• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Game of the Year Media Picks Thread: Updated 1/4

CVG has reported that GamesMaster magazine has selected Super Mario Galaxy 2 as the best game of 2010.

GamesMaster magazine according to Wikipedia, "is the biggest selling multi-format video games magazine in the United Kingdom, outselling its sister publication Edge".

Current standings...

Red Dead Redemption - 4
Mass Effect 2 - 2
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 2
Alan Wake - 1
Bayonetta - 1

Is Red Dead going to run away with it like Uncharted 2 did last year?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
From The Star, in no particular order(lol).

Code:
10. Angry Birds
9. Assassin's Creed 2
8. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
7. Goldeneye 007
6. Halo - Reach
5. Limbo
4. Mass Effect 2
3. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
2. Red Dead Redemption
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Runner Ups: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions, Just Cause

http://www.thestar.com/fplarge/photo/908183

Gomu Gomu

Entertainment Weekly:
BJtL2.jpg

What? :lol :lol

StuBurns

Banned
The Bayo hate is mind melting. It's not the best game ever, but it's pretty incredible, and certainly deserving of the odd GotY nod.

Once again. the press bends over to suck rockstar's dick.

There are many many games which are better than red dead redemption which were completely overlooked.

But red dead redemption is made by rockstar therefore it is the best game EVAR!!!!111!!

Subliminal said:

There are many many games which are better than red dead redemption which were completely overlooked.

But red dead redemption is made by rockstar therefore it is the best game EVAR!!!!111!!

Personally, I have never really enjoyed a Rockstar game until RDR. I would always get sucked into the hype and be supremely disappointed by the GTA series.

But RDR was different for me, and one of my favorite games of the year.

Guevara

StuBurns said:
The Bayo hate is mind melting. It's not the best game ever, but it's pretty incredible, and certainly deserving of the odd GotY nod.
-viper- said:
God Of War 3 is no where near these lists. Surprising.
The "action" game genre will never win the game of the year award. Unless you play a lot of GoW/Ninja Gaiden clones, it's really hard to see how one entry is better than another. Or even if a game is good at all. To a casual player or review site the games consist of hitting the X and Y buttons ten-thousand times in a row as fast as possible.

I played a little Bayonetta and it came across as nothing special and had an annoying story. I'm sure fans of the genre will be able to see what made it great, I and most reviewers cannot. See also: Fighting Games.

The GotY award will always go to a more approachable genre and right now that tends to be "easy" First or Third person shooters.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Guevara said:
The "action" game genre will never win the game of the year award. Unless you play a lot of GoW/Ninja Gaiden clones, it's really hard to see how one entry is better than another. Or even if a game is good at all. To a casual player or review site the games consist of hitting the X and Y buttons ten-thousand times in a row as fast as possible.
But if you just hit XXX and YYY you will be sucked!

Margalis

Banned
I wonder how many of the people who are calling RDR the game of the year even got halfway through it, let alone finished it?

It's kind of strange, if you walked out of a movie halfway through you'd probably call it a terrible movie. But routinely in games people can never finish them and still call them good or even the best.

Reminds me of listening to GOTY discussions about GTA4 a few years ago, only about 1/3 of the people who said it was GOTY had beaten it.

Firestorm

Subliminal said:

I love how this comes after like 3 in a row for Super Mario Galaxy. I also love how those 3 in a row came after a bunch of other idiots crying about how Galaxy would never see an award.

Guevara

Margalis said:
I wonder how many of the people who are calling RDR the game of the year even got halfway through it, let alone finished it?

It's kind of strange, if you walked out of a movie halfway through you'd probably call it a terrible movie. But routinely in games people can never finish them and still call them good or even the best.

Reminds me of listening to GOTY discussions about GTA4 a few years ago, only about 1/3 of the people who said it was GOTY had beaten it.

RDR's main story line takes about 12-15 hours. By comparison no sane person has ever beaten GTA4 without cheats and mods.

StuBurns

Banned
Guevara said:

I played a little Bayonetta and it came across as nothing special and had an annoying story. I'm sure fans of the genre will be able to see what made it great, I and most reviewers cannot. See also: Fighting Games.

The GotY award will always go to a more approachable genre and right now that tends to be "easy" First or Third person shooters.
I fully appreciate that, I wasn't complaining it wasn't getting GotY awards, I was complaining that people were complaining that it did get one.

I expected SC2 to win everything, and RDR be the runner up for most, similar to UC2 and Batman: AA last year.

Bayonetta isn't my GotY either.

GoW3 is pretty damn mediocre though. A best graphics category maybe, but I can't see it winning a single GotY. GoW2 HD and GoW GoS both came out this year, and both outclass GoW3.

Guevara said:
RDR's main story line takes about 12-15 hours. By comparison no sane person has ever beaten GTA4 without cheats and mods.
GTA4 really isn't very difficult. Nor is it all that long.

Margalis said:

Played it twice, actually... :lol could never finish a GTA game, by comparison. Yes the Mexico part of RDR dragged a little, but it's nowhere near how bad GTA was at any point.

How anyone can beat GTA4 and still admit it was GOTY material is beyond me.
The game completely falls apart in the last five hours(and caps it all off with one of the worst final missions in a game).

Difficulty isn't the problem either. The massive stacks of scripted bullshit and repetitive mission structure just became a chore after awhile. Not entirely related but it's clear the story stopped caring when it was introducing characters just because (like the dying gangster-boss).

From what I played RDR wasn't terribly interesting but I'd still give it a GOTY nod over GTA4 if it came down to it unless the final few missions involved me chasing after dudes riding invincible horses.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
sillyperson said:

I finished it, and played about 50 hours before I started a 2nd playthrough on PS3, which I'm doing now. I love it as much as the first time.

How weird is that?

The game does drag halfway through the story when you hit Mexico, but I've enjoyed it more for the game outside of the story.

StuBurns

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
The game completely falls apart in the last five hours(and caps it all off with one of the worst final missions in a game).
There are two final missions.

I think how bad GTA4 gets is pretty dependent on the order you do things. It would appear you're meant to get the guy at the airport as the last thing you do before you go to the wedding. But it's possible to do it much much earlier and go to the wedding after the Gracie missions which are terrible.

Guevara

StuBurns said:
GTA4 really isn't very difficult. Nor is it all that long.
Oh I'm not saying GTA4 is a difficult game...
PepsimanVsJoe said:

Difficulty isn't the problem either. The massive stacks of scripted bullshit and repetitive mission structure just became a chore after awhile. Not entirely related but it's clear the story stopped caring when it was introducing characters just because (like the dying gangster-boss).

From what I played RDR wasn't terribly interesting but I'd still give it a GOTY nod over GTA4 if it came down to it unless the final few missions involved me chasing after dudes riding invincible horses.

Boney

Banned
Bayoneta is GOTY 2010. It might change when I pick Vanquish though, but I doubt it.

But my personal pick, would be...

alg_metroid.jpg

Margalis

Banned
RDR's main story line takes about 12-15 hours.

And?

On Weekend Confirmed all three hosts raved about RDR. Garnett has not beaten it and Jeff just beat it a couple weeks ago. I don't think that's all that anomalous.

Anecdotally I've heard of a lot of people dropping it in Mexico and not picking it back up.

I get that Joe Regular Gamer probably beat the game but I wonder if Joe Regular Reviewer has.

Edit: I'm not trying to imply that RDR is a bad game or undeserving of a GOTY award.

I got 100 percent completion on RDR. I've never even attempted that with any other Rockstar game. I don't even like GTA games. I was completely skeptical about RDR before buying it, but I loved every minute of it aside from the lull in Mexico. Plus there was the free outlaws to the end co-op pack and the recent zombie DLC, which was pretty awesome.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Margalis said:
And?

On Weekend Confirmed all three hosts raved about RDR. Garnett has not beaten it and Jeff just beat it a couple weeks ago. I don't think that's all that anomalous.

Anecdotally I've heard of a lot of people dropping it in Mexico and not picking it back up.

I get that Joe Regular Gamer probably beat the game but I wonder if Joe Regular Reviewer has.

Edit: I'm not trying to imply that RDR is a bad game or undeserving of a GOTY award.

I did that. I got to Mexico and the game just dragged and dragged. I got so bored doing the repetative grind missions I just gave up.

At least in GTA you can steal a car and have some fun wrecking things.

Margalis said:

Both GTA IV and RDR have this immediate factor of "Holy crap this is so immersive and incredible!" But after playing them to the end all I could think was: "That was fun. Nothing incredible but fun."

At least for me Rockstar has never created a game compelling from start to finish.

Margalis

Banned
ConcealedBlaze said:
Both GTA IV and RDR have this immediate factor of "Holy crap this is so immersive and incredible!" But after playing them to the end all I could think was: "That was fun. Nothing incredible but fun."

I suspect that a lot of people choosing the GOTY awards don't play to the end of many of the games they are weighing in on.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
RDR and SMG2 deserve the praise, while Tom Chick continues loving what most people dislike. The shtick is getting old. BioShock 2 is to the series as Blue Shift was to Half-Life; boring, dull and completely uninspired.

Monocle

AmericanNinja said:
it must be because Bayonetta is garbage no matter what platform you platy it on. IMO.
Well then your opinion is absolutely worthless, because Bayonetta is quite possibly the best action game ever made, solely on the strength of its gameplay. I can only assume you hold the view you do because either you're put off by the presentation (which has very little to do with the quality of an action game. Get over it.) or you don't have the first clue about how to identify good gameplay (in which case, what business do you have judging a skill-based action game?).

I try not to make absolute statements too often, so I think I can be forgiven for saying that anyone who doesn't recognize Bayonetta as a top tier action game is ignorant or misinformed (or a troll), and ought to hold their tongue until they're qualified to speak intelligently about the genre.

Ledsen

Guevara said:

Except Bayonetta has a Metacritic score of 90 so what are you talking about? You're the anomaly here, not us "fans of the genre" (I'm not BTW, with a few exceptions) as you imply.

seady

Surprise and happy that Super Mario Galaxy gets so many GOTYs. I thought the media would forget about it already in favor the HD consoles' games.

Top Bottom