• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT4| What can European men do against such reckless heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zruben

Banned
This one???
http://youtu.be/E3BLrgvgHnE

Great goal, but nowhere near best I've seen. As a quick example, I thought Cahill's volley goal from this World Cup was better.

Cahill's volley was amazing, but the Zidane's goal one requires way more technique.

The ball is falling in a straight line vertically from very far, it's very hard to judge the distance and speed of the ball, also, he had very little space to maneuver his body. Watch the replay again, he has to twist his support leg in a weird way to make that kick possible.

Altazor

Then you should look better, because it happens all the time. I mean you could just check a random youtube video about Pepe and all you'll see is "how is this guy still playing?".

checking youtube comments doesn't mean anything. I checked the youtube comments on that Zidane headbutt video I posted earlier and more than half of them were racist insults between users.

Salsa

It's not really a matter of respect that I was speaking, though.

It ended with that being his last game and while it was memorable, it could have been something positive.

I dunno, I kinda like it. It was cleared up fast and he ended up as a badass

CoolOff

checking youtube comments doesn't mean anything. I checked the youtube comments on that Zidane headbutt video I posted earlier and more than half of them were racist insults between users.

To be fair, more than half of the comments on that cute video with the kitty being tickled are racist insults between users.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
eh I think no one gave a fuck soon enough. he's respected a lot

True but let's not pretend that head-butt didn't affect Frances chances in winning that world due to the blow in morale. It goes both ways, that squad really needed him but he was kid of their undoing (though they probably wouldn't have got that far without him in the first place).

Rockyrock

What was mind boggling about the red card to Marchisio was the stupidity of it. Was a red card any day.

enodck.gif

What is his cleats doing up on that players knee and leg? The fuck is he attempting to do there?

attempting to shield his body man.

I can't belive people think that in the heat of a moment like that you can control every part of your body while trying to control the ball. Shit happens.

if that's a red every team should end the match with 6 players every game. give me a break.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm half Italian so I was supporting Italy but Zidane is my favourite player ever, one of the saddest things I've ever saw in football is the shot of one of the greatest walking past the world cup down the tunnel alone after being sent off.
Yeah it sucked to see. I don't condone reacting with violence at all but I do understand why he did.
I dunno, I kinda like it. It was cleared up fast and he ended up as a badass

I guess it really depends on how he felt. While fans might have enjoyed it, did he? or does he regret it?

Acorn

Cahill's volley was amazing, but the Zidane's goal one requires way more technique.

The ball is falling in a straight line vertically from very far, it's very hard to judge the distance and speed of the ball, also, he had very little space to maneuver his body. Watch the replay again, he has to twist his support leg in a weird way to make that kick possible.
And watch how he never takes his eye of the ball, he doesn't even look at the goal. He knows where it is instinctively.

[Fugo]

lttp I'm here, a sad Italian today.

This Italian side wasn't strong and nobody was expecting to win the World Cup this year;
but the game was a fraud.
Marchisio's RED card was one of the worst calls ever.
Even a yellow would be debatable in that circumstance (for the record I used to be an amateur referee and was 3/4 through the official FIFA refereeing course when I was hired in a job with schedule incompatibility).

The only more BS direct red card in a WC Italy game was 1994 round of 16 against Nigeria when Zola was booked for... taking the ball from his opponent, not even touching him.

And Suarez... I want justice. The referee might have not seen it, but fifa has the replays. Calling '94 WC again, Tassotti was given an 8 turn suspension for an elbow to Luis Enrique. Anything less to Suarez is an insult.

CoolOff

I can't belive people think that in the heat of a moment like that you can control every part of your body while trying to control the ball. Shit happens.

if that's a red every team should end the match with 6 players every game. give me a break.

You don't shield your body with your studs up, and if you do, it's a red.

Salsa

oh boy.

That's a clear red. Every single time. You need to take a breather, mate.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
People always say this when a team performs without their star but I don't see it that way. Sometimes you need that one guy who just changes the game in an instance.

It's amazing having a guy like Messi or Ronaldo pull something out of nothing and you would always rather have it than not have it.
Falcao is a traditional 9 though that doesn't do much if the ball isn't being serviced to him, he doesn't really create out of nothing the way Messi and CR7 do. You can make up for a lack of a strong 9 with scoring wingers/midfielders/set pieces.

Atletico won La Liga without him and Diego Costa is not better than Falcao
Atletico got to the CL final without him
Monaco finished comfortably in second place without him
Colombia isn't skipping a beat without him

I don't think James Rodriguez would be developing as well if he had the pressure to give the ball to Falcao all the time and wasn't given as much creative freedom as he is now. Colombia and Monaco became his team without Falcao.

Navy Bean

And watch how he never takes his eye of the ball, he doesn't even look at the goal. He knows where it is instinctively.
Guess I'd need to see Cahill's again to compare, but, I just think the speed and angle the ball is coming to him, the fact that defender is on him, and the strength of his shot makes it more impressive to me. But, of course, both goals are pretty amazing.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
What a day.

You certainly can give a red for a foul like Marchisio did. Thing is most referees don't. But it was what it was. But everything after that was just horrible. A red card for Suarez would have changed the whole complexion of the game. Italy didn't play very good today, that's true too. What's not are accusations that we didn't try to win. There was no parking the bus or stalling. We even had more chances, Uruguay wasn't the shining beacon of hope for attack football.

And then we all witnessed a descent into madness on this very board.

I gotta go ly dow

Raist

Banned

Shield is body from... what?
Especially since, after "shielding his body" you can clearly see him actually kick ther other dude's leg away.

Kensuke

Are you fucking blind?

That's a penalty any day.

Actually, I think it should have been an indirect free kick.

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if, in the opinion of the referee, a player:
• plays in a dangerous manner
• impedes the progress of an opponent
• prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands
• commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in Law 12, for which play is stopped to caution or send off a player

source

I think the way the defender stood in the way of Samaras could fall under 'impedes the progress of an opponent'. A foul is simply not always a penalty. See this recent example (plays in a dangerous manner).

Altazor

I think the fact that DeJong didn't get a red for that criminal kick doesn't mean Marchisio's foul wasn't one. Coward Webb fucked up in 2010. Should've sent DeJong out, but didn't.

zruben

Banned
you can clearly see in the gif he attempts to turn his cleat to the side so he doesnt go spikes first.

That's a red but this isn't:
DeJong1.jpg

good one.

and who the hell is defending that play?

that's a even redder red. That referee sucked. The one from today did his job properly in the Marchisso play.

Guamu

Well, that's kind of what happens with chiquimarco as the ref...

Salsa

That's a red but this isn't/

don't do that

an uncalled red doesnt mean another one also isnt

that's the type of football discussion that's just an endless loop

suarez biting was red, wasnt called

that doesnt mean Marchisio suddenly wasn't a red, cause it sure as shit was. the clearest type.

Navy Bean

You don't shield your body with your studs up, and if you do, it's a red.
I get that but I must have a higher threshold for what should constitute a red card. Didn't feel like a red when I first saw it and still doesn't now. Plenty of reckless challenges are given yellow - especially in big games.

you can clearly see in the gif he attempts to turn his cleat to the side so he doesnt go spikes first.

That's a red but this isn't: [IMG']http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/DeJong1.jpg[/IMG]

good one.

Are we beginning with the "but this wasn't a red" already? Mistakes happens, that one ref didn't give a red for what obviously should have been, doesn't mean we shouldn't punish anything softer than De Jongs kick with a red lol. Don't be an idiot.

bud

zidane is the greatest, most aesthetic footballer of all-time. he was an artist. the tragedy of having to end his career with a sending off due to a headbutt in a world cup final because materazzi dissed his mother and/or sister or whatever somehow adds to his legend. i don't condone it, though, and i'd rather he had taken trezeguet's penalty.

(just imagine that i'm stoned out of my mind)

Linius

zidane is the greatest, most aesthetic footballer of all-time. he was an artist. the tragedy of having to end his career with a sending off due to a headbutt in a world cup final because materazzi dissed his mother and/or sister or whatever somehow adds to his legend. i don't condone it, though, and i'd rather he had taken trezeguet's penalty.

tfkCEG4.png

zruben

Banned
I get that but I must have a higher threshold for what should constitute a red card. Didn't feel like a red when I first saw it and still doesn't now. Plenty of reckless challenges are given yellow - especially in big games.

well, the rules are clear and the referee today, historically, is a very strict one, if the coach/players didn't research that and did that kind of play, they are responsible for that red.

It's not like Zidane didn't heatbutt before either. Zidane was a proper cunt with a dark side to him too, at least he didn't bite people, but certainly a cunt. A great cunt. A cunt I would lick delicately. But in the end still a cunt.

zruben

Banned
It's not like Zidane didn't heatbutt before either. Zidane was a proper cunt with a dark side to him too, at least he didn't bite people, but certainly a cunt. A great cunt. A cunt I would lick delicately. But in the end still a cunt.

I'm at work and kinda tired...

this post made me laugh WAY more that it should have.

Rockyrock

Shield is body from... what?
Especially since, after "shielding his body" you can clearly see him actually kick ther other dude's leg away.

been playing and watching for almost 20 years.

have seen far far worse. player made a meal of it. The force of Marchisio's boot is not even have enough impact to knock a man down, and his spikes don't go into the player from what I can seen.

zruben

Banned

have seen far far worse. player made a meal of it. The force of Marchisio's boot is not even have enough impact to knock a man down, and his spikes don't go into the player from what I can seen.

yes, we get that. that doesn't make this play "less of a red". the rules are clear.

bud

exactly.

kraftwerk, i don't know if you've ever seen zidane play, but imagine terrence malick taking the new world, and somehow managing to turn it into a footballer.

that footballer would be zidane.

krYlon

Yeah Zidane was a nutjob too. Just because he was a great footballer doesn't mean you can condone some of the stuff he did. He got sent off plenty of times. Even in his film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait. I mean how crazy do you have to be to get sent off in a game where you know you are being filmed for posterity. Part of me thinks he did it on purpose to show all sides of his character.

Salsa

so if there's not enough strength to break a man down it's not a red? that's what you learned in 20 years?

stubs to leg, 1 meter away from ref, previous uncalled possible red:

stdtpb.gif

nothing about this was undeserved dude

there's worse, but this is still red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom