• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

GavinUK86

screenshot3_by_roderickartist-d71yl1r.png

did you spawn in those bodies or did you slaughter an entire army lol?

I thought Enslaved was one of the laziest PC ports I've seen... until MG Rising rolled around. You can actually get decent looking screenshots from Enslaved though.

Pre-rendered videos and Steam-hosted shots are both frowned upon.

What's wrong with Steam hosting?

Screenshot on Flickr
Screenshot on Steam

I even loaded both with firebug opened to check load times. Steam delivered it in 459ms and Flickr in 865ms. I dunno. Steam seems decent as a host. REAL pain in the ass to get shots uploaded and then to get the originals but... eh. It's viable.

Totally agree about pre-rendered cut scenes though.

Gvaz

Banned
I thought Enslaved was one of the laziest PC ports I've seen... until MG Rising rolled around.

Screenshot on Flickr
Screenshot on Steam

I even loaded both with firebug opened to check load times. Steam delivered it in 459ms and Flickr in 865ms. I dunno. Steam seems decent as a host. REAL pain in the ass to get shots uploaded and then to get the originals but... eh. It's viable.

I can't really see any discernible difference between the two.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Screenshot on Flickr
Screenshot on Steam

99.9% of people whose shots were posted using Steam as a host did not jump through those hoops. The default jpeg quality Steam does use is not acceptable for this thread.

Spazznid

99.9% of people whose shots were posted using Steam as a host did not jump through those hoops. The default jpeg quality Steam does use is not acceptable for this thread.

Exactly. Just because there is possibility, doesn't mean it's going to happen often. It's better to warn against using Steam, than to have a lot of uninformed people using it wrong. IMO at least.

Ahhh. So it's Steam-captured shots moreso than Steam hosted shots. Yeah. The default steam capture is garbage. May as well upload to IMGUR.

Guess I'll try and contribute something to the thread

11920678964_f387f4a085_o.jpg

11920498113_2451080cec_o.jpg

Now with FPS at around the time of capture ;)

Also using a hacked EXE that actually supports the "21:9" ratio.

legacyzero

Banned
If only they took the time to make the textures better for Enslaved. That would have been killer.

I thought Enslaved was one of the laziest PC ports I've seen... until MG Rising rolled around. You can actually get decent looking screenshots from Enslaved though.

It's like I've been saying, though. You gotta crawl before you can walk. Give them the incentive to release their games on PC, and the rest will follow suit. Dark Souls is the perfect example. Shitty port leads to community fix, leads to Dark Souls II with PC being the lead platform IIRC.

Lets just give them time. From software already sees it. Platinum Games sees it. Kojima sees it.

It's only a matter of time.

Spazznid

<3

If only they took the time to make the textures better for Enslaved. That would have been killer.

It's like I've been saying, though. You gotta crawl before you can walk. Give them the incentive to release their games on PC, and the rest will follow suit. Dark Souls is the perfect example. Shitty port leads to community fix, leads to Dark Souls II with PC being the lead platform IIRC.

Lets just give them time. From software already sees it. Platinum Games sees it. Kojima sees it.

It's only a matter of time.

That seems to have been apllying to Fighters, and hopefully, one day we'll get Soul Calibur on PC. I have dreams!

did you spawn in those bodies or did you slaughter an entire army lol?

I spawned them. Then I killed them all.

What ENB is this.

I'll be honest, I'm not quite the ENB config kind of skyrim player. I use ENB quite a lot, and this one is using FarOff ENB as it's basis right now, but I tweak it specifically (sometimes to wild amounts) for every shot. Also a good deal of what makes that shot look nice (if it does) is the brilliant DoF filter (mindstalker's) which can be paired with any ENB, and also the nice foggy weather stuff, which is a mod (Supreme Fog and a fog thing for CoT).

I don't want to sound whiny or as if you have made any particular annoyance with your question or anything, so.. just generally I'd like to say that there are more ways to view a Skyrim screenshot than just 'how did you make it look like that?'. 'Making it look like that' might be what most people (myself included) are doing, but boiling it down to a pass-along ENB config is a bit undercutting to the potential of the game as far as recording it is concerned. And it leads to a lot of shots that are 'gee look at how I made it look like this'... of grass or water. Few games have as incredible a tool kit for running around and making images. Thus I would like to say, though in utter vain, hey internet... yes ENB is a thing, and thank god. Let's move on.

I KILLED THEM ALL.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Woof.

Anyways, Some more games are working!

11920244466_175fb48e45_o.png

Is that with Durantes method?

Ahhh. So it's Steam-captured shots moreso than Steam hosted shots. Yeah. The default steam capture is garbage. May as well upload to IMGUR.

Guess I'll try and contribute something to the thread

11920678964_f387f4a085_o.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2816/11920498113_2451080cec_o.jpg[IMG]

Now with FPS at around the time of capture ;)

Also using a hacked EXE that actually supports the "21:9" ratio.[/QUOTE]

Woof.

Spazznid

I assume he hasn't publicly shared it yet yes?

I really do need to remember getting Remember Me at some point, I love the aesthetics.

I haven't actually released anything yet but am running a bit of a closed pre-alpha test.

And when I say pre-alpha I do mean lots of shit doesn't work. In fact, there's at least as much stuff which doesn't work as there is stuff that works. But if any screenshot-GAF regular wants in despite that (and has the time and inclination to actually help me debug things) contact me by PM (and mention your steam name if it's not in your GAF profile).

It's VERY buggy, and doesn't like to play nice with every game, but Durante Jesus is on the job.

Fuck Next Gen and Next Next Gen.

We can jump the two of them here and now. All things considered, I imagine within two GPU Gens, we'll be running Witcher 3 at 8K with plenty of FPS.

I WISH we could jump generations. Games are still going to be built with console power in mind first (for the most part). That means texture quality, effects, lighting, polygons, etc etc... are going to be hindered for a good 8 years.

I'm not sure how we'll get Witcher 3 to 8K unless DuranteSampling supports DX11 by then xD

Spazznid

I WISH we could jump generations. Games are still going to be built with console power in mind first (for the most part). That means texture quality, effects, lighting, polygons, etc etc... are going to be hindered for a good 8 years.

I'm not sure how we'll get Witcher 3 to 8K unless DuranteSampling supports DX11 by then xD

True. But I'd think that with enough time, even Nvidia and AMD would embrace 4K+.

There's already TVs at 5K. I have a feeling things are going to be moving pretty fast this Gen.

I enjoy this thread and all but... what's with people posting screenshots of... blank monochrome walls? Why would you purposefully pick the most boring screenshot possible? :S

I thought there might be somebody that likes that kind of modest shots, I got the inspiration from some Mirror's Edge Shots. But if no likes that I stop posting those, my bad.

Wn5.png

Xn5.png

Spazznid

11932597055_3df593a0b4_o.png

I can probably push this game to 10K. Disabling the High AA setting improved the Framerate considerably. At Low, it's only FXAA, and I get well over 30 FPS at 8K.

I'll have to do another playthrough sometime after I finish this one, now that I can not only push it this far, but use Free Cam. It's a wonderful game with some annoying combat quirks.

Define "free cam" because last I checked, the game has no "real" free camera.

I meant the Static one, as well as the First Person Ghost. Finicky as shit.

Spazznid

You could easily just get 16K shots of Mirrors Edge using tiledshot.

True, but for testing purposes, and the fact that I'm downsampling to 1080p, this was enough. Does Tiledshot provide an advantage in LoD? (Also, Tiledshot doesn't like to work well with Durante's Solution, and I'm too lazy to disable it, :p)

Also, these are Gameplay level shots. I was playing with a pretty good framerate, and PhysX on. It looks much better than Driver level Downsampling by a long shot.

11933789216_55f2fc6651_o.png

11933223173_295d9cae9c_o.png

Thorgal

True, but for testing purposes, and the fact that I'm downsampling to 1080p, this was enough. Does Tiledshot provide an advantage in LoD? (Also, Tiledshot doesn't like to work well with Durante's Solution, and I'm too lazy to disable it, :p)

Also, these are Gameplay level shots. I was playing with a pretty good framerate, and PhysX on. It looks much better than Driver level Downsampling by a long shot.

11933789216_55f2fc6651_o.png

11933223173_295d9cae9c_o.png

Well . here are 2 of them taken with Tiledshot 4.

Up to you whether they look better then your shots.

highres_screenshot_00cgqtt.png

highres_screenshot_00kgql5.png

Does this tool potentially have the ability to take tiledshot level resolution screens of the Mass Effect games without running into the vignette/post process issues that tiledshot does?

I think you're only limited by what your GPU can handle. Though I think going over 8K is absolutely pointless. That should be more than enough for Mass Effect.

Spazznid

Well . here are 2 of them taken with Tiledshot 4.

Up to you whether they look better then your shots.

What I meant to say was that, during gameplay, Durante's Solution is much better than Driver level Downsampling, from a visual perspective, and based on my experience, from a performance perspective. Tiledshot is great in Mirrors Edge, but for the purpose of taking gameplay shots this is all I need. I want the game to look good while I play almost as much as taking screenshots, so if I can bypass the need for Tiledshots, I will.

Does this tool potentially have the ability to take tiledshot level resolution screens of the Mass Effect games without running into the vignette/post process issues that tiledshot does?

Almost. If you can spare the Vram, you can go up to 16K. For screenshots this is amazing, and when Downsampling screenshots to 1080p, 6-8K is more than enough, as well as more than achievable with a good card. But where Durante's Solution really shines is the fact than not only are you seeing a smoother image on your screen, but you can get whatever Hz you want. 6K and 120Hz is not impossible now. Hell, if you had a 300Hz monitor, for whatever reason, and a card that could push the frames, you could be playing at 6K with 300FPS, and not be bottlenecked by the wire you're using.

Top Bottom