• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

andycapps

Georgia Tech is losing sophomore Robert Carter (11.4 pts, 8.3 rebs) to transfer.

http://georgiatech.247sports.com/Bolt/Robert-Carter-leaving-Georgia-Tech-28625195
Related note, Georgia Tech refused to allow Robert Carter to talk to Georgia. Seems petty, but obviously their choice. Georgia doesn't restrict players from going to any other school.

But apparently that transfer will not be Robert Carter, who is leaving Georgia Tech after two seasons. Georgia was one of the finalists for Carter, a post player, out of high school, and was interested in recruiting him again. But Georgia Tech has denied Georgia the permission to contact Carter, Georgia athletics director Greg McGarity confirmed.

Fox asked UGA's compliance office to contact their counterparts at Georgia Tech to secure permission. When it was denied, McGarity called Georgia Tech athletics director Mike Bobinski, who did not relent.

"It's just a philosophical difference," McGarity said. "It's disappointing. Life is too short."

Bobinski told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the decision was made because the Yellow Jackets play the Bulldogs every year.

The only way Carter could end up on scholarship at Georgia now would be if he paid his own way this next year. But that only happens in rare cases, though it did with one of Fox's former players at Nevada: When Fox left for Georgia, Malik Cooke transferred to South Carolina, and paid his own way for a year before going on scholarship for his final two seasons. Nevada had declined to give Cooke a full release.

Wiggins' bunnies are off the charts literally

BntGK0_IQAAmHJt.jpg

#BlackBoyFly

Clemson gonna Clemson, I guess.

Brad Brownell gets 6-year deal

I'm just going to have to say I don't quite understand. I mean, so they haven't been terrible, but 6 years? They made the NCAA once under the guy, and that was 3 years ago. NIT semi-finals this year, though. Let someone go 3 years without reaching the NCAA at most schools and that's grounds for dismissal, not a six year extension. Now I'm not saying Clemson is most schools and they should expect the NCAA every year, but I'm also not saying they should extend a guy 6 years for being merely average, either.

Talon

Clemson gonna Clemson, I guess.

Brad Brownell gets 6-year deal

I'm just going to have to say I don't quite understand. I mean, so they haven't been terrible, but 6 years? They made the NCAA once under the guy, and that was 3 years ago. NIT semi-finals this year, though. Let someone go 3 years without reaching the NCAA at most schools and that's grounds for dismissal, not a six year extension. Now I'm not saying Clemson is most schools and they should expect the NCAA every year, but I'm also not saying they should extend a guy 6 years for being merely average, either.
lol Clemson

thefro

https://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/...ll-star-rashad-mccants-says-took-sham-classes

Rashad McCants, the second-leading scorer on the North Carolina basketball team that won the 2004-05 national title, told ESPN's "Outside the Lines" that tutors wrote his term papers, he rarely went to class for about half his time at UNC, and he remained able to play largely because he took bogus classes designed to keep athletes academically eligible.

McCants told "Outside the Lines" that he could have been academically ineligible to play during the championship season had he not been provided the assistance. Further, he said head basketball coach Roy Williams knew about the "paper-class" system at UNC. The so-called paper classes didn't require students to go to class; rather, students were required to submit only one term paper to receive a grade.

McCants also told "Outside the Lines" that he even made the Dean's List in Spring 2005 despite not attending any of his four classes for which he received straight-A grades. He said advisers and tutors who worked with the basketball program steered him to take the paper classes within the African-American Studies program.

McCants said he was headed toward ineligibility during the championship season because he had failed algebra and psychology, which accounted for half of his credits, in the fall of 2004. He had two A's in AFAM classes in addition to the F's. He said coach Roy Williams informed him of his academic troubles during a meeting ahead of the spring semester.

"There was a slight panic on my part ... [he] said, you know, we're going to be able to figure out how to make it happen, but you need to buckle down on your academics."

He said Williams told him "we're going to be able to change a class from, you know, your summer session class and swap it out with the class that you failed, just so the GPA could reflect that you are in good standing."

McCants ended up in four AFAM classes in the following semester, earning straight A's. He said he didn't know what Williams was getting at with the summer school class replacement reference, and he never talked with Williams about it again. The transcripts show he had received one A in an AFAM class in the summer of 2004.

"I remained eligible to finish out and win the championship, his first championship, and everything was peaches and cream," McCants said.

Wow, this is pretty bad for North Carolina

Bowser

The never ending story. Apparently the university has been aware about this for over a month. Other members of '05 team have apparently met to discuss a response. Rumor is Marvin Williams is most pissed off about this as he has been working towards his degree for 9+ years coming back every summer.

At this point though, it doesn't matter. Damage is done.

Some UNC reactions:

Dexter Strickland ‏@DStrick01 2m
It's sad how people will do anything for notoriety!

Kareem Martin ‏@reemthedream_95 15m
Every week it seems like an athlete comes out and bashes the University, blaming everybody but themselves.

Even Julius Hodge is defending us!

Julius Hodge ‏@Follow24Hodge 5m
@BDAHT he a real punk for this. All for attention. I didn't see the interview and I KNOW he lying. That's who he is.

Julius Hodge @Follow24Hodge
As much as I delight in minimal anguish for UNC.. This dude McCants is a certified "nut job". Anyone who knows him know that #dontbelievehim

chris121580

McCants was such a waste of talent. He could've been so good. He's just looking to get in the spotlight. I have no doubt some of that goes on but I don't think to the extent that he mentions in the article

Bowser

Roy's response:

Our players have been deeply hurt over the last couple of years, and again today, by the comments and innuendo concerning their academic achievements. The young men who accepted scholarships to play basketball at this University have done so expecting a world-class basketball experience, in addition to a world-class education. Obviously, we pride ourselves on being one of the top basketball programs in the country, but equally important, in helping our players grow academically and socially, as we promised their parents we would.

Our student-athletes understand the value of a degree from the University of North Carolina and accept their academic responsibilities in earning that degree. They take seriously their efforts to, in some cases, become the first member of their families to graduate from college.

I love them for all they have meant to UNC and to me, and I will continue to believe in and support them.

With respect to the comments made today, I strongly disagree with what Rashad (McCants) has said. In no way did I know about or do anything close to what he says and I think the players whom I have coached over the years will agree with me. I have spent 63 years on this earth trying to do things the right way and the picture he portrays is not fair to the University or me.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Take his jersey down. Julius fucking Hodge is more a Tar Heel than McCants is at this point.

I don't know if McCants is lying or not, his word is certainly suspect. But coupled with the whole Mary Willingham thing, the previous insinuations about Wayne Waldon and the football mess prior to all of this, its a bad deal for UNC.

There are some who believe that if the AFAM studies scandal began and ended with Roy, the university would have allowed him to resign or retire with as much dignity as they could hope. There are those who believe it goes back a bit farther, and UNC isn't about to let that happen, and neither is any UNC alum in a position of power to mitigate it or the NC media.

Its a damn mess for sure, and not much good is going to come of it, either way.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Meh, a crazy ex-player ranting on academic fraud can only hurt the credibility of the allegations.

Well keep in mind, they said similar things about this guy

canseco1.jpg

Just because the source has credibility issues, doesn't mean its not true. Doesn't mean it is either. At least here in NC, the media will use McCants loose cannon reputation to refute and ignore anything he says.

mbmonk

This thread has the exact reaction to McCants as I expected. This is the text book definition of Ad Hominem in this thread.

Crazy... Liar.. etc.

Refute his argument, don't attack the person making the argument.

This thread has the exact reaction to McCants as I expected. This is the text book definition of Ad Hominem in this thread.

Crazy... Liar.. etc.

Refute his argument, don't attack the person making the argument.

Can't blame em. You know we'd be doing the same if it was UK.

iamblades

Regardless of whether McCants is 'crazy' or has an axe to grind, his transcript backs up his story 100%.

The only thing that he says that there isn't hard evidence for is the fact the Roy himself knew what was going on, which according to the NCAA in previous cases is completely irrelevant anyway.

That said, the NCAA has made it perfectly clear that they intend on completely ignoring this story no matter what comes out, so I wouldn't be too worried if I was a UNC fan.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Regardless of whether McCants is 'crazy' or has an axe to grind, his transcript backs up his story 100%.

The only thing that he says that there isn't hard evidence for is the fact the Roy himself knew what was going on, which according to the NCAA in previous cases is completely irrelevant anyway.

That said, the NCAA has made it perfectly clear that they intend on completely ignoring this story no matter what comes out, so I wouldn't be too worried if I was a UNC fan.
I know they desperately want to ignore it as much as possible. The fallout for doing so, may be the tipping point for the super conferences to break away from the organization. Ohio State and USC have to be furious considering the penalties they've been hit with for much less.

Fjordson

@WojYahooNBA Sources: Before finalizing UK extension, Calipari weighed 7-year, $60M package w/ Cavs
Oh Jesus my heart. I just read "Calipari 60m w/ Cavs".

Media is usually clueless about this stuff, but Wojo doesn't fuck around. That's scary. Thank the gods UK brought some serious cash to the table.

He should've taken the money and run IMO
rTnN9yp.png

Regarding McCants, it's clearly an attention grab and its pretty damn low for him to sell out Roy and the program like that.

But let's be real, did no one think it was even a little fishy that Rashad McCants was a straight A/A- student at UNC? Rashad Fucking McCants

Fjordson

Eh, it makes sense when you think about it. He'll make more money at UK than at a shitty team like the Cavs. The coach is the first to go when a team is bad in the NBA and Cleveland is super bad. He'd never get through even half of a contract there.

But if he was even considering Cleveland for a minute then it's a bit worrying for when actual good NBA jobs open up in the next few years.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
He should've taken the money and run IMO
rTnN9yp.png

Regarding McCants, it's clearly an attention grab and its pretty damn low for him to sell out Roy and the program like that.

But let's be real, did no one think it was even a little fishy that Rashad McCants was a straight A/A- student at UNC? Rashad Fucking McCants

Not to mention its consistent with what already happened with Michael McAdoo on the football team. If the NCAA really wanted to pursue this (they're not touching the sacred cow) then UNC would be pretty boned. As it is, I'm still expecting to see Wayne Walden's body fished out of a pond in Texas somewhere.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So former UNC football player Duenta Williams had some things to say (he was in the Butch Davis era)

" Everybody knows what was going on with the football program , we weren't even ranked, much less top 5 (like basketball). (*laughs). What do you think was going on with those guys?
There are a lot more guys that are about to speak out about this issue soon. A lot more bitter. The University would be better off to stop defending themselves and get in front of this before these guys (ex-athletes) speak out

I pray for forgiveness for those that harmed us " " Im not as bitter as some guys. I hope these fans someday forgive me too, but the truth is the truth

Nobody wants to be deemed a snitch in calling out basketball. We all have to face the truth and judgement at the end of the day." " The truth will come to light "

Some of my ex- football teammates and working horrible jobs right now, cant support their families because weren't given a proper education at UNC " (pushed into no show classes with no value in the real world after making money for UNC on the field/court) " If it helps more guys to speak out..they should do it. Why carry this around on your heart? Whatever makes you feel better

For UNC to acknowledge it happened. Accept responsibility. We made mistakes, let's own it, then make solutions. Cant move on until you accept responsibility to be honest. " " You have nobody at UNC to lean on and tell you the truth as an athlete at that age. NCAA problem. These kids need advice

I don't know what his angle is, but UNC may really be boned regardless. Rumor is now that another Roy era bball player is going to come forward. It would have to be Larry Drew Part 2.

Bowser

Packer asked him: “Are you willing to have a conversation with the folks at North Carolina?”

McCants responded: “The question is what are we talking about, honestly. I mean I have a check being written to me from the University of North Carolina for over $10 million due to the exploitation of me as a player and the lack of education that I received. The NCAA has a check for me for over $300 million to help me facilitate these sports education programs across the country. These are things that’s in the works.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...io-along-with.html#.U7v3B3JdXTo#storylink=cpy

APjuY.gif

Crisco

Banned
""Vince Phillips said Hairston dribbled down the court with his left hand and punched Barkley with his other in the head before driving to the basket."

Like a boss."

Man, I can't wait for the video of this. Potentially one of the funniest things ever.

Fjordson

Wow. I remember being pretty devastated when Calipari whiffed on Mudiay. Now we have Tyler Ulis and sophomore Harrison twins and Mudiay won't even be playing next year. What a lucky break.

I was going to say earlier that if dude committed to Kentucky, he'd be in school. But I'm above that now, so I won't say it.
Eh, I dunno. Enes Kanter was a big prospect, enrolled at UK and everything, but the NCAA got him in the end =[

Mudiay is insisting that it has nothing to do with eligibility, but that Prime Prep school he went to has had issues in the past and lots of shady rumours around it. Just google "Prime Prep issues" and scroll down. Sounds like a total mess.

Wow. I remember being pretty devastated when Calipari whiffed on Mudiay. Now we have Tyler Ulis and sophomore Harrison twins and Mudiay won't even be playing next year. What a lucky break.

Eh, I dunno. Enes Kanter was a big prospect, enrolled at UK and everything, but the NCAA got him in the end =[

Mudiay is insisting that it has nothing to do with eligibility, but that Prime Prep school he went to has had issues in the past and lots of shady rumours around it. Just google "Prime Prep issues" and scroll down. Sounds like a total mess.

Cost UK a likely championship that year.

Duke's non-conference schedule is out.

Sat., Oct. 25: Coutndown to Craziness (midnight madness)
Tues., Nov. 4: Livingstone (exh)
Sat., Nov. 8: Central Missouri (Exh)

Fri., Nov. 14: Presbyterian
Sat., Nov. 15: Fairfield
Tues., Nov. 18: vs Michigan State, Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Indianapolis (Champions Classic)
Fri., Nov. 21: vs. Temple, Barclays Center, Brooklyn (Coaches Vs. Cancer 2K Classic)
Sat., Nov. 22: vs. Stanford or UNLV, Barclays Center, Brooklyn (Coaches Vs. Cancer 2K Classic)
Wed., Nov. 26: Furman
Sun., Nov. 30: Army
Wed., Dec. 3: at Wisconsin (ACC/Big Ten Challenge)
Mon., Dec. 15: Elon
Thurs., Dec. 18: vs. Connecticut, Izod Center, New Jersey
Mon., Dec. 29: Toledo
Wed., Dec. 31: Wofford
Sun., Jan. 25: vs St. John’s, Madison Square Garden

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07...basketball.html?sp=/99/103/119/#storylink=cpy

One true road game, not even their call, because Coach K likes trolling the haters.

Top Bottom