• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010: The Year of the RPG

Ranger X

Man, if only those games had less filler, grinding and where shorter, I would buy many of them.

Right now, I might dip for one of the highest budgeted only. You know, just for some epic RPG fix. This probably means White Knight Chronicles or FF13 (if ever I dig it).

Vrakanox

2010 is going to be a great year that's for sure. I was kind of sad not to see SO4 international on your list though.

Oh yeah also Hexyz Force

Go ahead and change half those DS US Release "TBA"s to "In Your Dreams".

Anyways I'm not half excited for any of those games as I am Dragon Age. Whoo, Dragon Age.

Also dear god Resonance of Fate is an awful name. They really should have stuck with End of Eternity.

Pachinko

If I were still 15 I'd be in heaven at this news, certainly more RPG's should make it out by 2010's end then the last few years.

The problem is that of any genre of game , the JRPG has kind of fallen by the wayside for me. They just flatout take too long to finish and have to much filler to keep me compelled for their duration.

I mean, I bought FF12 when it came out (2005?) was all excited for it and I actually liked it quite a bit , more then any final fantasy on ps2 at the very least but I just stopped playing it and still have a 3 year old save file stuck at the same spot I made it to over 3 years ago now.

Mass Effect is the only rpg I've made it through in the last decade that was a new release and I think the biggest contribution to that involved the use of a fantastically written storyline that was over in 15 hours. I was compelled to see it through because I knew after a couple weeks of putzing through it that I'd be done it soon.

anyway, back on topic

In spite of everything I just said I'll likely grab mass effect 2 and more then likely final fantasy 13 but chances are high I will only finish mass effect 2 :p

Son of Godzilla said:
Go ahead and change half those DS US Release "TBA"s to "In Your Dreams".

Anyways I'm not half excited for any of those games as I am Dragon Age. Whoo, Dragon Age.

Also dear god Resonance of Fate is an awful name. They really should have stuck with End of Eternity.

Pretty Much. That Mass Effect 2 and Alpha Protocol. Of course I'll get FF 13, but seriously it's taken them so long to release it my caring for it is almost dead.

Yeesh, next year is ridiculous. I think of, say, 2007 as a great year for RPGs -- we got Etrian Odyssey, Mass Effect, and Persona 3 that year -- and 2010 is going to basically hit all of those notes, plus main-series DQ, FF, SMT, and KH games, plus a ton of other more niche shit besides....

-Yeti said:
More like "2010: The Year of the JRPG" :(

In terms purely of console WRPGs, a year that includes Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, Mass Effect 2, and Fable 3 is about as good as you could ever legitimately hope for.

In terms of PC RPGs, Diablo 3 would be a great start if it makes it next year. I don't really follow PC RPGs that closely these days -- there must be some good stuff in the pipeline, right?

Really, I think this is a great year for RPG fans regardless of tastes. Banner series and niche games, Western and Japanese games, major titles for every platform.

FoxSpirit said:
It's slightly irking the "big" consoles are getting so little love.

Really? There's like four probably-great PS360 games (FFXIII, RoF, F:NV, and AP) on the list, plus several strong exclusives each for each.

I guess Wii is probably the worst-off platform in the OP, but even so Tales of Graces is a pretty big deal, and I expect both ARF and Shiren to be strong titles for those interested in them.

Durante

I can see New Vegas slipping to 2011, I don't have faith in Obsidian releasing a game less than 1 1/2 year after the announcement :lol

charlequin said:
In terms of PC RPGs, Diablo 3 would be a great start if it makes it next year. I don't really follow PC RPGs that closely these days -- there must be some good stuff in the pipeline, right?
Well, all the console WRPGs you listed (except Fable) have a (superior) PC version of course, and then there's also Arcania. I can't think of any other large release right now but I may be missing something.

RedBoot

Sad to not see SaGa 2 on the list, and also sad that it hasn't been announced for over here yet. It's true that we haven't missed a SaGa game over here since Romancing SaGa 3 on the SNES (other than the Wonderswan release, which didn't come here for obvious reasons), but I'm still going to worry until it gets announced.

At any rate, I'll be buying all the SMT and DQ releases as per usual, and there's some other stuff on there that wasn't on my radar before (Infinite Space). I really hope you guys are right about 7th Dragon, I had kinda given up on that one making it over here.

Blader

Holy shit, FF13 is being made by the same team that made 10? I can't believe I didn't know that before.

I loved FFX, one of my favorite PS2 games, so my hype for 13 has just shot up.

eggandI

Banned
Infinite Space has got to be some sort of awesome because it is based on one of the greatest sci fi novels in history, Childhood's End. That, FFXIV and Golden Sun 3 are about the only things on that list worth a damn :D

Not really there are some sweet looking rpgs I've never even heard about. er Shiren the Wanderer 3 for example!

and this:
peakish said:
Perhaps in 2010 Age of Decadence will finally show up.

292lbva.jpg

Man that's how a character sheet should look.

Year of the RPG, indeed.

Edit: Shiren games, fuck yes. I'm hyped about DQIX as well for some reason, it looks fun.
Just checked out the site... game sounds great. I hope it does come out!

stupei

DAY ONE:
Mass Effect 2
Final Fantasy XIII
Ninokuni
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

WANT:
Dragon Quest IX
Golden Sun 3
Dragon Quest VI
Persona 3 Portable
Pokemon

WAIT FOR PRICE DROP/SALE:
Fable 3
Fallout: New Vegas

MAYBE:
Alpha Protocol
Infinite Space
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep

DISTANT POSSIBILITY:
Resonance of Fate

I'm going to be so poor, and also have no time to finish anything. And that's just the RPGs next year. Jesus. (Thank God at least half of these aren't really coming out until Spring 2011!)

Johann

2010 looks to be a very good year for online RPGs.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is scheduled for release during that year. Guild Wars 2 beta will occur during that time. Star Wars: The Old Republic will also star beta testing and possibly squeeze out a release. Then we have the FFXIV which will have an extensive beta.

I'm very excited to see how subscribers shuffle around with the influx of new titles. I was very disappointed last year when Mythic and Warhammer Online didn't shake the foundations of the MMO market.

kiryogi

Banned
Uh, why isn't Phantasy Star on that list? Hell you included Pokemon. I understand you want an solid list of RPGs and that you weren't ever a fan of what happened to Phantasy Star. But the first and the second one actually has a pretty reasonable amount of love from folks out there unlike the first rendition of PSU.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'll be getting:

Final Fantasy XIII (Importing but will double dip)
Final Fantasy XIV
Dragon Quest IX
Mass Effect 2
Final Fantasy Gaiden 4 Warriors of Light
Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Resonance of Fate
Dragon Quest IX
Ys 7
Valkyria Chronicles 2
Last Ranker
Star Wars The Old Republic
Ar Tonelico 3
Atelier Rorona
White Knight Chronicles (Imported but will double dip for the new content)
Star Ocean 4: International
Tales of Vesperia PS3

And here's to hoping at least one of these three makes it for 2010:
3rd Birthday
Final Fantasy Agito XIII
Final Fantasy Versus XIII

I imagine NISA will announce localization for games like Trinity Universe and a date for their Last Rebellion for 2010 for those that care.

Either way, 2010 is stacked across all platforms.

Decado

Hm. I think I've lost all interest in RPGs coming from Japan. It has been ages since one was released I'd consider good and 2010 looks like more of the same (silly "systems", poor gameplay and annoying brat main characters).

I'll probably give Mass Effect 2 a go at some point. ME1 was surprisingly enjoyable.

Durante

I just noticed Atelier Rorona is missing.
ethelred said:
Yeah, I should add Phantasy Star Portable. I wasn't aware people were looking forward to Atelier games, though. The Atelier Iris games weren't that good and I don't remember any GAF interest in the series, but I guess I can add it.
There's some GAF interest in the Mana Khemia games, that may carry over to Rorona.

Is there a particular reason why you insist on the Valkyrie spelling by the way?

eggandI

Banned
Decado said:
Hm. I think I've lost all interest in RPGs coming from Japan. It has been ages since one was released I'd consider good and 2010 looks like more of the same (silly "systems", poor gameplay and annoying brat main characters).

I'll probably give Mass Effect 2 a go at some point. ME1 was surprisingly enjoyable.

Yeah usually the ones that don't try to bash you in the head with silly pseudo-scientific and philosophical bullshit and dumb characters, aka, the ones that don't rely on story to hopefully be a decent game, are the most tolerable ones. Shiren 3 is a rogue-like that doesn't look like shite, it'll be awesome!

Hiltz

It will be good year. However, without a new Ogre Battle game it could be a great year.

Golden Sun DS and Monster Hunter 3 are pretty much the only RPGs I care about at this point for next year release.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I just want to say how much I love these ethelred threads <3 (the Sega one was very under appreciated)

2010 is going to be very epic

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Kagari said:
I'll be getting:

Final Fantasy XIII (Importing but will double dip)
Final Fantasy XIV
Dragon Quest IX
Mass Effect 2
Final Fantasy Gaiden 4 Warriors of Light
Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Resonance of Fate
Dragon Quest IX
Ys 7
Valkyria Chronicles 2
Last Ranker
Star Wars The Old Republic
Ar Tonelico 3
Atelier Rorona
White Knight Chronicles (Imported but will double dip for the new content)
Star Ocean 4: International
Tales of Vesperia PS3

And here's to hoping at least one of these three makes it for 2010:
3rd Birthday
Final Fantasy Agito XIII
Final Fantasy Versus XIII

I imagine NISA will announce localization for games like Trinity Universe and a date for their Last Rebellion for 2010 for those that care.

Either way, 2010 is stacked across all platforms.
No Sakura Taisen 5?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Durante said:
I can see New Vegas slipping to 2011, I don't have faith in Obsidian releasing a game less than 1 1/2 year after the announcement :lol

Well, all the console WRPGs you listed (except Fable) have a (superior) PC version of course, and then there's also Arcania. I can't think of any other large release right now but I may be missing something.

I do. It was called KotOR II.

Oxx

I'll definitely be there for whichever Dragon Quest games come out.

Hoping that 7th Dragon and a new Fire Emblem also make it over.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
SMT Strange Journey and Divinity 2 are my most wanted 2010 RPGs. Kinda funny that they already both out, but not in English. :lol

BTW, does anyone think that there is ANY chance that Witcher 2 will come out in 2010? I know we got that Alpha leak a few months back.

HK-47 said:
And we know how THAT turned out. :p (Note: I love KOTOR 2, it is one of my favorite RPGs ever, but it was horribly unfinished. If Obsidian had time to actually complete the game, it would have been a classic that people would hold in higher regard over KOTOR 1 imo)

Cynar

Next year is the year my wallet am cry. I love almost every game in that list, any more news on FF14 coming to 360 ?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Cynar said:
Next year is the year my wallet am cry. I love almost every game in that list, any more news on FF14 coming to 360 ?

Not unless MS and Square come to an agreement.

“However, for FFXIV, because 360 has its own policy with Xbox Live that is different from [the] internet, that’s something we’re in discussions with Microsoft [about], to come to an agreement. That’s one of the reasons it’s not going to be launched at that point.”

IceMarker

TOO MANY RPG'S SO LITTLE TIME.

Seriously, I bet all these are 40+ hours long. That's way too much time spent on games in one year.:lol

ethelred said:
7th Dragon
Developer: Image Epoch
Publisher: Sega
Platform: Nintendo DS
US Release: TBA
Why It's Notable: This is the game that Kazuya Niinou, the creator of Trauma Center and the truly excellent Etrian Odyssey series, left Atlus to make, and given that his totally hardcore EO sparked the revival of the first-person dungeon crawling / Wizardry clone craze, that's pretty exciting. 7th Dragon is Niinou's attempt to create his own spin on a brand new Dragon Quest III, melded with some of the more fun elements from Etrian Odyssey. If that wasn't exciting enough, the game is also produced by Rieko Kodama, one of the co-creators of the Phantasy Star series and the producer of Skies of Arcadia. The Japanese release was met with rave reviews, too.

I haven't been paying attention lately, is this confirmed? Portable GOTY if it is :D

HK-47 said:

Though if they were given another year... :\

eggandI

Banned
theMrCravens said:
Diablo III Beta.

Maybe.

Hopefully. :(

I hope not because 2010 will be for XIV. 2011 though when D3 (hopefully) comes out it will absolutely kill any RPG that cames out that year.

kiryogi

Banned
Ys 7
Developer: Nihon Falcom
Publisher: Nihon Falcom
Platform: Sony PlayStation Portable
US Release: TBAWhy It's Notable: Ys is fairly obscure, but it's a very long-running and very high quality action RPG series that, unfortunately, hasn't seen as many English language releases as I'm sure we'd all like. And honestly, who knows if Ys 7 will make it out to the US? It's probably the least likely game I've included on the list. But it's important to keep hope, because Ys 7's copious story and its first-for-the-series addition of party members to assist Adol in combat, combined with high praise of the Japanese release, make it exactly the sort of game I'd love to see hitting the US next year for the PSP.

Hum. Didn't 2chan flame the hell out of it, not to mention it's one of SDK's weaker soundtracks in a long time. A super snore inducing boss BGM from what I've seen. I think the only praise it might have gotten was for the LoH sequel previews it included.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Durante said:
Well, I should have said a complete game.

And whose to say they wont release another incomplete game? Two expansions does not a positive track record make.

Top Bottom