• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Let the JPEG Die Already

0_2013-03-23_000063els3.jpg

0_2013-03-24_00019rmao6.jpg

JPEGs, mang. :(
Virtually no difference when compressed 100% to JPEG. Some extra blurryness is aded depending on the host i think. In my monitor side to side is really hard to tell.

There's more to gain by compressing them and losing a bit of quality but saving massive bandwidth. Just think about it, at 4-5 MB per 1080p PNG we are talking about 400 MB to download a 50 post page more or less. There are people with slow connections still or with bandwidth limits.

Many people can't enjoy this threads because they are bandwidth killers. My opinion is that uncompressed images should be saved for the bullshots thread. Or the amount of PNG's per post should be limited in a new set of rules.

Stallion should seriously cnsider this... that's my humble observation.

Edit: For example, Kylen images are beautiful, they just quickly poped in the browser. His 4 shots were complete while yours were still drawing, not even half. When handled well jpg's are not that bad.
PNGs are compressed.
Doesn't rest merit to what im arguieng. But thanks for your observation. So... Far less compressed then. Still my point is, a revision to the rules should at least be considered.

scitek

Virtually no difference when compressed 100% to JPEG. Some extra blurryness is aded depending on the host i think. In my monitor side to side is really hard to tell.

There's more to gain by compressing them and losing a bit of quality but saving massive bandwidth. Just think about it, at 4-5 MB per 1080p PNG we are talking about 400 MB to download a 50 post page more or less. There are people with slow connections still or with bandwidth limits.

Many people can't enjoy this threads because they are bandwidth killers. My opinion is that uncompressed images should be saved for the bullshots thread. Or the amount of PNG's per post should be limited in a new set of rules.

PNGs are compressed.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Edit: For example, Kylen images are beautiful, they just quickly poped in the browser. His 4 shots were complete while yours were still drawing, not even half. When handled well jpg's are not that bad.

Doesn't rest merit to what im arguieng. But thanks for your observation. So... Far less compressed then. Still my point is, a revision to the rules should at least be considered.

Feel free to start your jpg paradise thread but don't expect everyone else here to change just to accommodate you. This thread has been a yearly thing for 3 or 4 years now with these rules, it's not changing.

iDdBMXl6Co1zs.png

ibfCvwiLr0MSqX.png

Cryengine 3 games can look ugly. In game settings at max, in game AA at max, will try downsampling once I play on my main PC.

ibcE2Th5xqTs13.png

iBAvhucRlsRZu.png

The game is very generic from what little I've played.

antitrop

Those graphics were developed on a $15 budget.

I'm not unconvinced they could have accomplished the same results on CryEngine 1 from 2004. Although that's a bit of an insult to Far Cry.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

There is no rule in the thread that tells you what type of file format to use. People just complain if your shots look compressed and shitty (aka not worth posting or looking at). And there are rules against that.

The thread title is a half-joke, half-truth. New people to the thread ar discouraged from using jpegs because they tend to compress the hell out of them and don't understand how adversely it effects the image.

Feel free to start your jpg paradise thread but don't expect everyone else here to change just to accommodate you. This thread has been a yearly thing for 3 or 4 years now with these rules, it's not changing.
That's incorrect, im trying to acomodate as much people as possible to enjoy this thread. Just because some have the luxury to waste vast amounts of bandwith doesn't mean everyone is on equal footing. I just politely pointed out something that should be considered. There is a bullshot thread for maximun quality after all.

And maybe im wrong, but i think the 2013 is the one where most .PNG's are posted so far.

Anyway, my intend wasn't to offend you Sinatar as you clearly are. So my apologies and carry on with the thread. XD
There is no rule in the thread that tells you what type of file format to use. People just complain if your shots look compressed and shitty (aka not worth posting or looking at). And there are rules against that.

The thread title is a half-joke, half-truth. New people to the thread ar discouraged from using jpegs because they tend to compress the hell out of them and don't understand how adversely it effects the image.
So no way a slight adjustment to the rule set is posible then?

And that's a no. Thanks for your time gentleman.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Thanks for the reply Stallion. So no way a slight adjustment to the rule set is posible then?

Change what rule? I'm not going to change the title and the only rules that exist are against blatant compression that people immediately point out and ugly screens. Those rules aren't getting changed either, I think they are quite reasonable.

2/3

That debonair glare.... it's no question where I focus my screenshots on now. I'm just swooning over her at this point.

8599047157_ecc534e8ec_o.png

My new favorite from this game:

8600146132_a8bb4257e8_o.png

8600757683_22dd68e64b_o.jpg

8600756319_b2ec6b9fcf_o.jpg

So no way a slight adjustment to the rule set is posible then?

And that's a no. Thanks for your time gentleman.

I've posted JPGS in this thread several times, and nobody was the wiser. Cuz... they weren't compressed to shit. If you can post JPGs without people wondering why they look like JPGs, you're fine. I think anyone coming to this thread is aware of the bandwidth they're about to consume, so I'm not sure it's an issue really.

an UE4 Arkham game will look amazing

I just remembered the rumor about a next-gen Arkham game showing up at E3 - I am prepared to be disappointed just in case.

Spazznid

Everything in Bioshock Infinite was sculpted to perfection. I am convinced that no other game will ever be as striking and well executed (Artistically) as that game. Well, except for when Ken (Our Prophet) Levine makes a new game on UE4.

i2VTmuFiQvnLL.png

ibhySCqwedOHfg.png

Spazznid

iieqjqcYOW4Ag.png

ibhVKWTg8bCkIS.png

Bonus: Imagine Ken Levine announcing a Skyrim/GTA-ish game set in one of his worlds, specifically, in Columbia, or a real place with this art style.

Also, I hate that they cancelled the multiplayer, because when my nephew was playing, he realized the loading music sounded familiar and said, "It'd be cool if there was a "The Ship" multiplayer mode with this art style and setting"... So much opportunity.

hlhbk

I don't post screenshots often, I hope these are up to standards in terms of quality and lack of compression. I am open to feedback!

ibeTB2fb4l1hME.bmp

ibj0EVoa0PRibv.bmp

ibxT2n6aCI4KRn.bmp

Darkdeus

Nice Bioshock screens Spazznid but on my monitor it seems like your brightness is really high making the game look very washed out. Might just be on my end though. I would make sure the brightness in game is calibrated on your end at least.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How would I go about supersampling in Bioshock Infinite? I have a Radeon 7970. Never really tried supersampling in games that didn't have an in-game option. Do I just set up a profile in Catalyst or something?

Any help would be appreciated!

Spazznid

How would I go about supersampling in Bioshock Infinite? I have a Radeon 7970. Never really tried supersampling in games that didn't have an in-game option. Do I just set up a profile in Catalyst or something?

Any help would be appreciated!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472941

MY screens do look a bit on the bright side, but I enjoy playing it like that, I see all the little details. Might go in and try with darker settings.

I haven't been here in a while in order to avoid Bioshock Infinite spoilers. I only really have one picture to post as the other one was taken right at the end of the game and I don't want to spoil it for others. I also think I managed to find the only screenshot devoid of any colour in Infinite.

dewittxlziw.png

Top Bottom