• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT3| Saturday 21st: ARG v IRN // GER v GHA // NGA v BIH

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNBL

6af2af30b71568b812275709fd001850.png

Change

Spain > Chile
Japan > Ivory coast

So FIFA rankings mean jack shit. That's the biggest lesson I've learned in this World Cup.

They have for ages. They're like some sort of running joke.

Take for example England, they're 10th (at the table I'm looking at) yet they sucked at this WC. But they're 10th because before this WC they're lost only 2 competitive matches in 4 years.

pulga

Banned
I don't understand why the manager never adjusted their strategy, skiping midfiled and trying long passes from the back towards Costly might work in Concacaf but not in a world cup. I'm sure Honduras has the players to try to play wih more possesion and build up instead of long balls to a lonely man upfrunt and trying to break the oponents legs.

You need a new manager.

I agree. Luis Suarez is clueless. Whats the point of playing two strikers upfront with very similar qualities?

So FIFA rankings mean jack shit. That's the biggest lesson I've learned in this World Cup.

That has always been the case. Their rankings vastly overrate European squads while underrating teams from Africa, CONCACAF, and to a lesser extent, Asia.

Germany may be the team to beat and France and the Netherlands may be excellent...but nobody else from EUFA looks even remotely threatening. LOL Spain, LOL England.

The biggest question of the day is how big of a bus does Iran have?

11 men in the penalty box. Book it.

Final score 0-0 unless Argentina can get the ball through 11 defenders lol.

Rooting for Deutschland to win against Ghana tonight but I hope the Africans will put up a fight. Complacency is their biggest enemy, they cannot be allowed to win it so easily.

As for the final game, I don't mind if it goes to either Bosnia or Nigeria, so long as we get a good match out of it.

Firemind

That has always been the case. Their rankings vastly overrate European squads while underrating teams from Africa, CONCACAF, and to a lesser extent, Asia.

Germany may be the team to beat and France and the Netherlands may be excellent...but nobody else from EUFA looks even remotely threatening. LOL Spain, LOL England.

Like Brazil isn't overrated. :lol

Haunted

I agree that the FIFA rankings are shit, but African and Asian teams certainly aren't underrated in the rankings.

Certain UEFA teams and the whole of CONMEBOL are overrated. Colombia or Greece being anywhere near the top 20 is just a laugh.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Really glad about our performance against this abysmal Swiss side yesterday.

After 8 years of shitty games, the last few games under Deschamps have been a joy to watch.

I hope we'll finish first of our group so as to avoid Argentina in the round of 16. And I'm looking forward to playing zee Germans in the quarters, if we're lucky enough to get there in the first place obviously.

Time to get that revenge for Sevilla in '82.
France scored 18 goals in the last 4 matchs. The team is getting great at the best possible time :)

Fergie

Banned
@livefootball: Argentina XI to play Iran: Romero, Garay, Zabaleta, Gago, Di Maria, Higuain, Messi, Mascherano, Rojo, F. Fernandez, Aguero #ARG

@livefootball: Iran XI vs Argentina: Haghighi, Haji Safi, Hosseini, Sadeghi, Nekounam, Shojaei, Timotian, Montarezi, Ghoochannejad, Dejagah, Pooladi #IRN

If Argentina score early (first 20 minutes) then it could be 4-0, 5-0.

But if it creeps up to, even reaches, half time and it's still 0-0, I wouldn't bet on Argentina to win by more than 1-0.

Pacbois

France scored 18 goals in the last 4 matchs. The team is getting great at the best possible time :)

It's still a bit shaky I guess, not totally sold by the defence. But yeah, it's great to see a solid offensive French team. If we don't screw this up, we can pull the biggest upset of this tournament by beating ze germans.

Blablurn

I won't be here for the Germany game but let me say one thing.

WE WILL CRUSH GHANA!!!

WE WILL CRUSH THE USA AFTERWARDS!!!

AND WE WILL CRUSH EVERYONE ELSE IN THE KO ROUND!

DEUTSCHLAND!

GERMANY!!!

Lets goooooooo!

Lkr

As an American I guess I should be cheering for Ghana. An Iran upset would be hilarious, but no way Argentina doesn't win by at least 4. nigeria still won't give us back our goals today, go Bosnia

Courage

As an American I guess I should be cheering for Ghana. An Iran upset would be hilarious, but no way Argentina doesn't win by at least 4. nigeria still won't give us back our goals today, go Bosnia

Cheering for Ghana as an American makes no sense. Them winning would make it harder to get second place in the group.

L-gon

Cheering for Ghana as an American makes no sense. Them winning would make it harder get second place in the group.

Correct. The US side needs Ghana to lose essentially eliminating them from the conversation. Then a draw with Portugal would likely get them to the knockout round provided they don't get steamrolled 4-0 or worse by Germany.

Correct. The US side needs Ghana to lose essentially eliminating them from the conversation. Then a draw with Portugal would likely get them to the knockout round provided they don't get steamrolled 4-0 or worse by Germany.

The Portuguese are still a bit of an unknown quantity. Yes, they're weaker than previous years coming in to he World Cup but the red card in the first game made it hard to get a proper read on them.

I say they'll draw against the USA, depsite the fact I'd love the yanks to beat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom