• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT4| What can European men do against such reckless heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, no one has brought attention to the fact that this was the last time we'll see Drogba in a World Cup. :(

First Xavi, then Pirlo, now him, soon Klose. This tournament is heavy on greats retiring. 2010 had Henry, Cannavaro, maybe Lucio, but the exodus here feels massive.

Add Lampard, Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, maybe Casillas, and a bunch of others I'm probably forgetting.

Now I'm sad.

Yes it is the end of an era. Shame that in most cases it's more limping out than bowing out.

Acorn

Guys, no one has brought attention to the fact that this was the last time we'll see Drogba in a World Cup. :(

First Xavi, then Pirlo, now him, soon Klose. This tournament is heavy on greats retiring. 2010 had Henry, Cannavaro, maybe Lucio, but the exodus here feels massive.

Add Lampard, Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, maybe Casillas, and a bunch of others I'm probably forgetting.

Now I'm sad.
06 had Zidane and Ronaldo's last wc. Those two were the greatest losses to football since Maradona.

Haunted

Prob soon. For sure before the next game they play.

But I'm not sure of the rules regarding possible appeals.

If a player appeals do they still get to play pending the appeal process completing? So kind of delaying the inevitable and allowing him to play next game? I think they do this in baseball but not clear on situations like this in football.
If you've seen the footage, there's no uncertainty, there's literally nothing to appeal. It will be struck down basically immediately.

There are only two possibilities: either the ref states in his report that he saw it and decided it was not a foul on the spot -> Suarez goes free. Or the ref says he didn't saw it and wasn't aware -> Suarez gets a ban ranging anywhere from 4 (all world cup games) to 13 (linear escalation from his previous bans for biting) to 24 (full duration) games.

meanspartan

Hope our team doesn't celebrate too much tonight. Got a big game coming up.

...who am I kidding, they're probably wasted right now lol.

As well they should be. While I hope they play their hearts out vs. Costa Rica, no shame in losing as long as they do play their best. I'm just fucking thrilled they got through this group after the endless parade of hate they get from Football Gaf and really a lot of the football community.

Guess what haters, Defensive play is a perfectly valid and viable strategy, especially for a team like Greece which just isn't gonna outplay any of the big teams on offense if it becomes a shootout. Our only chance is a solid defense + Counterattack, and we make the most of it.

The Euro 2004 win and this qualification prove that yes, it is a strategy that can work under certain circumstances, so get fucking over it cuz we aren't changing.

Now if only the US qualifies Thursday, both my teams are in. Dunno who I'd root for if it came down to a match between the two, but I would LOVE to be in that position, it would mean both teams did incredibly well lol.

σηκώσε το!

Seems to be region locked for me.

Anyway, here's a shot I enjoyed today of the camera man really trying to really get Suarez teeth into frame properly. Suarez face says it all, he knows he fucked up again lol

cgvrcu.gif

CoolOff

06 had Zidane and Ronaldo's last wc. Those two were the greatest losses to football since Maradona.

I'd have Xavi ahead of Ronaldo on skill, and ahead of both on how influential he's been in changing the game at a fundamental level, and how we think about it. I think you have to go back to Cruyff to find someone with Xavi's level of influence

Zidane was the GOAT though in terms of skill.

Uzzy

If you've seen the footage, there's no uncertainty, there's literally nothing to appeal. It will be struck down basically immediately.

There are only two possibilities: either the ref states in his report that he saw it and decided it was not a foul on the spot -> Suarez goes free. Or the ref says he didn't saw it and wasn't aware -> Suarez gets a ban ranging anywhere from 4 (all world cup games) to 13 (linear escalation from his previous bans for biting) to 24 (full duration) games.

If Uruguay appeal any ban handed down to Suarez, they should be fined for wasting FIFA's time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'd have Xavi ahead of Ronaldo on skill, and ahead of both on how influential he's been in changing the game at a fundamental level, and how we think about it. I think you have to go back to Cruyff to find someone with Xavi's level of influence

Yup.

Acorn

I'd have Xavi ahead of Ronaldo on skill, and ahead of both on how influential he's been in changing the game at a fundamental level, how we think about it. I don't think there's been anyone with Xavi's level of influence since Cruyff.

Hmm Ronaldo has a special place in my heart so I'm biased. But yes there is a fair argument about xavi's overall impact compared to him.

Just watched the match summary....

Holy shit the greek player wasnt even touched!

The fucking bastard threw himself forward when his own foot hit the ground

Can someone gif 4.20 to 4.27?
http://deportesenvivo.univision.com/game/c-de-marfil-at-grecia-on-20140624

greece_zps635d8e76.png

Incidentally, if youre in the US, and you want a 5 minute summary of the games (ie, not the 30 second highlights reel), Univision has them on their website, where the live games are streamed.

Its cut from the full broadcast, so in-game commentary and shows all the misses too, not just the goals.

daydream

Banned
As well they should be. While I hope they play their hearts out vs. Costa Rica, no shame in losing as long as they do play their best. I'm just fucking thrilled they got through this group after the endless parade of hate they get from Football Gaf and really a lot of the football community.

Guess what haters, Defensive play is a perfectly valid and viable strategy, especially for a team like Greece which just isn't gonna outplay any of the big teams on offense if it becomes a shootout. Our only chance is a solid defense + Counterattack, and we make the most of it.

The Euro 2004 win and this qualification prove that yes, it is a strategy that can work under certain circumstances, so get fucking over it cuz we aren't changing.

Now if only the US qualifies Thursday, both my teams are in. Dunno who I'd root for if it came down to a match between the two, but I would LOVE to be in that position, it would mean both teams did incredibly well lol.

σηκώσε το!

Agreed. The bolded part is especially important. We don't have star players like a lot of other teams, European or not, so we have to adapt. I feel like the way Group C played out highlights it very clearly, actually. If you take Japan, for example, they clearly have a few standout names, but as a team, they just didn't function.

Nerokis

Such an amazing World Cup!

I'll be in the Rio Grande Valley (basically, Mexican-Texan border) with my Mexican girlfriend and Colombian cousin through all the Round of 16 matches. Should have amazing company for the games, particularly those this weekend. We're supposed to visit my girlfriend's family in Mexico after Mexico vs. Netherlands on Sunday, and I'm pretending that I don't want to go if Mexico loses because my grandma's family immigrated to Colombia from The Netherlands. Haha.

Fun times. All our families are pretty proud of how our respective teams have been doing.

So is the biter gone for the tournament? Despicable.

Bracket is quite funny. South America region in one quadrant. Central America/Europe in another.

Altazor

Uruguay shouldn't appeal shit. It's clear, especially with this image:

phdzcy.gif

It does bother me a bit (and I'm sure I'm going to get absolutely blasted for this) this sort of... moral outrage. There are players fucking their friends' wives, players consciously making career-ending tackles to other players and all of sort of red-card repeat offenders and there wasn't any of these "ban this sick filth from LIFE" reactions as far as I remember. That doesn't excuse his behavior and, certainly, doesn't mean he shouldn't be punished. Because he has to. And he brought this on himself. But spare me these "oh this is the worst thing i've ever seen on a football pitch" reactions, 'cause I've seen worse.

greece_zps635d8e76.png

Incidentally, if youre in the US, and you want a 5 minute summary of the games (ie, not the 30 second highlights reel), Univision has them on their website, where the live games are streamed.

Its cut from the full broadcast, so in-game commentary and shows all the misses too, not just the goals.

Are you fucking blind?

The video doesn't work for me (region locked?) but :

iYVDAoLFgzl8b.gif

jcecwh.gif

That's a penalty any day.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/jamesinclair/Blog/greece_zps635d8e76.png[IMG]

Its cut from the full broadcast, so in-game commentary and shows all the misses too, not just the goals.[/QUOTE]

What?
You can see his left leg clearly get hit by the IC players' leg causing him to trip on his own foot.

Nilaul

greece_zps635d8e76.png

Dude are you blind?

iYVDAoLFgzl8b.gif

It was a clear penality, his leg was hooked, which caused him to trip.

Uruguay shouldn't appeal shit. It's clear, especially with this image:

phdzcy.gif

It does bother me a bit (and I'm sure I'm going to get absolutely blasted for this) this sort of... moral outrage. There are players fucking their friends' wives, players consciously making career-ending tackles to other players and all of sort of red-card repeat offenders and there wasn't any of these "ban this sick filth from LIFE" reactions as far as I remember.
What? I see those reactions all the time. About players like Pepe for instance

Also we don't really see players fucking their mates' wives on the pitch, unfortunately

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Also we don't really see players fucking their mates' wives on the pitch, unfortunately

Yeah, that post confused me.
This is pretty normal when something so disgusting happens on the field and is so clearly visible to the public.

Acorn

This is still the greatest goal I have ever seen.
Yeah, it is a perfect example of Zizou's absolute mastery of technique and control. He had everything but pace, and he didn't even need pace because his mind was 5 yards ahead of the opposition anyway.

Nilaul

Surarez must be forgiven; definitely the effects of prolonged starvation. He couldn't resist that extra protein.

Nerokis

How is it someone's natural reaction to bite someone in the fuck shoulder.

What the fuck.

A part of him seems to love the attention his antics generate.

He is also notorious for blatant dives, but he still does it and seems to find it hilarious.

Altazor

I haven't. I mean, there ARE reactions. I've seen things from "haha Pepe is at it again" ranging to "he deserves a red card, he always does this shit" but I haven't seen "HE SHOULD NEVER PLAY FOOTBALL AGAIN IN HIS LIFE"

or fortunately

Rockyrock

the worst part about the Suarez bite is it will completely cover the reason the match changed.

That straight red to Marchisio was mind boggling.

The Suarez bite was disgusting but didn't define the match like that red card did.

on another note: Cassano and insigne over Rossi, how'd that work out Prandelli?

Uzzy

σηκώσε το!

Too bloody right. The 2004 triumph was a masterpiece of smart tactics, teamwork and excellent defensive play.

Massa

the worst part about the Suarez bite is it will completely cover the reason the match changed.

The Suarez bite was disgusting but didn't define the match like that red card did.

That straight red was totally deserved, it was an extremely dangerous play.

zruben

Banned

well, it wasn't as decisive, I agree... but those last 10 minutes would have been more fun/exciting if it was a 10v10 match.

A part of him seems to love the attention his antics generate.

He is also notorious for blatant dives, but he still does it and seems to find it hilarious.

You really think he does it for the attention? This shit causes him a lot of trouble, way more than it's worth, if he just wanted attention he could do it in so many other ways and get lots of it too. He's obviously just a bit mental.

σηκώσε το!

All the best wishes, I do love seeing Greece not give a fuck about what other people think.

Kikujiro

I haven't. I mean, there ARE reactions. I've seen things from "haha Pepe is at it again" ranging to "he deserves a red card, he always does this shit" but I haven't seen "HE SHOULD NEVER PLAY FOOTBALL AGAIN IN HIS LIFE"

Then you should look better, because it happens all the time. I mean you could just check a random youtube video about Pepe and all you'll see is "how is this guy still playing?".

What was mind boggling about the red card to Marchisio was the stupidity of it. Was a red card any day.

enodck.gif

What is his cleats doing up on that players knee and leg? The fuck is he attempting to do there?

Acorn

Zidane really was a talent. It's unfortunate he had to end on such a negative note.
I'm half Italian so I was supporting Italy but Zidane is my favourite player ever, one of the saddest things I've ever saw in football is the shot of one of the greatest walking past the world cup down the tunnel alone after being sent off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom