• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Microsoft E3 Conference

A LOT of CGI, but that's a potentially kickass lineup coming up. I never thought I'd be excited for a Microsoft product again, and here I am, considering it as a possible main console for this generation.
Let's see if Sony can win me back again later today.

only platinum games' game had my interest. Rest was just playing it safe.

F that conker bullcrap, and even though I'm excited for halo 5, it could have used less halo.

5/10

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Since MS did not show Halo 5, does that mean that Halo 5 is not stated for 2015? Phil said they will showcase games that are coming in 2015, but there was no Halo 5. I thought they would have shown 5-10 minutes campaign gameplay.

That chick from 343i said 'coming in 2015'. Probably Q4 2015.

I don't know why I'm surprised that so many people are saying they're disappointed. You guys must have absolutely ridiculous expectations.

Wall to wall games, plenty of exclusives, that conference was great in my opinion. Short of ending the show with a big bomb, I have no complaints.

Spades

People marking it down because it "Lacked Surprise Announcements" - are you kidding me? You're not judging it on the content but by the surprises? Especially when you knew half of the stuff was leaked beforehand. Wow.

Elman

That was about as good of an E3 conference that MS could possibly have, considering its position in the console race.

"90 minutes of games" is pretty impressive, even if its a mix of cross-platform, sequelitis, and CG-glimpses of games that will be released (or delayed) in 2015.

This is coming from a long-time Playstation fan who is not looking forward to 30 minutes of sales stats and trailers for games that have already been announced (or released!). I'm hoping to see if Sony can slam-dunk their conference with new exclusives, confident demonstrations of features like Playstation Now and Project Morpheus, and above all else, some meltdown-worthy surprises.

xAniki88

Banned
i liked this conference
90 minutes of games, games, games
maybe too much multiplatform and a little bit underwhelming exclusive front
but i really REALLY can't wait to play sunset. it look brilliant!!

KyleP29

As a PS4 owner looking for a reason to buy an Xbox 1 i was a bit disappointed.

All the multiplatforms shown are purchases ill make on PS4 (assuming that multiplats continue the current trend) and the exclusives didn't really grab me.

Halo collection looks great and might be enough to get one this winter if there's a compelling holiday bundle, if not looks like quantum break looks to be the point i jump in.

Overall 8/10 Conference. Good pacing for the most part and nice to see some new looks on games coming.

Alebrije

Crackdown was the 3rd p. Exclusive ? If yes, Meh

7/10. Good games but hardly game changers.

Least see what Sony delivers.

FefkdQ7.png

Hmm...

Birbo

Solid show, but nothing mind blowing. 6.75/10 for me.

+ Sunset Overdrive
+ Halo: Master Chief Collection
+ Crackdown
+ Phil Spencer & Humble Xbox

- Too much CG and not enough gameplay

Raven77

So....

Project Spark...

Conker...

Theoretically...couldn't the current rare developers and all the ones who have left the studio team up to make a "Conker" sequel in their spare time to release through the Spark game sharing system???

Darksol

Pro: Game after game after game. Ori looked stunning. Glad to see return of Crackdown and Phantom Dust

Con: Tons of multiplats that'll run better on the competition, no real megatons, too many CGI only trailers

7.25/10

Think it was a great conference especially phantom dust i said "niceeeeee" out loud but cg trailers seem to be the norm here in this conference and hope that wont be the trend for rest of e3 but who ami kidding it will be. Halo 5 cg trailer two years in a row? Whatever, but at least it was games games games that is def plus. 2015 so far for any of these consoles unless sony wow with me something slated this year.

d00d3n

Not very surprising lineup, but good presentation skills and a nice rapid pace of introducing new games from Microsoft. I am not a fan of the Fable games, but the villain feature looked cool and I liked the freezing big ogre effect (although, maybe CGI?). The Division (not an exclusive, I know) is far off I guess, but the augmented reality stuff in the game looked mindblowing. Crackdown felt very CGI-ish, but I am looking forward to it and will probably buy an xbone to play it. Of the low budget titles I think that the two metroidvanias with the gigant bird and with the fascist state setting looked most interesting.

Overall a great showing, but maybe a bit short on exclusives ... I wouldn't grade it before seeing Sony tonight.

Sony or Nintendo need just a single "surprise" to raise the bar after this one.
Literally everything was leaked or known beforehand. People at MS must have been frustrated as hell.

Sony just wins because they actually have games people want that Microsoft doesn't have.
Nintendo already wins by showing of Smash.

RulkezX

7/10 - No megaton, no Halo 5 footage , lots of multiplats with exclusive DLC.

+ Ori and some of the ID@Xbox titles looked cool. Crackdown 3 :)

Hmmm interesting show. Seems their megatons were cg trailers which makes me wonder how far in development they are. Though they may share a similar path to SO which was shown last year as a cg trailer and is releasing this year.

Interested to see what Sony has to show now, hopefully less CG at their show.

GHG

Sorry guys but I thought it was awful.

No megatons, lots of CGI, lots of bullshit timed (moneyhatted) exclusive DLC that makes no difference in the grand scheme of things.

For xbox diehards I can see why they may have seen it as good since there's a lot of nostalgia announced but for everyone else... What are the selling points? Where is that new IP console exclusive to draw people in and define a generation in the way that Gears of War did?

I cannot believe they blew their load before e3 for that. If they had announced the kinnectless version and Forza horizon 2 at this with some gameplay I would have been hyped but they decided to drip feed that to us prior to the conference for some unknown reason.

Not to mention the fact that they are sitting on Rare and wasting all of their IP's and their talent/creativity.

Easy conference for Sony to beat, all they have to do is show some gameplay and some new innovative hardware/ideas (VR, PS Now).

So after decompressing.

I liked the conference a lot. RAPID FIRE gamesgamesgames. Some were multiplat or some are on PC, but it's fun.

The 3 big game announcements were Phantom Dust 2, a Platinum game, and Crakcodnw 3.

LET THAT SINK IN. That blows my mind. And at a Microsoft conference no less. I'd sooner have expected Freelancer 2 starring Ian Ziering to pop up as the big tentpole for 2015 than to have those three be the big announcements, in that order.

I feel like this conference was more grounded than Sony's will be. Sony's shooting for 2015 and beyond. We'll see what they got.

Gizzie87

Neo Member
As someone who is looking for a reason to buy an Xbox One, it was pretty underwhelming, but I guess it was always going to be in some ways. Definitely felt like a safety first conference.

I found the original Crackdown games pretty mediocre.
Forza is good but not a reason to buy the console.
The trailer for ScaleBound wasn't enough to form much of an opinion, other than I'm not sure a silly guy killing big monsters fits the setting.
Fable looks like it should be a good, solid game - probably the pick of the bunch.
The Halo collection does nothing for me, and I've played most the previous ones.
I'm not sold on Sunset Overdrive. Purely to my own taste of course, but I become bored of games like that quite quickly.

It looks like they've bought a lot of exclusive or timed content, which will be interesting to see how much content Sony have purchased. But as far as that goes, I'd opt for better than first in any case so it means nothing.

The lack of D4 was a bit surprising, unless I've missed something in recent times.

If I remember right, they did not say the word 'Kinect' a single time. They hinted at it, and they showed games that obviously used it, but I don't think the word was actually spoken at all. Very interesting.

Only time I remember hearing kinect was at the indie game thing and the guy was just saying how indie developers can make games for it. I think the harmonix guy might have said it too, dont really remember though.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
No OP update with bullet points? Meh.

Can anyone do a quick one?

- SO gameplay
- AC: U gameplay
- Halo Collection
- Scalebound (trailer)
- Crackdown (trailer)
- Phantom Dust (?)

What else?
No QB?

We knew QB wasn't being shown. Thats for GDC.

facelike

I liked the conference. Games, games and games. But missing form there seemed to be a strong EA presence like last year as well as Activision again. I think EA likes to bounce back and forth from MS and Sony every other year. Destiny will likely be at Sony's conference for sure now. I also bet EA will debut Madden. ooooohh!!!

To all of those who hate the late show CGI, he did say before that part the rest of the games are coming 2015 and beyond. It makes since that gameplay is still being developed and not ready to show.

Good Job Microsoft. Your turn Sony. Bring it!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The fact that a lot of posters in here are disappointed is mainly due to the fact that... MS's conference was waaaay over hyped. It was only logical that they wouldn't be able to deliver.

Yeah, I saw this coming miles away.

I'm wondering if Sony will be stuck showing CG trailers for stuff 2015+.

I'm reserving judgement until after the Sony conference.

Top Bottom