• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 PC Bullshot thread of "1 FPS? That's 1 screenshot per second"

Sethos

Banned
I did mess around with that, but I couldn't get the screenshots to work out the way I wanted to. I think there was a UI element I couldn't remove or something. Name plates, I think.

I would go back again and try, but I honestly don't think the game is worth the effort. It looks okay.

You can remove everything, it's the press of a key / button.

svet2013-04-1819-27-118xtn.png

antitrop

Yup, its far easier using the replay function. One button and you're set. Plus, replay mode has freecam, in-game does not.
I'm an idiot, I figured it out. I was using CoDCast instead of the actual replay. It's extremely simple once you're in the right mode. Actually fairly impressive functionality. CoD truly is built all around the multiplayer. It clearly receives the most attention.

I would like to play a good single player Call of Duty again, though. Black Ops II didn't keep my attention, still pretty derivative.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
ds004u.jpg

Dark Souls: cropped + downsized from 2160p. CheatEngine table to alter camera distance from player. Minor 'shopping to increase contrast. Shame about that sword.

Dude. Ace.

Would you mind sharing that Cheat Engine table?

God damn, that is a great screenshot.

Oh god it's still not better... each time I step into this thread and see a Project Cars screenshot I feel a sharp pain running through my mind and a small version of myself sitting on my shoulder yelling "You are a idiot for not buying this when you could!" :( And these Alice screenshots are nice too!

Ah-ha! Deus Ex!

I posted this in another thread, but HUD scaling issues are probably applicable to many games, not just this one:

I recently start playing this again on PC, and I'm downsampling from 2880x1620 on a 42" HDTV. Game looks great, but there's just one small problem...

At this resolution, the HUD elements, scope/zoom and text are unbelievably tiny. This renders (ha! ha!) the game completely unplayable.

Is there a way to scale these elements? Google searches have been fruitless, and it seems nobody actually cares about this issue. I suspect most of the people who posted screenshots just wanted to show off their rigs, and weren't actually playing the game at this res.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, GAF!

Thorgal

alanwake2013-04-1923-71shq.png

Ah-ha! Deus Ex!

I posted this in another thread, but HUD scaling issues are probably applicable to many games, not just this one:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, GAF!

sadly .deus ex is one of those games that doesnt scale the hud to resolution so i don't think you can change that .

altough i also call it a blessing in disguise since the hud at 3200x1800 is nicely in the corner and out of the way on my monitor .

It's unfortunate that Trine's art style is limited to a 2D game. Probably why I've never bothered to screenshot them. Can't really do much in the way of creative\unique screenshots. They are very pretty though.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Honestly, I feel like the Trine games are way too oversaturated with detail. It's like they tried to fit too much visual information in too small of a space so it just looks way too busy.

Honestly, I feel like the Trine games are way too oversaturated with detail. It's like they tried to fit too much visual information in too small of a space so it just looks way too busy.

Yeah I agree, partly why I am put off of playing the game. Did not think the first one was very fun either.

Sethos

Banned
At the risk of getting lambasted for SweetFX, I wanted to post this one. Only because I took the time to get this composition right, and I didn't switch off SweetFX for a vanilla version =(

C'mon, second time now. The rules aren't suggestive.

We have another thread for stuff that doesn't fit in here.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
C'mon, second time now. The rules aren't suggestive.

We have another thread for stuff that doesn't fit in here.

I get that it's not my thread, so I obviously can't force rules or anything, but I feel a discussion of them by the community could at least be worthwhile since this is a thread created for the community. Why the outright ban on SweetFx?

I understand the idea that "More people will abuse it harshly than use it effectively, so we won't allow it at all" but that seems like a heavy handed approach. It's a good shot and the SweetFx definitely isn't egregious.

As for there being another thread, I mean, this threads purpose is for Bullshots. An image shot at 4K resolution with 4xSGSSAA is about as bullshotty as it gets. You could line it next to any of the other great shots in this thread and it would fit in perfectly.

Most of the rules in the OP make perfect sense, but the SweetFx rule seems to be the one that sticks out the most as a bit misguided, especially when ENB is allowed which can be used to some pretty unappealing ends as well.

Are there some more elaborate reasons behind the ban that I'm just not realizing?

Sethos

Banned
Are there some more elaborate reasons behind the ban that I'm just not realizing?

It has been discussed in the thread previously, twice if I'm not mistaken. I've even taken it over PM with some individuals.

We were talking about doing a trial run and removing the SweetFX ban for a few weeks, then people became really obnoxious about SweetFX and we skipped the idea.

Sethos

Banned
I will have a word when I see Corky is online on how we can find a decent middle-ground in all of us because I can see this is going to be an endless subject that keeps popping up every few weeks. I'll get back to you.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It has been discussed in the thread previously, twice if I'm not mistaken. I've even taken it over PM with some individuals.

I just checked that out, and honestly, it seems like there's a pretty sizeable group of people who feel the ban on SweetFx is misguided. Most of them are also the most frequent posters in this thread as well. It's not like this is an isolated thing where just one person thinks SweetFx should be allowed.

It has been discussed before, and when its been discussed there was a group, one which represents a large portion of the content that makes up this thread, who felt SweetFx has a welcome place in the context of Bullshots.

We were talking about doing a trial run and removing the SweetFX ban for a few weeks, then people became really obnoxious about SweetFX and we skipped the idea.

People became really obnoxious about it in what way? It's a good idea, and I'm sure many other posters would welcome it, even if it was just for a trial period.

Sethos

Banned
I just checked that out, and honestly, it seems like there's a pretty sizeable group of people who feel the ban on SweetFx is misguided. Most of them are also the most frequent posters in this thread as well. It's not like this is an isolated thing where just one person thinks SweetFx should be allowed.

It has been discussed before, and when its been discussed there was a group, one which represents a large portion of the content that makes up this thread, who felt SweetFx has a welcome place in the context of Bullshots.

Large group? I'd say that is stretching it a mile and a half.

I'd also like to point out that I've been a frequent visitor to the High-Res thread where we took all of our experiences in putting together these rules, we aren't just grabbing these from thin air. The High Res thread devolved into one thing that annoyed the hell out of me: SweetFX Masturbation. People started using SweetFX on everything, think I even saw someone using it in Trine, what the fuck? I've seen about 1200% more bad, annoying SweetFX shot than I've seen with any other form of injector. People added that shit before even playing the base game sometimes.

Then when every other poster was using SweetFX, it slowly turned into a "OMG share ur settings" type of deal. I think we had a week where it was nothing but SweetFX and setting sharing posts - That was also the week where I slowly stopped posting.

For every 1-2 posters who know how to "master" ( Use it in moderation / Have an eye for it ) SweetFX, there's 98 waiting to post their over-saturated ugly shit. I know a lot of people agree with that notion as I've talked to quite a few of them or they voiced their opinion.

And in comparison to ENB, an injector that actually changes a lot more in the game than colours, as it adds actual graphical features and 98% of people are using presets, stuff made by other people that usually gained some traction. Its complexity also means people rarely start making their own. So I've seen extremely few "bad" ENBs, plenty of mediocre compositions but that isn't ENB based.

So when we were making a new thread for bullshots, of course we weren't going to allow the single worst injector that is so easy to use and was the bane of the other thread for a long time, because 1-2 knows how to use it. You open the floodgates for a lot of rubbish. That's how the rules are made; based on majority, not minority.

I'm not going to just say "OKAY" because 5 people want to use SweetFX or don't mind it.

Top Bottom