• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 UEFA Champions League Final |OT| Barcelona vs Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
iNvidious01 said:
im in the mood for some fifa

Get ready for the army of Barcelonas.

I was thinking of picking up FIFA 11 (I'm stuck playing WC2010), but it's probably too late now and I should just wait for 12.

WJD said:
Fucking heat breaking.

carbon copy of rome

Yeah, we were always going to be chasing, but reminiscent of Rome, some inattentive defending at times removed the chance of a real comeback (see: Evra on the first and second goal). 19 will have to be the consolation this season - at least it's a pretty good consolation.

Keio

For a Finer World
ABIDAL!

BBC said:
It is believed, by the way, that Eric Abidal will lift the trophy for Barca. What a cracking touch that would be after his trials with illness this season.
BBC said:
It is indeed Eric Abidal to receive the trophy for Barcelona... and Wembley goes ballistic as the Frenchman lifts the glorious piece of silverware above his head, the Barca fans' celebrations aided by an eruption of fireworks. Fantastic moments.

RustyO

Congratulations to Barcelona

Fair play to them, clearly the better team, the best in the world, and it doesn't hurt having the best player in the world either.

They easily played the better game with some sublime movements, touches and passages of play.

As bitter as it was to watch, it was a joy as well.

Disappointed at the first and second goals, poor defending on the first by Evra, and giving Messi that kind of space / not closing him down for the second?

Sweet finish by Rooney after a nice move, but an even better top drawer finish by Villa. That was a lovely goal. (But damn, clear the ball out of your box)

How does Messi find so much space? I can see how he makes space when he has the ball as he's so awesome, but he just wanders off on his own and no one picks him up (see 2nd goal)

Disappointed with some of the selections, Valencia was crap, can't believe he played the whole 90, at the very least expected him off at half time.

Looked like Fergie just gave up after 70 minutes and just thought 'I'll throw on ginger for old times sake'. Nani should have been on a lot earlier, if not from the start.

Anyway, just excuses, best team in the world played awesome, and fully deserved it.

NoRéN

sazabirules said:
Barcelona was great. Chicarito was invisible for a good portion of the match. I wish Berbatov had been playing in his place.
Sorry if I missed it but, why was Berbatov not even on the bench?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
NoRéN said:
Sorry if I missed it but, why was Berbatov not even on the bench?

I'm not sure. Not on good terms with SAF?

Park seemed like he was the only midfielder trying for MU during the first half.

ElyrionX

WJD said:
don't let the goal fool you. we were worse if anything.

Wasn't the goal. Maybe my memory of Rome is hazy but I thought we had slightly more possession and control today.

Many players did have such a bad game though. Giggs, Valencia, Carrick and Evra were terrible.

Empty

Tim the Wiz said:
More-so Barcelona being better. They weren't pressing as they do now back then.

the way they killed our ability to get the ball forwards properly from defense after barca's attacks broke down, and in turn much of ability to work on the counter, through their relentless and targeted pressing was amazing.

Fëanor

No shame in losing against the best team in the world.

I just didn't think Manchester United was going to win, and chicharito didn't have much to work with, but that's happen when you are a poacher I suppose.

Nice goal by Ecuador.

WJD

ElyrionX said:
Wasn't the goal. Maybe my memory of Rome is hazy but I thought we had slightly more possession and control today.

Many players did have such a bad game though. Giggs, Valencia, Carrick and Evra were terrible.

We had 48% possession in Rome.

Barca were a lot better this time round too, as people have said.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Regulus Tera said:
I'm not even gonna dignify that with a serious comment. :lol
Come on, Javier Cortes is one of the best young Mexican players atm. :) At least he's playing the Copa America.

Moobabe

herod said:
shameful stat for Man U tbh.

I'm not sure it is shameful. I appreciate this Barca side certainly - but you can do 1000 sideways passes between Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta and go nowhere.

ElyrionX

Hmmm. We had 48% possession in Rome? That seems a lot higher than what it felt like.

Anyway, what I don't understand is why our midfield just collapsed like that and didn't close down the spaces. so much space was given to Barca. Everyone except Park was standing back to let Barca do their thing.

Also, I'm very disappointed by Giggs. Being the experienced one on the field, he should have rallied the team. Him stopping for a handball in the penalty area like that and so late in the game was absolutely ridiculous. Maybe the whole Imogen thing really affected him quite badly.

1300 posts in one day, football fans on GAF are awesome.

Anyway massive congratulations to Barca and their fans, by far the best team today and considering that we are probably the third or second best team in Europe this season it is very scary just how good you are. I know people complained about what happened during the semi-final but honestly it is irrelevant and the last five years have been Barca's, Johan Cruyff started something special. We gave it a good try but their was a clear gap in the quality of our team to theirs, maybe our team in 08 was the last great side to have stood a chance against this Barca side. But when you beat Mourinho so comprehensively(would have done it last year had they bought Villa instead of Ibra), Fergie twice, Chelsea, Arsenal and every great side in Europe then you truly are the best. Also very nice to see Abidal lift the trophy.

To the United fans on this board I will just like to remind you of how bad we thought our team was in December and how we couldn't believe we were still unbeaten. I can't remember who said it but someone said our central midfield would get destroyed by Xavi and Iniesta and it did but to have come so close to a treble and won our 19th league title with a team that is still in transition after the departure of Ronaldo, Tevez and Hargreaves is a massive achievement. With Pogba, Morrison, De Gea, Da Silvas, Chicharito etc at the club I'm sure we will continue our great success in Europe for a long time.

Also I've heard Berba left the stadium just like Ruud did in '05, probably means he will go which I will be sad to see. I've always admired his style and it is unfortunate he couldn't ever really hit the ground running here.

markao

The first 10 minutes it look like a match, after that there was only one winner and Barcelona fully deserved the win.

There is no way, extreme luck a side, you will beat this Barca the way ManU played. With Messi dropping in to midfield and neither of the two centre backs picking up someone else, with even numbers you will struggle let alone being outnumbered in midfield.

Fully enjoyed the match and most important for our sport, after some silly semi's/Wc final, it was a fantastic showcase and advert for the game I love!

anonnumber6 said:
1300 posts in one day, football fans on GAF are awesome.

Anyway massive congratulations to Barca and their fans, by far the best team today and considering that we are probably the third or second best team in Europe this season it is very scary just how good you are. I know people complained about what happened during the semi-final but honestly it is irrelevant and the last five years have been Barca's, Johan Cruyff started something special. We gave it a good try but their was a clear gap in the quality of our team to theirs, maybe our team in 08 was the last great side to have stood a chance against this Barca side. But when you beat Mourinho so comprehensively(would have done it last year had they bought Villa instead of Ibra), Fergie twice, Chelsea, Arsenal and every great side in Europe then you truly are the best. Also very nice to see Abidal lift the trophy.

To the United fans on this board I will just like to remind you of how bad we thought our team was in December and how we couldn't believe we were still unbeaten. I can't remember who said it but someone said our central midfield would get destroyed by Xavi and Iniesta and it did but to have come so close to a treble and won our 19th league title with a team that is still in transition after the departure of Ronaldo, Tevez and Hargreaves is a massive achievement. With Pogba, Morrison, De Gea, Da Silvas, Chicharito etc at the club I'm sure we will continue our great success in Europe for a long time.

Also I've heard Berba left the stadium just like Ruud did in '05, probably means he will go which I will be sad to see. I've always admired his style and it is unfortunate he couldn't ever really hit the ground running here.

Good post.

I barely expected to make the semis this year. This Barca side is too strong for pretty much any side on their day. We'll be better next year.

Lunchbox

Banned
sad the seasons over until august and theres no world cup this year like 2010 :( this summer blows

this loss doesnt really hurt like 09 when we had the best team in the world. the current team overachieved this season by winning the league and reaching this far, so no shame in that. expected to lose 2-0 but atleast rooney got one back kept the game alive until half time. midfield just ran out of steam in the later stages, but it is what it is

now lets get modric !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom