the chicken, developers are the egg... This years ps3 games were mostly in development before anybody knew it was going to be a 600 dollar purchase... that's a case of devs trying to predict the future and just relying on the sony brand to make their decisions... Now that the console is on the market, reality will dictate all the systems future support.

If the games dry up, people won't buy it (no matter how future proofed it may be)... And if people don't buy it, the games will dry up.

Terrell

mmlemay said:
Besides the fact that Microsoft is doing perfectly well overall, your assumptions are entirely incorrect for the 360. Overpriced? I don't think anyone's making that argument anymore. Minor incremental upgrade? The year-older tech more than competes with the PS3. Competitor ripoffs? The interface, Live service, wireless accessories, and marketplace have been market-leading and will continue to be throughout this generation. QA-deficient? Not anymore so than any non-Nintendo system.

MS is one of the most shocking success stories of any company, EVER, and to say that it has committed corporate suicide hundreds of times is ignorant...bordering on idiotic.
I live in Canada, where they charge $70 CAD more for the 360 than in the States, and that's AFTER the exchange rate is factored in. Canadians get gouged, hence the claim.
"Minor incremental upgrade" and "competitor ripoffs" was more in reference to their PC software, though if they cut the lifespan of the 360 short as well, it would THEN apply to their gaming hardware. Cuz let's face it, PC software's where MS' money is all being made, NOT the 360, and MS has fumbled that ball too many times with their OS and Office, yet consumers keep purchasing the products regardless of what little they offer over their previous iterations.
QA deficiency isn't up for argument. Even GAFers who love their 360s admit that the red lights of penultimate doom are a constant plague to the hardware's track record. But they acknowledge it because they love the games for the system, and that's all that matters to them.
Quit being defensive and actually take the comments into context... I was commenting on MS as a WHOLE. This is silly. Go play your system if it's worth getting so defensive over comments that didn't necessary have anything to do with it.

ElyrionX

I can't seem to get this from the iTunes store. Earlier today I thought I had downloaded it successfully. But when I tried to listen to it, iTunes couldn't locate the file. So I deleted it and tried to update the podcast to download it again but it doesn't seem to be there.

Terrell said:
I live in Canada, where they charge $70 CAD more for the 360 than in the States, and that's AFTER the exchange rate is factored in. Canadians get gouged, hence the claim.
true dat,
in the US the Core 360 may be closer to the Wii in price.
but in Canada, the Premium 360 is closer to the 20GB PS3 in price.

a Premium 360 at $499.99 CDN vs a 20GB PS3 at $559.99 CDN, what will you chose? one comes with a BR player and doesn't force you to buy a recharger for your controller. To a Canadian as myself, the 20GB PS3 is a better bargain then a Premium 360

anywy, the PS2 doesn't hurt the PS3 at all, it actually helps it in brand name recognition.

If consummers feel comfy with the PS2 last so many years, they will trust Sony in 2008 and 2009 when they decide to buy a PS3 (with a cheaper price).

Do you trust MS after dropping the Xbox1? I don't , that is why the 360 won't part of my multi-console gaming family this gen

Wollan said:
Being future proof is having stuff that doesn't necessarily mean too much today but that will eventually last. Blu-ray as you said but the HDMI (as you hinted too) is another future proofing alongside having a standard HDD. 1080p and Bluetooth 2.0 as well is a very nice standards to have. I would even say that features like that is much more important than 50% more power or whatever. As Shane said in the show (and being right in this case), the Xbox 3 will become a 'PS3'. And with the graphical saturation point being closed in on in this gen, launching the Xbox 3 will be very hard for MS.

you havent made a good arguement...everything you listed can be done on a 360...wireless headset, wireless controllers, hdtv hookup via component, all of which is just as future proof as the ps3. The blu ray I will give ps3..but like I said, if we are downloading our games in 5 yrs, one wont need blu ray or any other disc. my argument would be the ps3 is a 360 with blu ray. That can be argued just as easily as the future proof thing....be really interesting how things look 5 yrs from now. And I agree its a great time to be a gamer.

Could someone PLEASE tell 1up Yours that their iTunes feed is incorrect? It has reported the last two release dates as DECEMBER, NOT JANUARY!!!

Awesome podcast this week, just wish Garnett would stop talking about things he's totally clueless about. North America doesn't have an HDTV standard? Manufacturers just came up with 1080p to rape consumers? Get informed.

Wollan

mylilbuddy said:
you havent made a good arguement...everything you listed can be done on a 360...wireless headset, wireless controllers, hdtv hookup via component, all of which is just as future proof as the ps3.

Actually I didn't mention those. I was more thinking about having stuff included as a standard (across all machines no matter what SKU). Besides technical specifications (as in hardware strength), the feature list for a potential Xbox 3 could look very similar to a PS3 albeit more up to date to ~2010 (HD format, 1080p games/movies, HDMI output, HDD, Bluetooth) which will make it even harder for the Xbox 3 to break through because you already have all of that with the PS3 which will be plenty established at that time (and still relative young and growing). The Sony console is meant to last and I would be very surprised if they launched the PS4 one year after. Two years at the shortest I say (and no, that doesn't mean the Xbox 3 would gain next-next gen superiority due to extreme early presence, it would mean it would get passed on by anyone not hardcore with the PS4 coming out when it's good and ready. If the Xbox 3 launches in 2010, it will face a still young PS3. But the more they wait (with releasing their next console), the more the standards of the PS3 will show as the years pass by. MS are damned if they do and damned if they don't).

REV 09

Wollan said:
Actually I didn't mention those. I was more thinking about having stuff included as a standard (across all machines no matter what SKU). Besides technical specifications (as in hardware strength), the feature list for a potential Xbox 3 could look very similar to a PS3 albeit more up to date to ~2010 (HD format, 1080p games/movies, HDMI output, HDD, Bluetooth) which will make it even harder for the Xbox 3 to break through because you already have all of that with the PS3 which will be plenty established at that time (and still relative young and growing). The Sony console is meant to last and I would be very surprised if they launched the PS4 one year after. Two years at the shortest I say (and no, that doesn't mean the Xbox 3 would gain next-next gen superiority due to extreme early presence, it would mean it would get passed on by anyone not hardcore with the PS4 coming out when it's good and ready. If the Xbox 3 launches in 2010, it will face a still young PS3. But the more they wait (with releasing their next console), the more the standards of the PS3 will show as the years pass by. MS are damned if they do and damned if they don't).
wouldn't that mean that the PS3 doesn't support voice chat or HD anything as a standard. If we're referring to future proofing as what actually ships w/ the box, then Sony hasn't even jumped into the HD realm yet since you can in no way enjoy anything remotely HD out of the box.

These guys really don't give Nintendo enough credit. The only one who at least tries is Shane. The rest are in some serious denial.

Wollan

REV 09 said:
wouldn't that mean that the PS3 doesn't support voice chat or HD anything as a standard. If we're referring to future proofing as what actually ships w/ the box, then Sony hasn't even jumped into the HD realm yet since you can in no way enjoy anything remotely HD out of the box.

No console has voice support as a standard yet though the X360 is pretty close (actually, the Xbox 1 had voice as standard, there was no way you could acquire Live without getting a headset).
The PS3's games has HD graphics, the PS3 has HD outputs. It's there in the box and right now the barrier to entry is 5$ extra. This is different from having the lack of a next-gen disc format for example where you cannot remedy purchasers of the launch/early hardware. HD is in every aspect of the PS3 as of now, it's totally capable of producing it right now. You just need that cable. Within 18 months, I bet you Sony will start shipping those PS3 boxes with some kind of HD cable.

adelante

Wollan said:
Actually I didn't mention those. I was more thinking about having stuff included as a standard (across all machines no matter what SKU). Besides technical specifications (as in hardware strength), the feature list for a potential Xbox 3 could look very similar to a PS3 albeit more up to date to ~2010 (HD format, 1080p games/movies, HDMI output, HDD, Bluetooth) which will make it even harder for the Xbox 3 to break through because you already have all of that with the PS3 which will be plenty established at that time (and still relative young and growing). The Sony console is meant to last and I would be very surprised if they launched the PS4 one year after. Two years at the shortest I say (and no, that doesn't mean the Xbox 3 would gain next-next gen superiority due to extreme early presence, it would mean it would get passed on by anyone not hardcore with the PS4 coming out when it's good and ready).
You actually think that a bunch of audio/video standards will be the main selling point of their next console, and not graphical/raw computational power, online services, etc? Though why you'd think that the bluetooth is a step-up over a tech that works in a similar, if not already more efficient way, is beyond me...

Wollan

adelante said:
You actually think that a bunch of audio/video standards will be the main selling point of their next console, and not graphical/raw computational power, online services, etc?

Well now it has to right? When your competition got all of those bases covered you don't have any choice but to push those old strengths. And that's why I think it will be much harder to launch the Xbox 3 alongside it potentially going face to face with a young PS3.

adelante said:
Though why you'd think that the bluetooth is a step-up over a tech that works in a similar, if not already more efficient way, is beyond me...

I'm sure that there are better things than Bluetooth 2.0 out there, there are stuff out there much better than USB 2.0 as well. Doesn't change the fact that these cover the majority of products and may be considered an overall standard. I'm sure the Xbox 3 will use USB 3.0 or whatever comes next but within those standards that the great majority uses.

gutter_trash said:
true dat,
in the US the Core 360 may be closer to the Wii in price.
but in Canada, the Premium 360 is closer to the 20GB PS3 in price.

a Premium 360 at $499.99 CDN vs a 20GB PS3 at $559.99 CDN, what will you chose? one comes with a BR player and doesn't force you to buy a recharger for your controller. To a Canadian as myself, the 20GB PS3 is a better bargain then a Premium 360

anywy, the PS2 doesn't hurt the PS3 at all, it actually helps it in brand name recognition.

If consummers feel comfy with the PS2 last so many years, they will trust Sony in 2008 and 2009 when they decide to buy a PS3 (with a cheaper price).

Do you trust MS after dropping the Xbox1? I don't , that is why the 360 won't part of my multi-console gaming family this gen

You are really basing your comparison between the systems on a USB cable and BD playback? If you want to play that game, don't forget that you get component cables and a headset with the 360.

However, shouldn't you base your purchasing decisions on the video game systems on, you know, games? In that capacity, the 360 is the clear winner at this point, and will continue to be for the forseeable future. However, it's anybody's guess what will happen after the first half of this year.

mentalfloss said:
These guys really don't give Nintendo enough credit. The only one who at least tries is Shane. The rest are in some serious denial.

they do talk about the DS more ofthen then the PSP.

The Wii launch games have been talked about in the last two months, but there are no new games now, not much news

Notice that when they talk about the PS3, they don't talk about games at all. They talk about market share.

Blazyr

_leech_ said:
Awesome podcast this week, just wish Garnett would stop talking about things he's totally clueless about. North America doesn't have an HDTV standard? Manufacturers just came up with 1080p to rape consumers? Get informed.

As your wikipedia citation notes (and I'll skip the joke about treating wiki as an authority) the ATSC "standard" supports several different resolutions, aspect ratios, and frame rates. As a result, some broadcasters went with 720p, and some went 1080i. And it also muddied the water of American over the air transmission going from analog to digital, but not necessarily to HD.

So, if you take the definitiion of standard to be an agreed to level of quality, in this case the ATSC "standard" amounts to the same old standard def 480 just using MPEG-2 to transmit it.

But thanks for proving my point.

Odysseus

Banned
so i drove around today and listened to the podcast, and i have to disagree with luke and garnett about the continued success of ps2 being detrimental to ps3. i think that for most ps2 owners, the obvious natural path of progression continues to be ps3. the price might scare some off early on, but that just means they'll wait, in my opinion, and not switch to microsoft just because the 360 happens to be cheaper. in the same way, people hopping on the ps2 train at this late stage aren't going to just say "well, i'm ready for the 360 now," they're just as likely to wait it out until the ps3 has the right blend of cheap hardware and games they're looking for. the continued selling power of ps2 is not bad news for sony, sure they might want to sell more ps3s, but people buying ps2s now aren't usually going to be folks running out to buy cutting edge hardware anyway. in other news, i hate agreeing with shane.

on the concept of using the ps2 to fund your big budget ps3 games... why? obviously i'm an industry outsider, but what sense does that make? if your ps3 game is going to be a money loser, how about just not making it. if ps2 is going to be your cash cow, well, 1+1=2 and all that. if next gen development is prohibitively expensive and not likely to reap rewards and certainly likely to reap less rewards than the current generation, stick with the current generation. in other news, this is why the constant need to upgrade in gaming is fundamentally retarded.

speaking of fundamentally retarded upgrades, garnett must have been drinking heavily if he thinks that not only will microsoft come out in 2008 with new hardware, but that it would be a good idea that would kill sony. it would be more likely to kill the gaming industry, because new hardware that soon is so ridiculous and i don't think even microsoft is that stupid about the console world. there's no reason these machines shouldn't last for dern well near a decade... the only thing perhaps preventing microsoft from lasting that long would be if blu ray/additional disk space really becomes a necessary evil for more than just a handful of titles. there's no reason to rush to replace either of these systems, even if you fall way behind and think you need to pull a microsoft and just bail out and start over. bailing out would be fine, just start over by joining the other guy, that's all.

Blazyr said:
As your wikipedia citation notes (and I'll skip the joke about treating wiki as an authority) the ATSC "standard" supports several different resolutions, aspect ratios, and frame rates. As a result, some broadcasters went with 720p, and some went 1080i.

Exactly, those the standards: 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. Just because there's more than one doesn't mean there aren't any standards. And TV manufactures didn't invent 1080p either.

adelante

Wollan said:
Well now it has to right? When your competition got all of those bases covered you don't have any choice but to push those old strengths. And that's why I think it will be much harder to launch the Xbox 3 alongside it potentially going face to face with a young PS3.

I'm sure that there are better things than Bluetooth 2.0 out there, there are stuff out there much better than USB 2.0 as well. Doesn't change the fact that these cover the majority of products and may be considered an overall standard. I'm sure the Xbox 3 will use USB 3.0 or whatever comes next but within those standards that the great majority uses.
Bluetooth's an established tech well before the PS3 was even unveiled. Going by your logic where common implementation dictates what will be used next, wouldn't Microsoft have chosen to have that for their wireless controllers instead of going proprietary? Not saying that Bluetooth 3.0 is totally gonna be out of the question for them, but an improved version of RTX's wireless tech might still be viable option...

And by harder to launch, you mean a machine that's say, five times more powerful (for argument's sake) than the PS3 will look less appealing?

I really doubt Retro is doing anything for any other system. Retro is completely owned by Nintendo, the only other thing I could think of is that maybe they would do it for the PC or something.

Wollan

adelante said:
Not saying that Bluetooth 3.0 is totally gonna be out of the question for them, but an improved version of RTX's wireless tech might still be viable option...

Well that depends if MS want to go down the same route as they are doing now with third party stuff pretty much being non-existent. If not, I don't see any reason not to adopt Bluetooth 3.0 or whatever.

And by harder to launch, you mean a machine that's say, five times more powerful (for argument's sake) than the PS3 will look less appealing?

Diminishing returns is in effect and it will worsen. And beyond (not too noticeable) power and their exclusive games, there will be most likely nothing else to lure consumers in at that point. In 2010/11 the PS3 will be on top of it's game.

Top Bottom