• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Microsoft E3 Conference

How are people excited for a new Crackdown? The last one was horrible.
The last one was a rush job with half-baked co-op ideas and all took place in the same location as the original.

Still, gliding was fun, and so was co-op rampant destruction for kicks.

Step 1 for the remake: Make sure the car transformation works great. Step 2: Everything else.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Not a bad conferrence, but not overly great. If I owned an Xbox1, I would be disappointed.

Dead

well not really...yet
7/10

Unfortunately there were no surprises, everything was leaked/known prior. Very happy at no tv bullshit and minimal kinect.

Nearly everything shown besides the harmonix crap interests me, too bad all the later stuff is pure CG, docked a point for that.

AdanVC

It was a great conference BUT the actual content shown it wasn't too attractive for my taste. Too much CG trailers, too much shooting games, too much info about yearly games we already knew and that also are going to be on PS4, too much Halo....Scalebound was a great suprise but no gameplay was shown and I hate that, also because that means it will be a late 2015-early 2016 title.

Lot's of awesome looking indie titles tough. Cuphead, was the main highlight for me.

I hope all the E3's from now are formatted just like this. New Suit/Investor Bullshit slides, just fucking games. Yes, It was disappointing that most games were leaked before hand but you gotta give it to MS for only showing games. That Halo package is gonna be epic, so much damn content for $60 can't wait.

MS's weakness in first party was on full display here. Everything was 3rd party, most were multiplats which will run better on the competitor's machine, and the sole 1st party showing was a collection of games which are on average 10 years old and originally made by Bungie, a 3rd party studio which have left to make new things.

Solid B+ that could have been A- territory if we didn't know about so much of it before hand. They highlighted a lot of games coming out and I'm interested in playing a majority of the exclusives that they showed today. Nothing Earth shattering though.

7/10 - Solid nothing to convince me to purchase an XBOX
+++++++++++++ for the Witcher in general
+++Showing all the third party games(but will be better on other platforms PC etc)
+ All games
- No great new IP to get excited about (except Scalebound)
- Lackluster CoD demo

Think EA and Sony will most likely be better.

I think we can all agree that the Conker bit on Project Spark was complete bullshit. I seriously thought for a second they were going to show a new Conker game. Oh, you want Conker? Make it yourself, fucker.
I rose to heaven then sunk to hell in an instant.

Solid conference, really dug Ori, Inside, the ID@XBOX montage, and Scalebound. Your move, Sony!

Seik

Banned
xboxkillzonegifhighquality_by_syeds-d6u5m5j.gif

This was DOMINATION

Hahaha dat gif.

Let's wait to see what Sony's cards are shall we? :p

commedieu

Banned
Good on MS for showing that they have a lot of stuff in the pipeline. But, I can't say that any of the games showed were remarkable experiences that could only be found on the Xbox.

Vizzeh

Banned
It will probably have impressed the MS diehards, but the people looking to be seduced including myself, I would guess not many were completely wow'd. Some games were okay, some I would be interesting in, basically notches towards enticing a new console but at the end, it just didn't add up to justify it. Especially when half the showings were 3rd party that are likely better on the competition.

Sony better bring it later.

SJS

A boring conference which provided enough high quality exclusives to justify current XB1 purchases, but not enough to immediately tempt many of the purchases that haven't happened.

It's significantly better than last year's presentation, but that's not saying much. MS needed surprises or epic reveals, and they did not deliver on that front.

Best part: Kamiya's game.

Worst part: Nothing that produced real spectacle.

EDIT: The most awkward part was the Gears logo being in the ending overview trailer.

Figments

Pretty good conference.

They managed to convince me to buy a xbox one, something I thought would never happen.

But first things first. I FUCKING HATED the fact that MS preaches that they're about gamers, yet fucking money hatted everything to be delayed on the PS4. Fucking hated.

But other than that?

Nice set of announcements.

Phantom Dust being the highlight. Was not expecting it.
Scalebound still needs to show gameplay, but it's platinum. No danger there.
Sunset Overdrive looks like it'll be boring FAST. Doesn't interest me.
Halo... never cared about it.
Ori. Game of the conference.
Crackdown. Hopefully more like the 1st one than the second.
Fable Legends. First time a Fable game looks interesting.
Project Spark. Fuck you Microsoft.
Forza Horizon 2. Cringed at the clubs announcement. Do your own stuff MS. Don't go copy shit from the competitor.

The rest are 3rd party so they don't count... other than the fact MS paid to delay shit on PS4.

I give it a B+. Shame many of the announcements were CGI. Gameplay would've been nice.

I honestly was expecting Shenmue to be announced.

Clubs were in Forza Horizon 1.

GHG

Gold Member
So it looks like they have abandoned the cloud bullshit and also kinect?

Not that that's a bad thing... But it says a lot about their original vision for this console.

I give it a A off what they announced and showed but knowing everything they were going to show ahead of time killed that E3 excitement for me.

Fbh

Ok.
I'd give it a solid 7/10

Biggest plus is how it was 100% focused on games. No stupid Kinect demos, no "look how skype works on X1" and now ESPN app or stuff like that.
Phil spencer seems to be well focused, with more games and less BS

On the other hand, a lot of multiplatform games (though it made it more enjoyable for non xbox 1 owners) and, sadly, a lot CGI specially for announcements. They showed some cool games but I think they missed a "showstealer".
I mean, platinum games is awesome but not massive seller, and crackdown is a "just ok" franchise (1 was great, 2 was terrible).

Still, a solid showing. Hopefully Sony takes a note from this and don't spend half the conference talking about sales and showing live demos of wonderbook.

PS:
Dear Platinum games. It's getting really hard to be a loyal fan when you keep releasing exclusives for different platforms every year.
Last Year it was WiiU, now it's Xbox 1, next year it's going to be reaking ouya

TrueBlue

Structure of the conference was great: should be the way things are done at E3, just games games games.

Shame a lot of it wasn't overly interesting, at least for me. It lacked that knockout blow.

TheKayle

Banned
6/10. CGI galore, and way too much multiplatform shit. New platinum games was the highlight, allthough the main character looks like rhe biggest douche since remake Dante. Probably a good showing if you already own a bone, but not fucking much for the fence sitters. If sony drops either beast souls or TLG, then its back to 3rd row for microsoft.

3rd? lol for u maybe :)

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Based on the multiplats MS showed, what does everyone think Sony will have? I'm guessing BF: Hardline will show up for sure.

WinFonda

My big takeaway from Microsoft's 1st party stuff is just how many of their games are being self-referential, almost jokingly meta, "hey this is a videogame, but not just any videogame, our videogame! you're playing a videogame right now you know!" Couple that with the onslaught of 2015 and beyond CG trailers, and it was hard to get invested or immersed in much of what they were showing. Surprisingly, 3rd party stuff fared better overall in this regard and multiplatform games completely overshadowed the exclusives, and not just in number.

Phil was fantastic but I don't think that is the conference they were hoping for. XB1 is not going to all of a sudden light up the sales charts from any of that. As a owner of it I'm satisfied in my purchase but if I was picking between consoles the best titles were all 3rd party. It's Sonys to lose from a momentum POV.

JABEE

7/10. Okay improvement from a "D" last year.

Solid presentation. Nothing really special. Still want an Xbox One. Nothing to really justify another online subscription.

Nothing exciting for me outside of the 5 seconds I thought we were getting a new Conker.

Waaaaaay too many dragons and Microsoft kicking off another E3 with another call of doody means they are still a long way away from the late xbox/early 360 glory days for me.

Gets a big meh/10 from me.

Only Sunset Overdrive stood out from 1st party.. Was expecting more...

The rest is 3rd party and the "content first on xb1" is so 2009... I mean,come on...

If you'd have to choose between better graphics or two week exclusivity on DLC, which would you choose?

And I say that being an XB1 owner... I rate the conference a 7/10.

Will wait for Sony... If they do punch with great content and the remakes of GTA V and Last of Us, I'll buy a PS4 this week.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Copy-pasting, but that was about the perfect mix of CG announcements of games that were way off and long gameplay demos/segments (which there were a bunch of). Great conference. Nothing too OMGWTF besides the Capcom trailer, but great regardless.

MS did a great job. 8/10.

Solid, but not spectacular conference, I think. It was nice that they showed games only for the second year in a row, but the lack of any real surprises was a bit disappointing. I'd give it a 7/10.

Sianos

I suppose it might be wrong to be looking forward to buying the many multiplatform games on another platform and still treat it as a good showing, but still it means more video games for everyone and PC tweaks to combat the downgrades.

besada

Banned
I'm not sure what people expected, but I found it to be a reasonably impressive conference. Multiple unannounced exclusives, multiple games shown with game play, nothing but games.

The only part I found weird at all was Alex from Harmonix, who sincerely sounded like he couldn't give a fuck.

Top Bottom