• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 UEFA Champions League Final |OT| Barcelona vs Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

bjaelke said:
Vidic to get red carded, you heard it here first.
not related
Boo! i made that prediction way back. I will elaborate on your post.
Busquets suffers a life threatening injury at the hands of Vidic. Vidic is sent off as Busquets is stretchered off. The medics on the sidelines scramble to figure out the extent of the injuries suffered at the hands of that savage United player. As Valdez and others crowd the ref at the free kick spot, Busquets defies all odds and makes a miraculous recovery. He runs back on the pitch and finishes the match.

rvy

Banned
Melfice7 said:
It's going to be close contest:

new-swimming-poolskjae.jpg

I think Alves and Nani have the upper hand, but what if Mascherano is in the starting line-up? And that's not counting Busquets.
Any athlete is capable enough and has mastered this specific technique to have a shot at winning. Good luck fellas!

Garjon

Why are the lions in the banner smoking joints?

I think Barcelona will edge out Utd in terms of quality and they will no doubt dominate possession. However, Utd. are no slouches and provided they don't attempt to park the bus, I reckon they could easily get a couple of goals in. And they will need them; Barcelona are going to score, no doubt about it, but they can be beaten.

Also, if Scholes is playing, I can pretty much guarantee he will be sent off.

tzare

Nice thread, Barça fan here, i hope we can win, but i think ManU are favourites. However i hope this is a good match and wish luck to our rivals and hope that the referee goes unnoticed (so Busi, please behave)
I've bet a few euros for United so in case we loose i have something to smile xD
Força barça!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Ushojax said:
Spurs fan here but I'm rooting for United. Besides Messi, Puyol and Pique I can't stand the Barca players. When the going gets tough, they prefer to hit the deck and intimidate the referee rather than work harder. I also think they play quite boring football, the amount of passes in their own half is absurd. Possession football is all well and good when there's 10 minutes to go but not before then.
You forget to say most teams defend against Barça with 10 players behind the ball.

Hopefully Manchester will play total football and not rely on a defensive wall/counter attacks.

Empty

go united go. i think barca have the advantage going in, especially if we play two in the center of midfield against xavi, iniesta, busquets, but it's 90 minutes of football, it's not like we aren't capable of winning and i'm sure we'll get our chances. just hope it's a good, clean, open game without the aftermath being tainted by talk of cheating or ref decisions (that's a lot to hope for) and that barca don't score early and pass the game to death.

Clydefrog

Ushojax said:
Spurs fan here but I'm rooting for United. Besides Messi, Puyol and Pique I can't stand the Barca players. When the going gets tough, they prefer to hit the deck and intimidate the referee rather than work harder. I also think they play quite boring football, the amount of passes in their own half is absurd. Possession football is all well and good when there's 10 minutes to go but not before then.

Spurs fan here too; I'm rooting for Barca. You argue a good one, you do. But for me, when it comes to The Beautiful Game, no one does it better than Barcelona. I love watching them play when they play like they're supposed to. There's no better football on the planet than that. I have to admire it. Diving is, unfortunately, a part of today's game. You could go on and on how a Barcelona player falls over his face, etc etc... and I could go on how certain United players fall over, etc etc... yeah, the arrow might point in one team's favor but when it comes to the overall game, it's a metronome. Even.

I'm not counting Sir Alex out of this. I think Man Utd have a REAL chance of winning this... not "sneaking" it, but actually winning it. There's no underdog in this match. May the best team win.

I'm hoping for a quick first goal. Also let us not endure Barca making a gazillion 2-metre passes on the midfield in order to get their passing % up.

WJD

Tristam said:
I would sooner expect Ferdinand to get red-carded for a clumsy, scything tackle on Messi.
The same Rio Ferdinand who hasn't been booked since March 2009?

shuyin_

Banned
unrenowned said:
I'm hoping for a quick first goal. Also let us not endure Barca making a gazillion 2-metre passes on the midfield in order to get their passing % up.
Dude, that's how they play :/
I really don't think the players give a **** about possesion percentage. That's just their playstyle...how come there are people not used to how Barca plays, by now?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm expecting Barca to win this but i don't want them to. Just something about them i really don't like, even if Messi is a god.

I'd love a 4-3 United, that's be exciting shit.

Lakitu

st5fu
Come on Barcelona. As a Liverpool fan, the thought of Man Utd winning another Champions League hurts me deeply.

shuyin_ said:
Dude, that's how they play :/
I really don't think the players give a **** about possesion percentage. That's just their playstyle...how come there are people not used to how Barca plays, by now?
People are entitled to their own opinions of what entertaining football is. I for one do not appreciate that style of play for 90 minutes. It's boring, just plain boring.

shuyin_

Banned
unrenowned said:
People are entitled to their own opinions of what entertaining football is. I for one do not appreciate that style of play for 90 minutes. It's boring, just plain boring.
You are entitled to your opinion, but boring? WTF are you talking about? Did you not see any of Barca's games? They constantly attack...

The gazzilion passes they make in the midfield helps them breach through the defense and usually they get shoot. Jesus, the way you talk it makes me think that your opinion is they just pass in the middle of the field, without advancing...is that what you really think? Barca just stays in the middle and passes?!? smh

Watch their games. Seriously. Sure, they pass a lot but they advance into the opposition's field at the same time. And usually after some of the passes, comes an attempt at goal.

I think you either are a hater, either you simply didn't watch enough Barca games.

bjaelke

NoRéN said:
Boo! i made that prediction way back. I will elaborate on your post.
Busquets suffers a life threatening injury at the hands of Vidic. Vidic is sent off as Busquets is stretchered off. The medics on the sidelines scramble to figure out the extent of the injuries suffered at the hands of that savage United player. As Valdez and others crowd the ref at the free kick spot, Busquets defies all odds and makes a miraculous recovery. He runs back on the pitch and finishes the match.
Boo you! I always make that prediction:

2cepwro.jpg

Keio

For a Finer World
I'm saying it again: if the only games you have watched are the ugly Real Madrid "clash-icos", you haven't seen Barca play.

Mourinho's desperation to avoid the 5-0 humiliation led to a spectacle of the uglies football we've seen this season. Sure, there were ugly incidents, but the blame falls on Mou.

Other than that, Barca has been spectacular this season, as has United, when it really has counted. I really think we should not be posting silly sniper gifs or pools for diving: yes, we've all seen Alves or Nani feigning injury, but we ARE SHITTING ON THE GAME OURSELVES if we just keep pointing that out.

We should be discussing tactics, probably line-ups, scenarios (other than the Uniced-conspiracy inspired red cards) etc, PLEASE!

I really want this to be a good game. I think Ferguson will try and keep a high midfield. Would he go 3-5-2?

Rad-

I'd say United are definitely the underdogs here but that's probably a good thing for them. In the end I think Barca will take it 1-0, as I would find it pretty shocking if Ferguson won CL with this team. Hoping United takes it though.

I also find Barca's style of play boring. I think they made a mistake when they let go Ronaldinho, he added so much flair to their game. While Messi is the best in the world, he isn't that flashy and is pretty much all about dribbling. Ronaldinho was full of tricks and that was amazing to watch. I guess that's why I like CRonaldo so much atm, he does everything so stylishly.

And hopefully it's a good match.

I think it's going to tight and exciting, but low-scoring and involve long spells of Barca possession, maybe even moving to ET or penalties. If I have to throw out a prediction:

2-1 United.

United have to beat these diving cunts for the good of football!
Can't believe people tolerate a bunch of cheating pussies so much. Any score will do. Even a 1-0 with Chicarito poaching a last minute tap-in will do me fine!
Come on United!!!

RaGe_pt

I'm hyped for this game! I'm a fan of Barça style of play, to me they are the best team playing in the world, their attacking and defending processes are the best I've seen and they are an inspiration to me. Though I also like the style of Alex Ferguson, the way he takes the most outta his players, he is really an amazing coach. Manchester has a good chance of defeating Barça but it won't be easy. They'll have to defend by attacking in my opinion and they might try to explore the wings and provide Chicharito and Rooney with good balls.
Anyway, I just want to watch a great match of football and at the end of the game I'll know which team will lose against my FC Porto in August on the Supercup :p xD

2San

Tim the Wiz said:
lolwut

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xT7eP_gqszk/TVPR0GDNB4I/AAAAAAAABc8/BCwBBp9xeas/s1600/manchester+united+-1968.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I think he's talking from a barca perspective. ;)

Sleepy

Nice OP! Go Red Devils. I wore my jersey out yesterday, but no one said a word to me. I swear America is a soccer wasteland.

RustyO

@xintin: Nice one!

Man Utd 2-1 Barca (Chicharito, Messi, Park)

I'm just hoping to get a good game that isn't dominated by Barca's histrionics or the ref, or via "tika taka" (if thats what passing the ball back and forth between your defenders is called)

Tim the Wiz said:
Was talking about Barça, although I notice now it could mislead someone I was talking about both lol

EDIT: Chart stolen from Marca showing just how good both teams have been in Champions in the last 20 years:
PH8DC.png

Blue/top is Barça, Red/bottom is Manchester. Labels in spanish (Champion, Finalist, Semifinalist, 1/4, 1/8, Previous phase).

Pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom