• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

Fjordson

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...2/emmanuel-mudiay-signs-12-million-deal-china

Honestly, Im surprised more guys that already have planned they will still only 1 year before entering the draft dont do this or even the go play in the NBDL for a year, although Mudiay going to make a million and i think the minimum salary for NBDL is only 17500.
I think because it's not all that easy. Brandon Jennings has said before that it was a shitty experience and that he would advise against it. You aren't some big star coming into the premiere league in the world, flying first class everywhere and staying at least relatively close to home. Going to Europe, a kid is immediately on his own and asked to be an adult. And there's also the culture barrier with language and certain customs.

If the NBA does somehow change it to a two year old or some other sort of increase then I definitely think more kids will try it, but I doubt it will ever be a significant number.

Also, make no mistake, part of what motivated Mudiay's decision was almost certainly eligibility issues. That Prime Prep school he went to has had a ton academic and eligibility problems.

Bowser

Kennedy Meeks - then and now:

t9WZlhx.png

What a difference a year with Jonas makes...

Fjordson

I'm happy for him. He seems like a good dude.

Y'all should look up his interviews from last year's McDonald's All American game on YouTube, they're great. Have to imagine he'll be in broadcasting after his playing days are over.

iamblades

After watching Tyler Ulis for 2 games, I think UK missing out on Mudiay may just have been the best thing to happen to us in recruiting in the last decade.

Having a steady floor general for the next 4 years who makes great decisions is just going to make everyone else so much better. It's the one thing we've never really had, as good as our point guards have been.

As a freshman going up against grown men and professionals and looking completely in control, super impressive.

Fjordson

After watching Tyler Ulis for 2 games, I think UK missing out on Mudiay may just have been the best thing to happen to us in recruiting in the last decade.

Having a steady floor general for the next 4 years who makes great decisions is just going to make everyone else so much better. It's the one thing we've never really had, as good as our point guards have been.

As a freshman going up against grown men and professionals and looking completely in control, super impressive.
Yeah man, I'm a little shocked by how good we look. Trying to keep my excitement in check :lol

I also love that the Harrison twins are slimmer and in better shape. They look much faster and Aaron is actually finishing above the rim. Should help boost their perimeter D as well. Quick guards gave us trouble last year, but they look better these last two games.

iamblades

Yeah man, I'm a little shocked by how good we look. Trying to keep my excitement in check :lol

I also love that the Harrison twins are slimmer and in better shape. They look much faster and Aaron is actually finishing above the rim. Should help boost their perimeter D as well. Quick guards gave us trouble last year, but they look better these last two games.

The thing that makes me most hyped is that this team has shown none of the ball stopping ISO that last year's team struggled with for the first 2/3rds of the season. For the most part, the ball has been hopping non stop. There were a couple possessions in that game yesterday that looked like the Spurs.

The thing about that is that that is one thing that should't be affected by the level of competition in these scrims.

The other thing I like about the performance in these scrims so far is that while these teams are obviously not the most skilled or athletic teams UK will play all year, they are still grown men, and have been playing plenty physical, and none of our guys have backed down from the physicality in any way. When this game was getting chippy midway through the first half, they just turned around and went 'that's how you want it?' and proceeded to throw down like 5 oop dunks in a row.

Fjordson

The thing that makes me most hyped is that this team has shown none of the ball stopping ISO that last year's team struggled with for the first 2/3rds of the season. For the most part, the ball has been hopping non stop. There were a couple possessions in that game yesterday that looked like the Spurs.

The thing about that is that that is one thing that should't be affected by the level of competition in these scrims.

The other thing I like about the performance in these scrims so far is that while these teams are obviously not the most skilled or athletic teams UK will play all year, they are still grown men, and have been playing plenty physical, and none of our guys have backed down from the physicality in any way. When this game was getting chippy midway through the first half, they just turned around and went 'that's how you want it?' and proceeded to throw down like 5 oop dunks in a row.
Yep. Ulis got demolished by their center on a blindside screen coming up the court. Was holding his head for a second, thought he was injured, but we got the rebound and he pushed it up the court and threw a nice lob to Marcus Lee. Definitely like that they haven't backed down physically.

And I also like the ball movement. I think we tried to force the offense through Randle too much last year and Andrew wasn't completely confident running things. Now with the offense really going through the guards first and foremost and an improved Andrew the ball is moving better.

That's when Cal's teams have been at their best imo. Not that we haven't had great big men, and we do need to feed the post sometimes, but guys like John Wall, Brandon Knight, Teague, etc. When we've been really good over the past few years I think it was when the guards were stepping up and initiating most things offensively.

iamblades

Yep. Ulis got demolished by their center on a blindside screen coming up the court. Was holding his head for a second, thought he was injured, but we got the rebound and he pushed it up the court and threw a nice lob to Marcus Lee. Definitely like that they haven't backed down physically.

And I also like the ball movement. I think we tried to force the offense through Randle too much last year and Andrew wasn't completely confident running things. Now with the offense really going through the guards first and foremost and an improved Andrew the ball is moving better.

That's when Cal's teams have been at their best imo. Not that we haven't had great big men, and we do need to feed the post sometimes, but guys like John Wall, Brandon Knight, Teague, etc. When we've been really good over the past few years I think it was when the guards were stepping up and initiating most things offensively.

Well part of what has been impressive has been that second lineup with towns/willis/lee in the frontcourt. Not just the point guard passing. When you have a lineup like that second group with 5 great willing passers, it becomes really hard to guard for a full possession. The question becomes whether that kind of lineup can defend at a high level, or whether we can mix and match.

Not that Andrew hasn't improved greatly...

Fjordson

Well part of what has been impressive has been that second lineup with towns/willis/lee in the frontcourt. Not just the point guard passing. When you have a lineup like that second group with 5 great willing passers, it becomes really hard to guard for a full possession. The question becomes whether that kind of lineup can defend at a high level, or whether we can mix and match.

Not that Andrew hasn't improved greatly...
That's true, even the big guys are passing well. Towns especially. Dude can ball.

Texas has a tough non-conference road game slate this season. @ Kentucky, @ U-Conn, and @ Iowa.

ESPN posted this season's schedules for most teams btw. Less than 2 months from opening day! ( Nov. 14 )

Fjordson

Dyin' @ that dramatic article. Impermissible benefits :lol

Bxw_AdHCYAA2rmz.jpg

I ain't on top of my slang like I once was, but I'm guessing he's talking blunts? Still not the best look, just not exactly revelatory coming from Doron. Love the guy, but he's averaging an impressive 3.3 points per game in the league.

Fjordson

So no one gonna comment on Woj going in dry on K and Team USA?

Not even a peep? I thought you UK fans would have been all over that one.
Eh, I think Woj was a bit unfair.

It is a recruiting advantage, but Coach K has kinda earned it. He's lost what, one game as Team USA coach? I do think it's an advantage, but not necessarily an unfair one if that makes sense.

The other stuff about how ESPN deifies Coach K and the fluff pieces like the West Point showcase and all the gushing about Coach K does go way overboard, but I think ESPN takes some of the blame for that.

Wojnarowski might be great at what he does in the NBA, but that article read like sour grapes. For the first several years of Coach K's involvement with Team USA, it was widely thought that it was hurting Duke, not helping. They started to get some one-and-dones with Irving, but in reality, they've had 3 one-and-done players (not counting anyone from this year) since Coach K took over Team USA: Irving, Rivers, and Parker. Okafor and Jones might do it this year, but other programs have had many, many more.

He also talked about how Duke has practically "buried" Carolina in this time. Again, it wasn't very long ago when Carolina looked like they were burying Duke. National titles in 2005 and 2009. Harrison Barnes choosing UNC over Duke seemed huge at the time. It was one more big recruiting loss for Duke. It turned out that Duke won the title that same season, and looked poised for another run if not for the Irving injury the next year, but up until then, Carolina had the clear advantage on the court and in recruiting.

Yes, Duke has had some recent successes, including this year's great class. It's not K's first great class, but it is certainly his best since he's been with Team USA. Conversely, he's had many years where he's had maybe one decent prospect in a class. He has one great recruiting haul and now Team USA is a decided advantage? Really?

Finally, OK, he made a trip out to speak to the U-19 team. Talked to the players for a few minutes. Who coached that team? Who coached all the other U-19 teams? Do those coaches have an unfair advantage?

There were more points in that article that can be debunked, but my rant is long enoguh already. Woj, you do good work, but your article this time read quite hollow.

jakncoke

Banned

lol, last year they averaged 6,389 in a 8,117 capacity arena. So yeah "limited" is definitely a stretch for a program that is the only power conference team to never dance

lol NJIT was last in attendance last year 489 a game average over 15 games. Sure their arena is only 1500 capacity, still funny.

Bowser

Changes to ESPN's CBB coverage:

It’s the end of an era for Saturday night college basketball games at ESPN, as the network has made the decision to replace analyst Dick Vitale with Jay Bilas, Inside Blitz can exclusively report.

According to multiple sources close to the show, ESPN recently made the decision to promote Bilas to calling the Saturday night game in addition to extending his contract with the network through 2023. Vitale had been calling the Saturday primetime games with Dan Shulman since 2005, when they debuted.

An ESPN spokesman had no comment.

The Saturday primetime change makes sense for Bilas, since he’s already on site for Gameday, a show he’s been part of since it was created nine years ago.

For longtime fans of the ebullient Vitale, don’t worry, he’s not going anywhere. He’s still going to call college basketball games all season for ESPN, and he too had his contract extended (to 2017), a source at ESPN tells us.

As has been documented here, there are several changes coming to ESPN’s college basketball coverage this season. Former Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun has been added to the ESPN roster to provide analysis, and so have former coaches Stan Heath and Craig Robinson. Former Duke star Shane Battier is going to be part of ESPN’s college basketball coverage this season, too.

And Gameday is shaking up the set: Out with Jalen Rose and Digger Phelps, in with Seth Greenberg and Jay Williams. ESPN confirmed that yesterday. There’s one more wrinkle to the show: Instead of announcing the sites in the preseason, ESPN announced it will do what College Football’s Gameday does – make a decision each week based on games that matter most or have the best storyline.

So when Duke is unbeaten in January, and travels to Louisville on the 17th, Gameday will almost certainly be there, even though there’s a chance they’ll have been at a Louisville game the week prior, when the Cardinals play at UNC. All three of those teams should be in the Top 15 all season.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/10/01/inside-blitz-jay-bilas-primetime-dick-vitale-espn/

Dickie V couldn't color commentate for shit, but unlike a lot of people here I'll miss his iconic phrases and reactions to big plays.

Texas will actually be pretty stacked this year. We won't start with a top 25 ranking but I bet we finish with one, which is rare with Rick Barnes but we'll see

Fjordson

I like Dickie V a lot, but this is probably the right move at this point. And Bilas is quite good.

Dickie V couldn't color commentate for shit, but unlike a lot of people here I'll miss his iconic phrases and reactions to big plays.

Texas will actually be pretty stacked this year. We won't start with a top 25 ranking but I bet we finish with one, which is rare with Rick Barnes but we'll see
I actually think Texas will be ranked to start, seen multiple pre-season polls with them in the top 10. They've got a lot of good pieces this year.

Our game at Rupp should be epic. Lots of great frontcourt players between the two teams.

jakncoke

Banned
This is why i stay in the dark as much as possible. idk why I decided to look up Pitt news today but fuck. Just realized we lost Maverick Rowan and that Mustafa Heron was recruited by someone who is now at Kentucky so we could very lose him to them as well or someone else. 2016 class going from great for Pittsburgh to flames.

iamblades

As silly as it is, these combine measurements are getting me even more excited about the season.

Hawkins has a 44.5 inch vertical, who knew our 12th man is one of the best athletes on the planet.

Also Poythress's numbers were off the charts for someone his size, but we all knew that. Hopefully this convinces people he isn't a tweener at the next level, he is more than athletic enough to be a 3. All he needs to do it master the corner 3, which should be perfectly doable, it's not like he has an MKG level broken jumper (though worth noting MKG didn't shoot that way while he was here either, I dunno what happened there).

Also I know Dakari is in way better shape, but 34 inch vertical? If that number is legit he will be unstoppable down low.

UK football is one win away from bowl eligibility also.. good times.

Top Bottom