• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Leb

That last part is especially true for Skyrim. And why 90% of Unreal's Skyrim shots are around the same 5% of the world map.

Having spent no small amount of time trying to replicate some of these shots, this is so true. I keep hoping one of the greats will come up with a guide or something on how to achieve the best possible graphic fidelity, in a truly consistent manner, across the overwhelming majority of locations/lighting conditions.

UnrealEck

Does anyone play a male character in Skyrim? Does anyone play a character of either gender with hair that looks more plausible for someone in that setting to have?

Does anyone play a male character in Skyrim? Does anyone play a character of either gender with hair that looks more plausible for someone in that setting to have?

The default hair looked like crap most of the time. So I went with a bald dude.

8394405603_f160060850_o.png

legacyzero

Banned
Hmmm.... The shadows did do that in the original shots. JPEG strikes again?? Is there any way to change what the picture capture format is in Space Engine?

izCtj3ne6y11L.jpg

ibh1oO7FSzpLIK.jpg

Rixxan

I love this thread to death, but the performance whore in me always feels dirty appreciating these shots wholly because i imagine the vast majority of them are running at unplayable framerates.

Thorgal

Yeah I highly doubt all these 4K or greater renders are running at more than unstable 30 if they have something like a Titan or 290x.

Well that depends on what sort of optimization the game got and /or how old the game is .

Takee my 660 for example :

For a game like say DMC (4) i can crank both games up to 1800p and still get 60 FPS most of the time . same with The half life series .

However if i where to set that res with Metro LL or any recent game ,my frames drop to the sub 10 level .

I really need a 780 ti in my life :p

Well that depends on what sort of optimization the game got and /or how old the game is .

Takee my 660 for example :

For a game like say DMC (4) i can crank both games up to 1800p and still get 60 FPS most of the time . same with The half life series .

However if i where to set that res with Metro LL or any recent game ,my frames drop to the sub 10 level .

I really need a 780 ti in my life :p

660 bro's, yea boi.

soontroll

Banned
Hmmm.... The shadows did do that in the original shots. JPEG strikes again?? Is there any way to change what the picture capture format is in Space Engine?

You'd be better off using fraps (can change format much easier).
However, if you do want to use the in-game screenshot function:
<your game directory>\config
Open main.cfg and look for // screenshots and other settings and change ''jpg'' to whatever to want. You can also mess with other screenshot settings there (such as jpg compression).

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing special, just more Skyrim.

screenshot2nvumo.png

screenshot5l1uul.png

The FXAA unfortunately makes it blurry. The game didn't wanna run in this "mode" if I didn't have it enabled though. But I'll see what I can do to fix it.

masterzh

Neo Member
iZhZUXYw2mKMm.png

ibaUoYobvpyGzS.png

Not going to spam such beautiful thread with 2003-game without any super-mega-ultra-downsampling. If you want to see my 2014 showcase vid about this mod go HERE.

Is it just me or is Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance blurry at 1080p and even 1440p?o_O

Not just you. The game was meant to be played on consoles at 720p on "last-gen" consoles. The assets just aren't there. But I don't think it's a game meant to have a spec of technical merit and is just a hack and slash fun-fest.

soontroll

Banned
I love Space Engine, but the controls always turn me off. :(

I thought that at first too but then I sort of got used to them. You could always change the key bindings. Besides, I only use SE when I want to look at some pretty planets and stuff. It's hardly something to play for its gameplay.

Thorgal

Not just you. The game was meant to be played on consoles at 720p on "last-gen" consoles. The assets just aren't there. But I don't think it's a game meant to have a spec of technical merit and is just a hack and slash fun-fest.

It is . but i can definitely say that what this game lacks in asset's or graphical prowess it makes more than up for it it in the gameplay department .

Spazznid

I love this thread to death, but the performance whore in me always feels dirty appreciating these shots wholly because i imagine the vast majority of them are running at unplayable framerates.

652.gif

Yeah I highly doubt all these 4K or greater renders are running at more than unstable 30 if they have something like a Titan or 290x.

4K is easy. I get at least like 30-40 on most newer games, and easily get 60 on most games. At 6K I still get well over 60 fps in DMC, Resident Evil 5, and Resident Evil 6. 10K-16K is the new white whale.

Really wish KOFXIII had proper 120fps 120hz support.

Yeah, ain't nobody got time for capping fps at 60. I need a fix!

I enjoy this thread and all but... what's with people posting screenshots of... blank monochrome walls? Why would you purposefully pick the most boring screenshot possible? :S

I kind of agree.

Qassim

Slightly off topic, but you'd be surprised at how well you can get even the most demanding games running at 4K. You'll have to take a downgrade in settings - but on my single GTX 780, I can average 30 - 40 FPS on Crysis 3, all 'high' settings, FXAA (whatever that's worth at this resolution downsampling to 1080p).

I don't actually play like that, but I was just curious to see where I could hit 'playable' framerates. I believe the main limit is memory bandwidth on these top end GPUs and if that is the case, then it sort of makes me excited for Volta - 1TB/s bandwidth (vs 280GB/s on a 780).

rashbeep

Banned
Having spent no small amount of time trying to replicate some of these shots, this is so true. I keep hoping one of the greats will come up with a guide or something on how to achieve the best possible graphic fidelity, in a truly consistent manner, across the overwhelming majority of locations/lighting conditions.

This is definitely possible if you tweak the weathers in the CK as well as use the "separate weather" feature in ENB. Just takes a lot of time..

Top Bottom