• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
6K and 120Hz is not impossible now. Hell, if you had a 300Hz monitor, for whatever reason, and a card that could push the frames, you could be playing at 6K with 300FPS, and not be bottlenecked by the wire you're using.

Oh FUCK. OH SHIT.

When I get a chance to use this, I HAVE to test 1440p in 3D mode. If it supports 120hz at any res, it should also support 3D at any res and the 3D community will blow a god damned load over this if it does work.

Downsampling + 3D sounds incredible. The one big downside of playing in 3D is the unfortunate aliasing that's usually present.

Spazznid

Oh FUCK. OH SHIT.

When I get a chance to use this, I HAVE to test 1440p in 3D mode. If it supports 120hz at any res, it should also support 3D at any res and the 3D community will blow a god damned load over this if it does work.

Downsampling + 3D sounds incredible. The one big downside of playing in 3D is the unfortunate aliasing that's usually present.

Didn't even think of that, but you're right. 3D and VR could very much benefit from this.

xaxaWOW

Hi guys !

This is my first post of screenshot on this topic and I start with Grid 2 :)
I don't know what is the best method to upload screenshot, I use Steam.

396364AE1A66E3DC45B22D966141C85750CBDCA1

018A67E9D2F86815B61E3A509D9CDA9F87B43E9D

This game works so well with downsampling, my two GTX670 love it !

I apologize for my bad english, i'm a french geek :)

Doesn't work for Planetside 2! Nooooooooooooooo =(

This is my first post of screenshot on this topic and I start with Grid 2 :)
I don't know what is the best method to upload screenshot, I use Steam.

Allo!

Check the OP for thread rules and tools to use in order to capture screenshots properly :)

AKA - don't capture with steam. 3600x2025 screenshot and the filesize is < 1MB = horribly compressed mess. Try using Fraps or MSI Afterburner to capture lossless screenshots. Just be sure to capture\convert to PNG\100% quality JPG before uploading.

Spazznid

11936140026_854f2a2b44_o.png

This one is better ? :)

Much!

The file is 6MB though. I don't personally care, and I doubt many others do, but if you want to make it smaller for storage purposes, I'd suggest resizing the image to 1920x1080p. There are a few ways in the OP. Still not an issue, but food for thought.

Stradnjoy

This was my first time trying to take shots everything maxed in DiRT2 & DiRT3 with the replay function. I've only checked some of the shots of DiRT2, but I thought these were good enough to post.
I had to dance around the logo a bit so that's why the second shot is in 21:9 aspect ratio

DiRT2, 3840x2160, max everything, cropped logo, Resized to 1080p.
11937183204_bdcfd9e908_o_d.jpg

DiRT2, 3840x2160, max everything, cropped logo, Resized to 1080p.
11937541586_0283b42be4_o_d.jpg

Also, for some reason, when resizing these the Lanczos3 in GIMP produced noticeable aliasing on the spoilers which I caught after uploading the first iteration of these shots. Lanczos2 (sharper) in FastStone seemed to be okay though. Weird. First time that has happened to me.

Stein3x

This was my first time trying to take shots everything maxed in DiRT2 & DiRT3 with the replay function. I've only checked some of the shots of DiRT2, but I thought these were good enough to post.
I had to dance around the logo a bit so that's why the second shot is in 21:9 aspect ratio

Also, for some reason, when resizing these the Lanczos3 in GIMP produced noticeable aliasing on the spoilers which I caught after uploading the first iteration of these shots. Lanczos2 (sharper) in FastStone seemed to be okay though. Weird. First time that has happened to me.

I really like them, keep it up. Also yeah sometimes you should try different re-sizing algorithms ,each one of them have pros and cons (aliasing/banding). I usually go with Lanczos2 or 3 depending on how sharp my picture is , also it's been a long time since i've used Photoshop's Bicubic sharper but you should consider it too as an alternative :)

GOD DAMMIT I LOVE IT
11922614865_9651840b86_o.jpg

Love that one, i think it only needs a little bit of sharpening through sweetfx (i know it's not working) and it will be perfect

BONKERS

Sharpening? No way man. That looks absolutely perfect as-is.

If there is a free tool that lets you resize an image with Bicubic or Bisharp. Use that and don't bother with other methods unless for specific reasons.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

If there is a free tool that lets you resize an image with Bicubic or Bisharp. Use that and don't bother with other methods unless for specific reasons.

Faststone Image Viewer.

Also, Lanczos 3 and Lanczos 2 are both great resizing methods as well.

Stein3x

It really is , it's just that i'm used to see Jim's Borderlands shots with a slight boost in sharpening the textures and i think he wants it too :p

It really is , it's just that i'm used to see Jim's Borderlands shots with a slight boost in sharpening the textures and i think he wants it too :p

Well here are two similar shots that I resized with bicubic sharper. It's just a pain to do that because I don't have a batch operation setup and I hate creating new actions.

No claptrap

With claptrap

And here's a random Bioshock Infinite screen.

11939782063_6f1951bc55_o.jpg

I must agree with Rodderick . Mindstalkers Dof is quite something .

enb2014_01_1322_27_240bjyy.jpg

enb2014_01_1400_17_53wrkxl.jpg

:) oh yes!

One point of critique, though I suppose it might be my taste, I really think the DoF shines when you disable the CA and Grain Filter from within the prepass itself. Especially with CA all amped up like that, it loses the uniquely well modeled look that it possesses.

Also it was technically gpc2605 (or something like that) who originally made the .fx file. Mindstalker made it better :p

Spazznid

11941404204_7b87dd2134_o.png

Fun Fact about this one is that there is some REALLY terrible shadow banding on her arms and legs, but because of the distance from the camera and the downsample, you can barely tell.

iJqmRBJXhOKIe.png

I know the textures suck in PC MGS Rising because its a console port but even on PC the picture quality still doesn't look good.

jediyoshi

I know the textures suck in PC MGS Rising because its a console port but even on PC the picture quality still doesn't look good.

It looks like a case of the relatively low res film grain overlay getting stretched over the entire screen of the new resolution.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5479/11944212596_447b1116c6_o.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3834/11944181876_1eef1d0926_o.jpg

Oof.

It looks like a case of the relatively low res film grain overlay getting stretched over the entire screen of the new resolution.

I don't own the game but this is probably a question with an obvious answer - there's no way to remove that film grain currently right?

Parsnip

Oof.

I don't own the game but this is probably a question with an obvious answer - there's no way to remove that film grain currently right?
I wonder if it's just a texture. If yes, texmod solution could work, like it does for Remember Me.

Top Bottom