• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 high-res PC screenshots! (READ RULES)

derFeef

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm getting 50-60fps constantly, anyway. :D

I wasn't aware that in some cases AA can make a game look worse. You learn something new every day. Whenever I start a new game I just go to the options and set everything to max... I guess I should read up on the particular aspects of each game in the future!
It´s not real AA (deferred technique?) and that´s why it makes things worse, like brain_stew explained above. Anyway... not the right thread. ;)

BobsRevenge said:
Why isn't this thread flooded with Mafia 2 screenshots?

OK, here's some of mine. Still shots don't really do the game justice, it looks so much better when in motion. Also using an ATI (HD5770).

mafia2-2010-08-27-16-19-19-81.jpg

mafia2-2010-08-27-16-19-48-70.jpg

markao

@Bob, because people were probably like me since early this morning, to busy playing the game ;)

But here a few shots and I have the same problem with my ATI card. No AA just a few to many edges, in game AA and screens, not when you play, look a little blurry. Having sad that, game looks stunning. (just a high res texture pack and few pop-ups fixed all it needs ;) )

Mafia 2 - 1900-1200 - ingame AA on, 16 AF no physics, other ingame settings max.
mafia22010-08-2723-38-052o.png

mafia22010-08-2723-41-95hs.png

ps: Anyone knows if there's a way to disable the HUD(s)

Its because that "AA" setting doesn't just apply standard MSAA as you'd expect, it adds an edge blurring filter which just doesn't work well at all.

nexen said:
Yes.

That looks damned good for Pariah!

:D

I know my graphics engines!

I always really liked the way UE2 looked, it produced a really nice, sharp and clean image quality and games built on it look fantastic with the AA cranked. I've always found it to perform fantastically as well.

Edit: I love that staircase shot.

markao

brain_stew said:
Its because that "AA" setting doesn't just apply standard MSAA as you'd expect, it adds an edge blurring filter which just doesn't work well at all.
Yeah, I get it now, should have been clear after reading through those Cryengine 3 papers :lol , that ingame is not the same as adding MSAA.

Hopefully there will a "forced AA" for ATI cards out soon.

John

brain_stew said:
Incase you can't tell, the aspect ratio is borked in your Dark Sector shots. You've got to run it in windowed mode to get the game to fix that if I remember rightly, widescreengamingforum.com should have the answer anyway.

I quite enjoyed Dark Sector, was worth the couple quid I paid for it. Can't remember if I ever got AA working but try using UT3's profile and you might have some luck.

Yeah, I'd noticed that the screen was zoomed-in, I'll try this when I get the chance. This is my third time trying to beat the game (first two on PS3), and while I've had my fun with the game I'm in chapter six right now, and doing the same things over and over again is taking a heavy toll on my enjoyment. Probably won't finish this try either. :p

FoxSpirit

I have a request: could someone with Starcraft 2 and a HD5xxx or NVidia card post some screens with SGSSAA? Would really like to see some :)

jediyoshi said:
Loaded up Pariah. Maxed out 1920x1080, don't think forcing AA works.

*pics of Pariah*
Wow, this game! Long time no see. Sometimes I've thought I was the only one that played that game back in the days. If I mention it, nobody seems to know what I'm on about. I remember it being a very forgettable experience though. Some cool woodland enviroments, with this round bunker entrances in the ground being the coolest.

Moobabe said:
I can't believe people think the source engine is looking old. Those L4D2 shots are stunning.
The engine has been updated to hell and back since its original release. I never understand why people even call it old.

John

Dark Sector

DS+2010-09-05+00-21-21-95.jpg

DS+2010-09-04+18-02-37-68.jpg

Now that I've got that aspect ratio problem sorted out (have to run it in windowed mode), the game's picking up, and it shoots really well. Sure, forcing AA does nothing, and I'm running slightly below native res to play windowed, but the glaive is a damn fun weapon to use and it still looks pretty thanks to post-processing effects.

It makes the game a lot more fun, I think. I'm using KB/M and my girlfriend is using 360 controller. Since it's on the same screen I don't even need to go to the bother of hooking my PC up to my TV. :)

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
John said:
Dark Sector

I don't think your screenshots do the game justice (sorry). Too much bloom taking over the screens. Dark Sector was a game that got a lot of bad press when they changed the art style, but I really liked the game and wielding the boomerang blade thing you threw. It looked great and played fun. Please post some non close-up shots of bloom FX :) to show the people who haven't played it how nice it does look :).

Top Bottom