• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 UEFA Champions League Final |OT| Barcelona vs Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
Judderman said:
Puyol's starting the game on the bench, Mascherano starting as CB and Abidal as LB.
Is Puyol injured? Mascherano vindicated after starting the season on the bench. I thought he was going to end up like Hleb to be honest.

xintin

Charred Greyface said:
Is Puyol injured? Mascherano vindicated after starting the season on the bench. I thought he was going to end up like Hleb to be honest.
Injured yeah, struggled through warmups yesterday apparently.

Rad-

rodvik said:
Owen over Berba? SAF has balls of steel.... or he has lost his marbles.

There's probably something we don't know about. Like Owen being much more motivated for the match than Berba. Or maybe Berba injury.

Scum

1-1 after 90mins
0-0 after ET
Man Utd win 4-3 on pens. van der Sar saves crucial pen and earns epic send off...

ColR100

Again, I think the Owen choice is purely because he's more clinical in-front of goal. You'd put your house on him to score in a 1 on 1 situation, not so much Berbatov.

3 - Three of Barcelona's four Champions League defeats under Pep Guardiola have come when Puyol wasn't in the starting XI. Gamble

rodvik

ColR100 said:
I'm now scared, that's the emotion that has set in. Too much pro Barca discussion on Sky Sports.

Just remember how Barca got here. Without the diving and the ref decisions it could have been very different. This is one game, anything can happen. ManU are the underdogs for sure but they are coming into form at the right moment.

Last post in this thread.

I'm glad it is Barca we are playing, such a good team and they are more than just a club. I would not begrudge them victory but winning it today would be something special.

rodvik

ColR100 said:
Again, I think the Owen choice is purely because he's more clinical in-front of goal. You'd put your house on him to score in a 1 on 1 situation, not so much Berbatov.

True, and Owen is an epic troll and so could get a Barca player sent off :) I find SAFs handling of Berba very odd. The guy was a goal machine for the first half of the season and then SAF benched him. Weird.

Error said:
I don't know why I have this feeling that Barcelona is going to lose.
I have the same feeling. I'm not really a fan of either teams because I am quite new (more like returning) to football.

I can see this ending in penalties.

Brinbe

Alright, had a nice two-hours of basketball, had a relaxing shower, have some snacks and drinks at the ready. Let's fucking do this!

rodvik

CaptYamato said:
I have the same feeling. I'm not really a fan of either teams because I am quite new (more like returning) to football.

I can see this ending in penalties.

Nah, I think you will see a good game. Enjoy getting back into the sport. The only thing that could ruin it is a red card and hopefully we will avoid that.

Todo el campo,
es un clamor,
somos la gente azulgrana,
no importa de donde vengamos,
si del sur o del norte,
eso si, estamos de acuerdo, estamos de acuerdo,
una bandera nos hermana.
Azulgrana al viento,
un grito valiente,
tenemos un nombre,
lo sabe todo el mundo:
Barça!, Barça!, Baaaarça!!!!

article-1211867-051D1A1C000005DC-634_306x366.jpg

Brinbe

MPW said:
wtf?

if i was berba, i hand in a transfer request regardless if man utd wins or loses

fergie to berba: FU
Why is that a surprise? Berbs hasn't started in big games for a while, and he's not right for it anyway. He'll come on later if needed.

And smh @ this getting the Fox Football music.

MPW

Dark Machine said:

he's not even in the starting 11

i am very surprised with this decision ... i pick 60% puyol over 100% masch

Brinbe said:
Why is that a surprise? Berbs hasn't started in big games for a while, and he's not right for it anyway. He'll come on later if needed.

he's not even one of the subs

ColR100

If, as Uefa hopes, tonight's Champions League Final draws a television audience of around 400m it would be the biggest ever for a sporting event between two clubs, more than doubling the figure that watched last year's final between Inter Milan and Bayern Munich. These are the sort of viewing figures only matched by the World Cup Final and an Olympic opening ceremony.

Nice little stat there.

Tristam

I just noticed Park is in the starting line-up. He's a solid midfielder and has a fantastic work-rate, but I feel he lacks confidence at this level. He played poorly and missed United's best opportunity in the same match-up in 2009.

EDIT: But Barca's hurting the worst I think since Masch is in over Puyol.

liger05

Barca to win 3 - 1. No puyol but they have played without him before and the side keeps the ball so well Masherano won't be exposed too much.

Possession is king and man utd's midfield will not be able to handle the Barcelona pressing.

rodvik

Looking at the bench though maybe it looks like SAF is going to pack the midfield and assumes he is going to fatigue them rather than the forwards?

The idea of "Big game Red card" Scholes coming on is a bit scary though...

mokeyjoe

Brinbe said:

And smh @ this getting the Fox Football music.

Er, he won't if he's not on the bench...

Brinbe

mokeyjoe said:
Er, he won't if he's not on the bench...
Oh, didn't see the subs-list, just got in. That is a surprise. Not even gonna bother speculating on the reasons why, but in SAF, I trust.

Lunchbox

Banned
wish berba was on the bench instead of anderson

but i guess sir alex knows the midfield battle will be more intense so i guess fletcher, scholes and anderson are there for fresh legs to chase the ball later one. wouldnt doubt seeing all three being on the pitch around 70 mins mark going 4-5-1

gray_fox224

Who's watching this on the Fox Network in the United States? I can't believe they went all out with a pre-game show and special guest analysts. Even Strahan is there.

MPW said:
he's not even in the starting 11

i am very surprised with this decision ... i pick 60% puyol over 100% masch

If he's not fit then he'll get exposed by the pea and Rooney's passes. Mascherano may be a volatile dickhead, but he's quick enough to keep the pea in check. At least I hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom